Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banning of Trocaire advert

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

So Glad wrote:
    All I'm saying is that this ad is outlining the plight of fellow humans, due to gender discrimination (which exists even in this country so we can take out heads out of the sand). Why should we not say this is happening (or say it is illegal to TALK about them) simply because it is another countries problem.

Shouldn't ads showing kids in other countries starving be banned because it is to do with the countries politics.

Also, why should this be politically orientated? It doesn't say anything about stopping it or prolonging it, so how does this proclaim an agenda? It just states a fact...

A fine example of how much people don't give a ****.
    It's not illegal to talk about the issues in the media. It's illegal to advertise politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

So Glad wrote:
    All I'm saying is that this ad is outlining the plight of fellow humans, due to gender discrimination (which exists even in this country so we can take out heads out of the sand). Why should we not say this is happening (or say it is illegal to TALK about them) simply because it is another countries problem.

Shouldn't ads showing kids in other countries starving be banned because it is to do with the countries politics.

Also, why should this be politically orientated? It doesn't say anything about stopping it or prolonging it, so how does this proclaim an agenda? It just states a fact...

FFS just read the thread instead of going around in circles about what's already been answered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Back to square one due to lazyness. Ok then...
    Thats not the point. The Trocaire campaign is aimed at the British and Irish governments, and is thus political here.
    Also, why should this be politically orientated?
    Because Trocaire made it so.
    It doesn't say anything about stopping it or prolonging it, so how does this proclaim an agenda?
    Go to the Trocaire website and read the text of the petition. The advert is illegal because it is part of the same campaign.
    I agree with the law, and I agree with the campaign. I signed my name to the petition. Does that mean I care less because I agree that it shouldn't be advertised on television when there are other avenues available to them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭So Glad

DadaKopf wrote:
    It's not illegal to talk about the issues in the media. It's illegal to advertise politics.

There were no politics, just a stated fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Ban all fúckin ads tbh.

• Advertisement

You won't even read the posts before yours now?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I hate this "gender inequality" nonsense.Abuses occur to both sexes during wartime,people of both sexes starve during famine and men as well as women suffer from poverty and exploitation.A similar ad was on telly a while back saying "violence against women is a crime.."of course its a crime,but then violence against ANYBODY,irrespective of gender is a crime.

Degsy wrote:
    I hate this "gender inequality" nonsense.Abuses occur to both sexes during wartime,people of both sexes starve during famine and men as well as women suffer from poverty and exploitation.A similar ad was on telly a while back saying "violence against women is a crime.."of course its a crime,but then violence against ANYBODY,irrespective of gender is a crime.
    Uh, duhh, women and girls are affected much more than men and boys, and there's no natural reason for that to be the case.

There are more uneducated, sick, poverty-stricken women and girls in the world than boys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

DadaKopf wrote:
    Uh, duhh, women and girls are affected much more than men and boys, and there's no natural reason for that to be the case.

Are you insane or just stupid that would try and put a measure on human suffering? "Girls suffer more than boys during wartime"......come on!!!!

How the hell do you even TRY and back up a statement like that. Sure, horrible things happen to women and children during wars and conflicts all around the world..... and all this happens while the men are off drinking beer and playing domino's. :rolleyes:

"Girls suffer more than boys during wartime"......come on!!!!
    Who said anything about wartime? There are many cultures around the world where women are regarded and treated as inferior. Thats what this campaign is about.

• Advertisement

Who said anything about wartime?

Degsy, then the poster after him. I understand the conversation started about the ad and all, but when i see a point like that made, no matter how off topic it might be, i will respond to that point.

I missed Degsey's post, but if you had read the rest of DadaKopf's post I would have imagined it was obvious he was speaking generally.
    There are more uneducated, sick, poverty-stricken women and girls in the world than boys.

Who said anything about wartime? There are many cultures around the world where women are regarded and treated as inferior. Thats what this campaign is about.
    From the trocaire website: "sign a petition urging the Irish government to implement UN resolution 1325 that relates to gender inequality and specifically the protection of women in times of conflict."

Ciaran500 wrote:
    From the trocaire website: "sign a petition urging the Irish government to implement UN resolution 1325 that relates to gender inequality and specifically the protection of women in times of conflict."
    My mistake. I thought it was a more general campaign. The advert certainly suggested so.

I missed Degsey's post, but if you had read the rest of DadaKopf's post I would have imagined it was obvious he was speaking generally.

Not really, as he quoted Degsy post i assumed his reply was specifically with regard to that? Especially the first line?

Are you seriously telling me you want to have a discussion about how i replied to a post because you would have done so differently? :rolleyes:

Edit, it would seem i was heading in the right track without even knowing it???? Anyway Mr Walsh, i think we'll leave it there?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I personally thought the ad was absolutely ridiculous and will never support Trocaire again, infact it enraged me when watching and listening to it..

Are they attempting to get people to donate money?

Absolutely absurd and thanks be to god that that drivvle will no longer make it to the air..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I personally thought the ad was absolutely ridiculous and will never support Trocaire again, infact it enraged me when watching and listening to it..

Are they attempting to get people to donate money?

Absolutely absurd and thanks be to god that that drivvle will no longer make it to the air..
    What???

How were you enraged by being told of people being treated as less than human?

humanji wrote:
    What???

How were you enraged by being told of people being treated as less than human?

Maybe it infringes upon his rights a dictator? :D

Jade Goody will sort it all aht nah she's in indiar innit.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Den_M

deswalsh wrote:
    Pedantic maybe, but not ridiculous.

I agree. Shallow and pedantic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Cynical: maybe they knew the ad would be banned and went ahead anyway knowing a controversy would generate more publicity.

simu wrote:
    Cynical: maybe they knew the ad would be banned and went ahead anyway knowing a controversy would generate more publicity.
    That had occured to me too. I can't think how they "didn't know" that it would have been pulled.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Ok first I`ve heard of this and i`ve read through the whole thread!

Couple of points... Seems that the BCI was in the right and the ad should have been banned.

But even taking the political implications aside, I thought the ad was ridiculous anyway. To me it inferred that female babies are the only gender that are discriminated against! I hate one sided gender politics that seek to promote one genders suffering over another's. A baby is a baby, male or female anything bad that happens to baby is horrendous. Why would they even bother to try and bring gender into it?

Perhaps there is a greater degree of prejuidice against the female gender, but that is not to say that millions of male babies aren`t discriminated against as well and grow up in awful conditions.

Trocaire should cop on and stop trying to promote one genders suffering ahead of anothers

woooo232 wrote:
    Ok first I`ve heard of this and i`ve read through the whole thread!

Couple of points... Seems that the BCI was in the right and the ad should have been banned.

But even taking the political implications aside, I thought the ad was ridiculous anyway. To me it inferred that female babies are the only gender that are discriminated against! I hate one sided gender politics that seek to promote one genders suffering over another's. A baby is a baby, male or female anything bad that happens to baby is horrendous. Why would they even bother to try and bring gender into it?

Perhaps there is a greater degree of prejuidice against the female gender, but that is not to say that millions of male babies aren`t discriminated against as well and grow up in awful conditions.

Trocaire should cop on and stop trying to promote one genders suffering ahead of anothers

I agree being PC should have no place in matters of humanatarian importance.What next..only give food to starving female babies?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

As I mentioned earlier if someone feels this strongly about it bring a case against it! An almost identical Swiss provision was held incompatible with the European Charter of Human Rights which has been adopted into Irish law since 2003.

Sangre wrote:
    As I mentioned earlier if someone feels this strongly about it bring a case against it! An almost identical Swiss provision was held incompatible with the European Charter of Human Rights which has been adopted into Irish law since 2003.

Against trocaire?Good idea,bankrupt those do-gooding busybodies!

Degsy wrote:
    I agree being PC should have no place in matters of humanatarian importance.What next..only give food to starving female babies?

That's silly. Women have far lower literacy rates and higher poverty rates worldwide. They're just trying to even things up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

simu wrote:

That's silly. Women have far lower literacy rates and higher poverty rates worldwide. They're just trying to even things up a bit.

Thats not what they are doing imho... They are choosing to completely ignore the plight of male children and concentrating only on bad things that happen to female babies. Its ridiculous. Would the campaign have been any less impactful if it had included all injustice against all children no matter their gender? Playing gender pollitics about poverty and discrimination is just wrong! What about the male baby whose parents don`t come from the same ethnic background as the powers that be in a certain country and are discriminated against. Why are they not included in this campaign? People are discriminated against for numerous reasons and to highlight just one and forget about the rest is not particularly helpful. Its bandwagon jumping at its worst.

Look if you wanna fight discrimination, fair play and do just that. Don`t start bringing in feminism and only concentrating on one facet of discrimination. Personally, this campaign makes me never want to support Trocaire again.

Dragan wrote:
    Are you insane or just stupid that would try and put a measure on human suffering? "Girls suffer more than boys during wartime"......come on!!!!

How the hell do you even TRY and back up a statement like that. Sure, horrible things happen to women and children during wars and conflicts all around the world..... and all this happens while the men are off drinking beer and playing domino's. :rolleyes:
    It's not just about wartime, duhhh. Gender discrimination affects the whole of society. I balk at putting a value on human suffering, too. But when statistics say more women are poor than men, it sort of says something about the power of women in society to stand up to discrimination and exploitation.

Wartime is the extreme, but it's not about wartime.

• Advertisement

woooo232 wrote:
    Thats not what they are doing imho... They are choosing to completely ignore the plight of male children and concentrating only on bad things that happen to female babies. Its ridiculous. Would the campaign have been any less impactful if it had included all injustice against all children no matter their gender? Playing gender pollitics about poverty and discrimination is just wrong! What about the male baby whose parents don`t come from the same ethnic background as the powers that be in a certain country and are discriminated against. Why are they not included in this campaign? People are discriminated against for numerous reasons and to highlight just one and forget about the rest is not particularly helpful. Its bandwagon jumping at its worst.

Look if you wanna fight discrimination, fair play and do just that. Don`t start bringing in feminism and only concentrating on one facet of discrimination. Personally, this campaign makes me never want to support Trocaire again.

Well, if it's any consolation, the male children these baby girls who are helped have when they grow up will be better off too. Are you against campaigns that highlight discrimination against disabled people and no one else or that fight racism and nothing else too?

Advertisement