Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HRV Monitoring

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,955 ✭✭✭G1032

A couple of things to check maybe -

1)

The signal quality of the reading - what is that like? Are you getting any artifacts in your readings? I had been using a Tickr but started to get a lot of signal interference. I've switched to a Polar H9 and no issues in months.

What is Signal Quality? - Elite HRV Knowledge Base

2)

Is the Garmin strap compatible with Elite HRV app? They give a list of recommended HR straps on their website and ones to avoid. Garmin HRM dual has not been tested in house by Eilte HRV. I mailed them a few months ago re Tickr issues and they told me they removed the Tickr as recommended device

Heart Variability Monitors and Elite HRV Compatible Monitors

I find it very accurate I have to say. All the same though, I just use it as another data point and contextualise the readings / scores. If for example, as can happen, I have a poor nights sleep and record a low readiness score in the morning, say a 5 or 6, and scheduled training isn't that difficult I'll go and do it. If you can determine with a strong degree of probability why your score is not optimal, that should help decide whether or not to train.

I will say this though. It all went a bit gaga post my second COVID vaccine. Scores made no sense. Average HRV plummeted in the weeks after and I was getting strange readings day to day. A friend with a Whoop also found the same. I felt awful too for about 7 or 8 weeks and it's only the last couple of weeks I've begun to feel 'normal' again and HRV is normal again. All form on the bike went out the window and I pulled the plug on racing for the year. HRV data seemed to be a day delayed when compared to how I was feeling. It was bizarre to be honest. Still not 100% now but better than I was and seem to be on the mend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Both apps tell me the signal quality is good and there is nothing to suggest during use that they are not compatible with the strap.

Your comments on the vaccine are interesting. I had a huge dip in performance after it too but around the same time as getting the vaccine I had a DIY accident where my rib cage came crashing down on the back of a chair. Nothing broken, just bruising. I was off the bike for a week or 2 and put the lack of getting back to prior fitness down to this. The vaccine may have played some part too.. who knows.

Both apps ask the how you feel questions which I never answer. Basically I generally feel the same apart from obvious recovery after training. If there was an app which linked to training though I'd be interested in using it. Something where for example you can enter a TSS or suffer score on mornings after training and it plots a fitness/fatigue graph across the various histograms (e.g. Readiness, HRV, 7 day Avg HRV, CV,rMSSD) already used by the app.

Advertisement