Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Movie Identification (Post here if you're looking for the name of a movie)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Just looking at the trailer there, it's not The Great Escape is it you're thinking of?

No, its a much more modern sound.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Jimdagym wrote: »
    Its here at 2:40
    That's just part of Thomas Newman's score. Unless it was based on something, or sounds similar to something he did before.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

There is a film I saw years ago on TV that I'd love to know the name of. I was quite young so I don't remember too much about it.

It was in the late 80s I think. It was about three guys running some race through a desert. During the race they keep being attacked by some biker gang. I think one of the three guys was a yuppie who gets killed. I think the biker gang had whips and/or lassos.

I think in the end two of the men made it out of the desert with the biker gang chasing them.

That is all I remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭barneysplash

There is a film I saw years ago on TV that I'd love to know the name of. I was quite young so I don't remember too much about it.

It was in the late 80s I think. It was about three guys running some race through a desert. During the race they keep being attacked by some biker gang. I think one of the three guys was a yuppie who gets killed. I think the biker gang had whips and/or lassos.

I think in the end two of the men made it out of the desert with the biker gang chasing them.

That is all I remember.

Sounds like a Mad Max rip-off. I'm sure they were made, especially by
    Italian studios, done on the cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

Sounds like a Mad Max rip-off. I'm sure they were made, especially by
    Italian studios, done on the cheap.

I think it was a contemporary setting, not post-apocalyptic.

Here's another one I'm after.

Danny Glover is in it.

He goes to a family reunion at a funeral I think.

He is the black-sheep of the family, with a history of crime and possibly murder.

He takes a naive young nephew under his wing and teaches him about
    using marked cards to win money at poker.

They all drink a type of poitin called corn liquor.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,028 ✭✭✭✭Basq

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭budgemook

basquille wrote: »

:D Did exactly the same thing and got same result

Thanks for that guys!

He has so many films, I didn't think it would be enough to go on.

To show my gratitude to everyone, here is a film I recently identified.

I saw a bit of this film years ago on UTV one night.

It starred Sidney Poitier and Tom Berringer.

Sidney Poitier is an FBI agent, (I thought he was a cop)

He is chasing a killer who has a white bag of diamonds.

The killer tries to escape by going up in the mountains.

He takes his guide, Kirstie Allie, hostage.

The film is called Deadly Pursuit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Help appreciated

Saw this years ago in the 90's on RTE.

It's like a live TV broadcast so it's like you're watching everything live. They have the studio and cut to different reporters around the city. Sometimes they get updates from the police

It's in the USA or Canada and terrorists put a bomb on a small boat and in the end it's blown up and the camera crew capture the image.

You'd think I could find it with that info but I've searched for ages and can't :(
    Not a flashy film, looks low budget but it was very, very cleverly done and these were the days before Sky news and 24 hour news channels so it was something new

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Sounds like Special Bulletin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Pete, you are a legend sir

In the 90's RTÉ had a show called the Last Picture Show and I always remembered that film but spent aaaaaaaages trying to find it again

Yeah, looks very low budget but it was something different.

Live broadcasts, real time, constant updates, nuclear bombs and terrorists?
    Jack Baeur and 24 ripped this film off ;)

Thanks again

That Special Bulletin is a great film. I remember when it was on RTE as well.

After each commercial break, there is a screen that says this is a fictional movie,
    in case anyone thought it was the real thing. Very convincing and well-made.

After a quick google, there's no sign of it on DVD.
    It is on VHS though in the NTSC American format.
    Most video players you buy today can play NTSC tapes.

I invested in one a few years ago and have enjoyed some great made-for-tv
    films on US VHS tapes that I've bought on Amazon for tuppence.

By way of some examples, and maybe someone will be searching for these
    to be identified, here are a few NTSC tapes I've got :

Doomsday Gun - This is a dramatization of the true story of
    Dr. Gerald Bull, a Canadian weapons designer who designed and built a
    "Supergun" for Saddam Hussein, just before the First Gulf War in 1990-1991.

It tells the story of how a dedicated Engineer, blinded by the
    real world consequences of attempting to deliver a weapon of mass
    destruction to a volatile and aggressive regieme,
    became a "loose end" that had to be tied up in order to cover-up a
    massive scam involving billions of dollars and some awkward
    questions about US foreign policy.

Starring Frank Lagnella, Kevin Spacey and Alan Arkin.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0109650/

The Pentagon Wars - Another based-on-a-true-story, made for TV movie.
    Starring Kelsey Grammer and Cary Elwes.
    This is the story of the questionable procurement procedures
    used by the US military to design and build a new kind of tank
    called the Bradley Fighting Vehicle.

One man will not conform to the culture of cover-up and no questions asked
    and makes himself a target in the process.

Billions of taxpayers dollars are wasted, troops put in danger by
    unsafe equipment and the bureaucracy of the Pentagon are brilliantly
    lampooned in this black comedy.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0144550/

There are some real gems out there that have never been transferred to DVD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭brian_t

0verblood wrote: »
    That's it!!! The front line. Thanks.

According to DigiGuide this film is on Movies4men next Saturday 29th January at 10.00 pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Looking for the name of a Russian or Eastern European film, I think the title starts with an 'A'. I don't really remember a whole lot, but it's filmed in very dark tones (browns, grays, blues, yellows), has a female lead, and involves some kind of underground paid-in virtual war.

Anyone know what it could be?

liah wrote: »
    Looking for the name of a Russian or Eastern European film, I think the title starts with an 'A'. I don't really remember a whole lot, but it's filmed in very dark tones (browns, grays, blues, yellows), has a female lead, and involves some kind of underground paid-in virtual war.

Anyone know what it could be?

Avalon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 108 ✭✭32_4_1

its just annoying me really. i remember seeing a "horror" film a few years ago and cant remember the name. just wondering if anyone could help

a family in a jeep end up in an abandoned town. they get out and look around. in one of the buildings they pick up a video camera where the previous owner is talking into it, and some monster/deformed person comes and kills her. of course she drops the camera before we see what it is. the family then go back out to the jeep, only for wires to be cut underneeth it so it wont start.

we never see whats in the village but im guessing its deformed people. they live in tunnels under the village. eventually the family gets away and go to a nearby hotel. at the end one of them looks out the window and in the distance we're shown some deformed thing looking in and moving around so its obviously follwed them. anyone any idea what it was. its pretty bad but id just like to get the name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

Silent hill maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 108 ✭✭32_4_1

funkyouup wrote: »
    Silent hill maybe?

No. It wasn't silent hill. That was released too recently. Although it's the reason I'm asking the question as it was on recently and reminded me of the film im lookin for

Here's another one I would love to get a name for.

It is a 1980s film.

Terrorists take over the Eiffel Tower.

They put laser beams on the tower, that zap anything that comes in range.

A boy drops his football and it gets zapped by the laser.

There is a foxy woman in the film with a machine gun.

Here's another one I would love to get a name for.

It is a 1980s film.

Terrorists take over the Eiffel Tower.

They put laser beams on the tower, that zap anything that comes in range.

A boy drops his football and it gets zapped by the laser.

There is a foxy woman in the film with a machine gun.

Sounds a little like The Hostage Tower though I'm not convinced that it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Hey guys, apologies if this is in the wrong place. Im trying to find a trailer i saw a few months back, it was some sort of anime action movie but was surprisingly made by an Irish guy in Ballyfermot.

It was only the trailer they made, i dont think a film was to come but it was class looking so ive been hunting around for it. Any ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

dr gonzo wrote: »
    Hey guys, apologies if this is in the wrong place. Im trying to find a trailer i saw a few months back, it was some sort of anime action movie but was surprisingly made by an Irish guy in Ballyfermot.

It was only the trailer they made, i dont think a film was to come but it was class looking so ive been hunting around for it. Any ideas?

The guy's name is Gary Shore - he's from Artane. He studied in IADT and GMIT.

The film's actually in development with Working Title so hopefully we'll see it go into production soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

Hi, does this anyone recognise this film?

I saw it on tv about 8 years ago.

Its a horror, that takes place on a plane. The bad guys(:D) were some weird heavy metal type chaps, guitars, drums etc.

Sound familiar to anyone? Its been kinda bugging me ha.

Anyway, Thanks in advance to whoever points me in the right direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

OutlawPete wrote: »

Thanks for the quick response. I just watched the trailer there, and it looks like it alright. I didnt see it all but for some reason its been in my head:confused::pac:

Is it any good, or worthy of the 3.3 on imdb?

Podge2k7 wrote: »
    Thanks for the quick response. I just watched the trailer there, and it looks like it alright. I didnt see it all but for some reason its been in my head:confused::pac:

Is it any good, or worthy of the 3.3 on imdb?

Not great to be honest, seen them on Sky Movies a few years back or may have been Movies4Men. Barely remember what happens in them, remember one with Ray Liotta being okay.

Hey, you might love sure, that's what great about films - we can't all like the same ones :)

• Advertisement

Some quick solving in here this weather :)

Here's one:

It was a 1980s film.

There were these spider type robots that were programmed to kill.

They had a spike that injected poison.

I seem to remember a scene with them creeping around toilet stalls
    in a bathroom.

Maybe Tom Sellick was in it?

EDIT : I found it.

It was called Runaway.

There's a link to a trailer on this page:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088024/

You guys are too quick!

i'm running out of unknown dodgy 1980s sci-fi films to identify!!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭trustno1

Hi all.. I am just writing on behalf of a colleague in work here (who is not on the boards) and we are trying to identify a film that she saw and for the life of her she can't remember the name of it.. its about someone who is being persuded (she thinks by the army) and that they have sought refuge in the mountains and he ends up building all sorts of traps and is watching them from trees etc trying to outsmart them..

Now - before you all shout out 'Rambo - First Blood'!!.. I have been telling her that it sounds the exact same as that - but according to her it definitely wasn't it, it didn't star Stallone and that it was fairly recent staring someone in their early 30's 'who looked a bit grey'?!!..

Apologies for the vagueness - but hopefully someone will know what she is talking about!!..

Ps.. it wasn't Predator either..

trustno1 wrote: »
    Hi all.. I am just writing on behalf of a colleague in work here (who is not on the boards) and we are trying to identify a film that she saw and for the life of her she can't remember the name of it.. its about someone who is being persuded (she thinks by the army) and that they have sought refuge in the mountains and he ends up building all sorts of traps and is watching them from trees etc trying to outsmart them..

Now - before you all shout out 'Rambo - First Blood'!!.. I have been telling her that it sounds the exact same as that - but according to her it definitely wasn't it, it didn't star Stallone and that it was fairly recent staring someone in their early 30's 'who looked a bit grey'?!!..

Apologies for the vagueness - but hopefully someone will know what she is talking about!!..

Ps.. it wasn't Predator either..

Sounds a little like The Hunted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭trustno1

Darko you are a genius!.. she has jut told me 'yes' thats the one!.. we can finally do some work now!!.. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

anyone know what movie this is?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

sweeeeeet
    thanks

sweeeeeet
    thanks

I didn't think you were serious. It's named in the comments of the clip you posted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭johndoe99

i was watching "The Bank Job" last night starring Jason Statham, when it triggered a memory of an earlier bank robbery movie.

I cannot remember much, i do know they had to go through a sewer system to tunnel into the bank, the ending is well remembered, theres heavy rain that night and the sewers flood causing the vault to flood as well and the last bank robber gets trapped inside the vault, i think he somehow escapes at the end, hopefully this will be enough for someone reading this.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭pogsick

It's been bugging me for a while, saw it when i was younger maybe 10-15yrs ago, it's about this girl-it turns out she's an alien which she only finds out when brought to hospital and finds out she has 2 hearts, and I think later in the movie there's like a sword/lightsaber-ish attack between her grandmother/mother with "the bad guy" in the movie.

I hope I've given enough info for someone to figure it out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭scottie pippen

About 20 years ago - I seen a film, had a haunted house and dolls.
    a man & daughter seek shelter in the house when there car breaks down. some punk chick are already there and get turned into dolls

any ideas?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,394 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

About 20 years ago - I seen a film, had a haunted house and dolls.
    a man & daughter seek shelter in the house when there car breaks down. some punk chick are already there and get turned into dolls

any ideas?

It's called Dolls :http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092906/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭brian_t

johndoe99 wrote: »
    i was watching "The Bank Job" last night starring Jason Statham, when it triggered a memory of an earlier bank robbery movie.

I cannot remember much, i do know they had to go through a sewer system to tunnel into the bank, the ending is well remembered, theres heavy rain that night and the sewers flood causing the vault to flood as well and the last bank robber gets trapped inside the vault, i think he somehow escapes at the end, hopefully this will be enough for someone reading this.

Thanks.

Sounds like "Loophole" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loophole_(1981_film)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭johndoe99

brian_t wrote: »

that's it thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭jinxycat

32_4_1 wrote: »
    its just annoying me really. i remember seeing a "horror" film a few years ago and cant remember the name. just wondering if anyone could help

a family in a jeep end up in an abandoned town. they get out and look around. in one of the buildings they pick up a video camera where the previous owner is talking into it, and some monster/deformed person comes and kills her. of course she drops the camera before we see what it is. the family then go back out to the jeep, only for wires to be cut underneeth it so it wont start.

we never see whats in the village but im guessing its deformed people. they live in tunnels under the village. eventually the family gets away and go to a nearby hotel. at the end one of them looks out the window and in the distance we're shown some deformed thing looking in and moving around so its obviously follwed them. anyone any idea what it was. its pretty bad but id just like to get the name.

The Hills Have Eyes maybe???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Hello all.

This one is driving me mad.
    I'm certain I saw this film maybe in the summer. It's based on a true story. It was about a serial killer in America. Quite new but set in the 1950's maybe earlier. I remember something about it being on a farm and they were boys that were killed. I think one fella lured them and another killed them. Definitely based on a true story,read about it on Wikipedia after.
    Anyone any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

A little bit more detail. I'm pretty sure the one who lured them was a boy himself,I think the killer's cousin, he was made do it I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

UrbanSea wrote: »
    Hello all.

This one is driving me mad.
    I'm certain I saw this film maybe in the summer. It's based on a true story. It was about a serial killer in America. Quite new but set in the 1950's maybe earlier. I remember something about it being on a farm and they were boys that were killed. I think one fella lured them and another killed them. Definitely based on a true story,read about it on Wikipedia after.
    Anyone any ideas?
    Changeling?

Advertisement