Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

02-04-2016, 19:14   #31
shar01

Has anyone had any luck getting records from Grangegorman where they can't prove a connection to the person who was there?

The couple who adopted my grandmother also adopted another girl. I have her death cert and memorial card but nothing to show how she's connected to my grandmother (although she lived with my grandmother for a time so address might help).

Thanks,

S.
Advertisement
04-04-2016, 20:18   #32
-Leelo-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cailleachdubh View Post
Is there anyone else worth contacting apart from Carmel Kitching? I still haven't received an answer from them 5 months later, after sending all the records I have. Very disappointed as we are having a family reunion soon and these records would be a great source of conversation for the day.
I received an email from a different lady after initially emailing Carmel Kitching, she told me to send all the documents to her once I had compiled them, you could try email her to follow up? I can pm you her name and email address if you like?
Thanks from:
08-04-2016, 22:53   #33
Cailleachdubh

That'd be fantastic Leelo, thank you!
08-04-2016, 22:59   #34
Cailleachdubh

Incidentally, has anyone discovered that their ancestors who died in Grangegorman were buried in its cemetery? Any way of accessing those burial records? I know, I know - one thing at a time!
12-10-2016, 15:35   #35
perisna

Hello herself_there, I note you've mentioned contacting former staff members of the hospital. I am currently researching Grangegorman/St. Brendan's and was wondering if you could point me in the right direction in terms of finding this info or, if you would be aware of any you have contacted who might be comfortable with speaking to me; I'm interested in knowing the staff's general experiences working in the hospital
Advertisement
13-10-2016, 11:33   #36
tabbey

Quote:
Incidentally, has anyone discovered that their ancestors who died in Grangegorman were buried in its cemetery? Any way of accessing those burial records? I know, I know - one thing at a time!
Grangegorman cemetery is a military cemetery, it has nothing to do with the hospital.

The only connection is that they are both in the same large townland.
14-10-2016, 09:26   #37
riverina

The woman I am researching who died at Grangegorman was buried at Glasnevin Cemetery - perhaps check there, they have great records accessible online.
20-10-2016, 19:29   #38
herself_there

Hi,

I'm afraid I didn't get anywhere with my research into grangegorman as I just dont have the time at the moment to gather all the records I need and follow up on emails. I'll hopefully have more time for this early next year.
As well as having a relative who was a patient in grangegorman, my great grandmother also trained there. I believe she was one of the first batch of nurses trained in psychiatric nursing in the country (around 1915 I think). So if you ever do get any further with staff records, I'd love to hear about it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by perisna View Post
Hello herself_there, I note you've mentioned contacting former staff members of the hospital. I am currently researching Grangegorman/St. Brendan's and was wondering if you could point me in the right direction in terms of finding this info or, if you would be aware of any you have contacted who might be comfortable with speaking to me; I'm interested in knowing the staff's general experiences working in the hospital
10-01-2017, 21:09   #39
Whereisgerry?

Hi there,

I've contacted the hse about access to my great grandfather's file from Grangegorman. They have responded to me telling me that I need Next Of Kin consent. My great aunt and great uncle are still alive but I don't want to ask for their permission as they don't know I have these details and I don't want to annoy them. They obviously went through a lot when they were very young and I don't want to drag it all up.

Has anyone else been asked to provide next of kin details?
Advertisement
10-01-2017, 21:13   #40
pinkypinky

No, next of kin is pretty well defined. If you don't want to ask them, then you need to wait for them to be dead, and then go to whoever is next.
10-01-2017, 21:53   #41
Whereisgerry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkypinky View Post
No, next of kin is pretty well defined. If you don't want to ask them, then you need to wait for them to be dead, and then go to whoever is next.
Thanks Pinky pinky! I was hoping you would reply. Are you the next of kin for your records? I think my mother (as a grandchild) would qualify as next of kin once my great aunt & uncle pass away. I think I might have a long wait on my hands as they are fighting fit, spritely 85 and 82 year olds!! I don't want to upset them by asking this info - I'm not sure if they even know as they were only toddlers when their father died.

Last edited by Whereisgerry?; 10-01-2017 at 22:07.
11-01-2017, 09:31   #42
pinkypinky

Actually, I wasn't the next of kin, as a great-grandchild of the person, I am the same connection as you. All 7 of her grandchildren were still alive at the time. I'd say it's the fact that there are children of your g-grandmother alive that is the problem.
Thanks from:
11-01-2017, 11:01   #43
Whereisgerry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkypinky View Post
Actually, I wasn't the next of kin, as a great-grandchild of the person, I am the same connection as you. All 7 of her grandchildren were still alive at the time. I'd say it's the fact that there are children of your g-grandmother alive that is the problem.
Yeah, I guess that's probably it. Makes sense! I don't want to bother them with questions about their background as it's always been a closely guarded secret. I will find out more in years to come. Thanks for your replies!
04-08-2017, 15:13   #44
Cailleachdubh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whereisgerry? View Post
Hi there,

I've contacted the hse about access to my great grandfather's file from Grangegorman. They have responded to me telling me that I need Next Of Kin consent. My great aunt and great uncle are still alive but I don't want to ask for their permission as they don't know I have these details and I don't want to annoy them. They obviously went through a lot when they were very young and I don't want to drag it all up.

Who did you contact in the HSE out of interest? I've been emailing CK snd AK for two and a half years with no response!! So annoyed and frustrated! Latest attempt was about a month ago. The least they could do is acknowledge my request! Any ideas what I should do next?
04-08-2017, 16:41   #45
Whereisgerry?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whereisgerry? View Post
Hi there,

Who did you contact in the HSE out of interest? I've been emailing CK snd AK for two and a half years with no response!! So annoyed and frustrated! Latest attempt was about a month ago. The least they could do is acknowledge my request! Any ideas what I should do next?
Hi Cailleachdubh,
I will send you a name and email address later on this evening as I don't have access to my personal mail at work. If you don't hear from me just send me a PM and I will get the details for you. I initially contacted CK and my email was forwarded to a man named Sean something. I got a reply within a day or two from him.
Just as an FYI... If you aren't a direct next of kin then forget it. I was looking for details on my great grandfather but 2 of his children are still alive so I didn't get any further with my research.
Gerry
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion