Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fake Railwayana Rogues Gallery

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭91wx763

Some lovely pictures uploaded to the IRRS members only flickr page today containing various genuine lineside signs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

91wx763 wrote: »
    Some lovely pictures uploaded to the IRRS members only flickr page today containing various genuine lineside signs.

Oh well, that rules me out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭91wx763

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Oh well, that rules me out.

Sorry JD, wasn't deliberate :D

Still hot from the foundry. Unsold at a recent NI auction - are buyers waking up at last?

DNGR.jpg

Surely this one is real - look at all the rust? :D

DNGR%2BFAKE.JPG

And here's one from a company that actually did have the GSWR pattern signs - but very few - and this isn't one of them. Ignoring the lettering, there's zero evidence of 70+ years of weathering from salty Atlantic winds which batter West Kerry.

Both currently for auction.

T%2526D%2BGATE%2BSIGN.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 503 ✭✭✭interlocked

Another classic, up for auction at the moment

1100061022_PREVIEW.JPG

The DNGR sign is currently mushrooming, I've seen four or five in the last few weeks. Here's one.
    1100083195_PREVIEW.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,540 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Lialbe :pac:

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

Another classic, up for auction at the moment

1100061022_PREVIEW.JPG

The DNGR sign is currently mushrooming, I've seen four or five in the last few weeks. Here's one.
    1100083195_PREVIEW.JPG

I have a GSWR in my garden, I know it's a fake but it's getting nice and rusty now..... ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,111 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Isambard wrote: »
    I have a GSWR in my garden, I know it's a fake but it's getting nice and rusty now..... ;-)

Soon be worth a fortune then :D

Wake me up when it's all over.

This thing sold for €20 at Castleblaney this evening - €20 more than it's worth. The 'original' was affixed to the old water tower at Castlegregory Junction in the 1990s but was liberated in more recent times. You know things have reached rock bottom when even modern plaques are liberated and then copied. :rolleyes:

T%2526%2BD.jpg

• Advertisement

This thing sold for €20 at Castleblaney this evening - €20 more than it's worth. The 'original' was affixed to the old water tower at Castlegregory Junction in the 1990s but was liberated in more recent times. You know things have reached rock bottom when even modern plaques are liberated and then copied. :rolleyes:

T%2526%2BD.jpg

€20 and it's a nice souvenir any more and it's a rip off. The original sign would be totally unique, so anyone claiming this one to be genuine is admitting handling stolen goods!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,588 ✭✭✭✭L1011

20 after commission and the seller almost certainly didn't make anything on it - postage from whatever cheapo casting foundry they're using, paint, effort to rough it up etc.

L1011 wrote: »
    20 after commission and the seller almost certainly didn't make anything on it - postage from whatever cheapo casting foundry they're using, paint, effort to rough it up etc.

ah but they're looking for a mug to pay 50 or 80.... probably the guy who put it in the auction was that mug!

I notice a growing number of this sign appearing in recent months - seem to be originating in the Limerick area. What was the W & W R?

W%2B%2526%2BW%2BR%2BSIGN.jpeg

I notice a growing number of this sign appearing in recent months - seem to be originating in the Limerick area. What was the W & W R?

W%2B%2526%2BW%2BR%2BSIGN.jpeg

no room for the third W no doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

I notice a growing number of this sign appearing in recent months - seem to be originating in the Limerick area.

Limerick area, a polite designation of Rathkeale.
    No doubt these dealers will be travelling to markets throughout these islands as restrictions are lifted.

So w&wr could mean Wiltshire & Western Railway just as easily as Waterford & Wexford Railway.
    Keep your options open for any opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

tabbey wrote: »
    Limerick area, a polite designation of Rathkeale.
    No doubt these dealers will be travelling to markets throughout these islands as restrictions are lifted.

So w&wr could mean Wiltshire & Western Railway just as easily as Waterford & Wexford Railway.
    Keep your options open for any opportunity.

Have you a source for that claim?

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

They only make them for the UK market, looks like high quality reproductions as well, not some of the crappy ones shown here.

Glad to see they didn't include detailed instructions. 🤢

I've seen some of them being sold in Ireland. The ones shown may be for the UK market but that doesn't mean they don't have others for Ireland. The Flying Scotsman and Mallard ones for instance are not high quality reproductions in any shape or form!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,526 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Some look ok from a distance but are either undersized for convenience to fix to your garden fence, wrong fonts, complete works of fiction or 'funny' signs as the one in the pic. Definitely not of a quality that would fool anyone in the know.

True, but they're far superior in appearance (from a distance) to the crappy trespassing signs posted here over the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Board Walker

I was at my friends place last week and saw 5 railway signs on a pallet. My friends dad started on the railway in 1966 and retired about 10 years back. They weren't for sale but i had to tell him to move them as a lot of people come and go from their place as my friend has a garage there. I believe most came from the Dungarvan line. They had level crossing gates next to their house Just outside Mallow on the line. I would believe they are all real, they need a bit of attention. either Sand blasted or electrolysis but they were heavily corroded but not irreparable in the slightest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,540 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I don't see how a stolen sign is any better from a moral standpoint than a fake one. Arguably, it's worse.

Scrap the cap!

Don't clean them off if you need to sell at any point. A cruddy really rusted notice is a good indicator that it's not fake.

I think the Board of the Waterford Dungarvan & Lismore would need their property back, oh wait, they're all dead. :D

So is the company...(I don't ever remember Woolworths reclaiming all their signage when they went!) 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Board Walker

I doubt he will sell them, he wouldn't sell me one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 grahamozco

Hi, i am over in Esses, UK. And i pick up items from house clreances. This week i have come access this sign. And wanted to get your views on this one, as to weather it is real or a reproduction.

Many thanks for your view and replies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,588 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Fake, that template has been made with every railway company name on it,

Advertisement