Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where's the deterrent for shіthead scumbags in society?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Some Yoke

I don't know anything about him. Who is he?

No problem. Do you want more examples of guys like that too?
    Have plenty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Crock Rock

In this jurisdiction, there exists the concept of innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt by a jury of their peers. It’s a rather long winded way of saying we don’t penalise innocent people. The scumbags in your story didn’t actually commit any crime, and you have them already on the run :pac:

I know. Poor wording on my part.

What I meant was if he HAD actually stolen the GPS.
    I'm comparing what would hypothetically happen to him / her in Ireland compared to elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,659 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Crock Rock wrote: »

I'm comparing what would hypothetically happen to him / her in Ireland compared to elsewhere.

The only comparison you offered so far is Nazi Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭corks finest

Oops! wrote: »
    2 words..... Legal system.
    2 words-bad parenting

Some Yoke wrote: »
    No problem. Do you want more examples of guys like that too?
    Have plenty

There is a website with details of court cases. If you can give links from there go ahead.

• Advertisement

2 words-bad parenting

I think someone who describes other people as filthy scum vermin only suitable for slave labour, lost out a bit in the parenting stakes as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Crock Rock

The only comparison you offered so far is Nazi Germany.

Consecutive sentencing exists in the USA.
    There, the hypothetical vermin would have been charged with a myriad of offences if he / she smashed a car to steal an item.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

We need to start holding parents responsible for their kids. Bail is a joke, and "justice system" moves glacially slow.

This cnut, a tough childhood it seems, unsurprisingly turns into Grade A scrote. A litany of scumbaggery before eventually getting prison. Parents both junkies, kid hadnt a chance.
    But society shouldnt have to put up with this shîte.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/crime/pictured-teenager-who-repeatedly-slammed-door-into-girls-head-and-set-fire-to-her-hair-in-sadistic-attack-37966639.html

• Registered Users Posts: 13,318 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Did you just Godwin your own thread?!

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Some Yoke

There is a website with details of court cases. If you can give links from there go ahead.

So what consequence did he face then? Have a look at this website yourself I'm sure you'll find plenty of examples. Not giving private details on here but maybe your definition of consequence is more like minor inconvenience. Hope you don't have any run ins with them.

• Advertisement

Some Yoke wrote: »
    So what consequence did he face then? Have a look at this website yourself I'm sure you'll find plenty of examples. Not giving private details on here but maybe your definition of consequence is more like minor inconvenience. Hope you don't have any run ins with them.

What should I search for on the website? They are public documents, so no need to worry about that. You may even have seen reports of the court cases in newspapers?

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Spleerbun

Would it be fair to say that our welfare system greatly incentivises welfare recipients to have more and more children? And would it also be fair to say that these children often grow up to repeat the same cycle as their parents?

If so, why have we not (or maybe we have and I'm not aware) explored options to reverse this incentivisation? Offer, for example, to increase social welfare benefits to those who agree to sterilisation. Could well be large take up of the offer too. One or two generations later and the numbers of long terms recipients could be significantly down.

Admittedly I have not put a great deal of research into the idea, but if the only objection was on moral grounds as opposed to on a practical level, then full steam ahead

Spleerbun wrote: »
    Would it be fair to say that our welfare system greatly incentivises welfare recipients to have more and more children? And would it also be fair to say that these children often grow up to repeat the same cycle as their parents?

If so, why have we not (or maybe we have and I'm not aware) explored options to reverse this incentivisation? Offer, for example, to increase social welfare benefits to those who agree to sterilisation. Could well be large take up of the offer too. One or two generations later and the numbers of long terms recipients could be significantly down.

Admittedly I have not put a great deal of research into the idea, but if the only objection was on moral grounds as opposed to on a practical level, then full steam ahead

When Child Benefit (Childrens Allowance) was introduced in 1944, the payment was only for the third child and subsequent children. Nothing for the first two. Reverting to this or something similar would easier than sterilisation. Back in those days families in general were much larger, despite the lack of generous welfare schemes.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,693 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

What I meant was if he HAD actually stolen the GPS. I'm comparing what would hypothetically happen to him / her in Ireland compared to elsewhere.

I’m not meaning to be obtuse or anything, but you’re using a terrible hypothetical example, when there are many, many examples of crimes which have been committed by juvenile offenders who have a record the length of both my arms outstretched. In your story, nothing would happen to them because they didn’t actually do anything only checking the door of the car was locked so someone else wouldn’t steal the GPS!

I do get where you’re coming from, and the deterrent is simply that they could face any number of potential charges depending upon how the law is applied and what they are actually accused of doing, and what they are found guilty of doing, and there’s a scale of liability and sentencing guidelines and so on, so the idea of putting 17 year old Johnny Uptonogoode behind bars for any kind of a lengthy stretch for thievery is probably not going to happen. In other countries they would be more inclined to lop his hands off or serve him with 100 lashes, but that has yet to be shown to reduce criminal behaviour in those countries.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

A good old style war with conscription would clear out lots. We haven't had one in ages.

spurious wrote: »
    A good old style war with conscription would clear out lots. We haven't had one in ages.

War is God's pruning knife.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭mikemac2

In olden times we shipped our criminals, convicts and trouble makers to Australia

Party true these days :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Eugenics is the only way.

With limited state resources, I'd be choosing my battles here. And the priority should be really, really serious sentences for people who commit violent or sexual crimes. The legislators and courts are genuinely shameful in all the excuses they make for the perpetrators of this frequently life-destroying violence.

The robbery stuff, while bad etc, is in nowhere near the same category as the above. It's only money/material stuff. That's what we have insurance for. I was reading in today's paper about that 17-year-old Italian student paralysed for life in an attack in Fairview Park by a Dublin scumbag in 1999 James Osborne, who served a few years in prison for destroying that kid's life (and his mother's). There are now far, far too many similar cases of Irish judges sending all the wrong messages regarding punishment to any drunken moron/bad bastard who might want to smash a glass bottle over your head or rape somebody you love (instructively, it was the murder of Declan Flynn for the crime of being gay, also in Fairview Park, in 1982 that resulted in the judge in that case giving suspended sentences to each of the murderers).

Mother of student paralysed in assault thanks Ireland for support: Guido Nasi left with catastrophic brain injury after 1999 attack in Dublin park

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

Why is there no consequences for being scum vermin in Ireland?

We need mechanisms to rid ourselves of our current judiciary, this business of double and at time triple digit convictions walking the street is insanity. Read the court section of the papers, the same rubbish told to the judge over and over, how many times can you hear "oh he's dealing with [x]" or "he fell in with the wrong people", over and over and not pick up on it? how are they this stupid?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,231 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Anyone else read that as "what's the detergent for scum?"

Real rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

The prevalence of actual scumbags has decreased an awful lot in the past 15 years or so. Youd still see them regularly in certain parts of Cork and Dublin but for the most part there arent nearly as many. The threat is much exaggerated as far as I can tell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Hobbling..

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rustynutz

+1 for slave labour. I'd introduce sterilisation too. A lot of these scumbags are 2nd/3ed generation scroungers. Not everything in the Third Reich was terrible

Sterilisation wouldn't be required if our social welfare system wasn't so generous. People being allowed to make a career out of scrounging, and then being able to afford to bring kids into the equation so they can also spend a lifetime living on hangouts.

If you refuse to work you should only just survive off the state, food vouchers and no choice on where you live, take the accommodation you are given. And save the social welfare money for workers who have genuinely fallen on hard times.

I have a feeling the unemployment rates would drop dramatically, but this will never happen as the scroungers have loads of time on their hands to protest, and vote. The growing sense of entitlement amongst this section of society is the real ticking time bomb for future generations, soon there won't be enough workers to fund them and the rest of us when we reach pension age

• Registered Users Posts: 23,693 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

rustynutz wrote: »
    The growing sense of entitlement amongst this section of society is the real ticking time bomb for future generations, soon there won't be enough workers to fund them and the rest of us when we reach pension age

Yeah, real problem alright, in every section of society -

'We need the public to support us' - family in home battle over €25m debt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

The prevalence of actual scumbags has decreased an awful lot in the past 15 years or so. Youd still see them regularly in certain parts of Cork and Dublin but for the most part there arent nearly as many. The threat is much exaggerated as far as I can tell

Disagree.

They seem to have infiltrated every town in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,025 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Law is a business

The scumbags are a source of revenue

no scumbags no income

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭El_Bee

I'm genuinely glad for you that you don't have to interact with what I can only describe as excrement in human form, but I tell you now it it not the case where I'm from, and I'm sure many others would say the same.

• Site Banned Posts: 40 The Fools

If being soft on crime worked then Ireland would be a crime free paradise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

Some day a real rain will come.........

Must watch Taxi Driver again

Advertisement