Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where's the deterrent for shіthead scumbags in society?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Anyone else read that as "what's the detergent for scum?"

Real rain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

The prevalence of actual scumbags has decreased an awful lot in the past 15 years or so. Youd still see them regularly in certain parts of Cork and Dublin but for the most part there arent nearly as many. The threat is much exaggerated as far as I can tell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Hobbling..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭rustynutz

+1 for slave labour. I'd introduce sterilisation too. A lot of these scumbags are 2nd/3ed generation scroungers. Not everything in the Third Reich was terrible

Sterilisation wouldn't be required if our social welfare system wasn't so generous. People being allowed to make a career out of scrounging, and then being able to afford to bring kids into the equation so they can also spend a lifetime living on hangouts.

If you refuse to work you should only just survive off the state, food vouchers and no choice on where you live, take the accommodation you are given. And save the social welfare money for workers who have genuinely fallen on hard times.

I have a feeling the unemployment rates would drop dramatically, but this will never happen as the scroungers have loads of time on their hands to protest, and vote. The growing sense of entitlement amongst this section of society is the real ticking time bomb for future generations, soon there won't be enough workers to fund them and the rest of us when we reach pension age

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

rustynutz wrote: »
    The growing sense of entitlement amongst this section of society is the real ticking time bomb for future generations, soon there won't be enough workers to fund them and the rest of us when we reach pension age

Yeah, real problem alright, in every section of society -

'We need the public to support us' - family in home battle over €25m debt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

The prevalence of actual scumbags has decreased an awful lot in the past 15 years or so. Youd still see them regularly in certain parts of Cork and Dublin but for the most part there arent nearly as many. The threat is much exaggerated as far as I can tell

Disagree.

They seem to have infiltrated every town in the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Law is a business

The scumbags are a source of revenue

no scumbags no income

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

I'm genuinely glad for you that you don't have to interact with what I can only describe as excrement in human form, but I tell you now it it not the case where I'm from, and I'm sure many others would say the same.

• Site Banned Posts: 40 The Fools

If being soft on crime worked then Ireland would be a crime free paradise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

Some day a real rain will come.........

Must watch Taxi Driver again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,031 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

We need a 3 strikes and you're out law like certain parts of the US.

And proper sentencing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭katiek102010

The system has to change

Parents being financially responsible for compensation etc for the crimes of minors.

Parents who repeatedly let their kids run riot should have them removed
    Attetchment of earnings to compensate for all those responsible for fines penalties etc.

Actual jail and curfew tags for 2 + crimes

Judges are way too leniant because of lack of space in jails.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Ah come on people think of the vulnerable people in society like this poor "vulnerable" woman so "vulnerable" when a taxi driver took her forgotten bag after a night on the complete pish, and did a thing of service and delivered it to her house, she only went and gouged the side of his car.. but lets please feel sorry for her because she's soo

"vulnerable".

https://m.herald.ie/news/drunk-taxi-woman-scraped-car-caused-over-900-damage-37958791.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Oops! wrote: »
    2 words..... Legal system.

It's just not working! I was given advise a few years ago by a legal group
    to get assistance from an illegal group to sort out an issue! I ask you!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

+1 for slave labour. I'd introduce sterilisation too. A lot of these scumbags are 2nd/3ed generation scroungers. Not everything in the Third Reich was terrible

Sure, didnt the trains always run on time too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,408 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

NIMAN wrote: »
    We need a 3 strikes and you're out law like certain parts of the US.

And proper sentencing.

The US is looking at ways to change that system. It has already resulted in a lot of prisoners being kept in until they reach a very old age. And this is going to be a bigger problem in future.

The reason it won't work here is money. To match the US we would need 40,000 prison places instead of the 4,000 we have, and they would be full of what are now 18 year olds being kept in for 60 or 70 years. That would cost too much.

And to go beyond the US we would need to find prison places for the herds of long term unemployed "filthy vermin" who are roaming our streets. Maybe another 100,000 places to run a proper 3 strikes policy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

I think 30 strikes and you're out will take some people off the street in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Three letters! L! O! L!

Austria! wrote: »
    I think 30 strikes and you're out will take some people off the street in this country.

It would depend on the nature of the offence being tried in court. A history of recidivism can be taken into account, but if the maximum sentence for the offence was e.g. 5 years, then the judge could not send them to prison for 20 years.

I asked earlier on for the details of cases where someone with 30+ convictions never served any time, but nobody came up with any. I picked a case at random from the Courts website, someone with 29 convictions who got 5 years.

http://www.courts.ie/Judgments.nsf/0/7CB105A6FBCE15C6802582A500527C40

• Advertisement

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Ah come on people think of the vulnerable people in society like this poor "vulnerable" woman so "vulnerable" when a taxi driver took her forgotten bag after a night on the complete pish, and did a thing of service and delivered it to her house, she only went and gouged the side of his car.. but lets please feel sorry for her because she's soo

"vulnerable".

https://m.herald.ie/news/drunk-taxi-woman-scraped-car-caused-over-900-damage-37958791.html

Defence lawyer Patrick Jackson said Brady, a mother-of-three, was a "very vulnerable person".

Jesus f*cking christ, drag these judges and lawyers through the streets, put them in stocks, enough ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

Is that a joke?

https://connachttribune.ie/mugger-jailed-for-pizza-knife-attack-on-couple-at-spanish-arch-009/

Some system we have going! This guy should be hanged. I honestly cant understand people who would be against getting rid of this filth. The scumbag epidemic we have is one of the worst things about this country, they are everywhere and do what they want and answer to no one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Patty Hearst

El_Bee wrote: »
    We need mechanisms to rid ourselves of our current judiciary, this business of double and at time triple digit convictions walking the street is insanity. Read the court section of the papers, the same rubbish told to the judge over and over, how many times can you hear "oh he's dealing with [x]" or "he fell in with the wrong people", over and over and not pick up on it? how are they this stupid?

They're not stupid..far from it.

Criminals with multiple convictions are basically walking ATMs for the legal community...living breathing gold mines.

Think about it, a person with 30 convictions has 'paid out' to the various legals 30 times.

Sending them down for a considerable stretch would be like throwing away money.

A criminal with endless previous convictions and highly likely to re offend is a major earner for Barristers, solicitors, Judges etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Batman

Batman stops Robbin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Think about it, a person with 30 convictions has 'paid out' to the various legals 30 times.

When people read of people with multiple convictions they often are blind to the fact that they have been convicted of multiple offenses arising from the same incident.

For instance, if a person breaks into house, steals a set of car keys and gets involved in a car chase with the coppers - it's likely that person will have racked up north of 10 offences in a 30 minute period (maybe more). So no, when you see a person with 30 convictions, it's most likely not a person that has been to the courthouse 30 separate times with x 30 legal aid.

Those 10 hypothetical offences, if served consecutively instead of concurrently, could conceivably see an individual who stole a car being sentenced to more time than a rapist.

That's the conundrum with sentencing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭mickuhaha

Could we force them to clean the Dublin sewers? At least you could smell trouble coming.

Crock Rock wrote: »
    As I walked past the car, filthy scum who were congregating nearby walked over and attempted to open the door.

Perhaps they were concerned for the owners battery life and were moving to turn the device off on his behalf. :)
    Why is there no consequences for being scum vermin in Ireland?

There is - it is just nigh impossible to attain. They actually have to commit a crime first - and then you have to successfully pursue a prosecution. This is not an easy process.

But that would be a consequence. Whether it is a _good_ one or an effective one however is debatable. As others have pointed out some people have 30 convictions to their name and are happily roaming looking to get more.
    Where's the deterrent for shіthead scumbags in society?

Some deterrents work on some people and fail entirely on others. Some in fact only make some people worse. To be honest I have no idea what deterrents actually exist out there - as in the full list. But I doubt whether one exists yet or not - that a one size fits all solution is available.

For me the solution to a small group of local "scum" was to engage with them and start teaching them to fight better.

Up until I did this the "scum" in question were hanging out and blocking a shortcut in my area that people - including little old women going to shops - used heavily.

After they moved into this point they intimidated people and even accosted some of those little old women. Which would I am sure you agree put them in the category of the lowest of the low.

Since I engaged with them however they have actually turned out to be lovely people and are no longer engaged in scummy behaviour. Quite the opposite. They have recently been helping out one particular little old lady and helping her carry her shopping home. A lady they have previously been rather awful to - to the point they sent her waddling home having dropped her shopping in a panic one day in her rush to get away from them. They were that bad.

That worked for me/them. It might have entirely back fired and got me killed with another group of youths. It was quite the risk I took. Some people genuinely are scum. Some people just need a little guidance and investment. Thankfully for me/them/us these ones were the latter.

I walked around Dublin recently for an event I was part of - and I was rather saddened by the number of abandoned and run down buildings I past which still had signs saying they used to be Boxing Clubs. I passed the same thing walking around the outskirts of Sligo town too of late.

I have entertained the notion of starting a "Jedi Training" school for problem youths and even have a curriculum in mind. People and resources are of course a problem though so I have never yet gotten the finger out on it.

Maybe someone could help me here. I remember watching some Docu on some city in some country who implemented a program of youth clubs and investment in their entertainment and engagement. They were claiming in the Docu that crime from that age group had as a result hit zero. Seemed fantastic and I meant to follow up on it years later to see how it was going and if it held true. Now I have forgotten where it was - I can not look it up :) Anyone know what I am talking about here?

Maybe someone could help me here. I remember watching some Docu on some city in some country who implemented a program of youth clubs and investment in their entertainment and engagement. They were claiming in the Docu that crime from that age group had as a result hit zero. Seemed fantastic and I meant to follow up on it years later to see how it was going and if it held true. Now I have forgotten where it was - I can not look it up :) Anyone know what I am talking about here?

In Norway, there are amazingly resourced youth centers where a bored kid can walk in, pick up a guitar/drumsticks/keyboard, and be taught by a teacher for gratis.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/man-had-40-year-driving-ban-when-he-led-garda%C3%AD-on-high-speed-chase-1.3847083?fbclid=IwAR19PJHcIvtpCq72KT1EixD3WdsVL2U6h1E_Oj6qGZTW2gSZf3J2tHGdltY

I actually know this particular scum bag and his scumbag twin. nearly 30 and still getting chances from Judges who have no idea what the real world consists of.

"She said he was old enough to know better and it was fortunate nobody was injured. Taylor of Kiltalown Park, Tallaght, Dublin has eleven previous convictions for dangerous driving."

"His 121 previous convictions include 11 dangerous driving, burglary, handling stolen property, criminal damage, assault of a garda and road traffic and public order offences."

And he gets 3 1/2 years with one suspended of ..... no reason and a point less driving ban

Surely any political party with the will to tackle this sort of crap would coast into power

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Brazilian police. Close the thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

Just concentrating on punishment won't solve a thing, America has a very harsh legal system and that doesn't stop people breaking the law, 63,000+ were killed in gang related crimes in Brazil last year.

You have to fix the economic & social systems that has driven people to feel like they need to rob GPS systems. The working & poor classes have been put out & kept of the political arena and furthermore the political classes are happy for them to be put out of it & to get a few hundred euros a week to fob them off with, because a educated society & organized society is trouble for the political & intelligentsia classes.

Thankfully some countries like Portugal & Bolivia have started to realize this and have taken small but meaningful steps to at least try and solve these social & economic issues instead of just using a sledgehammer approach to everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

when somebody comes out of prison with 20/30 convictions...what does society offer them instead of a life of petty crime ?
    Does society offer these people jobs, education and a helping hand as opposed to just a hand out.

How hard is it for prisoners to get jobs or rent accommodation?

Many in society (and boards) will say "fcuk you, you made you bed mr 30 convictions" and then wonder why our hero goes back to his way of delinquency and his social housing.

You may never eliminate crime but offer offenders a chance of something better and many may stop.

If you keep doing what you're doing , it'll stay the same. And countries with harsh prison don't seem to be any better

Stovepipe wrote: »
    Brazilian police. Close the thread.

Brunei.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 kateee47298

mynamejeff wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/man-had-40-year-driving-ban-when-he-led-garda%C3%AD-on-high-speed-chase-1.3847083?fbclid=IwAR19PJHcIvtpCq72KT1EixD3WdsVL2U6h1E_Oj6qGZTW2gSZf3J2tHGdltY

I actually know this particular scum bag and his scumbag twin. nearly 30 and still getting chances from Judges who have no idea what the real world consists of.

"She said he was old enough to know better and it was fortunate nobody was injured. Taylor of Kiltalown Park, Tallaght, Dublin has eleven previous convictions for dangerous driving."

"His 121 previous convictions include 11 dangerous driving, burglary, handling stolen property, criminal damage, assault of a garda and road traffic and public order offences."

And he gets 3 1/2 years with one suspended of ..... no reason and a point less driving ban

Surely any political party with the will to tackle this sort of crap would coast into power

How are people supposed to learn when they keep getting let off? this is actually disgraceful, sometimes our law system embarrasses me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

https://www.thejournal.ie/aggravated-burglary-kerry-4575347-Apr2019/

Few more caught today. Aggravated burglary. I predict 5 years a piece with the last 4.8 years suspended.

https://www.thejournal.ie/man-jailed-terminally-ill-woman-son-beating-4582483-Apr2019/

Another beauty of a sentence. In the states this would be home invasion, you wouldn't be getting out ! Here it's just a brake in with some light torture. Sure it's grand.

While scumbags when they exist should be dealt with properly, they are thankfully much rarer than they were 8 or 10 years ago and before. High living standards and being kept distracted/entertained with technology has made being an actual scumbag ludicrous to the kids who in previous times would have been at risk of becoming one. Scumbags of old became what they were after having grown up hanging around the streets with their friends in gangs - nowadays young working class guys are too busy trying to not look like a scumbag to be letting themselves down robbing cars or committing crime. Nowadays there is too much social status at stake to be seen being a scumbag and it doesn't appeal to them anyway as "being hard" is no longer the badge of honour among these kids that it once was. Nowadays it is all about how expensive their clothes are, how attractive they look with their sunbeds and skin fades - you know, the kind of stuff their older brothers/fathers punched other guys for back in the day. Also, kids from all backgrounds all go to college nowadays as they have little other choice in this psychological-pressure-cooker economy.

While scumbags when they exist should be dealt with properly, they are thankfully much rarer than they were 8 or 10 years ago and before. High living standards and being kept distracted/entertained with technology has made being an actual scumbag ludicrous to the kids who in previous times would have been at risk of becoming one. Scumbags of old became what they were after having grown up hanging around the streets with their friends in gangs - nowadays young working class guys are too busy trying to not look like a scumbag to be letting themselves down robbing cars or committing crime. Nowadays there is too much social status at stake to be seen being a scumbag and it doesn't appeal to them anyway as "being hard" is no longer the badge of honour among these kids that it once was. Nowadays it is all about how expensive their clothes are, how attractive they look with their sunbeds and skin fades - you know, the kind of stuff their older brothers/fathers punched other guys for back in the day. Also, kids from all backgrounds all go to college nowadays as they have little other choice in this psychological-pressure-cooker economy.

So why are violent crimes and sexual assaults on the increase ? Is it only old skool scumbags commiting crimes now ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Everyone makes mistakes and some people can be easily led into making a mistake ........but, c'mon. There are people out there with 30+ previous convictions!

I'm in favour of leniency for the first fuck up, thereafter the punishment should be severe. Why don't we have mandatory sentencing for each specific crime, if found guilty, you must serve a specific sentence.

In certain jurisdictions, the scumbag who'd have stolen the GPS would be penalised for several offences in one, criminal damage (to the glass). breaking an entry (to the car), theft (of the GPS), perjury (presumably they'd lie in court), resisting arrest (they'd probably try to run too).

Here, they'd get a suspended sentence and the hard working delivery man would have to claim from his OWN insurance for the damage to his car.

It's just not fair.

We don't invest in prisons and politicians believe we don't want to.
    I've said it before and I'll say it here many times. Ask politicians at your door where they stand on increasing spaces in prisons and being tough on crime. It won't change otherwise.

• Advertisement

Hal3000 wrote: »
    https://www.thejournal.ie/man-jailed-terminally-ill-woman-son-beating-4582483-Apr2019/

Another beauty of a sentence. In the states this would be home invasion, you wouldn't be getting out ! Here it's just a brake in with some light torture. Sure it's grand.

Leader said her client was put on medication after witnessing the violent death of his friend over ten years ago. She said he suffered family bereavements about a year later and was in a motorbike accident which ended his chances of playing professional football.

These judges would fail a ****ing IQ test falling for this garbage.

What fantasy land are you posting from, almost every kid around here covers their face, who the **** goes around with their face covered up at 9-10 years onwards?

Whatever political party or politicans decide to get tough on crime will get my vote and I'm sure plenty more. 3 strike rule needs to be brought in. 30 / 40 / 50 convictions is an insult to our justice system, but it also proves that judges are totally dilusional if they think these people will ever become reformed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

El_Bee wrote: »
    What fantasy land are you posting from, almost every kid around here covers their face, who the **** goes around with their face covered up at 9-10 years onwards?

If anything, there are more little gurriers walking around. Dragged up and given no manners or ambition to raise themselves out of a hovel by their lazy parents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Sure prisons is no deterrent anymore. I know a bloke that got a 6 month sentence . I asked him, how'd ya get on in there. He said it was grand , he'd video games , tv , valium , weed . That doesn't sound to much like punishment. I wonder if prison was a bit more like a military boot camp , would people be less inclined to go back there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

jay0109 wrote: »
    Not if your a Solicitor/Barrister/Judge. It's a great system if your part of the racket

They are doing well for themselves.

But they are walking a tightrope over the long term; if there is ever a breakdown or revolution - they will be first up against the wall, blindfolded and praying.

• Advertisement

We don't invest in prisons and politicians believe we don't want to.
    I've said it before and I'll say it here many times. Ask politicians at your door where they stand on increasing spaces in prisons and being tough on crime. It won't change otherwise.

Interesting statbank for prisons across Europe. We have a higher prison capacity than Denmark, Finland and Norway (a good deal higher in Finland's case); all slightly larger countries than ourselves, so a good point of reference.

The Netherlands (Pop. 17m) has a prison capacity of 15'000 to our 4'300, and are in fact closing prisons and taking prisoners from other countries due to overcapacity in their system.

http://www.prisonstudies.org/country/ireland-republic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,556 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

The level of government involvement needed to make sure scumbags don't behave like scumbags would be unbearable. Imagine the surveillance and government presence in our lives. Cameras everywhere, everyone would need to carry ID by law.

People get annoyed when a guard asks "where are you going?". Imagine the power guards would need to have In order to eradicate scumbag behaviour.

I've a sneaking suspicion that posters will support all sorts of measures like surveillance and garda powers for OTHER PEOPLE, but definitely not for themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I suppose if you're a member of the absolute dregs of society, life can't get any worse for you. If you're living in a ****hole, surrounded by violent criminals than a trip to prison might not sound all that bad. At least you have a bed for the night and get fed three times a day. The problem is people are too focused on making prison worse rather than looking at making life on the outside better.

The level of government involvement needed to make sure scumbags don't behave like scumbags would be unbearable. Imagine the surveillance and government presence in our lives. Cameras everywhere, everyone would need to carry ID by law.

People get annoyed when a guard asks "where are you going?". Imagine the power guards would need to have In order to eradicate scumbag behaviour.

I've a sneaking suspicion that posters will support all sorts of measures like surveillance and garda powers for OTHER PEOPLE, but definitely not for themselves.

You sound just like a judge. People make mistakes fair enough, but make a mistake 30 / 40 / 50 times then you shouldn't be out on the streets. The Guards are paid to deal with scumbags, if it means more survelance for safer streets I'm all for it. Not sure who would go for dangerous streets with less survelance. ??

Yurt! wrote: »
    Interesting statbank for prisons across Europe. We have a higher prison capacity than Denmark, Finland and Norway (a good deal higher in Finland's case); all slightly larger countries than ourselves, so a good point of reference.

The Netherlands (Pop. 17m) has a prison capacity of 15'000 to our 4'300, and are in fact closing prisons and taking prisoners from other countries due to overcapacity in their system.

http://www.prisonstudies.org/country/ireland-republic

They probably have a functional judicial system, big difference there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement