Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you know any transgender people?

Options
  • 23-04-2019 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭

Well do you? i don't know any (as far as i know)

If so how are they received in your area..are they accepted or looked upon as an oddity?

particularly in rural areas...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,357 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I do not.

I'd like to hear things from their perspective, rather than just having to read hot-take thrash in After Hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

Helllllllllllllllll no

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Arghus wrote: »
    I'd like to hear things from their perspective, rather than just having to read hot-take thrash in After Hours.

There was a regular poster on AH for years giving their perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,816 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

fryup wrote: »

If so how are they received in your area..are they accepted or looked upon as an oddity?

Yes I know a good few. My neighbour is treated very well in the area and accepted too.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

One. Girl to guy, has a better beard than me now. Doing well for himself. Still terrible at telling jokes.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,816 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

There was a regular poster on AH for years giving their perspective.

There was quite a few but honestly I can understand why there isnt anymore when they get such hate and hostility.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Not now, but I did know one many years ago. Or rather I knew them as an acquaintance when they were a he and then bumped into them nearly 20 years later when they were a she. Other than that I've briefly met two down the years.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

There was quite a few but honestly I can understand why there isnt anymore when they get such hate and hostility.

True, I certainly wouldn't say they got an easy time of it but the poster I'm referring to certainly gave as good as they got :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Not that I'm aware of.

Serious question...

...is a "transgender male" a female who transitioned to male or is it the other way around?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

I do but I only realised when I saw them interviewed for a newspaper. You can't really tell otherwise, they transitioned young.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Serious question...

...is a "transgender male" a female who transitioned to male or is it the other way around?

Trans man is a woman to man situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭noubliezjamais

Honestly, I don't know why people keep ridiculing conspiracies. Don't you think David Icke has a point about this stuff? If most people ask themselves the question, they hardly know any transgender people because in many countries they are an extreme minority, especially in Ireland given it's relatively small population.

Why then is there so much attention on the media. Is there a society changing agenda?

I'm not transphobic as I actually am bisexual and want to get castration (as birth control and have received ostracism from people for that).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,676 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

fryup wrote: »

Know a handful, they’re generally regarded as harmless, go about their business, sometimes viewed as an oddity but that has more to do with their terrible fashion sense than anything else really - they’re hard to miss in hot pants, fishnet stockings and thigh boots, but once you get used to it, nobody really bats an eye :D

If she’d stop hanging her bras out on the balcony now that’d be lovely :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'm not transphobic as I actually am bisexual and want to get castration (as birth control and have received ostracism from people for that).
    Ehh... have you heard of vasectomy? Just a tad less invasive and far far less damaging to the body than castration.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Honestly, I don't know why people keep ridiculing conspiracies. Don't you think David Icke has a point about this stuff? If most people ask themselves the question, they hardly know any transgender people because in many countries they are an extreme minority, especially in Ireland given it's relatively small population.

Why then is there so much attention on the media. Is there a society changing agenda?

You want to have your gonads removed as a form of birth control? Not sure you’ve thought this through to its natural conclusion, dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

You want to have your gonads removed as a form of birth control? Not sure you’ve thought this through to its natural conclusion, dude.

What I would have thought the actions of an extreme minority, as transgender people are referred to in the original post.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭zoe 3619

Yes,know a teenager who has transitioned from female to male.
    Seems very sure,articulate and imformative.
    Don't doubt for a minute that it's a life long choice and has been long coming.
    Very brave thing to do at that age and wishing him the best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Pero_Bueno

Not that I'm aware of.

Serious question...

not sure, I do know the medical term for a woman transitioning to a man is a strapadicktome though.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭thecornflake

zoe 3619 wrote: »
    Yes,know a teenager who has transitioned from female to male.
    Seems very sure,articulate and imformative.
    Don't doubt for a minute that it's a life long choice and has been long coming.
    Very brave thing to do at that age and wishing him the best of luck.

This is what I assume is a prime example of a transgender person (if I'm honest I don't have much experience in this field, so I'm open to correction).

Anybody who has the intelligence and courage to make a lifelong decision of being honest with themselves and others deserves the utmost of respect and support.

As I said I don't have much experience with transgender people but my perception of it from the general mass is a mixed bag of opinions most likely not helped with attention seeking people (on both sides).

Fair play to your mate for having the courage to be who they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

no. but i couldnt care less what they are. once someone doesnt piss me off i leave well enough alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

Yes my cousin is trans. Male to female. I also have another cousin who is gender fluid.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I know two who are MtF. Ones a close friend, the other was a good friend in college, have kinda drifted apart since, though we try to meet up every so often.

Lot of respect for both for going through such a tough process and for putting up some of the shíte they hear from people.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

A very close relative's child is transgender. 5 suicide attempts in the past two months, all of which were in an institution. When the private health insurance limit for in-patient hospitalisation is reached in the next few weeks, the parents are petrified given the fear they lived with on suicide watch each night (before getting up for work the next morning and looking after the other children) prior to their child's hospitalisation.

For the first time they have exhausted the infuriatingly little the health system chooses to give teenagers with mental health difficulties. Consequently, things are much more bleak now than before when they at least had hope. The depth of pain, fear, loneliness and abandonment some people go through cannot be put in words. All across Ireland there are decent, hardworking families enduring something similar. There but for the grace of God go we.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Don't know any as such as in friends but was out in town with a friend a few years ago and we saw a woman in a bar that looked really familar. We finally twigged it was a guy we went to school with that had presumably transgendered so we said hi and it was him/her and they had. Was good to meet up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

Yep. One of my parents is trans.
    And I've met loads when I lived in the UK. You get the odd stereotypical weirdo but seriously the vast majority just want to get on with their lives, dress like any other woman and have lives and identities beyond being transgender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Quite a few. Mostly nice people, one is a twat. Percentage wise that sort of tallies out with the general population in my experience.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

I live in SE Asia, so yes, quite a few. Thankfully, it's a lot more open and accepted here in many countries.

mike_ie wrote: »
    I live in SE Asia, so yes, quite a few. Thankfully, it's a lot more open and accepted here in many countries.

Same.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

<snip>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

I've known one, we were in a religious addiction treatment centre together. He was mid-transition from female to male, and looked like a man and went by a male name. However the management in the place refused to recognise his male identity, he was put sharing a bedroom with myself and four other women (which was a little bit uncomfortable for all involved) and was made participate in the female groups etc rather than being placed with the men. I felt sorry for him - his issues with his birth gender were a massive contributor towards his addiction, and here he was being forced to be female-but-not-really-female, like a square peg in a round hole all over again.

Advertisement