Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tesla Model 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,657 ✭✭✭✭ted1

cnocbui wrote: »
    Tesla's problem isn't manufacturing capacity, it's an evaporation of demand for all models. Their revenue fell 41% for the quarter.
    https://www.latimes.com/business/autos/la-fi-hy-tesla-earnings-elon-musk-quarter-20190424-story.html

How many were in transit. ? The previous quarter was distorted as they had none outside the states in transit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

ted1 wrote: »
    How many were in transit. ? The previous quarter was distorted as they had none outside the states in transit

About 10,000 if I remember correctly.

Sabre Man wrote: »
    About 10,000 if I remember correctly.

That's about 1.5 weeks of production, right. For the other reasons for the lesser revenue we have to wait and see what happens after the improved model S/X starts to ship in volume. There was definitely some demand shaping (no standard range cars available) from the company throughout Q1 until now combined with the rumours of upgraded models launching soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

samih wrote: »
    The lack of sales in US is due to half or more of the production sent to other markets. They only have a fixed number of cars to sell. The full production first went to US but now it's split between US/Europe/Asia. It is also the only reason why Tesla can't start selling the Model Y today as this would mean they would have to pretty much stop selling the Model 3.

Tesla badly needs more production capacity to be able to do what they want to do.

Production is not the issue...

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Production is not the issue...

I haven't heard any reports of Tesla slowing down the production rates of Model 3. Are they accumulating unsold cars somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

I definitely think Tesla still have the upper hand in terms of infrastructure and general technology (range to price to performance), however the wow factor is beginning to slightly wear off with the increase in competition, as well as stale designs and the Model Y was anything but inspiring.

Getting the Model 3 to a good a price point is fundamental for the company going forward and particularly when it comes to the Irish and UK markets I really don't think many people will touch the model 3 at a 50k plus price point. The Model Y maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭hatrack

Looks we might have some cars in the next 2-3 months. Assuming Ireland is included in this also.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1121469940815425536?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭hatrack

hatrack wrote: »
    Looks we might have some cars in the next 2-3 months. Assuming Ireland is included in this also.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1121478988386324481?s=21

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

monstrositys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,717 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Next month's Top Gear magazine cover:

O1EglTZ.jpg

Tesla Model 3 beats BMW M3 on a race track. Looking forward to reading that / seeing the video. I did not honestly believe that would happen for another few years. Sure the party trick of EVs is the incredible acceleration and the Tesla Model 3 is much, much faster off the line than the M3. Sure a 100k Tesla Model S is as fast as two million dollar hypercars like the Ferrari LaFerrari and the Porsche 918

But a new comer like Tesla actually making a car that drives so well it beats the car that has been the bench mark for performance saloons for decades???

I felt this deserved its own thread on the main motors forum, so I started a new thread there about this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

hatrack wrote: »

Confirmed Model 3 cancelled in Ireland due to battery shortages.

(At least that's what Tesla fans would be saying if this was VW, Hyundai or other manufacturers)

On a serious note, I presume Ireland will go live around the same time, the vehicles are exactly the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kuro68k

UK orders to start May 1st/2nd according to Musk. Its Musk time though so it might slip.

Expecting the cheapest model to be north of £40k... The Standard Range probably won't be available in the UK at all.

Do they have a demo car anywhere in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

kuro68k wrote: »
    UK orders to start May 1st/2nd according to Musk. Its Musk time though so it might slip.

Expecting the cheapest model to be north of £40k... The Standard Range probably won't be available in the UK at all.

Do they have a demo car anywhere in Ireland?

I was told they'd have it in by Summer last December when I went to book a test drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Calling out to Tesla today to look at the S and X so I'll let you know if the 3 is in 🀞

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Tesla running a bit scared of VW launching the ID by any chance :-)

Highly unlikely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Those press releases hmm 🀔

I guess they don't have a demo car at Sandyford then, even just to look at.

How are we supposed to order without even seeing one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

i was all for buying a model 3 asap when I thought the price would be around 35k euros, at 50k? nope, another diesel for a few years this year. or maybe a used model s if the prices do drop later in the eyar.

• Advertisement

copeyhagen wrote: »
    i was all for buying a model 3 asap when I thought the price would be around 35k euros, at 50k? nope, another diesel for a few years this year. or maybe a used model s if the prices do drop later in the eyar.

Not sure a used Model S is a good idea. The affordable ones will be early models, which had a lot of problems. Out of warranty they cost a fortune to fix.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I guess they don't have a demo car at Sandyford then, even just to look at.

How are we supposed to order without even seeing one!

They have not been released yet here so you can order one when they get their demo.

Or, you take the leap of faith and order online based on the real photos online and on many websites.

A bit like when a new phone comes out, you order online without actually seeing one in the flesh, although at multiples of the cost :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Out of warranty they cost a fortune to fix.

You could say the same for any car out there, 520d, Leaf, 535d, Audi A6...……………….

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

kceire wrote: »
    You could say the same for any car out there, 520d, Leaf, 535d, Audi A6...……………….

In fairness there is a lot of breakers up and down the country to get parts from and you can choose an independent garage, but there is a severe restriction on Tesla's given only Tesla themselves repair.
    Have you seen some of the prices Bjorn noted on his various repairs down the years, some of them are shocking (pun not intended)

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭kev22185

copeyhagen wrote: »

a black standard range plus with stock wheels is going to much closer to 40k than 50 tbf. it'll be a good while before we'll see a sub 40k Model 3 in Ireland imo. Especially now that autopilot is included in the base price

Was out in Sandyford today. No Model 3 in yet, though they expect the Irish configurator to go live next week. They're also not sure if it'll be a phased rollout of Performance and Long Range first, or if Standard Range will also be available. Expecting deliveries June/July.

Those with a deposit already down will have priority for test drives once the demo unit comes in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭IK09

Why am I seeing prices of €83,000 for the Model 3 everywhere now....

I thought it was supposed to be around $35,000???

Is this right or whats the price?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,140 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

IK09 wrote: »

Elon really wants to charge you $35k but he hasn't worked out to build it for that yet. :D

I think they are selling/shipping the expensive models first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,110 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

kceire wrote: »

Perhaps they are not very familiar with such expensive to repair cars in Norway because a Norwegian insurer has just increased their prices for Teslas because they consider them to be very expensive to repair, with long delays.
    (trans.)
    The group has carried out "substantial price increases in all segments", which, among other things, Tesla owners will be noticing ahead. Here the prize level has been too low.

-The main problem is that a Tesla is terribly expensive to repair, and there are long repair times. Historically, Tesla is incorrectly priced in the market, market pricing has been too low, but this is gradually aligned, chief executive Helge Leiro Baastad of Gjensidige said on a pressebrief on Thursday. At the head of Nett newspaper onomi expands on Gjensidige:
    Something new

-From the outset, when Tesla was launched in Norway, this was something new. There was a lot of horsepower, and there was something new for the insurance industry and for the customers. The price to insure a Tesla in the market has been too low. It's not because they crash more often, but because they are more expensive to repair and there are longer repair times.
    https://www.nettavisen.no/%C3%B8konomi/gjensidige-tesla-eiere-har-betalt-for-lav-premie/3423676547.html

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭SaintsYB

cnocbui wrote: »
    Perhaps they are not very familiar with such expensive to repair cars in Norway because a Norwegian insurer has just increased their prices for Teslas because they consider them to be very expensive to repair, with long delays.

If anyone watches MKBHD on YouTube, a truck drove into the side of his Model S while driving down a highway. Took about 3 months to fix and over $50k in repair costs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,031 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

SaintsYB wrote: »
    If anyone watches MKBHD on YouTube, a truck drove into the side of his Model S while driving down a highway. Took about 3 months to fix and over $50k in repair costs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFtxYb-GN9k

Not a great experience .... and apparently lucky to get it done so quickly.

I found the insurance approval interesting too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Lumen wrote: »
    Elon really wants to charge you $35k but he hasn't worked out to build it for that yet. :D

Base model 3 $35k shipped in the US last week, will be a while before they get here I assume

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,140 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

slave1 wrote: »
    Base model 3 $35k shipped in the US last week, will be a while before they get here I assume
    But I think they are losing money on those, so I expect volumes to stay low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

On holidays in Oslo at present. Seen about 10 Model 3’s during the day, very nice-looking car, except straight-on from the front.

Countless other Teslas everywhere (S & X), loads of other EV’s too, particularly E-Golfs and BMW i3’s. Also loads of strange ones like Nissan vans and a Renault ZE commercials. They’re really on the way to majority EV adoption here.

fricatus wrote: »
    They’re really on the way to majority EV adoption here.

They are indeed. 58% of all new cars sold today in Norway are full EVs

unkel wrote: »
    They are indeed. 58% of all new cars sold today in Norway are full EVs

Fine for them, condescendingly selling oil and gas to plebs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Mike9832 wrote: »

I think you’re being a bit unfair there. By being a test-bed for EV’s, they’re accelerating the decline of ICE and thereby the decline of demand for their oil. Unlike the Saudis and Qataris, who are happy to gas-guzzle their way to the bank in white Audi Q8’s and the thirstiest Porsches and Mercs.

Should the Norwegians not sell their oil or something, so they can be virtuous and poor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,154 ✭✭✭✭josip

I think you’re being a bit unfair there. By being a test-bed for EV’s, they’re accelerating the decline of ICE and thereby the decline of demand for their oil. Unlike the Saudis and Qataris, who are happy to gas-guzzle their way to the bank in white Audi Q8’s and the thirstiest Porsches and Mercs.

Should the Norwegians not sell their oil or something, so they can be virtuous and poor?

Even if they never sold the toxic black stuff, the virtuosity ship sailed a long time ago with the Vikings.
    Let them simply be poor.

josip wrote: »
    Even if they never sold the toxic black stuff, the virtuosity ship sailed a long time ago with the Vikings.
    Let them simply be poor.

Ah Jaysus. I've heard it all now. All that oppression. 800 years of the Brits. And 400 years of the Vikings before them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,154 ✭✭✭✭josip

unkel wrote: »
    Ah Jaysus. I've heard it all now. All that oppression. 800 years of the Brits. And 400 years of the Vikings before them?

Don't get me started on the Celts. Blow ins...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

josip wrote: »
    Don't get me started on the Celts. Blow ins...

I thought they decided the Celts never made it this far West on a documentary a few years ago :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,105 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I thought they decided the Celts never made it this far West on a documentary a few years ago :)

Was it on breitbart?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Mike9832 wrote: »

An Irish equivalent would be deciding to take action to reduce cattle numbers.

Sabre Man wrote: »
    I think they are selling/shipping the expensive models first.

Not doing that everywhere anymore

In Mexico SR and SR+ was launched on day 1

Fully expect the same here and the UK

Tesla needs the sales badly now

SR+ will about 45k imo

Cheaper than ICE rivals like BMW 330e etc but a good bit more than yokes like eNiro

It looks like the SR and SR+ are both limited to 100kW charging for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

LHD model in sandyford now. Bob Flavin saying it will (unofficially) cost from €49k. This would be post grant i would assume?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Nedved85

RedorDead wrote: »
    LHD model in sandyford now. Bob Flavin saying it will (unofficially) cost from €49k. This would be post grant i would assume?

Post Grant I'd say yeah. €49k, few k more than I was hoping for.

Is it in the showroom or are they using it for demo runs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

Is it in the showroom or are they using it for demo runs?

LHD so i would assume its static display only. Ring them and ask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

RedorDead wrote: »

Depends on which model he is referring to... SR, SR+, LR, Performance etc. If not the SR model it could easily be €49k after grant! ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement