Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So long folks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,433 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

astrofool wrote: »
    It was either allow sub forums for all the teams, or get rid of the existing ones, this forum only existed because WhiteWashMan was a friend of Tom who ran boards, and didn't really know the dynamics of teams and their supporters and the mess it would create in the long term (although it was pointed out to them multiple times when the forum was created, it was hand-waved away).

Instead we get "super threads" for each team on the main forum.

That maybe so, but the timing is off, it should have been closed down years ago if that was the case? What harm have we done to anyone?
    It's a sad indictment of the the current state of the boards soccer forums that we would rather leave boards then join the main soccer forums.
    I think boards management need to seriously look at the way it is run and implement some moderator changes it might be a better forum.
    Just as an update I have lodged a post on the feedback forum as I am sure others have and got word back that from an independent mod that the situation is being dicussed at the moment. Maybe nothing will come of it but I think it's worth fighting for!
    To Dare Is To Do!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

As a former moderator of the Soccer forum and Category moderator of Sport this is a baffling decision to snuff out a long term, thriving and active community.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭dodgygeezer

What harm would it have done to let a couple of hundred people interact together happily in a dusty corner of boards without bothering other people? This forum brought a lot of joy to people. People who work hard, go through the stresses of 70-80 odd years on the planet and enjoy the occasional glimmer of fun that following a wayward football team brings.
    There will also be 10 years of accumulated lore and experiences down the drain.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

What harm would it have done to let a couple of hundred people interact together happily in a dusty corner of boards without bothering other people? This forum brought a lot of joy to people. People who work hard, go through the stresses of 70-80 odd years on the planet and enjoy the occasional glimmer of fun that following a wayward football team brings.
    There will also be 10 years of accumulated lore and experiences down the drain.

MAybe because we are happily discussing football without needing any intervention from mods.....
    they would rather the hassle and the WUM in the soccer forum .......

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

Just for clarity, when I was soccer mod I tried to get here shut down as well. The mods were continually getting requests from fans of a number of teams in particular for their own forums. This was always used as the fulcrum of their arguement, personally I was totally against individual fan forums as it would gut the main forum. I petitioned the admins and a discussion was started with the mods of this forum, us and the admins. When we consulted each other we saw that there was an established community in place and that destroying it served no purpose at all other than removing the need to have an additional sentence in the refusal pm to set up any further individual forums.

The real difference I see between then and now is that the admins went to bat for the community that was in place and defended it from the mods and made us see the benefit of protecting the community, it appears the current admins and management don't value community any longer. Based on the craven shutting down of the feedback forum they don't favour communication either.

(Man I never though as an Arsenal fan I'd be defending the Spurs forum).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭dodgygeezer

From a Spurs fan, to an Arsenal fan - you're a gentleman Gandalf.

gandalf wrote: »
    Just for clarity, when I was soccer mod I tried to get here shut down as well. The mods were continually getting requests from fans of a number of teams in particular for their own forums. This was always used as the fulcrum of their arguement, personally I was totally against individual fan forums as it would gut the main forum. I petitioned the admins and a discussion was started with the mods of this forum, us and the admins. When we consulted each other we saw that there was an established community in place and that destroying it served no purpose at all other than removing the need to have an additional sentence in the refusal pm to set up any further individual forums.

The real difference I see between then and now is that the admins went to bat for the community that was in place and defended it from the mods and made us see the benefit of protecting the community, it appears the current admins and management don't value community any longer. Based on the craven shutting down of the feedback forum they don't favour communication either.

(Man I never though as an Arsenal fan I'd be defending the Spurs forum).

So, the only reason the "admins" want to shut us down, is to stop other supporters from other clubs requesting their own forum?
    It doesnt make sense...
    Why not allow each club to have their own forum? Surely their would be less "modding" needed due to the lack of WupM and the abuse that goes on ?
    Wouldnt it make their job easier if the rival supporters were just left to their own forum....
    Then if there was just one Thread for all supporters to "meet up" to "discuss" football if they wanted to ...

Just dont understand it ............

I have no idea why they want to shut it down now. What I am saying is that in the past (this is around ten years ago!) that was the reason along with my own belief that one forum was all that was needed. What I didn't consider then was that the forum was established and a community had grown.

What beggars belief here is that a decision has been made with absolutely no consultation with the community in place and with no real ability for them to provide feedback or to petition in numbers to protect their forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

It strikes me that other than trying to prevent the cyclical argument of "why can't X have a forum if Spurs do?" the only other logical explanation for this move is to drive traffic from this forum to the main one, in the hope that the post count will increase by at least a proportionate amount. Boards is a business, and active users are surely the main driver of the business' income?

If that is the aim it appears to have failed. At least 30 regulars from here have decamped for their own forum, and the Spurs superthread languishes on page 2 of the SF, with more posts from non-Spurs than Spurs. That begs the question: if non-Spurs wanted to discuss the club on the SF what was stopping them?

Gandalf has hit the nail on the head though, this site used to be about fostering community, now it appears happy to destroy active communities with no consultation. It's sad, but perhaps inevitable, and possibly for the best (for the posters from here) in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,457 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I have no idea why they want to shut it down now. What I am saying is that in the past (this is around ten years ago!) that was the reason along with my own belief that one forum was all that was needed. What I didn't consider then was that the forum was established and a community had grown.

What beggars belief here is that a decision has been made with absolutely no consultation with the community in place and with no real ability for them to provide feedback or to petition in numbers to protect their forum.

What's sad is that 10 years ago, admins like yourself couldn't see ahead and there could have been multiple thriving community forums instead of just the one. It's a long series of errors going back to naïve stupidity at the beginning.

Where the problem also is, by admitting you're an Arsenal fan, by the kiddish charter of this forum, you should be banned now with no reason given.

• Advertisement

astrofool wrote: »
    What's sad is that 10 years ago, admins like yourself couldn't see ahead and there could have been multiple thriving community forums instead of just the one. It's a long series of errors going back to na stupidity at the beginning.

Firstly I was a mod and cmod, secondly I personally believe that one forum should cover the subject but given the Spurs forum is in place so long and is reasonably active it should either be granted an exception or at the very least the community consulted with.
    Where the problem also is, by admitting you're an Arsenal fan, by the kiddish charter of this forum, you should be banned now with no reason given.

Losing St. Totteringham's day this year was already punishment enough!

[QUOTE=gandalf;

Losing St. Totteringham's day this year was already punishment enough![/QUOTE]

Get used to it ................... :D:P:D:D

We'll see ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Goodbye folks I'll be sad to see this forum close made plenty of friends through the last 11 years.

For people looking for alternatives I use the Dublin spurs and Irish spurs supporters ground on Facebook. Great friendly bunches.

As much as I hate the main forum I'll give it another try I have had multiple bans and yellow,red cards so I am on thin ice

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

We'll see ;)

+1 we will be doing very well if we can stay in the top 4 again imho, Wembley is curse that we need to shift very early in the season .be delighted if we draw our opener v chels and win our next few homers.

And also I want to say thank Gandalf for being a gent of a gunners fan I lot of times for the gracious fan's in the sf like yourself and tipp gunner spring to mind along with kev1.3s as the most likeable decent, Chelsea fan .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

United fan here.

Strange decision from the powers that be but unsurprising given the current state of boards.

Reminds me of when the thunderdome was closed without any warning because one of the brass got a hair up their hole about it.

The decision was rescinded after a lengthy feedback thread and brought back as a bastardized version of its former self and then it was eventually closed for good.

I find it disgusting and cowardly that none of those that made the decision have the common courtesy, and that's all it is, a bit of fcuking courtesy, to come in here and give you guys a reason for the closure.

It's extremely concerning that two private forums that are causing no hassle whatsoever can be closed on a whim without a second thought for the members. Most of my posts on boards nowadays are in private forums so what's to stop admins deciding to close those too?

Horrible, ham fisted and massively disrespectful to the user base. Then again, it seems these days the user base is a distant second to everything else on Boards.

The fact that it's the user base that made the site what it is yet large swathes of it can be treated like this says all you need to know.

Sorry to see us lose yer spot lads, bad day for the parish.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

West Ham fan here and long time Boards member. Came on to post how stupid this decision is but I see Rod Munch has summed it up perfectly in the previous post. Stupid unnecessary decision by boards which is becoming par for the course unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭abff

slegs wrote: »
    I have created a new forum www.irishspurs.com (I have access to quality server space and will fund other costs for the moment)

I know its a long shot with forums on the decline but if there is a demand I am willing to support the forum

I guess this post will be removed soon but spread the word if you can

Thanks

I've joined (same username) and I've also sent a PM to Beasty. Not really expecting a response, but I live in hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭abff

I tried to post on the feedback thread but was told I don't have the necessary user privileges. Does anyone know what is required in order to be able to post there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Just a quick note before this thread is locked and the doors are finally closed on our little hide away here for good.

It's been a pleasure to get to know you all and I've always looked forward to the post match and transfer discussions.

It will be strange to sit in the pub watching our games next season and not having a bit of in-match banter/venting /celebrations etc. I might even have to talk to real life people. Scary.

I cannot see who are the winners in this decision. There are only losers.
    (Except my wife who I strongly suspect might have had a part in petitioning to have this place closed).

There have been many highs and lows in here but mostly highs, a particular highlight of mine was the post man city result 7 years ago when we qualified for the champions league for the first time ever.

Ill register in the new place but I'm gonna stick around on boards purely for the fantasy football forum.

... And with that, I bid you guys good luck. It is with a heavy heart that I will say for one final time....

.... LEVY OUT!!

Audere Est Facere

COYS

abff wrote: »
    I tried to post on the feedback thread but was told I don't have the necessary user privileges. Does anyone know what is required in order to be able to post there?

I tried the same, as the guy that posted their suggestion got the usual type of answer .... :rolleyes:
    "They" are not for turning ........

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,142 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

From looking at the Feedback charter, only the person who started the thread can post on it. There's a separate "Open Discussion" sub forum though, I think what needs to happen is someone asks an admin/Niamh/Mark to start a thread there so people can voice their opinions.

Anyone else having trouble logging into IrishSpurs ?????

Mickeroo wrote: »
    From looking at the Feedback charter, only the person who started the thread can post on it. There's a separate "Open Discussion" sub forum though, I think what needs to happen is someone asks an admin/Niamh/Mark to start a thread there so people can voice their opinions.

Im in enough trouble ...... :rolleyes::D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Just a quick note before this thread is locked and the doors are finally closed on our little hide away here for good.

It's been a pleasure to get to know you all and I've always looked forward to the post match and transfer discussions.

It will be strange to sit in the pub watching our games next season and not having a bit of in-match banter/venting /celebrations etc. I might even have to talk to real life people. Scary.

I cannot see who are the winners in this decision. There are only losers.
    (Except my wife who I strongly suspect might have had a part in petitioning to have this place closed).

There have been many highs and lows in here but mostly highs, a particular highlight of mine was the post man city result 7 years ago when we qualified for the champions league for the first time ever.

Ill register in the new place but I'm gonna stick around on boards purely for the fantasy football forum.

... And with that, I bid you guys good luck. It is with a heavy heart that I will say for one final time....

.... LEVY OUT!!

Audrey Est Facere

COYS

I'm no latin scholar, 2nd Row, but I think you are suggesting "Audrey is to do".

I'm game anyway. Have you her phone number?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Mickeroo wrote: »

I posted a thread in the new feedback forum about the overall issue.

It has yet to be approved despite admin activity in the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Deise Vu wrote:
    I'm no latin scholar, 2nd Row, but I think you are suggesting "Audrey is to do".

Stupid auto correct. Fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,433 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Rod Munch wrote: »
    I posted a thread in the new feedback forum about the overall issue.

It has yet to be approved despite admin activity in the forum.

Yeah I did the same 3 days ago no sign of it.Also lads don't be saying bye see you on the new forum we should be fighting to the bitter end to save our forum!
    Everyone should attempt to create a feedback post if there is only a few of us doing it then we will get nowhere!
    Also really appreciate the fans of other teams, mods from other groups and ex mods for showing support and solidarity with us, it's a real shame you're not running the show! Thanks guys

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement