Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you know any transgender people?

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭noubliezjamais

glomar wrote: »
    working in a job .. there was a MTF trans . Huge building .. women didnt want him ( her ) using the womens bathroom . this is a company that boasts pride etc .. anyway made her use the disabled toilets .. as there women objected to her using theirs

probably why trans people have a high suicide rate tbh...discrimination like this and this is probably a fraction of what she receives daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭CroatoanCat

probably why trans people have a high suicide rate tbh...discrimination like this and this is probably a fraction of what she receives daily.

Women are perfectly entitled to express their boundaries about who should access their sex-segregated facilities. Women should not be shamed for experiencing discomfort and unease at the presence of a male-bodied person in their sex-segregated space. It is insidious emotional manipulation to link women's entitlement to boundaries to any risk of suicidal ideation that may apply to a particular category of persons.

The individual in question should be afforded respect and dignity in the workplace. Offering the person access to a third space achieves that without encroaching on the rights of the women who work there. Male-bodied people and female-bodied people can and do interact happily and without any problems on a mixed-sex basis for the vast majority of human interactions. However, there are a small number of environments, facilities and services in which, for the privacy and dignity of both men and women, and the safety of women, a single-sex provision is or should be maintained, namely, spaces where people may be particularly vulnerable, such as toilets, changing rooms, hospital wards (especially closed psychiatric wards), prisons, homeless shelters and refuges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,204 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

wiggle16 wrote: »
    Kind of sad to see so many posters state that they wouldn't want to know someone based upon something so arbitrary.

It's also pretty astonishing that someone can say that they would not like to be friends with a transperson but maintain that it's not prejudiced because they know in advance that they would have "nothing in common".

The implicit premise in that statement is that transpeople are all alike in aspects other than their sole shared characteristic of being trans. Jack, that's what a prejudice is. You're forming an opinion of someone that's not based upon their individual attributes, but rather upon their membership of a group with assumed characteristics. You're making a very weak attempt to dress it up as something that's based upon logic mixed with experience and not upon an arbitrary prejudice - but I suspect you know it doesn't wash. I know you're a clever guy, I don't buy that you can't see that for what it is.

But I didn’t say I wouldn’t want to know someone based upon the fact that they are transgender? I don’t know whether your misinterpretation of what I said was intentional or not, but given what you’ve posted I have no reason to think you’re misinterpreting what I said with malicious intent, unlike the bould Danny there who is spewing bigoted crap at a rate of knots while trying to condemn other people for their hypocrisy and prejudices :pac:

It is prejudice, and I know it is, but as I said earlier, what matters as far as I’m concerned is whether or not a person’s prejudices cause them to act with malicious intent towards another person, and in Danny’s case when he asked me about my other, what I would consider to be unrelated beliefs, I didn’t perceive any malicious intent in the question so I didn’t mind answering it honestly. Had I known then that he would use that information to further his own prejudice and bigotry, I’d simply have informed him that the question was irrelevant to the discussion. Would I see myself as having anything in common with Danny? Nope, and on that basis I wouldn’t want anything further to do with him, because quite simply he’d wreck my bulb.

Same principle applies to people who are transgender as far as I’m concerned - we don’t have anything in common, and I don’t know how you can maintain I’m not judging on one individual attribute when that’s exactly what I’m doing - the individual attribute we’re discussing here being that they are transgender.

I don’t pretend not to understand why I’m supposed to pretend that I believe a person is the sex I know they aren’t - it’s precisely to alleviate their discomfort with how they perceive themselves. I’m expected to pretend that I’m the person who is experiencing gender dysphoria because I don’t perceive them to be the sex they wish me to perceive them to be? There’s a term for that - gaslighting. In case there is any doubt as to the understanding of what I mean by the term, it’s this -

Gaslighting is a form of psychological manipulation that seeks to sow seeds of doubt in a targeted individual or in members of a targeted group, making them question their own memory, perception, and sanity. Using persistent denial, misdirection, contradiction, and lying, it attempts to destabilize the victim and delegitimize the victim's belief.

In no other context that I’m aware of, would such behaviour on the part of the perpetrators be tolerated, and I don’t see any reason for tolerating such behaviour from anyone, particularly when it’s express purpose is so that the perpetrator can feel better about themselves that they have managed to undermine their victims perception and have them questioning whether or not they are mentally disordered. I would be prejudiced against anyone, any individual who would attempt to use such tactics, regardless of whatever characteristics were under discussion, and I certainly wouldn’t want to associate myself with them in any way, on any level.

Does that imply that I would not want to be friends with someone who is transgender? That’s only one of many possible logical conclusions if your own prejudices lead you to believe that I would act with malicious intent towards another person. The other possible logical conclusion is that I don’t have any issues whatsoever with anyone experiencing gender dysphoria, and that I would have no malicious intent towards another person on that basis. If I perceive that they had the malicious intent to try and undermine my perception, then, we’re talking about something else entirely, because then the fact that they’re transgender is irrelevant, it’s the fact that they’re attempting to gaslight me into questioning my own perceptions and my own sanity and implying that I am the person who is mentally disordered. I don’t appreciate anyone fcuking with my mind like that.

Dannyriver wrote: »
    Of course he does but like all religious conservatives on the one hand his church tells him certain lifestyles are inherently wrong but on the other hand it is unchristian to hold prejudice. Perhaps he'll pray for their sins.

Danny in another unsurprising display of your own hypocrisy and bigotry, you’re in no position to lecture anyone on bigotry and hypocrisy, and you’re especially in no position to lecture anyone on empathy when you yourself are clearly unfamiliar with the difference between empathy and ego. Your “empathy” for other people is entirely based upon your own ego - they have to think like you do or you cannot “empathise” with them. That’s not empathy, it’s ego. I’m in the fortunate position at least that I don’t need what you consider empathy, I don’t need to kiss your arse, basically, thankfully. I have no doubt though you’ll have no shortage of arse kissers, I just wouldn’t want to be one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

Women are perfectly entitled to express their boundaries about who should access their sex-segregated facilities. Women should not be shamed for experiencing discomfort and unease at the presence of a male-bodied person in their sex-segregated space.

Whats a male bodied person in your opinion for the context here?
    there are a small number of environments, facilities and services in which, for the privacy and dignity of both men and women, and the safety of women, a single-sex provision is or should be maintained, namely, spaces where people may be particularly vulnerable, such as toilets, changing rooms, hospital wards (especially closed psychiatric wards), prisons, homeless shelters and refuges
    There are existing sex based protections(exemptions) in law (Equal Status Act) for services and goods. There is no law covering toilets. Hospitals, changing rooms, shelters, refuges are at their own discretion dependent on the person presenting to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Dannyriver

But I didn’t say I wouldn’t want to know someone based upon the fact that they are transgender? I don’t know whether your misinterpretation of what I said was intentional or not, but given what you’ve posted I have no reason to think you’re misinterpreting what I said with malicious intent, unlike the bould Danny there who is spewing bigoted crap at a rate of knots while trying to condemn other people for their hypocrisy and prejudices :pac:

It is prejudice, and I know it is, but as I said earlier, what matters as far as I’m concerned is whether or not a person’s prejudices cause them to act with malicious intent towards another person, and in Danny’s case when he asked me about my other, what I would consider to be unrelated beliefs, I didn’t perceive any malicious intent in the question so I didn’t mind answering it honestly. Had I known then that he would use that information to further his own prejudice and bigotry, I’d simply have informed him that the question was irrelevant to the discussion. Would I see myself as having anything in common with Danny? Nope, and on that basis I wouldn’t want anything further to do with him, because quite simply he’d wreck my bulb.

Same principle applies to people who are transgender as far as I’m concerned - we don’t have anything in common, and I don’t know how you can maintain I’m not judging on one individual attribute when that’s exactly what I’m doing - the individual attribute we’re discussing here being that they are transgender.

I don’t pretend not to understand why I’m supposed to pretend that I believe a person is the sex I know they aren’t - it’s precisely to alleviate their discomfort with how they perceive themselves. I’m expected to pretend that I’m the person who is experiencing gender dysphoria because I don’t perceive them to be the sex they wish me to perceive them to be? There’s a term for that - gaslighting. In case there is any doubt as to the understanding of what I mean by the term, it’s this -

Gaslighting is a form of psychological manipulation that seeks to sow seeds of doubt in a targeted individual or in members of a targeted group, making them question their own memory, perception, and sanity. Using persistent denial, misdirection, contradiction, and lying, it attempts to destabilize the victim and delegitimize the victim's belief.

In no other context that I’m aware of, would such behaviour on the part of the perpetrators be tolerated, and I don’t see any reason for tolerating such behaviour from anyone, particularly when it’s express purpose is so that the perpetrator can feel better about themselves that they have managed to undermine their victims perception and have them questioning whether or not they are mentally disordered. I would be prejudiced against anyone, any individual who would attempt to use such tactics, regardless of whatever characteristics were under discussion, and I certainly wouldn’t want to associate myself with them in any way, on any level.

Does that imply that I would not want to be friends with someone who is transgender? That’s only one of many possible logical conclusions if your own prejudices lead you to believe that I would act with malicious intent towards another person. The other possible logical conclusion is that I don’t have any issues whatsoever with anyone experiencing gender dysphoria, and that I would have no malicious intent towards another person on that basis. If I perceive that they had the malicious intent to try and undermine my perception, then, we’re talking about something else entirely, because then the fact that they’re transgender is irrelevant, it’s the fact that they’re attempting to gaslight me into questioning my own perceptions and my own sanity and implying that I am the person who is mentally disordered. I don’t appreciate anyone fcuking with my mind like that.

Danny in another unsurprising display of your own hypocrisy and bigotry, you’re in no position to lecture anyone on bigotry and hypocrisy, and you’re especially in no position to lecture anyone on empathy when you yourself are clearly unfamiliar with the difference between empathy and ego. Your “empathy” for other people is entirely based upon your own ego - they have to think like you do or you cannot “empathise” with them. That’s not empathy, it’s ego. I’m in the fortunate position at least that I don’t need what you consider empathy, I don’t need to kiss your arse, basically, thankfully. I have no doubt though you’ll have no shortage of arse kissers, I just wouldn’t want to be one of them.

Funny how the bully ends up taking the position of victim. You were banging on about a dearth in scientific evidence re transgender so I quizzed you as to whether you believed whether a man rose from the dead. Had you not mentioned the need for scientific evidence to justify your argument my question would have been irrelevant but alas you made it very relevant. Your little piece around ego and empathy just suggests you dont understand the meaning of either word.

Funny how the bully ends up taking the position of victim. You were banging on about a dearth in scientific evidence re transgender so I quizzed you as to whether you believed whether a man rose from the dead. Had you not mentioned the need for scientific evidence to justify your argument my question would have been irrelevant but alas you made it very relevant. Your little piece around ego and empathy just suggests you dont understand the meaning of either word.

You have that arseways Danny. I didn’t ask anyone for any scientific evidence whatsoever. Even in my earlier response to klaaaz, I suggested that more research was necessary before putting forward medical and surgical treatments as the only possible treatments to alleviate gender dysphoria.

Your question is still irrelevant, because it’s predicated upon your own prejudiced perception of people who experience gender dysphoria - that they think just like you do! You’d shìt the bed if you ever met a person who is experiencing gender dysphoria who is also religious, also conservative, and yet one of the most famous people who are transgender is themselves both religious and conservative - Caitlyn Jenner, who is on record as saying that it was harder for her to come out as Republican than it was to come out as transgender.

And she is by no means the only person who is transgender, religious and conservative, there are many people who share these characteristics, yet because of your own prejudices, and your ego, you could only ever possibly empathise with those people who share your political and social beliefs, which I gather if you were leaning any more towards the progressive left, you’d fall over.

One of the defining characteristics of people who share your beliefs is that they are always trying to out-do each other in terms of how progressive they want other people to believe they are, and how empathetic they are with people who they really have no understanding of whatsoever, because their social activism is entirely based upon stroking their own ego, and having their ego stroked by other people who think just like them.

You have that arseways Danny. I didn’t ask anyone for any scientific evidence whatsoever. Even in my earlier response to klaaaz, I suggested that more [i]research[/i] was necessary before putting forward medical and surgical treatments as the only possible treatments to alleviate gender dysphoria.

Your question is still irrelevant, because it’s predicated upon your own prejudiced perception of people who experience gender dysphoria - that they think just like you do! You’d shìt the bed if you ever met a person who is experiencing gender dysphoria who is also religious, also conservative, and yet one of the most famous people who are transgender is themselves both religious and conservative - Caitlyn Jenner, who is on record as saying that it was harder for her to come out as Republican than it was to come out as transgender.

And she is by no means the only person who is transgender, religious and conservative, there are many people who share these characteristics, yet because of your own prejudices, and your ego, you could only ever possibly empathise with those people who share your political and social beliefs, which I gather if you were leaning any more towards the progressive left, you’d fall over.

One of the defining characteristics of people who share your beliefs is that they are always trying to out-do each other in terms of how progressive they want other people to believe they are, and how empathetic they are with people who they really have no understanding of whatsoever, because their social activism is entirely based upon stroking their own ego, and having their ego stroked by other people who think just like them.

Scientific evidence is entirely inferred by your 'more research' remark Jack . You might be fooling yourself but no-one else.

All the rest of the Sherlock Holmes stuff around 'people like me' is embarrassing and really not worth replying to as we both know its just emotion [anger] masked as logic/fact.

You have that arseways Danny. I didn’t ask anyone for any scientific evidence whatsoever. Even in my earlier response to klaaaz, I suggested that more research was necessary before putting forward medical and surgical treatments as the only possible treatments to alleviate gender dysphoria.

As for that point what makes you think that medical and surgical procedures are the ONLY option available to treat gender dysphoria. That is in fact the last option where are you getting your info on the subject?

Scientific evidence is entirely inferred by your 'more research' remark Jack . You might be fooling yourself but no-one else.

Again Danny, entirely based upon your own prejudices, you inferred from my post that I could only be referring to scientific research. There are many types of research, including but not limited to -

Research comprises "creative and systematic work undertaken to increase the stock of knowledge, including knowledge of humans, culture and society, and the use of this stock of knowledge to devise new applications."[1] It is used to establish or confirm facts, reaffirm the results of previous work, solve new or existing problems, support theorems, or develop new theories. A research project may also be an expansion on past work in the field. Research projects can be used to develop further knowledge on a topic, or in the example of a school research project, they can be used to further a student's research prowess to prepare them for future jobs or reports. To test the validity of instruments, procedures, or experiments, research may replicate elements of prior projects or the project as a whole. The primary purposes of basic research (as opposed to applied research) are documentation, discovery, interpretation, or the research and development (R&D) of methods and systems for the advancement of human knowledge. Approaches to research depend on epistemologies, which vary considerably both within and between humanities and sciences. There are several forms of research: scientific, humanities, artistic, economic, social, business, marketing, practitioner research, life, technological, etc.

I took it from here, underlining the most relevant part -

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Research

I use Wikipedia because it’s generally handy as a jumping off point when conducting research, but as klaaaz notes it is an entirely voluntary community effort so one has to be careful about individuals introducing their own prejudices there too.

All the rest of the Sherlock Holmes stuff around 'people like me' is embarrassing and really not worth replying to as we both know its just emotion [anger] masked as logic/fact.

You what now? Care to explain what this is about then -

Of course he does but like all religious conservatives on the one hand his church tells him certain lifestyles are inherently wrong but on the other hand it is unchristian to hold prejudice. Perhaps he'll pray for their sins.

It sure as hell meets your own standards for, as you put it, Sherlock Holmes stuff around 'people like me' is embarrassing and really not worth replying to as we both know its just emotion [anger] masked as logic/fact.

As for that point what makes you think that medical and surgical procedures are the ONLY option available to treat gender dysphoria. That is in fact the last option where are you getting your info on the subject?

Where in the sentence you highlighted did I say that medical and surgical procedures are the ONLY option available to treat gender dysphoria? I said that -

Even in my earlier response to klaaaz, I suggested that more research was necessary before putting forward medical and surgical treatments as the only possible treatments to alleviate gender dysphoria.

Because there is the perception for some people that these are the only treatments for gender dysphoria, and when they’re reading on a website maintained by the HSE that hasn’t been updated in years, that one of the outcomes of medical or surgical treatments is that they can change their sex, it’s giving people a false impression that by availing of medical or surgical treatments, they can change their sex and therefore alleviate their gender dysphoria.

This is just not possible, and for people experiencing gender dysphoria, their expectations need to be managed with greater care and more responsibility than is currently being offered to them by the HSE and some advocates of medical and surgical transition who are pressuring vulnerable people who are already experiencing difficulties with their mental health, to demand these treatments for themselves.

It’s highly irresponsible on the part of these people who are pushing for medical and surgical treatments to alleviate gender dysphoria at the expense of people’s lives who they don’t appear to give a damn about as long as those people conform to their beliefs.

There is considerable controversy among people who consider themselves to be members of the transgender community over these issues, with some people perjoratively referring to people who do not share their beliefs as truscum, based upon their beliefs about, well, transmedicalism.

I wouldn’t care to pick sides among that lot, but you knock yourself out there deciding which side is the greater victim you can empathise with :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Do often wonder do these round and round debates on the transsexual subject on here ever actually go anywhere?

We have had so many different threads based around the subject in AH alone that just go no where but a battle that no one wins!

Is there any point? Ha

• Advertisement

Again Danny, entirely based upon your own prejudices, you inferred from my post that I could only be referring to scientific research. There are many types of research, including but not limited to -

I took it from here, underlining the most relevant part -

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Research

I use Wikipedia because it’s generally handy as a jumping off point when conducting research, but as klaaaz notes it is an entirely voluntary community effort so one has to be careful about individuals introducing their own prejudices there too.

You what now? Care to explain what this is about then -

It sure as hell meets your own standards for, as you put it, Sherlock Holmes stuff around 'people like me' is embarrassing and really not worth replying to as we both know its just emotion [anger] masked as logic/fact.

Where in the sentence you highlighted did I say that medical and surgical procedures are the ONLY option available to treat gender dysphoria? I said that -

Even in my earlier response to klaaaz, I suggested that more research was necessary before putting forward medical and surgical treatments as the only possible treatments to alleviate gender dysphoria.

Because there is the perception for some people that these are the only treatments for gender dysphoria, and when they’re reading on a website maintained by the HSE that hasn’t been updated in years, that one of the outcomes of medical or surgical treatments is that they can change their sex, it’s giving people a false impression that by availing of medical or surgical treatments, they can change their sex and therefore alleviate their gender dysphoria.

This is just not possible, and for people experiencing gender dysphoria, their expectations need to be managed with greater care and more responsibility than is currently being offered to them by the HSE and some advocates of medical and surgical transition who are pressuring vulnerable people who are already experiencing difficulties with their mental health, to demand these treatments for themselves.

It’s highly irresponsible on the part of these people who are pushing for medical and surgical treatments to alleviate gender dysphoria at the expense of people’s lives who they don’t appear to give a damn about as long as those people conform to their beliefs.

There is considerable controversy among people who consider themselves to be members of the transgender community over these issues, with some people perjoratively referring to people who do not share their beliefs as truscum, based upon their beliefs about, well, transmedicalism.

I wouldn’t care to pick sides among that lot, but you knock yourself out there deciding which side is the greater victim you can empathise with :pac:

I go back to an earlier remark you made about your black friend, do you think everyone in here is 8 years old, seriously. Anyway Ill respectfully leave the debate with you on this if you dont mind. Now that you ve jumped off with your wiki search here are some sites where you can actually find out information. Don t fall on the way down :pac:

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/gender-dysphoria/

and here' s a whole host of info from the trans community

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2012/nov/29/transgender-advice-best-resources-online

http://www.teni.ie/attachments/664c0589-3011-46a5-a6a3-28269015b71b.PDF

https://www.hrc.org/resources/supporting-caring-for-transgender-children

I go back to an earlier remark you made about your black friend, do you think everyone in here is 8 years old, seriously. Anyway Ill respectfully leave the debate with you on this if you dont mind. Now that you ve jumped off with your wiki search here are some sites where you can actually find out information. Don t fall on the way down :pac:

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/gender-dysphoria/

and here' s a whole host of info from the trans community

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2012/nov/29/transgender-advice-best-resources-online

http://www.teni.ie/attachments/664c0589-3011-46a5-a6a3-28269015b71b.PDF

https://www.hrc.org/resources/supporting-caring-for-transgender-children

Eight year olds generally tend to be more mature than much of the crap you’ve been posting so far on this issue Danny, just you, as opposed to anyone else you’ll try and drag down to your level by suggesting that I should think anyone else here possesses the maturity of an eight year old child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Is there any point? Ha

Of course not grasshopper, but one must value the journey rather than focus on the destination, for the destination may never be reached.

In other words, talking shíte with internet strangers is it's own reward :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

seamus wrote: »

Shortly after that someone mentioned that he was trans, and all the bits fell into place.

Were they not taped up?

Advertisement