Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pumps.ie

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Waze already has this functionality with a pretty decent UI, why re-invent the wheel? It just needs more users in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

fryup wrote: »
    any budding young web designer out there want to start a new fuel price website
    & app???

*might make a few bob in advertising at least

I'm not young anymore but I would be willing to take over the website and host it and maintain it. I wouldn't take on the app, someone else perhaps.

The problem is that no one seems to know who owns it and although we have an email address for the app developer, he is not responding.
    DaDumTish wrote: »
    eds dead baby, eds dead **

** may not be true

@DaDumTish, can you elaborate please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,187 ✭✭✭mikeecho

The problem is that no one seems to know who owns it.....

Edwin Costello is the creator/owner

mikeecho wrote: »
    Edwin Costello is the creator/owner

I thought he only owned the app and was facilitated by the website owner.

Does Edwin own the website also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,721 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Google Maps changed their licencing, they now charge for using the Google Maps API as part of any web application, I'd imagine that combined with the cost of maintenance/hosting is what led to the demise of pumps.ie, it more than likely ended up costing too much to run.

• Advertisement

Google Maps changed their licencing, they now charge for using the Google Maps API as part of any web application, I'd imagine that combined with the cost of maintenance/hosting is what led to the demise of pumps.ie, it more than likely ended up costing too much to run.

What I cannot fathom is why the owner of the website would not simply inform users of the situation.

Anyway, if we don't get any info we'll have to wait until the end of November '19 when the domain pumps.ie is due for renewal.

https://www.iedr.ie/whois-result/?whois=pumps

IEDR used to show the registrant but not any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,721 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

What I cannot fathom is why the owner of the website would not simply inform users of the situation.

Anyway, if we don't get any info we'll have to wait until the end of November '19 when the domain pumps.ie is due for renewal.

https://www.iedr.ie/whois-result/?whois=pumps

IEDR used to show the registrant but not any more.

No idea, seems like they just walked away and didn't care.

Would be nice to get some baseline stats in terms of visits and usage etc to get a grasp of costs of running something similar, the application itself would be fairly simple to develop.

That site has been in decline for the past few years. The dev used to give news updates on the expected rise/fall of fuel prices.

Shame to see a great site & app fall into disuse .

I was an avid updater of prices in my locality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Such a pity, was a great and handy site to use, I'd be up for helping dev's create a new version, wouldn't be difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Auld Jim Halpin

I consistently found (from pumps.ie) that Go Kylemore Dublin was very competitive and worth the extra mile or two to fill up. Could they and others post their daily pump prices on their facebook page? (and make Facebook useful for a change!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I try to contribute waze since I got the app. One thing I've noticed is a lot of petrol stations have started putting the deisel price on top of the price board. Maybe cos it's a lower figure than petrol.

I consistently found (from pumps.ie) that Go Kylemore Dublin was very competitive and worth the extra mile or two to fill up. Could they and others post their daily pump prices on their facebook page? (and make Facebook useful for a change!)

Diesel today €129.90
    Petrol today €139.90

Diesel today €129.90
    Petrol today €139.90

It's pointless posting prices.. there are over 1,000 petrol stations.

Pumps.ie has been down in the past, but never for this long.
    I think it's time to call it a day. .. now if someone want to start up pumpz.ie app & website..

860c3dddd1f3d1f10c159d13a8f9cd40.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

Still no sign of Pumps.ie being fixed.

Diesel today €129.90
    Petrol today €139.90

Thanks WestWicklow 1, fair play to you, and fair play to Go Kylemore, that's 5c cheaper than I was getting it locally

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

I'm not young anymore but I would be willing to take over the website and host it and maintain it. I wouldn't take on the app, someone else perhaps.

The problem is that no one seems to know who owns it and although we have an email address for the app developer, he is not responding.

@DaDumTish, can you elaborate please?

its a pulp fiction joke , nothing important

You could live without the built-in map if the cost was one of the issues, a link to a map and location would work just as well.

Go Kylemore Sunday 5th May:
    Diesel 133.9
    Petrol 145.9

Barrel price dropping over the last 2 weeks, hopefully see a drop a the pump soon

You'd be much better off entering the prices into Waze: https://support.google.com/waze/answer/6262574?hl=en
    If more people in Ireland use it, it will have more accurate prices. Same goes for routing and traffic - I find it better at learning things than Google Maps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

You'd be much better off entering the prices into Waze: https://support.google.com/waze/answer/6262574?hl=en
    If more people in Ireland use it, it will have more accurate prices. Same goes for routing and traffic - I find it better at learning things than Google Maps.

Waze is owned by Google, they acquired it for the technology.

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-google-bought-waze-the-inside-story-2015-8

But they don't actively share between the two platforms. Google Maps is more accurate at present in Ireland because nearly every Android and iPhone are reporting to Google Maps in the background as most people enable this option, or are unaware of it.

Waze doesn't really work in Ireland as we don't have good alternative routes. If you are going through Dublin, the only 'highway' is the M50. So the routing algorithms don't work very well. This is compared to the US and abroad where you have secondary, collectors and expresses that can actually make a huge difference.

As a last point, Waze hammers your battery. I have no idea why but its a huge draw.

I agree, more people should use it but it's better for alerts than saving time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Waze works for me, because I use it, when I don't know where I am, or going to and is much more informative than Google Maps. I'm not really interested in time savings.

ironclaw wrote: »
    But they don't actively share between the two platforms. Google Maps is more accurate at present in Ireland because nearly every Android and iPhone are reporting to Google Maps in the background as most people enable this option, or are unaware of it.
    Some aspects are shared, e.g. live traffic from Google Maps is being shared with Waze for Ireland, although the way Waze deals with this data means it won't appear in the exact same way. Incidents, road closures, etc. are also shared between the two depending on the situation.
    Waze doesn't really work in Ireland as we don't have good alternative routes. If you are going through Dublin, the only 'highway' is the M50. So the routing algorithms don't work very well. This is compared to the US and abroad where you have secondary, collectors and expresses that can actually make a huge difference.

I'd disagree. Waze works about as well in Ireland as Google Maps does, which is often good but sometimes it suggests bad routes. But what I find is Waze tends to learn more quickly what is bad - the only downside is that you will have to attempt the routes it does suggest a few times so it records road speeds, etc. I found after taking a route which I knew was slower a couple of times, it stopped suggesting it.

Google Maps has some very inaccurate map data for Ireland in some places. It keeps suggesting to get to my workplace that I stop on a main road with no parking, with access blocked by a high fence and trees - when in fact I need to enter an industrial estate to get there. If Waze was routing this incorrectly (it does not), I could correct this fairly easily with the map editor. I've reported the issue to GMaps countless times and it's still broken. This isn't the only case I've seen where destinations are on wrong roads, inaccessible roads, etc.
    As a last point, Waze hammers your battery. I have no idea why but its a huge draw.

Waze is doing more in a lot of ways, and provides more features, e.g. various alerts, fuel prices, speed limits, etc. I don't think it's as bad on battery as it used to be, but Google Maps while navigating isn't far off either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

I've tried to input fuel prices on Waze a couple of times and it just times out and doesn't update price.

Also prices only show up to the nearest 10 cent when I go looking for petrol, which is not helpful in the slightest.

Pity, potentially an awesome tool if it worked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

JCDUB wrote: »
    I've tried to input fuel prices on Waze a couple of times and it just times out and doesn't update price.

Also prices only show up to the nearest 10 cent when I go looking for petrol, which is not helpful in the slightest.

The 10 cent jumps was a problem on the App which has been fixed, next time they are entered they will be correct. Haven't tried to input prices so can't mention the time out.

Yes, the decimal point issue has been fixed, which had other related issues around not being able to enter prices at all.

I put in fuel prices a couple of times in the past few weeks and it worked fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

JCDUB wrote: »

Are you a new user? I think you have to build up a few miles before you can input fuel prices.

You have to have driven at least 160 km to be able to update fuel prices, and be within a radius of 500 metres of the petrol station to submit the report. This is to prevent bots or other dodgy stuff happening.

But I think JCDUB's issue was related to previous bugs which have been resolved. It should tell you why you can't update the prices if you shouldn't be able to, or if you're outside the radius it won't let you enter them at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Not condoning the use of the Applegreen API but its very powerful and shows literally every petrol station in Ireland, all updated every morning.

Be interesting if someone were to contact Applegreen about making the use of it public, it could be easily implemented into a pumps.ie like website that would be incredibly accurate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

Be interesting if someone were to contact Applegreen about making the use of it public, it could be easily implemented into a pumps.ie like website that would be incredibly accurate.

It's available on their app? I use it and it's great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Simona1986 wrote: »
    It's available on their app? I use it and it's great

Where's their App? I checked the play store and their website and can't find it

Advertisement