Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

machines

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭obi604

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭B Rabbit

All 3 resemble the squat more so than a deadlift. No real hip hinge movement in any of them

• Registered Users Posts: 24,555 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

The hack squat and belt squat machines will be mostly useful for squat but by strengthening lower body muscles, it's not like the deadlift wouldn't necessarily benefit.

The hack squat and belt squat machines will be mostly useful for squat but by strengthening lower body muscles, it's not like the deadlift wouldn't necessarily benefit.

In regard to below, what does 1a target V 1b?

1. https://primalstrength...ite-iso-hack-v-squat

You can do 2 exercises here,

1a. Put your back against the pad and perform the exercise
    1b. Face towards the pad and perform the exercise

obi604 wrote: »

1. https://primalstrength...ite-iso-hack-v-squat

Probably slightly different focus on the quads, glutes and hamstrings in the same way as you can change focus by foot placement with leg press.

• Advertisement

So the thing is, I have a bad back. Have had it for years.

When I squatted in the past, it made the back pain worse and ended up putting me out of action.

What can I do instead of a squat to not risk messing up my back?

What can I do instead of a squat to not risk messing up my back?

I'd ask a physio. I don't know the limitations of what you can do.

I'd ask a physio. I don't know the limitations of what you can do.

Thanks. In general though and roughly speaking, what other squat type exercises are easier on the back?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,733 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Thanks. In general though and roughly speaking, what other squat type exercises are easier on the back?

What’s easy for someone else’s back, might not be as easy for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    What’s easy for someone else’s back, might not be as easy for you.

I second this. I've a flat thoracic spine and only through exploration with a good trainer who observes me through the most remedial variations of exercises have we found movements that don't exacerbate pain. In this way I've been able to develop strength.

There's plenty of ways to do rows for example, some cause me pain others don't.

• Advertisement

Hi

there are 2 new machines in my gym

1. https://primalstrength.com/machines/iso-plate-loaded/alpha-commercial-fitness-elite-iso-hack-v-squat

Which one of the above 2 would most resemble the ‘front squat’. Presume 1b

Unless you're looking to improve your front squat, it won't hugely matter which resembles a front squat best.

If your back is the issue, hack squat with your back to the pad will likely pose lowest risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,055 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

They are both essentially the same exercise. But back to the gives you a fw options that facing the pad doesn't.

Neither is like a front squat.
    Belt squat doesn't load the spine. I'd go with that if I had back issues.

Mellor wrote: »
    They are both essentially the same exercise. But back to the gives you a fw options that facing the pad doesn't.

Neither is like a front squat.

Belt squat doesn't load the spine. I'd go with that if I had back issues.

Thanks. What is ‘fw’ from above?

Thanks. What is ‘fw’ from above?

few

• Registered Users Posts: 39,055 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

As above. A few extra options if you face forward. Like placing your feet way out in front and making it sort of low-bar-ish.
    But standing upright (as you should be), it's not really any different which way you face

Mellor wrote: »
    As above. A few extra options if you face forward. Like placing your feet way out in front and making it sort of low-bar-ish.
    But standing upright (as you should be), it's not really any different which way you face

Doh. Thought it meant forwards or something.

Another q. The ‘landmine squat’ as in the below video — is this an alternative to the standard barbell front squat?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJ6XnlQ3yBU

Doh. Thought it meant forwards or something.

Another q. The ‘landmine squat’ as in the below video — is this an alternative to the standard barbell front squat?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJ6XnlQ3yBU

It's a squatting exercise and it's an alternative to barbell squat insofar as you're squatting with a load in front. But that's as far as it extends. It's not really comparable.

If you can't do barbell squats, then use what's at your disposal to do what you can. You don't need to find the best non-barbell alternative. You can use one for 4-6 weeks and then use another alternative.

It's a squatting exercise and it's an alternative to barbell squat insofar as you're squatting with a load in front. But that's as far as it extends. It's not really comparable.

If you can't do barbell squats, then use what's at your disposal to do what you can. You don't need to find the best non-barbell alternative. You can use one for 4-6 weeks and then use another alternative.

Thanks. Any ideas ?

Thanks. Any ideas ?

Any of the machines in your gym you mentioned.

• Advertisement

Hey. I didn’t mean if it was comparable to the standard barbell squat on the back. Meant is it comparable to the FRONT barbell squat?

Hey. I didn’t mean if it was comparable to the standard barbell squat on the back. Meant is it comparable to the FRONT barbell squat?

I know you meant thst. Hence the reference to squatting with a load in front. Not really comparable but it's not hugely relevant if you're not training to build a front squat.

Advertisement