Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,869 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Cancellation started, service due to end on the 6th of June. Hopefully the ftth works out🫣, sweating now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 kraken1983

Seeking for advice. What would be the best strategy to renegotiate the best possible price in my situation? And when should I do it?

In august 22 I started a new broadband contract with VM (internet only) for 45 euros for 12 months, then 70 euros/mo. The speed is 500megabit. I think I should be able to renegotiate this in august (or should I do it before?) for a lower price, possibly lower than 45. I want to keep at least the same speed.

Can someone please guide me through this process? Thanks a lot!

• Administrators Posts: 53,508 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

There are no real strategies other than being firm.

Ring up in August, tell them you are unwilling to pay 70 euro a month. Figure out what other broadband providers are offering new customers and have the figures in your head. Ask VM what they will offer you. Don't be afraid to push for a better offer if their first offer is a bit crap.

It's highly unlikely you will get 45 or less for 12 months again. 9 months at a reduced rate seems to be the best you'll get as a current customer.

When you ring and get the automated phone menu go straight to cancellations. Don't go to the accounts / billing department, as they are very limited in what they will offer you. Cancellations have more scope.

Be prepared for them to:

1. Talk nonsense about the competition / alternative options available to you. You'll hear things like "we own our own network" or "the competition increase their prices every year" or "you won't get the speeds they say" etc. Just ignore it all, it's garbage.
    2. Try and sell you TV and phone.

You can also ask them what they'll offer you for their 1gb broadband. The difference between what they offered me for 500mb and 1gb worked out at about €1.75 a month, i.e. practically nothing to double the speed.

I had a 6 months half price offer on the table but went ahead with the cancellation as I thought I was getting ftth, well that turned out be horse poo. I got the laziest numpty KN could send and he found every excuse in the book not to do the job. In the end he left saying a different crew were going to come and dig up the front of the house and run the fibre across the front of the house in an underground wired estate 😱 I'd be a laughing stock. I went and ordered 1gig as a new customer €54 for 12months and a €100 gift card, I'll swap again next year, old ways are best as they say☺️

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭raxy

You need to give notice (30 days or a month) if you want to leave so you need to call them in July.

Check the new customer offer at the time. Then ring up & push for the best deal you can get. Generally 9 months half price is the best they will give.

If they don't give a good deal cancel & sing up in a different name. I switch between me & my wife. They deliver new equipment in a couple of days so I cancel & re-order for a few days before the old contract ends.

• Advertisement

Got the modem yesterday for my new package, it has WiFi 6 and a 2.5gig port a nice modem in fairness, still no usb port which is a pity. You don't realise how much stuff is on your network until the password changes ☺️

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Diego Murphy

I was on €60 a month for 250mb. Just phoned them. Told them I was moving to Eir

-They offered me €55 a month for 6 months, rising to 80 for 1GB

-They then offered me €40 a month for 6 months, rising to 80 for 1GB

-I told him if he did €40 for 9 months, I'd stay. He went silent for a minute and agreed it.

Call was 14 mins including waiting time so was worthwhile.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,767 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Just change the SSID and password on the router back to what the old one was! 😉

I've had problems doing that before, some devices unable to connect etc... AHH keeps me on my toes 😊. TVs are the most annoying with those stupid on screen keyboards, especially when they don't follow the proper keyboard layout 😡😡. They're a thing of the past now as they're both on my wired system now😊

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭boardz

Does this modem have 5ghz and 2.4ghz?

Great tip from DopeTech on changing SSID etc!

• Advertisement

Yes it does, they're combined by default but it's easy enough to separate them if you want. It's the hub6 according to its config page.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Since you are answering questions CoB, do you know if it can be "bridged" i.e use your own Router and essentially put VM's Router into modem mode.

Partly why i keep on 250MB with the Cisco EPC3925, as it can be bridged.

The higher speeds are tempting but for me a flawless connection with low jitter and latency over speed is key.

Not as it is as I'm on a dslite IP address and it's broadcasting the horizon WiFi. If I get moved to an ipv4 address and get the horizon WiFi switched off I "should" be able to put it into bridge mode. That's the way is was with the previous routers anyway. In its defence it's actually a very good router with perfect coverage, no usb port unfortunately which is disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Duit

Yearly call to VM. More than 30 wait, extremely annoying customer rep....

We were on €60 a month for 250mb. Following other user's advice, told them we was moving to Eir

• He offered me €55 a month for 9 months straight away, rising to 70 for 500mb. Told him that it was too expensive
    • He then offered then €35 a month for 6 months, rising to 70 for the same 500mb (52€ average monthly cost). Told him that it was too expensive
    • He then offered then €45 a month for 9 months, rising to 60 for the same 250mb we currently have. I was tempted to take it but I asked him if he could do 9 months 35€ on the 500mb. He told me he couldn't. Told him that it was too expensive, and I wanted to move to eir. He start telling me all short of BS about eir, speeds, installations times and so.... Insisted about going to eir due to price. He argue back about speed (we can only get 100mb at home). Replied with price > speed
    • He then finally offered 45€ for 9 months, rising 80 for 3 months for 1GB. I was a bit tired of the back and forward and as I got 9 months discount and increased the speed significantly I accepted it. Hopefully SIRO will roll out at some point in our area, otherwise we will continue battling these guys every year

Just cancel and rejoin as a new customer, 500 for €44 for 12 months, saves all that bolloxing.

That will be probably next year approach. I got really tired of all the BS... I thought Vodafone got in an agreement with VM to used their infrastructure but only 100 mb offers shown at our address. If next year Vodafone offers 1GB speed at our address we will definitely play the game

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Jesus this is me every year with them! Keep telling them its price over speed but they never listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭raxy

They signed an agreement with them but aren't using their network yet. I asked vodafone when renewing mine & was told there is no information on when they will start.

The only way is keep pushing them. The moment they see you are ready to move then they start making better offers. If I don't get what I want I usually tell them I will discuss with my wife and call back. Then I go to the customer rep and start the battle again... It's extremely annoying but it's the only way with these guys

Thank you the info. Let's hope they start using their infrastructure soon

Post edited by Duit on

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭p15574

I was on 300MB or so for €70 and had let the annual call slide for 6 months or so but then got a call about a price increase so I clicked the 'cancel' option and waited for their call. They called within a few days. I said that they were offering 500MB for €44 for new customers and my own plan was too expensive so I was moving. Initially they quickly enough offered the 500MB at half price for 6 months. I said I knew they were giving it to other people for 9 months and within about 30 seconds they agreed so I've stayed.

Slight problem then in that the new modem arrived while I was away for a week. I thought that would be no problem and it could await my return but then the existing one stopped working and obviously that caused a lot of consternation in the house. Eventually my very non-tech (adult) daughter managed to self-install using the instructions - amazing what they can do when they need WiFi. They had to use the new SSID and password though.

Next problem was all the other network stuff I'd setup that needed sorting when I got back, like the above:

• resetting SSID and password to the old one temporarily
    • Then skipping that anyway and putting the router into modem mode and getting my Google Wifi nodes back working again
    • Then trying to sort issues with network drives I have, mapped on the various laptops in the house
    • Now I seem to also have lost my Plex server's metadata
    • My Hue (for various lights around the house) has also stopped working - haven't had time to investigate that

Overall, I expected it to be relatively seamless (once I switched it to modem mode) but it has been a bit of hassle. Working in IT, I should know better myself and should have taken notes when I was originally getting all the above working, so I'd have a cheat sheet to recreate it all.

• Advertisement

How did you get modem mode working? Is it the new hub6?

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭p15574

Yes, Hub 6. Just logged on to it (192.168.0.1) and used the admin password on the bottom of the router - then after following the "first setup" steps, the usual options become available, one of which is the modem mode. Now it's ip address has changed but I can still logon to it. Here's how the "Modem mode" options looks for me now. I messed things up initially and had to reconnect directly using a cable, but got it working eventually - and once again, I didn't take notes. [Sorry if this is off topic]

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭absolutegroove

After many years with VM my EIR Fibre Broadband installation is due and confirmed for tomorrow.

Let’s see what happens!

Hope you don't get the same numpty I got🤬🤬🤬

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭absolutegroove

You had me very worried CoBo55 but

it was a straight forward install (thankfully) and the installer was sound out and dig a great job and was here for about one hour and twenty minutes.

I did a speed test straight after and I'm getting 497mbps Download and 49.8mbps Upload over Wi-Fi.

I still have the 14 Cooling Off Period so at least I can test it out for a while and see if I run into any problems.

That's brilliant, it really opens up your options. I'm committed to VM for another year I might try ftth again next year and maybe I'll get an installer that actually wants to do the install, it isn't difficult at all he just wasn't bothered.

No modem mode option on my router screen, I have a dslite IP address, I'm not exactly sure what it is but I know I have to have an ipv4 external IP and horizon disabled before modem mode becomes available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TM

Contact support and ask them to disable dslite/enable IPv4 for you. Last time I did it I had to use the complaint form on the website because phone wait times were ridiculous (they still are) and the chat was useless (it's even worse now having checked it today). Once you have IPv4 you can enable modem mode and use your own wifi.

My 12 month contract is up next month and I'm probably going to have to the same thing this year. Cancel and then sign up as a new customer to avail of the new customer offers. I can handle a couple of days down time if it comes to it. Unfortunately still no fibre services in my area 3km from Dublin city centre. They've installed the cabling and the surrounding area can get service but still not us. So VM is unfortunately the only option.

Others have mentioned cancelling and then signing up with another person's name but I didn't have to do that last year. Cancelled and once the account was confirmed as closed I signed up online using my own name/details as on the original account. I had checked with a rep that this would work and she said yes. I was skeptical but it did. I'm hoping that it will work again this year!

Got it sorted last week, I wasn't too long waiting either, the automated voice said it was going to be an hour but I got through in less than 5 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TM

Just wondering - as I mentioned previously, last year I gave 30 days notice to cancel, they closed the account, (I later returned the gear), but as soon as the account was closed I signed up online as a new customer with the same details (my own name, same address, DD details etc.) and this worked fine. I had checked that this was possible twice with support because I assumed that there would need to be a gap (30 days? 90 days?) in between. But I'm just wondering if anybody has done that recently/this year in case anything has changed? There's no other adult at the address so using another person's name isn't an option. Maybe I could use my ainim as Gaeilge if last year's approach doesn't work this year? 🤣

My 500Mbps (fine for my needs) @ €45 p.m. contract ends next month. If I do nothing this will shoot up to €70 p.m. from month 13 onwards. (As I also mentioned no fibre services in my area yet so there's no practical alternative - 12-15Mbps (ADSL I presume) from eir/Vodafone/Sky will not cut it).

If I can sign up as a new customer I'll get it for €44 p.m. - and probably get whatever One4All voucher they're giving at the time. Admittedly I also had to pay a connection fee of €30 (?) last year but they seem to be waiving that these days? So even if they gave me 9 months @ €35 + 3 months @ €70 I would still probably be better off cancelling and rejoining apart from the hassle and the day or two downtime (which I can put up with).

Am I missing anything?

Advertisement