Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,822 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Still working I've just done it using my first and second name with a different bank account and email address. I'm getting 1gig for 54 euro no installation charge this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TM

Thanks @CoBo55 - so, same details except for a different bank account and email address? I used the exact same details last year (same address, name, bank account, email address etc.) and it worked OK. Sounds like the same approach will work this year again. In fact, I cannot find a definition of "new customer" or similar in any of the VM terms and conditions.

That's what I did, hopefully it'll keep working for the foreseeable 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭iphone6

Have tv and BB, paying €104 just out of contract was offered half price for 6 months at €49 then back to €100.

See sky have a offer 500mb bb and TV for €50 for 12 months tempted with this but not sure where the satellite dish will go don't want it on the front of the house just the chimney or the side. Agent on the phone said can just tell the lad who's doing the installation where to put it but that sounds too good to be true.

I don't think they'll put them on chimneys anymore, health and safety and all that😡. Just go with VM as a new customer, sorted.

• Advertisement

Called 1800940199 and got through quickly. But the best that I was offered was half price on 500Mbps for 6 months = ((6 x 35) + (6 x 70)) = 630 = 52.50 p.m. Or downgrade to 250Mbps (which would probably suffice for my needs) for ((6 x 30) + (6 * 60)) = 540 = 45 p.m. Which is the price for 500Mbps for new customers. So I gave my 30 days notice to cancel and will sign up again next month. And seems that they don't take back the white Hub 3.0 modem/router these days so that has to go into the WEEE... Plus I got lots of FUD about other providers. Which, to be fair, is accurate at the moment since the best that others can offer is non fibre ~ 15Mbps! 😄

It's 44 pm for 500 meg, new customer. I didn't think they offered 250 anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭raxy

Anyone who moved onto the 500mb plan notice really bad performance? Loads of lagging when opening sites, pages not loading properly & needing to refresh.

She offered it (250Mbps @ ((6 x €30) + (6 x €60))) to me. Maybe they only offer it to try to keep customers who are cancelling and don't offer it to new customers. I'll sign up as a new customer next month once the cancellation takes effect.

Are you testing this on a wired connection in your house or on wifi?

The latter involves too many variables to be a good test.

What speed/latency are you getting on a wired ethernet speed test?

• Advertisement

Is it with the latest router? I wasn't happy with it at all, I've the 1gig package, same thing, good actual download speeds but a lot of lag going on. Got modem mode up and running, dusted down the old Asus router and it's transformed 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭alowe

I am amazed - after over 15 years with VM best they could offer was 6 months half price, 6 months full - so still a good €300 above competitors. I told them repeatedly that to keep me they needed to go 9 months half price, but was told because I was on that offer for the last 2 years, that there was no way she could offer that - so i've put in my cancellation. Luckily we have option of siro and eir fibre - hopefully can get the installation close to where our current modem is, as it'd be a pain to have to cable.

Kn wouldn't put the modem where the VM modem is for me. I cancelled Eir and went with VM for another year as a new customer. Sign up for ftth while you still have VM up and running, if it works out all well and good, if not you can go as a new customer. I'd like to have gotten ftth as there's more competition in that market.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭JDxtra

I can't be the only one who hates doing this stupid dance with Virgin every year.

I don't think I'll bother this time around. Eir now have fibre to my area. Their two year offers can't be beaten by Virgin pricing even with the discounts shown here.

Time to cancel.

After two years, I'll just see what Sky and Vodafone have on offer. I use my own WiFi routers so the disruption to me will be minimal.

Make sure to factor in the April price rise when doing your figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Anjunadeep

My cancellation date was set for yesterday but I notice my internet service is still active.. the TV service was deactivated tho..

Do I need to call them about the Internet (I fear they will continue to charge me) or does it sometimes take a couple of days for the internet to be cancelled?

EDIT : turns out it was just timing..

Post edited by Anjunadeep on

• Registered Users Posts: 1 adamk89

Our 12 month deal with Virgin of €59 for 500mb Broadband and TV expired yesterday. It rises to €99 thereafter. We don't want the TV anymore so rang up yesterday to see what they could offer me for broadband only. Agent said best she could do was €55 for 6 months rising to €70 for the next 6 months. Had a think about it, rang back today and told them I want to cancel. Today's agent offered €55 for 9 months, €70 for 3. Said it still wasn't good enough and cancelled. He didn't try improve that offer further.

Due to be cancelled 30/07 now. Judging by this thread I'd be good to wait until then and just sign up again as a new customer for the €44 a month deal? I said to the agent yesterday what's to stop me getting my girlfriend to sign us up as new customers at the end of it and she said it's nothing to do with the name, it's the household so your address would be blocked from doing that. I feel like she was spoofing on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭boardz

I'm out of contract on my 500mb next month having had 9 months half price. I called to cancel yesterday and after a 20 minute wait I quite quickly was offered to upgrade to 1Gb at half price for 9 months. I was going to cancel and order Eir if I hadn't gotten this deal but very happy now. As you can see below it cheaper than what a new customer is paying which is proper order having been with them for years. The 45 line is Eir.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭FreeFallin

I signed up for 500Mb Broadband + Big TV + World Talk for €59 as a new customer last year. They're now attempting to charge €106 (80% increase) for the same service, as soon as the initial 12 month period is up. I won't pay this and am happy to move provider if I need to.

Any advice on the best way to handle this with Virgin Media to keep a renewal deal in line with my existing deal (e.g. call them, email them, cancel and sign-up again, etc.)?

Cancel and sign up as a new customer, easiest and cheapest way to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭TheRona

What's the best deal anytime has had on a 2GB connection with Virgin? My contract is about to end, having paid an average of €52.50/month for a 1GB connection.

Virgin have emailed me offering a 2GB connection at €90/month, but I could just switch to Eir for a 1GB connection at €45/month.

I'd love to know if anyone has got the 2GB connection down to a low price, even if that speed is complete overkill and totally unnecessary.

I think it's totally unnecessary as all hardware that I know of can only handle 1gig and that's using a wired connection. I even think 1gig is overkill as nearly all homes are wireless and with the exception of the odd device running WiFi 6 you'll never get more than 500 meg download. Next year I'll go back to 500, I'd go back to 250 if it was cheaper (and available).

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Pretty much this. We had the 250Mb package and moved to the 500Mb package recently as it is the cheapest they offer. If you switched us back to 250Mb tomorrow no-one would notice. As broadband speeds increase the relative difference between them disappears. The difference between 25Mb and 100Mb is huge, 250Mb and 1Gb not so much. Obviously it depends what you are doing but for the vast majority once you go past a few hundred megs it is more or less the same.

I had 65meg on a fttc line and it worked perfectly nothing ever bogged down it was perfectly fine for everything, we'd be a high usage house, gaming, stream, netflix, you know yourself, it all worked without a stutter.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭boardz

Hub 5 arrived today and shout out to Doptech for the tip of changing the SSID and password to the old ones. Worked like a charm!

It's a nice router in fairness, pity it doesn't have a usb port.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭alowe

So issues with the cable been blocked, was to be fixed tomorrow, now postponed to next week - which is only giving sky 2 days to get engineer in and siro up and running, which I don't think will happen. So whats the best way to get my hubbie to go as a new customer? When I try to do it online, its not working for our address, says I have to select a package (which I did, it just doesn't seem to want to process it) - do he ring up before we're cut off or the day after? Is it possible then to keep our landline number as if he asked to have it swapped to him as new account holder, surely they'll see its the same address? Thanks for help.

Ooh, just thinking - can I ring VM up and cancel my cancellation - and then cancel the next day so giving me an extra month to get sky sorted? Or if I go back, will it have to be for a year?

Try the site again it has been very glitchy lately. I use a different email and bank account each time, it should work. I'm using my first and second name this time, next year I'll just use my first name only, I might try ftth again maybe I'll get someone with an actual working brain😵‍💫

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Cancelled my 500mb broadband service yesterday with Virgin. Was a customer for over 20 years (NTL/UPC/Virgin)!

Best offer was 9 months half price (€35), 3 months full price (€70). Year #1 cost would be €525, but then I'd have to call back looking for another offer after a year.

With Eir, it's €40 per month for two years. So, year #1 and #2 are €480. Plus they offer credits on bills for new customers (€50 or €100). It's a no brainer to be honest.

Personally I also really hate this stupid song and dance every year with them. I know all operators do it, but I would much rather pay a fair flat price. At least with the FTTH installed I can now flip between Virgin/Eir/Sky/Vodafone after 2 years easily. I use my own WiFi routers so I don't even need to change SSIDs or passwords.

• Advertisement

Be careful of Eir and others there's a hefty increase every April, sky don't do it. Honestly I'd get 500 for the year @ 35 a month and flip then. They never apply those money off offers after certain months it's a con.

Advertisement