Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squatting 3x per week

• 25-04-2019 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭

I've been squatting Monday, Wednesday, Friday- for the last 2-3 months. I've recently tested my 1RM and I'm fairly impressed with it.

Is this too much volume? Is an injury or plateau about to come my way?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

SSr0 wrote: »
    I've been squatting Monday, Wednesday, Friday- for the last 2-3 months. I've recently tested my 1RM and I'm fairly impressed with it.

Take your gains where you can. If you’re seeing progress and you feel good you’re obviously recovering and adapting ok.

But insufficient data for anyone to form an opinion. You mention frequency, 3 days a week. But what’s the volume. What sort of program? Reps sets?

Age weight gender?
    Beginner, intermediate, advanced?
    1rm?

In general sets/rep work is the weight progressing every day, weekly, monthly?

How are other lifts progressing ? Or are you focusing on squats ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,654 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

When it starts to have a negative impact on subsequent sessions, it's too much. It doesn't necessarily have to be too much but unless it's structured right, you'll possibly plateau...so you'll have to do more and depending on what you're doing, it could be a case of "well how do I do more?".

I used to squat 3 times a week but it was comp squat with high bar and front squat and you're working at lower intensities so you're not taxing the CNS as much.

Ride the gains wave but see how it's feeling and impacting sessions. If fatigue is costing you on your next squat day and day after, time to reevaluate

Also, pretty much all of the post above.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭SSr0

What sort of program? Reps sets?

Age weight gender?
    Beginner, intermediate, advanced?
    1rm?

In general sets/rep work is the weight progressing every day, weekly, monthly?

How are other lifts progressing ? Or are you focusing on squats ?

Monday- 4x8 @ 70% of 1RM

Wednesday- 5×6 @ 75% of 1RM

Friday- 5x3 @ 85% of 1RM

High bar squat in all lifts.
    I do some hamstring work and split squats as assistance work, but no upper body work.

32 Y/O Male
    Weight- 75kg
    I'm lifting seriously for a good few years so I'd be intermediate.
    1RM- 160kg

I test my 1RM every month and reset my working weight. Adding an average of 5kg per month on to my max.

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

Monday- 4x8 @ 70% of 1RM

Wednesday- 5×6 @ 75% of 1RM

Friday- 5x3 @ 85% of 1RM

High bar squat in all lifts.
    I do some hamstring work and split squats as assistance work, but no upper body work.

32 Y/O Male
    I'm lifting seriously for a good few years so I'd be intermediate.
    1RM- 160kg

I test my 1RM every month and reset my working weight. Adding an average of 5kg per month on to my max.

Thanks!

If it's working then keep at it.

If it was me I'd probably change things slightly. I'd have the Wed be a bit lighter and do the heavier stuff on Mon and Fri.

I've been doing something like this for ages and have found it good.

Monday: 20-40 reps between 70-80% (e.g 5 x 5, 4 x 8, 6 x 6, 7 x 5, etc.)

Wednesday: 9-15 reps between 60-70% (e.g. 3 x 3, 3 x 5, 5 x 3, etc.)

Friday: 9-20 reps between 80-90% (e.g. 3 x 3, 4 x 3, 3 x 4, 5 x 3, etc.) or sometimes work up to a 3RM, 2RM or 1RM

Pick a rep scheme that fits the rep prescription range. Start at the lower % and work up to the higher % over a 3 week period. The rep scheme you choose will affect the jump you can take week to week. Deload on over the first part of week 4 and test on Fri or Sat of that week. Then repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭SSr0

DylanJM wrote: »
    If it's working then keep at it.

If it was me I'd probably change things slightly. I'd have the Wed be a bit lighter and do the heavier stuff on Mon and Fri.

I've been doing something like this for ages and have found it good.

Monday: 20-40 reps between 70-80% (e.g 5 x 5, 4 x 8, 6 x 6, 7 x 5, etc.)

Wednesday: 9-15 reps between 60-70% (e.g. 3 x 3, 3 x 5, 5 x 3, etc.)

Friday: 9-20 reps between 80-90% (e.g. 3 x 3, 4 x 3, 3 x 4, 5 x 3, etc.) or sometimes work up to a 3RM, 2RM or 1RM

Pick a rep scheme that fits the rep prescription range. Start at the lower % and work up to the higher % over a 3 week period. The rep scheme you choose will affect the jump you can take week to week. Deload on over the first part of week 4 and test on Fri or Sat of that week. Then repeat.

That looks very good, cheers.

As fate would have it, my knee was a bit creaky this morning, so maybe it's time to change to your programme next week.

• Advertisement
Advertisement