Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

191 VW Golf petrol, yay or nay

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

or you could go for the Mazda 3 in 1.5 petrol or 2.0 petrol similar engine size to your old golf and only €200 road tax.

2018 (182) Mazda Mazda3 1.5P 100 BHP non turbo
    https://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=2107388&r=s.php%3Fm%5B%5D%3D51%26o%5B%5D%3D925%26f%3D1%26b%3D2%26t%3D1%26yn%3D2018%26yx%3D2018%26f2%3D1%26g%3D0

MAZDA NEW Skyactiv-X Engine is due out I think next September
    https://spectrum.ieee.org/transportation/efficiency/mazdas-new-skyactivx-engine-gives-new-life-to-internal-combustion

Maybe they might have a sale of the present Skyactiv-g engines Mazdas before the launch next year of Skyactiv-X Engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭gooner99

Not sure if many in Ireland were affected by the 1.0L Ecoboost issue. Probably sold in tiny numbers. But good news for UK owners.

https://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/motors/2018/1001/999232-ford-to-compensate-car-owners-whose-engines-have-failed/

• Registered Users Posts: 32,991 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

DaveyDave wrote: »
    OP what spec were you thinking of in the Golf? Are you considering a factory order?

There's a few options people could suggest if you're thinking of any. Either way the tech pack is a must have. On lower spec trims it adds alloys, heated folding mirrors and on the Highline it adds heated seats, reversing camera and high beam assist. Depends on what you need.

I have a 2016 Highline.

I have a reversing camera and high beam assist, but not heated seats.

So have I got the tech pack or not? I just assumed these features were standard on the Highline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

NIMAN wrote: »
    I have a 2016 Highline.

So have I got the tech pack or not? I just assumed these features were standard on the Highline.

I have found that VW something will have offers on the packs or extra, dealer will order a few in at discount rate and by the time the delivery comes in the pack/extra will be back to full price....they make a few quid extra

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

DaveyDave wrote: »
    OP what spec were you thinking of in the Golf? Are you considering a factory order?

There's a few options people could suggest if you're thinking of any. Either way the tech pack is a must have. On lower spec trims it adds alloys, heated folding mirrors and on the Highline it adds heated seats, reversing camera and high beam assist. Depends on what you need.

I have a 2016 Highline.

Maybe they added heated seats for the Mk7.5? It adds the Winter pack which has heated washer nozzles too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Maybe read again

Not sure what difference it makes to you? apart from trying to ruin his/her thread:confused:

All opinions are welcome. All food for thought is appreciated. Electric cars - I've never driven one. A colleague has one, she swears it's the best thing ever.

BuboBubo wrote: »
    All opinions are welcome. All food for thought is appreciated. Electric cars - I've never driven one. A colleague has one, she swears it's the best thing ever.

I had a number of Golf's over the years...1.9Tdi/2ltr etc, in petrol we went Audi and BMW but the Audi was A3 so the Golf in nicers clothes :D

The eGolf is a far better drive and a lot more fun to drive than any of them. Especially if back roads/city driving.

They are not cheap, a new one is 36k and a demo model is 32k(181).

The eGolf will not be replaced after the current 36kWh version. The ID Neo(above) will replace. It will start at 25k with options(based on reports). Order 2019 and delivery in 2020.

I have the older 26kWh version, 151, even with the smaller battery we do 90% of our driving in it. It will do 140km+ per charge in mixed driving , more if you haven't a heavy foot like me. Would probably suit your needs and you could pick up one for circa 20k....fuel costs :D I done 15k kms last year for less than 300 euro, in my diesel car that would have cost 1600....I do all my charging at home, I dont use public system which is still free if you get a free charge point.....VW are installing their own chargers and it looks like it will be circa 8 euro "per fill"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Looking to change my old MK5 next year (March) and would like to stick with petrol - but...

1 litre petrol! That's all I can find :(

I drive approx 50 km per day, currently have a 1.6 petrol, and occasionally pull a small single axle trailer. The Golf I have is very capable of doing that imo. Unless 1 litre engines have changed drastically over the past 20 years (thinking back to the 1980s Polo of my youth here!)

They have. Take one for test drive, you'll be very surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

I would doubt the 1.0 petrol gets more MPG than the diesel tbh..

I had no issues regurarly going below 5.0l/100km (albeit in a slightly lighter Fabia and Ibiza). Short trips and loads of stop-start and you'll get upto 6.5l/100km.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,563 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

New model Golf getting launched next year

Also the new ID models are coming out......based on information starting price will be 25k

The Neo(not confirmed yet as production name) will be the replacement for the eGolf.....exterior will be smaller than Golf but interior will be same as Passat

If you order next year dont expect delivery till 2020

Really your requirements would suit electric perfect. The hybrid Golf will continue but it is expensive. So electric might be better option. It is probably more expensive to petrol but fuel cost/tax/tolls etc are all reduced

Below image is not confirmed as final model

screen-shot-2018-04-26-at-10-58-23-am.jpg?quality=82&strip=all&w=1600

Why don't VW just make this the next Golf or are the afraid of being radical? Be brave and radical VW. Do a Ford and make this the next Golf. Surely it would be cheaper to design one car to take all sorts of drive systems instead of designing and building two separate cars.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Its hardly a brave shape. Its kinda featureless with terrible quarter light windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Nastiest-looking car I've seen in a long time - even if it is just a rendition. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

It's incredibly ugly and there's quite a few out there close to that accolade.

AMKC wrote: »
    Why don't VW just make this the next Golf or are the afraid of being radical? Be brave and radical VW. Do a Ford and make this the next Golf. Surely it would be cheaper to design one car to take all sorts of drive systems instead of designing and building two separate cars.

VW will have two platforms more or less. The current platform for Golf, Passat, Tiguan etc and the new MEB platform for Neo, Crozz, Buzz etc

Both of these platforms will be available to Seat, Scoda, Audi etc

So you will have two distinct range of cars. Long term they have said potentially the Neo will replace the Golf is combustion engines are banned. But that won’t happen till 2040 so no point getting rid of now

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

That's really ugly looking imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

What about a Renault Megane?

1.2 petrol is 130BHP and 1.6 petrol is 205BHP.

Cheaper than a Golf too

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭oscar2

Not all electric/hybrids are homolagated (type approved) to tow. So if you wish to tow even a small trailer check first.

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/know-how/can-electric-cars-tow/

What about a Renault Megane?

1.2 petrol is 130BHP and 1.6 petrol is 205BHP.

Cheaper than a Golf too

There is a very good reason why it is cheaper than a Golf

I will let you guess why

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Philb76

How about the new polo not a lot of difference size wise now lovely interior tsi petrol engine are good and will be years before it's replaced highline comes well specced

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Nothing wrong with the current or last Megane, they are very good cars. Just because something is more expensive doesn't automatically mean it's superior.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I think the Megane GT looks quite nice. The inside looks nice too, not as nice as a Golf in my opinion, and I can't comment on the quality, but the style is definitely up there. Comes with a fair bit of spec too and with a 200hp dual clutch for €30k it's definitely worth a look if your budget is up there.

As mentioned already the Polo is also very nice.

Honda Civic, while an acquired taste, is in the same price range and looks to have nice spec too. I'd be looking at the 1.5 though as the 1 litre is a tad slower than the Golf.

I don't know if towing is an option on those cars, just worth looking at as rivals to the Golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

There is a very good reason why it is cheaper than a Golf

I will let you guess why

Golfs are overpriced?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

import a 1.5tsi golf from the uk plenty of 172/181

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Glen_Quagmire

kooga wrote:
    import a 1.5tsi golf from the uk plenty of 172/181

What money would you be talking including VRT?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

What money would you be talking including VRT?

Check it out on https://www.ros.ie. I'd say slightly north of €20K.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Why don't VW just make this the next Golf or are the afraid of being radical?

Er, cos it's ugly as ****?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Philb76 wrote: »
    How about the new polo not a lot of difference size wise now lovely interior tsi petrol engine are good and will be years before it's replaced highline comes well specced

Agreed side wise on the outside they aren't a million miles away but the new Polo isn't a nice car at all IMO.

The inside of the new Polo is nasty, the low roof is cramped, the dash and door cards feels budget, no centre armrest, shonky handbrake, tiny cup holders, no grab handles and the TSI engine is a 65bhp non turbo unit that takes 16 seconds to 100km/h.

They'll probably be a good car in 2-3 years when VW work out all the things that are crap about them because on the outside they do look smart.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

oscar2 wrote: »
    Not all electric/hybrids are homolagated (type approved) to tow. So if you wish to tow even a small trailer check first.

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/know-how/can-electric-cars-tow/

Yep. All electric cars out for now if OP has a trailer. Except one of the teslas I think.

Know of two people who've had to give up on EV purchasecthis year as manufacturer cant allow a hitch on the car

Wailin wrote: »
    Er, cos it's ugly as ****?

Errr.....it's a concept.....

The alloys should of hinted at that :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Errr.....it's a concept.....

The alloys should of hinted at that :P

I know. But it was a response to someone asking why don't they make this the next golf....

Advertisement