Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cycle infrastructure planned for south Dublin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

Just saw that. Very disappointing but nothing good comes easy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

daragh_ wrote: »
    Just saw that. Very disappointing but nothing good comes easy.

Disappointing but traffic in the Deansgrange/Bakers corner area has never been worse. Probably due to the new junction layout at both crossroads. If the new one way system for cycle lanes had gone in as planned it would have been blamed for the current traffic issues and would never have succeeded.Maybe better to hold fire for a few months,,
    I think the "alternative option" will be a cycle lane on Abbey Road. Keeps all the local residents happy but will be useless for anyone coming from Clonkeen Road/Clonkeen Park where Deansgrange Road will still be the preferred option.
    DLR council appear to be pursuing a policy of making motoring less attractive by traffic light phasing, one way systems, cycle/pedestrian priority and traffic calming so only a matter of time before we see major changes to the road infrastructure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭frash

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    Disappointing but traffic in the Deansgrange/Bakers corner area has never been worse. Probably due to the new junction layout at both crossroads. If the new one way system for cycle lanes had gone in as planned it would have been blamed for the current traffic issues and would never have succeeded.Maybe better to hold fire for a few months,,
    I think the "alternative option" will be a cycle lane on Abbey Road. Keeps all the local residents happy but will be useless for anyone coming from Clonkeen Road/Clonkeen Park where Deansgrange Road will still be the preferred option.
    DLR council appear to be pursuing a policy of making motoring less attractive by traffic light phasing, one way systems, cycle/pedestrian priority and traffic calming so only a matter of time before we see major changes to the road infrastructure

On a selfish level, Abbey Road would suit me better if they put it there

Full report on the recent consultation re DLR active travel routes..

Haven't read the entire thing but it appears that it is by no means dead in the water..

https://dlrcoco.citizenspace.com/infrastructure-climate-change/dlr-safe-walking-cycling-routes-consultation/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,095 ✭✭✭buffalo

Haven't read the entire thing but it appears that it is by no means dead in the water..

https://dlrcoco.citizenspace.com/infrastructure-climate-change/dlr-safe-walking-cycling-routes-consultation/

I had a skim last week. My favourite highlighted comment:
    I am
    absolutely in favour of
    safe infrastructure for cyclists,
    but not at the expense of other
    road users and pedestrians

ummm... I think you may need to look up the definition of 'absolute'. :D

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,292 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

:rolleyes:
    Cycle paths could ‘destroy’ Sandymount
    Sandymount village could be “absolutely destroyed” if a cycle path is built through it, a Dublin City Council meeting has heard.

[Mannix] Flynn said he was “pro cycling” but the plan “will see Sandymount village on the one hand maybe getting a cycle lane, on the other hand being entirely and absolutely destroyed”.

Lord Mayor Hazel Chu said the mitigation measures were put forward to do what was best for the community during the trial period. “Ultimately it is a trial,” she said. “I know people don’t believe it’s a trial, but it is a trial.”

Labour’s Dermot Lacey said a situation had emerged where “the local community – or large swathes of it – just don’t trust Dublin City Council on this”.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/cycle-paths-could-destroy-sandymount-1.4436759

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭markpb

The gruesome twosome: Flynn and Lacey pretending be in favour of cycle infrastructure but, as usual, not here and not now. Or, as Lacey puts it, not without more engagement.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭CapnHex

Haven’t these guys seen the success of Seapoint Ave. Maybe I’m in the minority but that is transformative, to see what segregation means. Small kids cycling at ease with parents or siblings, a truly pleasant experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

CapnHex wrote: »
    Haven’t these guys seen the success of Seapoint Ave. Maybe I’m in the minority but that is transformative, to see what segregation means. Small kids cycling at ease with parents or siblings, a truly pleasant experience.

Speaking of which, I came across a motorist tootling down the segregated part of the old Dun Leary Road this evening. I suspect he came out of the garage, there's just enough space to squeeze between the poles at that point. I must have a look tomorrow and see if he took out the pole at the other end of that stretch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,107 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

[Mannix] Flynn said he was “pro cycling”

Trump level delusion there - if there's one Dublin councillor synonymous with opposing cycling schemes, it's Mannix Flynn; he's never seen a cycle lane he doesn't hate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I'm hearing from sources that the Govt are going to step in and cancel the proposed Dublin City Council cycle lane "trial" on Strand Road, Sandymount.

The proposal to start the trial in January is in direct conflict with the emergency Dublin Port Traffic Management Plan, published last week to deal with anticipated widespread congestion at the Port and in the wider City area due to Brexit delays to cargo vehicles. That plan requires the R131 Strand Road to be fully open in both directions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭daragh_

'Sources'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,651 ✭✭✭✭ted1

daragh_ wrote: »
    'Sources'?

As I say to my kids if a newspaper quotes “sources” , it generally means it’s fiction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

Only saw the link and had a quick read of the summary. I live locally and see these as the most progressive and transformative changes for all infrastructure users to ever be considered in the area, I do not think people understand the significance of this.
    The RTE report on Deansgrange was shocking and really depressed me. Delighted to see DLR seem to be moving forward with this. If they manage it I will have a new found confidence in the council.

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    As I say to my kids if a newspaper quotes “sources” , it generally means it’s fiction.

Stay tuned Ted, all will be revealed post-Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭crisco10

frash wrote: »

I'm confused by these numbers..
    The proposed one-way system for Deansgrange Road will not proceed. Alternative routes will be considered. 600 of 639 submissions were opposed or suggested alternatives.

The closure of Avoca Avenue will not proceed. Alternative traffic calming measures will be considered to ensure safe cycling infrastructure. 499 of 577 submissions opposed

I was a respondent and was for both of these, was I really only 1 of 39 and 78 respectively? I struggle to believe that given the overall positive response to the consultation.

I feel mr devlin is over egging the "suggested alternatives" as a negative response...

crisco10 wrote: »
    I'm confused by these numbers..

I was a respondent and was for both of these, was I really only 1 of 39 and 78 respectively? I struggle to believe that given the overall positive response to the consultation.

I feel mr devlin is over egging the "suggested alternatives" as a negative response...

Indeed. The summary dosent bear out his figures..

https://dlrcoco.citizenspace.com/infrastructure-climate-change/dlr-safe-walking-cycling-routes-consultation/results/submissionsandexecutivesrecommendationssummaryreport.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭crisco10

I think what he has actually done is only look at references to those specific elements of the scheme, and ignore the 3612 (i.e. more than half) of the respondents who were completely supportive of the entire scheme.

Bonkers. talk about lies damned lies and statistics. (If i'm right in my interpretation, the report doesn't contain a "methodology" section)

North Dublin infrastructure - public consultation for R132 closes tomorrow at midnight.

https://consult.fingal.ie/en/consultation/r132-connectivity-project-non-statutory-consultation

Even a one line submission of general support helps, or DCC have some suggested points: https://www.dublincycling.com/cycling/r132-connectivity-project-public-consultation

Your voice helps, especially against the likes of 'Whether we like it or not the economy of this country was built on the Motor Car.'

• Advertisement

buffalo wrote: »
    North Dublin infrastructure - public consultation for R132 closes tomorrow at midnight.

https://consult.fingal.ie/en/consultation/r132-connectivity-project-non-statutory-consultation

Even a one line submission of general support helps, or DCC have some suggested points: https://www.dublincycling.com/cycling/r132-connectivity-project-public-consultation

Your voice helps, especially against the likes of 'Whether we like it or not the economy of this country was built on the Motor Car.'

I had a look and made an observation as I have cycled the route intermittently. However I found it vey complex compared to similar consultations on DLR for example. Only 132 submissions whereas a recent DLR one had over 6000...

I had a look and made an observation as I have cycled the route intermittently. However I found it vey complex compared to similar consultations on DLR for example. Only 132 submissions whereas a recent DLR one had over 6000...

I do wonder whether the fact that your submission is public makes a difference, or whether that's a reflection of the scheme itself. Turning a coast road into a cycletrack sounds lovely, turning a dual carriageway into one takes a bit more imagination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,449 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Had a walk around the area today and I am a bit more encouraged. It seems like Saba, Tiger Pizza and the Grange pharmacy are the only businesses with the big (A1?) posters. Newsagents, FXB, Fellinis all have very small (A5?) versions.
    But Pure pharmacy, new flower shop,SuperValu, Liberos, the Grange, Insomnia, dry cleaners, Wardrobe shop all have none at present. None of the car dealerships appear to have them either.

Had a look today, and I could only see the big poster on Tiger Pizza - no sign of anything even in Saba.

This closes in a few days (Jan 8th): https://consultation.dublincity.ie/traffic-and-transport/strand-road-cycle-trial-beach-road-options/

It's related to the Strand Road trial:
    During the consultation for the Strand Rd cycle trial we received submissions relating to Beach road:

* Clarification from the National Transport Authority (NTA) that Beach Rd does not currently need to cater for two way traffic for bus routes
    * Objecting to the removal of the footpath for a cycle lane
    * Concerns from residents of Marine Drive and Leahy’s terrace that vehicles heading to Sean Moore Rd would use these streets

Why we are consulting

In response to this DCC are proposing that the layout on Beech Road is as per Strand Road with one lane of outbound traffic, a 2 way cycle lane using what is currently the outbound traffic lane and no changes to the footpath. Details of this and the proposals for the junction with Sean Moore Road are available below along with the modelling data.

Have your say! Personally I think the more 2way cycle tracks, the better.

Big chance to give feedback for the Greater Dublin Area to the NTA:
    The National Transport Authority (NTA) has commenced review of the 2016 – 2035 Transport Strategy. This review will assess how the current plan is being implemented and will help guide a strategy update that will set out a transport infrastructure and service investment framework for Dublin, Meath, Kildare and Wicklow until 2042.

The NTA is now calling on you to help shape the strategic objectives and inform policy direction.

https://www.nationaltransport.ie/consultations/greater-dublin-area-transport-strategy/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,855 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Done :cool:

Pretend "pro-cycling" Sandymount group continue to try to stop the development of a safe cycle route so that they can keep their roads congested with cars...
    https://twitter.com/dublincycling/status/1347497316798889985

This tweet reminded me of this thread...

https://twitter.com/adamtranter/status/1347530929816932353

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Here's the consultation, a-f*cking-gain

https://consultation.dublincity.ie/traffic-and-transport/strand-road-cycle-trial-beach-road-options/consultation/intro/

please submit to make it one way.

It's amazing what a fancy address can do, they're just kicking the can down the road, at this stage I can't see it going ahead as planned tbh, and if it doesn't, well I can't see the status quo changing in my lifetime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,651 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Pretend "pro-cycling" Sandymount group continue to try to stop the development of a safe cycle route so that they can keep their roads congested with cars...
    https://twitter.com/dublincycling/status/1347497316798889985

I’m sure some of their good friends are cyclists. ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,107 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Here's the consultation, a-f*cking-gain

https://consultation.dublincity.ie/traffic-and-transport/strand-road-cycle-trial-beach-road-options/consultation/intro/

please submit to make it one way.

It's amazing what a fancy address can do, they're just kicking the can down the road, at this stage I can't see it going ahead as planned tbh, and if it doesn't, well I can't see the status quo changing in my lifetime.

this consultation is just for the Beach Road (irishtown) end I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Id say anyone that actually lives on the coast road would like to see it 1-way. Its the people that live on the rat runs that dont want it.
    I'm pro 1-way but I dont live in Sandymount!

Not a chance this is proceeding now.

There are some very clear thresholds of scale and financial cost to public projects under a whole host of different legislation, which require them to be submitted to escalating levels of planning approval. This proposal, trial or no trial, should have been subjected to a formal Part VIII process at the very least.

It would have taken whatever professional advisors the combined local groups have retained, all of about 5 minutes to advise them of that. The referral to An BP will take 2 or 3 months minimum (likely much longer in the current circumstances). Then, if DCC still have any money or pride left, it'll take another 3 or 4 months, minimum, to run a Part VIII process. And THEN, assuming the track as proposed is approved, they'd have to tender for it as a single construction project, not rely on minor works providers, as project splitting to avoid procurement is also illegal! Mind you, when the planning process refers back to long standing S2S objectives, they'll be asked, why aren't you doing this now?

Anyway, by the time all that happens, I suspect we'll be getting back to more normal patterns of travel and appetites will have changed. Will anyone in DCC lose their job for this rank incompetence? Well, you know the answer to that.....

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Larbre34 wrote: »
    There are some very clear thresholds of scale and financial cost to public projects under a whole host of different legislation, which require them to be submitted to escalating levels of planning approval. This proposal, trial or no trial, should have been subjected to a formal Part VIII process at the very least.
    Well, go on. Tell us about the thresholds of scale and financial costs.

Because it's starting to look like the whole legal argument is based on one sub-article under part 8.

Not a chance this is proceeding now.

It would have taken whatever professional advisors the combined local groups have retained, all of about 5 minutes to advise them of that. The referral to An BP will take 2 or 3 months minimum (likely much longer in the current circumstances). Then, if DCC still have any money or pride left, it'll take another 3 or 4 months, minimum, to run a Part VIII process. And THEN, assuming the track as proposed is approved, they'd have to tender for it as a single construction project, not rely on minor works providers, as project splitting to avoid procurement is also illegal! Mind you, when the planning process refers back to long standing S2S objectives, they'll be asked, why aren't you doing this now?

Anyway, by the time all that happens, I suspect we'll be getting back to more normal patterns of travel and appetites will have changed. Will anyone in DCC lose their job for this rank incompetence? Well, you know the answer to that.....

Why wouldn't it qualify as a section 38 development?

Why wouldn't it qualify as a section 38 development?

No doubt thats DCCs argument.

I agree with the local groups that the scale and cost exceed the Sec 38 definitions. Its too widescale, too costly and too impactful. It requires a Part 8 environmental report in my view. An BP will adjudicate on that argument.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

No doubt thats DCCs argument.

I agree with the local groups that the scale and cost exceed the Sec 38 definitions. Its too widescale, too costly and too impactful. It requires a Part 8 environmental report in my view. An BP will adjudicate on that argument.

Section 38 makes no reference to scale, cost or impact.

Also, what's a 'Part 8 environmental report?' If an Environmental Impact Assessment or an Appropriate Assessment is required then Part 8 does not apply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,673 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

TheW1zard wrote: »
    Id say anyone that actually lives on the coast road would like to see it 1-way. Its the people that live on the rat runs that dont want it.
    I'm pro 1-way but I dont live in Sandymount!

I saw one house on Gilford road, its off the Strand road with a no buses sign in their window, a little ironic as there is an old tram depot on the road :pac:

That is my thought though, what would roads like Park avenue be like. My kids cycle the "rat runs" to school so curious at least how it will work out, but there does seem to be plans to modify traffic and create bike lanes on some of these roads.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

Peregrine wrote: »
    Section 38 makes no reference to scale, cost or impact.

Also, what's a 'Part 8 environmental report?' If an Environmental Impact Assessment or an Appropriate Assessment is required then Part 8 does not apply.

I'm paraphrasing. But I'm not the one you need to be arguing this with.

The local groups that all needed to come together to consider the wider implications on their communities have done so, not just Sandymount, but Irishtown, Merrion, Bath Avenue and so on. They realise that effectively blocking an important cross city regional route without a suitable diversion option is bad news for their villages and streets and that they are being sold a substandard pup.

The solution to this is to put the cycleway, properly designed and funded, on the Promenade as S2S always envisaged and to carry out village enhancement schemes in Sandymount and Irishtown to discourage extraneous traffic and give them the benefits of a people focussed public realm that has been seen in places like Blackrock.

The Strand Road "trial" is doomed now in my opinion, one way or another.

I'm paraphrasing. But I'm not the one you need to be arguing this with.

You're the one saying that it's your opinion, are you not going to stand by it?
    The solution to this is to put the cycleway, properly designed and funded, on the Promenade as S2S always envisaged and to carry out village enhancement schemes in Sandymount and Irishtown to discourage extraneous traffic and give them the benefits of a people focussed public realm that has been seen in places like Blackrock.

Why won't this work with the current proposed trial design?

You're the one saying that it's your opinion, are you not going to stand by it?

Why won't this work with the current proposed trial design?

I stand by it absolutely. Section 38 works are fine for localised measures, like putting in a few ramps, or a signalised crossing or a junction improvement, not a fundamental and widely impactful alteration plan like the Strand Road proposal is.

Dublin City Council's own explanatory document on the Part 8 process says the following

"Heading: Types of Development that require the Part 8 Procedures...

... 2. The construction of a new road or the widening or realignment of an existing road, where the length of new road or of the widened or realigned road is 100 metres or more."

I don't need to tell anyone that the length of road subject to this proposal exceeds 1,200 metres. The argument is - and I will be on one side and you the other - that because they aren't proposing to change the underlying fabric of the road, that Part 8 does not apply. Thats what An Bord Pleanála will have to adjudicate. I'm not sure if Part 8 has been tested quite like this, but I do know it makes no provision for temporary works or so-called trials.

Its worth bearing in mind too, that when Section 38 is mentioned, DCCs own executive referred to the proposal as "unorthodox". Hardly a forthright argument for measures that are notionally best practice.

As for Sandymount getting a village scheme, AND Strand Road being reduced to one way? In my example of Blackrock village, they were able to make the main street one-way and reclaim road space for pedestrian, cycle and social distancing use, precisely because the Blackrock Bypass exists as an alternative. Strand Road is that alternative for Sandymount. Heavy vehicles that have legitimate business in the area, deliveries, construction carriers, bin trucks, they're all entitled to gain access, in some manner. The residents groups argue that a combination of all these proposals turn their district into something of an island, interfering with the amenity of their properties and so on.

As I say, these are arguments, they will now happen before An BP, probably also at City Council level once again and maybe even before the Courts at some point.

They may find that my interpretation of things and the advice the combined residents groups have received is wrong, to some degree, but my experience tells me they will not.

I think a longer term solution is a dedicated cycle path on the inside of the sea wall on the Strand road and extend it out to Blackrock, it could be combined with flood defense work and a better route to the lighthouse, as it is, its a bit of a mess.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

silverharp wrote: »
    I think a longer term solution is a dedicated cycle path on the inside of the sea wall on the Strand road and extend it out to Blackrock, it could be combined with flood defense work and a better route to the lighthouse, as it is, its a bit of a mess.
    but...but...but where are the drivers meant to park then?

https://twitter.com/Annahadfield/status/1348290334627930115

but...but...but where are the drivers meant to park then?

https://twitter.com/Annahadfield/status/1348290334627930115

lol, hadnt seen that before, must be a lockdown thing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

lol, hadnt seen that before, must be a lockdown thing

You're supposed to exercise within 5km and some people will still drive... to exercise?

strandroad wrote: »
    You're supposed to exercise within 5km and some people will still drive... to exercise?

we need special D4 plates, keep the riff raff away

strandroad wrote: »

I live a couple of clicks from the Phoenix Park. I drove there to run yesterday, because a) the streets near me are wide and busy with pedestrians so its hard to distance and b) because I bloody like running there.

While those cars shouldn't be parked on the grass at Sandymount, it does go to show, the space they take up would make a perfect two-way cycletrack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I live a couple of clicks from the Phoenix Park. I drove there to run yesterday, because a) the streets near me are wide and busy with pedestrians so its hard to distance and b) because I bloody like running there.

While those cars shouldn't be parked on the grass at Sandymount, it does go to show, the space they take up would make a perfect two-way cycletrack.

It's a nature reserve. You can't build on the inside. That should be the end of that discussion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

The route to the lighthouse is a bit of a mess ? Why so ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement