Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hit a Wall

Options
  • 26-04-2019 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭

Hey folks. I have been following a trainer set programme the past few months. It simply goes

Squat plus accessories day 1
    Bench plus accessories day 2
    Deadlift plus accessories day 3

Every three weeks I have a deload week and then a new three week cycle starts moving between 5 x 10, 5 x 5 etc. with incremental increases each week.

I have had really good results and was happy until last week when I struggled mightily to make the lifts. I kept the weight the same this week but am absolutely wrecked with DOMS despite no increase. I actually missed the last few reps on my bench last night as well. I feel exhausted and don’t fancy going in again tomorrow.

I’m sleeping and eating well and nothing else has changed, haven’t been sick or anything. Haven’t experienced this before as I had made steady progress all along. Is this normal? Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Hey folks. I have been following a trainer set programme the past few months. It simply goes

Squat plus accessories day 1
    Bench plus accessories day 2
    Deadlift plus accessories day 3

Every three weeks I have a deload week and then a new three week cycle starts moving between 5 x 10, 5 x 5 etc. with incremental increases each week.

I have had really good results and was happy until last week when I struggled mightily to make the lifts. I kept the weight the same this week but am absolutely wrecked with DOMS despite no increase. I actually missed the last few reps on my bench last night as well. I feel exhausted and don’t fancy going in again tomorrow.

I’m sleeping and eating well and nothing else has changed, haven’t been sick or anything. Haven’t experienced this before as I had made steady progress all along. Is this normal? Any advice?

It sounds like you might be around the point where you're reaching rep max weights. There is always the point where you can't just doing the same rep and set progression and expect to be able to increase the weight.

I'd discuss it with the trainer that gave you the programme because you'll find it hard to make progress of you're continuing to operate at a high % of your max.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

It sounds like you might be around the point where you're reaching rep max weights. There is always the point where you can't just doing the same rep and set progression and expect to be able to increase the weight.

I'd discuss it with the trainer that gave you the programme because you'll find it hard to make progress of you're continuing to operate at a high % of your max.

Thanks Alf. I had considered that but I’d be disappointed tbh if I was reaching my limit. I will talk to the trainer and see what they say. I am nearing the end of my current cycle so perhaps it’s time to try something different.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Thanks Alf. I had considered that but I’d be disappointed tbh if I was reaching my limit. I will talk to the trainer and see what they say. I am nearing the end of my current cycle so perhaps it’s time to try something different.

The fact that youre exhausted might be indicative.

But it could just be a temporary. It's only a couple of sessions. I don't know what the weights are in relation to your 10RM, 5RM etc so i don't know if it is close to your maxes but worth discussing with the trainer assuming all elements of recovery are in order.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

The fact that youre exhausted might be indicative.

But it could just be a temporary. It's only a couple of sessions. I don't know what the weights are in relation to your 10RM, 5RM etc so i don't know if it is close to your maxes but worth discussing with the trainer assuming all elements of recovery are in order.

Thanks I will be meeting him on Monday but to give you an idea I weigh roughly 80kg, probably 20% bf

5 x 5s are Squat 85kg, Bench 70kg (failed to complete), Deadlift 90kg

Definitely more to go in the deadlift but struggling with the other two. Hopefully it’s temporary and I can work around it

Advertisement