Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Favourite Places in Germany - Your recommendations, please!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭connewitz

John C wrote: »
    O.g. Post war eine Kurzfassung. Summary

Hallo John!
    Dachte mir schon, dass es nur eine kurze Zusammenfassung war.
    Hast bestimmt jede Menge mehr gesehen.
    Danke fuer deine Zeilen! Ich hab mich riesig gefreut und du hast mir den Schubs gegeben mal wieder nach Deutschland zu fliegen.
    Ich vermisse Leipzig und die Riesenauswahl an Allem!
    Wohne hier in Irland in einem sehr kleinen Ort (Monasterevin) und da gibt es nur ein Chinarestaurant und sonst nur Chippers.:eek:
    Viel Spass noch im Bayernland!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭John C

Erfurt ist die Landeshauptstadt des Freistaats Thüringen.

Diese Woche war ich da; Inter City Express von München nach Saalfeld und Nahverkehrzüge nach Erfurt.

Erfurt ist eine gut behaltene mittelalterliche Stadt.

Was mir gefallen hat: die Altstadt, der Dom, die alte Synagoge und die Krämerbrücke.

Häuser wurden auf beiden Seiten dieser Krämerbrücke gebaut. Statt einer Mauer bzw. eines Geländers, gibt es Häuser.

Erfurt hat eine Straßenbahn. Etwa 200.000 Personen wohnen in Erfurt.

Das Wetter war sonnig und trocken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

My hometown would be Dortmund.

There is of course the Westfalenstadion (I refuse to call it 'Signal Iduna Park'), the biggest football stadium in the country, which is even massive when empty.

Or the nearby Westfalenpark, you can go up that huge tower, the sight from up there is stunning, you can overlook the whole Ruhrgebiet (Ruhr Valley?) when the waether is fine.

Or more for insiders and football enthusiasts: The Borsigplatz in the North Inner City, that's where Borussia Dortmund was founded. Football history at it's best, so to speak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

I feel sorry for any German person whose path I cross with when I move back to Dublin soon, for I will chew their ear off with the multiple stories of numerous places I have visited in the south west area of Baden-Württemberg over the last 2 years.

I can't really list every small village I have been too which impressed me, there's too many. Just the most recent two though: Sulzberg and Hausen im Wiesental - just in the last 2-3 weeks only.

Similarly with a fantastic holiday in Bavaria earlier this year. Takes your breath away.

I plan to continue learning German when I get back to Dublin, and we are leaving the option well clear for the possibility of moving to Germany to live, permanently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Bodensee. Friedrichshafen has the Zepplin museum which is very interesting.

If you do go to Bodensee you should take a trip on one of the boats that goes down the Rhine towards the Rhine Falls (Switzerland), Europe's biggest waterfall. It really impressive and you pass thru loads of little germanic towns.

the_rhine_falls3.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Lars1916 wrote: »
    My hometown would be Dortmund.

There is of course the Westfalenstadion (I refuse to call it 'Signal Iduna Park'), the biggest football stadium in the country, which is even massive when empty.

The Kop (Südtribüne) there is massive - 25,000 standing on the terrace. The setup and prices are also incredible. It was something like €15 for a Bundesliga game including trams from city centre. Beers were good value too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

tricky D wrote: »
    The Kop (Südtribüne) there is massive - 25,000 standing on the terrace. The setup and prices are also incredible. It was something like €15 for a Bundesliga game including trams from city centre. Beers were good value too.

I know, I had a season ticket there between 1986 and 2004...and then I moved to Dublin ;)

Am Montag bin ich nach Lübeck gefahren.
    Die Stadt ist super. Sie hat eine fabelhafte Umgebung.
    Lübeck ist eine alte Hansestadt. Das Autokennzeichen ist HL. Die andere Städte die ich ein "H" für Hanse kenne, sind: HH Hamburg, HB Bremen und HRO Rostock.
    Das Wetter heute ist trocken und 30 Grad hier.

Letzen Samstag bin ich mit der Bahn nach Kaiserslautern im
    Bundesstaat Rheinland-Pfalz gefahren.
    Es hat weniger als 100.000 Einwohner.

Die Innenstadt war schön. Am Samstag abend gab
    es einen Halloween Fest. Dies war nicht im Irischem
    Tradition sondern im Amerikanischem Stil.
    Auf der Bahnlinie S2 von Mannheim nach Kaiserslautern gab
    es eine Haltestelle Frankenstein (Pfalz).

Kaiserslautern hat keinen Zivilflughafen. Der Amerikanische Luftwaffenstützpunkt Ramstein ist 10 km westlich von
    Kaiserslautern. Der Lärm war nicht schlimm.

• Advertisement

It was sunny and dry in Switzerland last week. I drove along Lake Constance to Schaffhausen to see the Rhine Falls.
    The water flow was not as spectacular as shown in an earlier post in this thread. Nonetheless I was glad that I drove there.

Advertisement