Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marvel Cinematic Universe general stuff

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

FunLover18 wrote: »
    The first thing I saw Larson in was Community, she did a couple of episodes as Abed's love interest and she was quite good. I think in CM she's playing a character who has her sense of identity shattered and essentially has to find herself again, giving her benefit of the don't because I love her "Hey Peter Parker" in Endgame which I know she filmed before CM.

That's it though, my fundamental problem with the film was that she didn't seem to have an identity to be discovered; her personality came off more or less identical from the beginning to end, with no sense of a new persona taking hold, expanding - anything. IIRC, within the first 10 minutes her past was revealed to us, so I didn't even find as a viewer I was learning as she went.

It reminded me a lot of Dr. Strange, in that they both were films that had distinct cinematic tropes & textures at their core (Time Travel and Amnesiac Super-Soldier respectably), yet neither seemed to do very much with them, in favour of Generic MCU Film. The twist with the Skrull was good, and credit there is due, but as a character Captain Marvel is a big shoulder shrug for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

pixelburp wrote: »
    That's it though, my fundamental problem with the film was that she didn't seem to have an identity to be discovered; her personality came off more or less identical from the beginning to end, with no sense of a new persona taking hold, expanding - anything. IIRC, within the first 10 minutes her past was revealed to us, so I didn't even find as a viewer I was learning as she went.

To be fair you can't exactly go from naught to 100 telling that story in the space of 2 hours. I thought they a did fairly good job in establishing Carol as someone with amnesia but in spite of that, still had a strong sense of self. That strong sense of self was what allowed her to trust Fury, reconnect with her friend and child and side with the skrulls.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

To be fair you can't exactly go from naught to 100 telling that story in the space of 2 hours. I thought they a did fairly good job in establishing Carol as someone with amnesia but in spite of that, still had a strong sense of self. That strong sense of self was what allowed her to trust Fury, reconnect with her friend and child and side with the skrulls.

The Bourne Identity managed it fine; it's not impossible to play with memory across a single film. She went from a quippy space soldier to a quippy human space soldier; also earned her powers by clumsy accident and didn't have to learn learn to use them either IIRC. The whole setup felt off. Underwhelming

Obvious agree to disagree territory but the mixture of poor delivery from Larsen, and a limp script that didn't really do anything with the character and the whole thing fell flat for me. The new MCU roster is doing nothing for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Owen Wilson has been cast in the Loki series as, uh, someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Owen Wilson has been cast in the Loki series as, uh, someone.

All I can think of seeing that, is Tom Hiddleston doing an impression of Owen Wilson as Loki

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

because I love her "Hey Peter Parker" in Endgame which I know she filmed before CM.

I think I'm the only one who found that line super pervy.

"Hey Peter Parker. You got something for me?"

The way she delivers it with that creepy smile......hes a teenager ffs. :P

Sam Raimi in talks to take over from Derrickson on the Doctor Strange sequel, apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Gavin1986

I'm a huge MCU fan. And now I'm confused a little, cause I don't understand yet what the Feige's master plan for the next phase... And I still don't believe they would create a team which will surpass The Avengers. But who knows...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,254 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Gavin1986 wrote: »
    I'm a huge MCU fan. And now I'm confused a little, cause I don't understand yet what the Feige's master plan for the next phase... And I still don't believe they would create a team which will surpass The Avengers. But who knows...

It seems an awkward gap at the moment. There will be another Avengers team/continued mini-team ups but until X-Men characters come in they cant reach the same scale with the current roster they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Sam Raimi in talks to take over from Derrickson on the Doctor Strange sequel, apparently.

I'd be really surprised about this if Derrickson left due to studio influence and given Raimi's experience with Spider-Man 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'd be really surprised about this if Derrickson left due to studio influence and given Raimi's experience with Spider-Man 3.

From what i've been reading, it was creative differences, and the general consensus is that Derrickson wanted to create a proper horror film, and Disney/Marvel wouldn't want that.

I still think there's a massive audience for the 18 rated MCU films. And I hate to keep saying it, but The Boys and Brightburn show that there is plenty room for it.

Brightburn did 32 million on a 7 million budget, so good business but hardly lit the skies with success IMO. The Boys is a weird one because with these streaming shows, god knows how many are actually watching the things. Obviously Deadpool is the big flagpole R rated Superhero, while Joker made mad money off the back of the Streisand Effect. Logan did 600 Millon at the box office IIRC. So it's a bit of a weird bunch.

I agree though, there's space for R rated MCU movies, but in many ways they're a victim of their own success. Marvel has built a very specific brand and at this stage, with an equally specific expectation from its general audience. They're a model of consistency so presumably Marvel are simply averse to breaking that pattern. As much as previous movies might have dabbled in other genres (like Winter Soldier), it was often superficial garnish, never something embedded. It's a shame cos a proper Dr Strange horror film would have had me genuinely intrigued, as opposed to my current ambivalence.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Brightburn did 32 million on a 7 million budget, so good business but hardly lit the skies with success IMO. The Boys is a weird one because with these streaming shows, god knows how many are actually watching the things. Obviously Deadpool is the big flagpole R rated Superhero, while Joker made mad money off the back of the Streisand Effect. Logan did 600 Millon at the box office IIRC. So it's a bit of a weird bunch.

I agree though, there's space for R rated MCU movies, but in many ways they're a victim of their own success. Marvel has built a very specific brand and at this stage, with an equally specific expectation from its general audience. They're a model of consistency so presumably Marvel are simply averse to breaking that pattern. As much as previous movies might have dabbled in other genres (like Winter Soldier), it was often superficial garnish, never something embedded. It's a shame cos a proper Dr Strange horror film would have had me genuinely intrigued, as opposed to my current ambivalence.

You really would wonder does Bezos just do this stuff because he can.

I can't honestly say the broken backs and sweat wrung from their mangled bodies of Amazon's staff are worth getting some really solid Sci Fi, but if they're going to break their backs and mangle them while wringing the sweat from their bodies, then getting some good Sci Fi into the bargain is at least a silver lining.

Ant-Man 3 is to be written by Jeff Loveness, who currently serves as one of the writers and producers on Rick and Morty.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,502 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Hopefully Disney put one of their many studios' names to work and do the same with HULU worldwide.

Why can't it be like the good old days, when all the big blockbusters were ultra violent but they still sold kids toys.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,367 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Spider-Woman?

Olivia Wilde Tapped To Direct Untitled Female-Centered Marvel Movie At Sony
    EXCLUSIVE: Sony Pictures is not only growing its slate of its Universe of Marvel Characters but is building on the female characters at the center of it, and looks to have landed one of the sought female directors in Hollywood. Sources tell Deadline that Olivia Wilde has closed a deal to direct and develop a secret Marvel film project revolving around a female character in the universe. While not confirmed, it is expected that the story will be centered on Spider-Woman.

The film will be penned by Katie Silberman with Amy Pascal producing. Rachel O’Connor will exec produce.

Wilde, Silberman and Pascal already have strong ties and the three are working on a Christmas buddy film at Universal they hope to do prior to this one. Gary Spinelli penned a previous draft of the script.

The Spider-Woman character has actually been the alter ego of several characters in the Spider-Man timeline over the years including Gwen Stacy, Mary Jane Watson and Jessica Drew, who was the first to sport the costume in the late 1970s. Since the concept is being completely revamped by Wilde, it’s unknown the direction the studio will go with her.

The project has been a high priority since the top of the year and Wilde came close to passing on it as her dance card has begun to fill up quite quickly. At the end of the day, the idea of having a chance to launch her own female superhero was too hard to pass up, and she eventually came around to fully committing to the project.

This marks the second film based around a female character in Sony’s universe of Marvel characters to land a director after S.J. Clarkson was tapped to direct a Madame Webb movie. Sony is also developing Black Cat and Silver Sable movies and is clearly making the effort to diversify the universe.

Around the industry, more and more female filmmakers are getting their shot at directing big-budget comic book movies. Nia DaCosta most recently landed the Captain Marvel 2 job at Marvel and along with Wilde and Clarkson will follow in the footsteps of Patty Jenkins, Cathy Yan and Chloe Zhao, the latter who has the upcoming The Eternals.

https://deadline.com/2020/08/olivia-wilde-spider-woman-director-secret-marvel-movie-sony-1203017798/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

The only concern about this is the Sony name attached it :P.

Could be interesting though, i am not into the comics so don't know allot around spider woman but after playing the game on the PS4 very interested in black cat and silver sabel.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,502 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Counter to what you'd think the main Spider-Woman Jessica Drew isn't connected to Spider-Man, so I wouldn't think it was her. But maybe the Sony original deal was "close enough we'll take her" and they'll just fudge the relationship.

If it was anyone I'd say it'd be Gwen as she's not in it yet and I don't think MJ (Michelle) would work, and not mentioned in that but related I don't think Silk would work right either even if you could do something with the Bunker/snap.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

This definitely isn't going to be connected to the MCU. More likely to be tied in with the Spider-Verse franchise.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Psychiatric Patrick

JC Chandor is directing a Kraven movie.

Is it the intention to give Spider-Man's foes and friends their own origin movies first and eventually pit them against Spidey in a big crossover movie?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

JC Chandor is directing a Kraven movie.

Is it the intention to give Spider-Man's foes and friends their own origin movies first and eventually pit them against Spidey in a big crossover movie?

I think Drew Goddard was trying to make a Sinister Six movie happen a good while back, but it all fell apart.

The issue with Sony is that they have a wealth of villains on their Spidey roster, but not that many heroes.......So for now they seem to be stuck in "let's make all our villains into anti-heroes" mode, like with Venom and I'm presuming Morbius (pushed back to 2021 now).

Yeah, there's a pang of desperation off of Sony's attempts to get every Spidey adjacent character into their own movie. When they're trying to build movies for Silk or Silver Sable, that suggests an anxious overeagerness.

I think Drew Goddard was trying to make a Sinister Six movie happen a good while back, but it all fell apart.

The issue with Sony is that they have a wealth of villains on their Spidey roster, but not that many heroes.......So for now they seem to be stuck in "let's make all our villains into anti-heroes" mode, like with Venom and I'm presuming Morbius (pushed back to 2021 now).

I am hoping Morbius goes down the route of a monster movie rafter than ant-hero. he still be a somewhat sympathetic character.

Is the movie Venom an anti-hero? He is a mess but still does the heroic thing. Just happens to also bite off heads.

If they make Kraven and others "not so bad" or give them justifications it is the waste of an opportunity to get into the the supervillan genre that Joker created and to build to a these characters facing Spider-man.

Does the deal with Disney prevent Sony from using Tom Holland or even Spider-man himself in their SpiderVerse movies?

kerplun k wrote: »
    Holy ****. Chadwick Boseman. I’m shocked. RIP

Woke up around 6 and saw the alert on my phone.

I'm still stunned.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=114459760&posted=1#post114459760

• Registered Users Posts: 37,911 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Stunned really shocking news RIP

Knowing him he would of wanted the BP character to remain. When the time comes to think about what next for the character it will be interesting

PTH2009 wrote: »

Knowing him he would of wanted the BP character to remain. When the time comes to think about what next for the character it will be interesting

It's obviously way, way too soon but I just presume Shuri will take the mantle of Black Panther; IIRC she did just that in the comics

PTH2009 wrote: »

The character, the comic and the movie in particular means more to many, many black people than many others cannot understand.

Boseman's seem to have been a man who would want the character to continue what he started.

As a fan of the movies I both don't and do want T'Challa to return.

All in in good time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

It's obviously way, way too soon but I just presume Shuri will take the mantle of Black Panther; IIRC she did just that in the comics

Fans weren't to know but looking back, the speculation of Shuri replacing Tchalla was in poor taste and I thought that at the time as Chadwick was only getting to grips with the role. Uncomfortable to think about now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Very sad alright, he was great in the role and a really great guy. St Judes put up some nice pictures of the work he did with sick kids despite being sick himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,254 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The character, the comic and the movie in particular means more to many, many black people than many others cannot understand.

Boseman's seem to have been a man who would want the character to continue what he started.

As a fan of the movies I both don't and do want T'Challa to return.

All in in good time.

I doubt we'll see T'Challa again. We shouldn't tbh.

Advertisement