Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

191 VW Golf petrol, yay or nay

Options
  • 14-10-2018 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭

Looking to change my old MK5 next year (March) and would like to stick with petrol - but...

1 litre petrol! That's all I can find :(

I drive approx 50 km per day, currently have a 1.6 petrol, and occasionally pull a small single axle trailer. The Golf I have is very capable of doing that imo. Unless 1 litre engines have changed drastically over the past 20 years (thinking back to the 1980s Polo of my youth here!)

I don't want a diesel car tbh, expensive parts etc and a lot of my journeys are less than 10km.

I would welcome all opinions on this :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭scooby77

Hybrid? Toyota releasing prices end this week for new corolla hatch ( auris name gone)...New 2.0 seems relatively sporty.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭rosmoke

I have a 1.6 TDI 105bhp mk6 Golf.
    A few months ago I drove the new mk7 1 liter, it's in 3 cylinders and a better turbo, has 115bhp or something like that, definitely faster and more economic than my TDI.
    I'd definitely get the petrol one as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭MarkN

Have you driven the 1.0 petrol in the MK7? It's nippy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

MarkN wrote: »
    Have you driven the 1.0 petrol in the MK7? It's nippy enough.

No, I haven't. Not buying until March - but I probably should really. Just got a shock when I saw they were 1.0, was thinking of moving up to a 2.0 petrol :D I know feck all about cars though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

BuboBubo wrote:
    No, I haven't. Not buying until March - but I probably should really. Just got a shock when I saw they were 1.0, was thinking of moving up to a 2.0 petrol I know feck all about cars though.

Most petrol engines today are small turbo units. Skoda octavia comes in a 1 litre as does most the range.

I drive the older 1.2 tsi 100km a day fine. How occasional is the trailer use though? And what.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

OP, the Mk8 Golf is being launched next year so bear that in mind when buying. You need to be getting a very good deal on the existing model given it's been replaced in 2019 and even given that I'd probably hold out. Maybe have a look at a 181/182 pre reg or demo model, VW dealers have lots of them before the new WLTP rules came into play. There could be a substantial saving there to offset the depreciation when the new model is launched.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

The 1.0L turbo is one of the most surprising engines I've driven in a while. It's a much nicer engine than the 1.6 diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,105 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

rosmoke wrote: »
    I have a 1.6 TDI 105bhp mk6 Golf.
    A few months ago I drove the new mk7 1 liter, it's in 3 cylinders and a better turbo, has 115bhp or something like that, definitely faster and more economic than my TDI.
    I'd definitely get the petrol one as well.

I would doubt the 1.0 petrol gets more MPG than the diesel tbh.

And also take into account that diesel is approx 10c per litre cheaper than unleaded as well.

NIMAN wrote: »
    I would doubt the 1.0 petrol gets more MPG than the diesel tbh.

And also take into account that diesel is approx 10c per litre cheaper than unleaded as well.

At the distances the OP travels the diesel will cost far more than petrol, factoring in maintenance

• Registered Users Posts: 11,867 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I had that engine in an A3...no issues ! Not great for overtaking. I got the 1.5 petrol and it's a lovely drive. Would you not go for that in Golf if you want petrol?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

New model Golf getting launched next year

Also the new ID models are coming out......based on information starting price will be 25k

The Neo(not confirmed yet as production name) will be the replacement for the eGolf.....exterior will be smaller than Golf but interior will be same as Passat

If you order next year dont expect delivery till 2020

Really your requirements would suit electric perfect. The hybrid Golf will continue but it is expensive. So electric might be better option. It is probably more expensive to petrol but fuel cost/tax/tolls etc are all reduced

Below image is not confirmed as final model

screen-shot-2018-04-26-at-10-58-23-am.jpg?quality=82&strip=all&w=1600

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

At the distances the OP travels the diesel will cost far more than petrol, factoring in maintenance

Agree with you Cork_exile.

MPG - not an issue, I've no interest in something that goes 69 mpg but wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding! I'm not driving long distances, dont want the expense of diesel parts etc. Trailer is used approx twice a month - few bags of coal/ load of timber/10 bags of animal feed/ride on mower (not all at the same time).

From reading all the replies I'm not ruling out 1.0 litre petrol, I will test drive it and ask a multitude of questions before signing anything. If I don't like it, I'll get something else.

Thanks everyone for your replies, I appreciate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Look at the torque and bhp of the engines you are comparing. Often the new turbo engines are much more powerful than the older larger engines. But compare the figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

The 1 litre in the Golf is more than capable of overtaking. I do it plenty as I drive the N4 almost daily and it's absolutely necessary. It's on boost at very low revs so is eager to move. Very nifty engine alright.

Torque is 200nm at 2,000rpm which is supposedly decent for a petrol so possibly higher than what you're using now.

Fuel economy isn't terrible either, I get 6.4L/100km in mine and I tend to have a heavy foot. If I went on the motorways it would probably get 6L. One of the lads is getting 6L/100km in a diesel A3, not a bad score for the petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

NIMAN wrote:

My 1.2tsi returns 1l/100km worse than misses 1.6 diesel on average.

That's a ferocious amount of km you have to do to justify the usual higher capital cost of the diesel model vs a petrol. All depends though. Everyone's usage and needs varies. There's no absolute right and wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 sky18

I have a 1.0 for a few months now def not slow its fairly nippy. I would also recommend the r-line exterior gives the styling a lift.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

My car (1.0 tsi dsg, estate) averaged 6.25l/100km (sprit monitor app) over the last 11500km though it’s dropping after every refill due to change in my commute. I drive ab 48km return on the back roads in cork and the trip computer shows daily figures 4.7-5.2l/100km. Over the last 2k km, which included two trips to Dublin, daily commute and city driving, the real consumption was 5.71. Today I did a 300km trip Cork-Clonmel-Limerick-Cork with two passengers and computer showed average consumption of 5.2l/100km. I guess the real figure will be closer to 5.5:)

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭rosmoke

I remember I got 3.7l/100km economic driving on national roads and 5.7l/100km in a busy capital. Was shocked, tested it with full to full and was accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

BuboBubo wrote: »
    Looking to change my old MK5 next year (March) and would like to stick with petrol - but...

1 litre petrol! That's all I can find :(

I drive approx 50 km per day, currently have a 1.6 petrol, and occasionally pull a small single axle trailer. The Golf I have is very capable of doing that imo. Unless 1 litre engines have changed drastically over the past 20 years (thinking back to the 1980s Polo of my youth here!)

I don't want a diesel car tbh, expensive parts etc and a lot of my journeys are less than 10km.

1 litre engines have changed drastically over the past 20 years.
    The new engines are now direct fuel injected and turbo charged.
    TSI engines have gotten smaller but increased the bhp.

2019 golf 1.0 is 109bhp versus 2004 Volkswagen Golf 1.6 102 BHP

2000 Volkswagen Golf 1.8 74 BHP
    https://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=2019219&r=s.php%3Fm%5B%5D%3D93%26o%5B%5D%3D812%26f%3D1%26nn%3D8%26yn%3D1996%26yx%3D2000%26f2%3D1%26g%3D0

2003 Volkswagen Golf 1.4 75 BHP
    https://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=2136372&r=s.php%3Fm%5B%5D%3D93%26o%5B%5D%3D812%26f%3D1%26nn%3D2%26yn%3D2003%26yx%3D2004%26f2%3D1%26g%3D0

2004 Volkswagen Golf 1.6 102 BHP
    https://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=2116634&r=s.php%3Fm%5B%5D%3D93%26o%5B%5D%3D812%26f%3D1%26nn%3D8%26yn%3D2003%26yx%3D2004%26f2%3D1%26g%3D0

2010 Golf CL 1.2 105BHP
    https://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=2040050&r=s.php%3Fm%5B%5D%3D93%26o%5B%5D%3D812%26f%3D1%26nx%3D8%26nn%3D2%26yn%3D2010%26yx%3D2010%26f2%3D1%26g%3D0

This 2018 golf 1.0 is 85 BHP
    https://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=2138812&r=s.php%3Fm%5B%5D%3D93%26o%5B%5D%3D812%26f%3D1%26nx%3D2%26nn%3D2%26yn%3D2018%26yx%3D2019%26g%3D0

this 2019 golf 1.0 is 109bhp
    https://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=2041470&r=s.php%3Fm%5B%5D%3D93%26o%5B%5D%3D812%26f%3D1%26nx%3D2%26nn%3D2%26bhp%3D150%26yn%3D2019%26yx%3D2019%26f2%3D1%26g%3D0

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

If you are looking at the Golf you would do well to consider the new 1.0 Focus. Much better drivers car and even more refined than the Golf, which while still a very good car is a bit long in the tooth at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Maybe the 2019 Focus is nicer but the in laws have a decently spec'd 2017 model and it's an awful yoke compared to our 2016 Golf IMO, in terms of how it feels to drive, spec, fit and finish etc, not a nice car.

Edit: the Focus isn't not a nice car I suppose but the Golf is notably nicer in a good few respects.

Maybe the 2019 Focus is nicer but the in laws have a decently spec'd 2017 model and it's an awful yoke compared to our 2016 Golf IMO, in terms of how it feels to drive, spec, fit and finish etc, not a nice car.

Edit: the Focus isn't not a nice car I suppose but the Golf is notably nicer in a good few respects.

The new one addresses a lot of the old cars failings, looked at one and came away impressed. Some people will always just want a Golf though.

Be very careful with Ford's 1.0 Ecoboost engine. There are problems with these overheating which Ford cannot get to the bottom of. There was a BBC program on the other week around this.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Be very careful with Ford's 1.0 Ecoboost engine. There are problems with these overheating which Ford cannot get to the bottom of. There was a BBC program on the other week around this.

Hard to believe this has not been sorted at this stage. Thousands of those engines rolling off the production line every day. Ford engine warranty is also 7 years

You would think so but the likes of BMW never completely fixed their N47 timing chain issues either until they just superseded the engine with a newer one. ;) And on Ford.ie the base warranty is 2 years with an option for an extended warranty. I'd be cautious about buying one with that engine until it's well documented that the problem has indeed been fixed.

bazz26 wrote: »
    You would think so but the likes of BMW never completely fixed their N47 timing chain issues either until they just superseded the engine with a newer one. ;) And on Ford.ie the base warranty is 2 years with an option for an extended warranty. I'd be cautious about buying one with that engine until it's well documented that the problem has indeed been fixed.

Touché. ;)

But this is a bit more serious, over heating, cars catching fire, that's a problem you have to 100% resolve. My understanding is their warranty is full warranty for 2 years then 5 more on all major components, engine included up to 100k.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    New model Golf getting launched next year

Also the new ID models are coming out......based on information starting price will be 25k

The Neo(not confirmed yet as production name) will be the replacement for the eGolf.....exterior will be smaller than Golf but interior will be same as Passat

If you order next year dont expect delivery till 2020

Really your requirements would suit electric perfect. The hybrid Golf will continue but it is expensive. So electric might be better option. It is probably more expensive to petrol but fuel cost/tax/tolls etc are all reduced

Below image is not confirmed as final model

screen-shot-2018-04-26-at-10-58-23-am.jpg?quality=82&strip=all&w=1600
    I must have missed the part where the op asked for a recommendation for electric car...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

shanec1928 wrote: »
    I must have missed the part where the op asked for a recommendation for electric car...

Maybe read again

BuboBubo wrote: »

Not sure what difference it makes to you? apart from trying to ruin his/her thread:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

OP what spec were you thinking of in the Golf? Are you considering a factory order?

There's a few options people could suggest if you're thinking of any. Either way the tech pack is a must have. On lower spec trims it adds alloys, heated folding mirrors and on the Highline it adds heated seats, reversing camera and high beam assist. Depends on what you need.

Advertisement