Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter 20/21 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Eh newsflash, we are still in Autumn! Do you really actually think winter starts in early November?? Even met eireann have winter starting on 1st December. Secondly it snowed last winter and we had buckets of snow in 2018. Just the usual negativity and moaning on here.

Get a grip! We don’t live in the Canadian Rockies but we still do get some good snow events. Take a look around Europe over the coming week, nowhere is below zero, not even the likes of Moscow, oslo, Helsinki, Stockholm.

quote="Loughc;115253087"]Just silly. Firstly this is the Winter season not Autumn. And the same lads who are forecasting Winter every year haven't missed a beat they're spot on every year. There won't be snow in December, we'd be lucky if the temps drop below double figures let alone drop below 0.[/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭highdef

Loughc wrote: »
    Firstly this is the Winter season not Autumn.

Just silly. This is the autumn season, not winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

There are trends we can follow but in my opinion it’s still way to early to call this winter as a dud. The next few weeks are not looking good at the moment for any decent cold weather.
    The usual brief cold days in the mix but that’s all. Everything else is in FI. Speaking of which is there a model thread yet? Also a FI thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭bazlers

Looking forward to deep crunching snow this winter.
    Must be one of the best sounds hearing snow crunching under foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

highdef wrote: »
    Just silly. This is the autumn season, not winter.

Was wondering when this chestnut would arrive.. lol.. Winter is November for most of us non-tech met folks. Always has been; always will be.

The idea of November being autumn is more than " silly". ;):rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭pauldry

I think the idea of November being Winter ires some people as theres rarely snow in it but days and days of rain and wind are a signal for Winters start.

In school November was Winters start always and ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Graces7 wrote: »
    Was wondering when this chestnut would arrive.. lol.. Winter is November for most of us non-tech met folks. Always has been; always will be.

It's absolutely not. Do you consider August autumn?

pauldry wrote: »
    I think the idea of November being Winter ires some people as theres rarely snow in it but days and days of rain and wind are a signal for Winters start.

Yep! We were well raised! Winter is here. Fire lit, soup simmering. WINTER!

mcburns07 wrote: »
    It's absolutely not. Do you consider August autumn?

Here we go! every winter this comes up!

There is no rule saying each season has the same number of months in it. So why try to impose that artificially?

August is summer; Sept and Oct are autumn, November is winter. and so on.

If you want to think differently, that is absolutely fine; free country and all that! But we were raised and taught as we believe and observe.

Tolerance please! And it is winter here.

Have a wonderful day!

pauldry wrote: »

I think they are trying to standardise each season as three months?

Does not work.

Anyways, winter has arrived out here....off to light the fire..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭6541

I love this debate - A really good friend of mine who sadly passed this year (RIP) always claimed that Autumn was August, September and October. Winter was November, December and January. We had great craic debating this.

Here we go! every winter this comes up!

There is no rule saying each season has the same number of months in it. So why try to impose that artificially?

August is summer; Sept and Oct are autumn, November is winter. and so on.

If you want to think differently, that is absolutely fine; free country and all that! But we were raised and taught as we believe and observe.

Tolerance please! And it is winter here.

Have a wonderful day!

So winter lasts for 5 months in your world? March is on average 1 degree colder than November so has more claim to being part of winter than November does in my books.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭highdef

It's mid November and many trees still have leaves on them albeit brown, yellow and orange at this stage. I always thought that leaves fell from trees in the autumn season, not winter???

Also, February is joint coldest month of the year and I never see any green leaves on trees. Surely February can't be anything but winter???

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Summer - June, July, August
    Autumn - September, October, November
    Winter - December, January, February
    Spring - March, April, May

the above is officially the seasons we were told in school, now the weather may not always stick to the seasons above particularly in this country where similar conditions can pass through all 4 seasons.

Unfortunately when it comes to winter weather we often don't see the first signs of it till late January or early February when things begin to cool down more. Front loaded winters are an absolute rarity here. We usually get our snow just as Spring begins, usually not much more than a few flakes on the bin lids.

As for summer we usually get that in May and September, most of the time July and particularly August can be a rubbish autumnal month. If we had to pay for our seasons in this country i'd be looking for a refund every year on Winters and Summers. Autumn can pretty much strike at any stage throughout the whole year in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

I'm no weather expert but love reading the models and discussions on here; it seems like we can arbitrarily order the seasons by months and read models up to T+120 and debate jet streams, barometric pressure drops, uppers and shear -> but the weather will still do it's own thing regardless of what we think! :)

As a general comment; this November has been miserable muck imo - the only good thing was in the last 48 hours the deluge of rain here has literally washed most of the decaying leaves and mud off our back-roads - I fear if this level of rain/flood continue the roads will go too.

A few weeks of cold weather would be great in Jan/Feb timeframe - but we'll see.

Thanks to all here for the interesting ramping ;)

mcburns07 wrote: »
    So winter lasts for 5 months in your world? March is on average 1 degree colder than November so has more claim to being part of winter than November does in my books.

Now where did I say that! roflol...

Autumn is Sept/October

Winter is November through Feb.

Spring is March and April . Everything starts growing and SPRINGING in March..

Summer? May .June , July and August

That is how I live it and if you live it differently that is fine too. It is not about temps and stats etc but about the life of the world we live in; plants and trees etc.

But as I said; if you see it differently? That is your privilege. I am not quarrelling with you! OK? OK!

So why quarrel if someone sees it differently?

Today here is pure WINTER!

Bless you!

Tazio wrote: »
    I'm no weather expert but love reading the models and discussions on here; it seems like we can arbitrarily order the seasons by months and read models up to T+120 and debate jet streams, barometric pressure drops, uppers and shear -> but the weather will still do it's own thing regardless of what we think! :)

As a general comment; this November has been miserable muck imo - the only good thing was in the last 48 hours the deluge of rain here has literally washed most of the decaying leaves and mud off our back-roads - I fear if this level of rain/flood continue the roads will go too.

A few weeks of cold weather would be great in Jan/Feb timeframe - but we'll see.

Thanks to all here for the interesting ramping ;)

Absolutely to your first para. lol....

It rarely upsets or bothers me what the weather does. I got used to severe vagaries in a decade on a northern Orkney island and now am doing the same out here. The weather does rule but then at my retired age I have no outside obligations. Today, indoors .. Plenty to do

Now where did I say that! roflol...

Autumn is Sept/October

Winter is November through Feb.

Spring is March and April . Everything starts growing and SPRINGING in March..

Summer? May .June , July and August

That is how I live it and if you live it differently that is fine too. It is not about temps and stats etc but about the life of the world we live in; plants and trees etc.

But as I said; if you see it differently? That is your privilege. I am not quarrelling with you! OK? OK!

So why quarrel if someone sees it differently?

Today here is pure WINTER!

Bless you!

I'll leave this here. You'd do well to take your own advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 BruceK0508

I am not sure if anyone has pointed it out, But this winter seems to a crazy series of storms of all kinds all over America. Tropical storms in the east, winter storms in the west, tornadoes in the middle... I am constantly checking my climacell and shadow apps for updates for any storms headed my way. It seems that the entire year has been one disaster after another. Makes me wonder if 2021 is going to be better or worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭snowgal

Gonzo wrote: »
    Summer - June, July, August
    Autumn - September, October, November
    Winter - December, January, February
    Spring - March, April, May

the above is officially the seasons we were told in school, now the weather may not always stick to the seasons above particularly in this country where similar conditions can pass through all 4 seasons.

Unfortunately when it comes to winter weather we often don't see the first signs of it till late January or early February when things begin to cool down more. Front loaded winters are an absolute rarity here. We usually get our snow just as Spring begins, usually not much more than a few flakes on the bin lids.

As for summer we usually get that in May and September, most of the time July and particularly August can be a rubbish autumnal month. If we had to pay for our seasons in this country i'd be looking for a refund every year on Winters and Summers. Autumn can pretty much strike at any stage throughout the whole year in this country.

well it just goes to show, we all have been taught differently growing up..:)
    for me its always been:
    Feb/Mar/April spring ( In school, St Brigid's day was the first day of spring)
    May/June/July Summer
    Aug/Sept/Oct Autumn
    Nov/Dec/Jan Winter
    and before people go mad, Im just saying that is what we were taught in school etc .....and in my mind I go with that now for the seasons....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

snowgal wrote: »
    for me its always been:
    May/June/July Summer
    Aug/Sept/Oct Autumn
    Nov/Dec/Jan Winter
    and before people go mad, Im just saying that is what we were taught in school etc .....and in my mind I go with that now for the seasons....

I cant remember what we were taught in school but was always of the belief that:

Summer - June July and August
    Autumn - September, October and November
    Winter - December, January & February and
    Spring - March, April and May.

But in reality our summer in recent years has been April, May and June and then we had wet season for the rest of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

for me its always been:
    May/June/July Summer
    Aug/Sept/Oct Autumn
    Nov/Dec/Jan Winter

Yes, same here, we were taught this in School - I looked it up and it has something to do with the Celtic calendar - whatever that is! It's obviously outdated now! I'm slowly getting used to September being the start of Autumn!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭compsys

for me its always been:
    May/June/July Summer
    Aug/Sept/Oct Autumn
    Nov/Dec/Jan Winter

This comes up every year, and yes, I was taught those seasons in school too.

However, it's important to highlight that Ireland is the only country in the world that follows those seasons - every other country follows at least one month behind i.e. spring is March to May and summer is June to Aug. Any time I talk about weather to anyone in the UK they're baffled that we call Feb spring or may summer. It's important to highlight that Met Eireann, our own national weather service, who despite their shortcomings know a thing or two about weather, follow this definition too.

I also understand the USA defines summer as 20 June to 20 Sep (and this would be the warmest 12 week period in Ireland too) which further makes defining May as summer seem silly.

Of course you could argue that we rarely get summer anyway in Ireland and that winter never comes etc etc etc and we could all make up our own personal seasons but that's an entirely different conversation!

Also, from an average long-term temperature point of view, June to Aug are the three warmest months whereas Dec to Feb are the coldest so that should settle it imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

What always amuses me about this annual debate is that nobody seems to be aware of where it comes from. Imbolc, Bealtaine, Lughnasadh and Samhain are the four Celtic seasonal festivale, each marking the beginning of its respective season, and the Imbolc tradition in particular (Spring beginning on the 2nd of February) is something which has persisted in cultural memory and in a lot of primary school traditions etc. People didn't just pull the seasons out of their arses like :D

In fairness it actually does make sense - it simply defines the seasons based on hours of daylight as opposed to weather. The weather takes about a month to catch up with the planet's movement and tilt in relation to the sun, and this is why meteorological winter is one month ahead of the cultural winter in Ireland, which is still predominantly linked to daylight.

Most people associate November with Winter not only because of this tradition but because the clocks going back on the last weekend in October really makes it suddenly feel like we've been suddenly plunged into a different season altogether.

What does annoy me to be honest is the snobbery from some weather enthusiasts - I'd say the vast majority of people born pre-2000s were taught the cultural delineators of the seasons in school and by their parents, so they're not "wrong" and don't deserve to be made fun of or chastised for their belief that Spring begins in Feb and Winter begins in November. It's just a cultural thing which differs from the scientific term.

Personally I'll always hold that Winter begins in November seeing as it suddenly gets a lot colder and darker out. I realise that as far as weather systems go this is technically inaccurate, but those colouring books we had to fill out in Junior and Senior infants will take a lot more than internet squabbles to dislodge from my brain, and they consistently defined the seasons by their Celtic festivals rather than their meteorological changes. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Met eireann say winter starts on 1st December and it runs to end of February. Dec to Feb are the three coldest months of the year statistically. I know a lot of people from Scandinavia and they also say December to February is winter.

If you even go to Continental Europe most Novembers you will rarely see lying snow. Just look around the continent right now, hardly a snow flake being seen except mountains

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Met eireann say winter starts on 1st December and it runs to end of February. Dec to Feb are the three coldest months of the year statistically. I know a lot of people from Scandinavia and they also say December to February is winter.

If you even go to Continental Europe most Novembers you will rarely see lying snow. Just look around the continent right now, hardly a snow flake being seen except mountains

Absolutely. What I'm saying is that Ireland has always traditionally anchored its seasons based on daylight hours as opposed to climate, and that while this is not scientifically correct, it is certainly culturally correct and people shouldn't be made fun of for repeating the cultural method of defining seasons which they in all probability picked up in either primary school or at home.

Yes, to a meteorologist it's technically incorrect, but if you take into account that Irish tradition simply disregards the weather and anchors its seasons based on equinoxes and solstices, it makes as much sense as our meteorological method. Doubly so as long as Daylight Saving Time remains an annual feature (I know there are moves to abolish it at the moment) as for many people and for many generations, the beginning of Winter was inexorably linked to the end of British Summer Time and the corresponding arrival of afternoon darkness.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

What I’m presently teaching in school is that the Gaeilge for October is Deireadh Fomhar which literally translates to ‘end of autumn’. I definitely take the traditional view of the seasons, it’s what we’ve had for 2 millennia!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭compsys

Is this not supposed to be a weather forum?

The meteorological summer in Ireland is June to August and winter is from December to February. As that’s what the weather experts say.

Surely that should settle it, no?

According to Met E, we had the sunniest spring on record this year.

However according to some people here it wouldn’t have been recording breaking at all as May (the sunniest month on record for most) was in “summer.”

Correctly defining seasons is kinda important I would have thought.

compsys wrote: »
    Is this not supposed to be a weather forum?

The meteorological summer in Ireland is June to August and winter is from December to February. As that’s what the weather experts say.

Surely that should settle it, no?

According to Met E, we had the sunniest spring on record this year.

However according to some people here it wouldn’t have been recording breaking at all as May (the sunniest month on record for most) was in “summer.”

Correctly defining seasons is kinda important I would have thought.

Not in the slightest of any real importance! It is not as if we can either control or rely on the weather here... Just day by day now.

Dealing with and living with the actuality of day by day. Week by week, month by month. Knowing the changing weather will come and being ready for it. For general trends.

"weather experts" do not control the weather. And in Ireland thee can be and are many "weathers" every day depending on where in Ireland you live.

Wonderful that we cannot organise or control the forces of nature - but we can deal with the aftermath and respect them mightily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

If we be pedantic, then considering that the warmest 91 day period in Ireland, on average, is mid-June and mid - September, then that is what the true summer period is. For me, November is a real Autumn month, and while I appreciate that it can be dark and gloomy, this is only because we are just out of summer/early Autumn where long evenings are still fresh in our minds. Today, for example, will have about the same daylight length as a day in very late Jan or early Feb, but by then, we'll already be commenting on how the evenings are beginning to stretch out at last.

What I don't understand is how Feb and March can be classed as 'spring months', even in the old calendar. These two months are amongst the most brutish and grim of the year where death and despair is all encompassing, and I sometimes question whether April should be even classed as a spring month as well, given that there does be little sign of nature springing into life during it and often contains a chill that wouldn't be even felt in the winter.

New Moon

Advertisement