Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Places in Germany - Your recommendations, please!

Options
  • 23-12-2009 6:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭

I heartily recommend Rothenburg ob der Tauber. It's like stepping back into the sixteenth century. For anyone interested in history and early modern architecture, this place is a must see.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

Wacken!! :D

Absolutely loved the Olympic Stadiums in Munich and Berlin, two very different yet striking pieces of architecture..

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭BO-JANGLES

My Favourite city would be Berlin . Its really buzzing. I also loved Wasserburg in Bavaria. Wasserburg is one of the most historic towns of Old Bavaria

Bo-jangles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭janullrich

Germany is a beautiful country. I love going around the various parts but howinever Berlin is my favourite part/city. There is so much to do and see - green parts, museums, nice places to eat and drink. It has everything except for a decent football team!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Síle28

I lived in Hamburg for a year and absolutely loved it. it is divided into lots of little areas so doesn't have overwhelming feel of some big cities but still has everything you could ever need and brilliant public transport (U-Bahn) to get around the city so quickly and easily, though this is a more general German thing. Beautiful lake and watching the big boats at the harbour is cool, also not sure if they still have The Lion King musical at the harbour? very cool. and the weekly Fischmarkt at the harbour (live music, stalls selling fast food, fruit, random market stuff from about 6am til lunch) and of course partying on the Reeperbahn. I also lived for a summer in Koeln which is another great city though smaller.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭smartarse2007

berlin is amazin such an open city ya almost feel as if anything ya do there is fine and accept such a coll city with some many different attitudes and lifestyles from east to west from rich to poor etc brilliant city

oh and i second hamburg its a pretty cool place for sure, and partying on the reeperbahn all the way , ya just cant beat the 1euro bar....yep u guessed it everthing for a euro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

I love Freiberg (im Breisgau). Reallty nice city with a great clean, green feel to it. Close to the Alsase too so plently of nice wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Berlin is ok if you must go I guess, maybe I missed something or maybe twice is too much.
    Southern Germany, Black Forest, Bodensee/ Lake Constance (Freidrichshafen, Bregenz, Lindau) are all beautiful, lovely villages, great people.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭greeneyedspirit

I second the Bodensee region (not biased or anything, I only grew up there :D), it really is beautiful.
    Also, I love Heidelberg, a beautiful city.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Frisian

Being absolutely biased ;) I have to say Ostfriesland. Friesian cows in the fields, thatched farmhouses, colourful fishing boats on the sea, lovely wee harbours, green meadows and friendly people. Very similar to Ireland minus the hills, and much better weather.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭smartarse2007

Frisian wrote: »
    Being absolutely biased ;)

nah not really i think it has to do with age really

cause for me (20) berlin is the best city germany can offer for sure because:

-some of the best clubs in europe
    -crazy bars
    -great night life
    -extremly cheap for irish and even some waht german standards
    -huge sprawling city with lots of crzy stuff to see like the squats that would be hard to find in other european cities.........especially dublin

now for those reasons for the age im at i would have to say berlin isnt a biased choice at all

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭maniac101

I'd go along with Freiberg im Breisgau and the surrounding area. At the other end of the country the island of Ruegen and the rural parts of Mecklenburg Vorpommern are well worth checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,557 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Furet wrote: »
    I heartily recommend Rothenburg ob der Tauber. It's like stepping back into the sixteenth century. For anyone interested in history and early modern architecture, this place is a must see.
    • Gräfrath Market place in Solingen
    • Wuppertal
    • Düsseldorf
    • Köln

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭jeoun

I second the Bodensee region (not biased or anything, I only grew up there :D), it really is beautiful.
    Also, I love Heidelberg, a beautiful city.

I would agree 100% with you about Heidelberg. Was there between xmas and new year and had a great time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Thucydides

I'm familiar with a lot of the places mentioned above. Rothenburg ob der Tauber is definitely worth a visit.

Though I'm surprised no one mentioned the Kehlsteinhaus in Berchtesgarten, or, as it's commonly called, the Eagle's Nest.

It was originally a teahouse given to Hitler on his 50th Birthday by the Nazi Party. It was mentioned in episode 10 of Band of Brothers if any of you can recall.

Fantastic views, particular on a cloud free day. Though the journey up in the bus is nervewracking to say the least! Great fun getting the elevator up to the top.

Have a look...

http://www.kehlsteinhaus.com/gallery.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

Hamburg! I love love love it.

Koeln for fashing is AMazing too.!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jerrinemitchell

Because of the beautiful landscapes many families, they enjoy there holidays on the sandy beaches rolling hills, and the Alps. Germany is not only considered as a top winter sports destination but it is also a well-loved holiday destination for families.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

Berlin.

The last time I went we were there we did "historical" Berlin and stayed in the Mitte district. We checked out Stalinstraße (can't remember what it was renamed as - Karl-Marx-Straße?) and its Zuckerbäckerstil architecture, Normannenstraße (former Stasi HQ), Checkpoint Charlie, the DRR Museum (at the time they were removing the foundations of (Erichs Lampenladen) the Palace of the Republic :(, Unter den Linden, etc... actually apart from Charlie and standing in front of the Reichstag, we didn't set foot into the western part of Berlin! :D

But we're going back in August and this time it's for nighttime Berlin. Can't wait!

Berlin is absolutely mental, but in a good way! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Under A Funeral Moon

jeoun wrote: »
    I would agree 100% with you about Heidelberg. Was there between xmas and new year and had a great time

Another vote for Heidelberg here. It's beautiful. Loreley is also amazing. It's in the Rhine Valley, near St. Goarshausen. It's one of the most spectacular places I have ever been.

I love Berlin, Stuttgart and Frankfurt too.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭John C

Large city: Munich
    Medium size city: Heidelberg
    Town to visit: 86956 Schongau. It is on the River Lech south of Augsburg. Its area has many chuches and chapels.
    Historical town: Rothenburg ob der Tauber.
    Location on a sunny summer afternoon: 82329 Starnberg am See [Lake], south of Munich off the A95 Autobahn, S6>Tutzing
    Get away from it all: [The foothills of the] Alps.
    Castle: Neuschwanstein near 87629 Füssen.
    Church: Wieskirche bei 86989 Steingaden. This is a pilgrimage church in the Rococo style.
    River: Vater Rhein

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

LOVE Heidelberg and Bodensee.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭greeneyedspirit

EGAR wrote: »
    LOVE Heidelberg and Bodensee.

YESSSS!! (Am Bodensee aufgewachsen, in HD studiert... *seufz* schööön...) ... und jetzt Galway, auch net schlecht :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 shoeaddict27

munich is a beautiful city. there is lots to see in and around the town centre and there is a proud culture and heritage

i used to love sitting out in the english gardens in the good weather or having a bbq on the banks of the isar.

the viktualienmarkt is great to explore on a saturday and you can get some great speciality food and true bavarian cuisine

from there it is also easy to do daytrips to salzburg, neuschwanstein, rosenheim, dachau ....

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭connewitz

Dresden with the famous "Zwinger". Leipzig as the birth place of the German rebellion and cause of the fall of the Berlin Wall.Berlin of course! Quedlinburg is a walk through medieval times. Hiking in the "Saechsische Schweiz" (near Dresden). Lake walking in Mecklenburg. Beautiful beaches at Usedom or the Isle of Hiddensee and so on.........!!! Germany is beautiful and worth a trip! It is never boring. Good night life as well!
    I was born in Germany and lived there for 44 years before moving to Ireland. (The things we do for love!) Try to find out what you love most and then plan your trip! There is so much to see - you will find what you are looking for and leave with beautiful memories!!!!:)

Lake walking in Mecklenburg. Beautiful beaches at Usedom or the Isle of Hiddensee and so on.........!!!
    I second that!

Are you by any chance from around Mecklenburg or Ruegen/Usedom/Hiddensee?
    As a student I was working at the Isle of Hiddensee at the hotel of the Greifswald University.This was in my semester breaks. Sooo beautiful and I will have always a fond memory of it. Usedom was the favorite of my children and it was very hard to get a holiday there in the former GDR! We had to wait for 5 years and never got another one. After the wall came down this was the first place for our holidays! Not Spain or Portugal - nope - it was Usedom, because now we could go when ever we wanted to. (Greece, Spain and Zyprus came later of course.):o There are so many beautiful places all over Germany it would take a lifetime to explore them all.

Are you by any chance from around Mecklenburg or Ruegen/Usedom/Hiddensee?
    No, I'm not. I hail, as my name indicates from the green fields of Friesland, land of moors and black'n white cows am Nordseestrand.
    Just came to know Meckpomm after the Wende on holidays, even planned to get settled there, but didn't work out.
    But a lovely part of the country.

But was not so sure if the name is only coincidence. What brings you to the Emerald Isle?
    When I talk with irish or english people, all what they know about Germany is Munich and the "Bierfest". It is soooo frustrating!:mad: My stepdaughter ask me only 2 weeks ago how many people live in Germany. As I told her that will be about 80 millions - she could not get her head around it! We Germans must spread the news about our beautiful Country.
    I myself was never in Friesland. Shame, really. But with the iron curtain......?! I do know Mecklenburg-Vorpommern very well. As a student I spent a lot of time around there. I think I would not recognize it now. There must be huge changes.
    Now more about places in Germany.
    Other places to see are:Spreewald (near Berlin) with it waterways, the Harz (once like a boarder between East - and West-Germany) with long and beautiful hiking places, the romantic Wernigerode Castle and the colourful town of Wernigerode, the Brocken (1142m high) is the highest mountain there, Thueringen is an open land with lots of little lakes and rivers. Good for hiking (The Rennsteig) and there are many castles. The Wartburg by Eisenach is the most famous one. You can go up to the castle riding a donkey!!! Okay - I could go on and on. And this is only a part of the former East-Germany. There is a lot more to see in the rest of Germany. So if you are planing a holiday in Germany go and see for yourself!!!:D Just make a plan if you want to go city hopping, hiking, sight-seeing or just want to relax. And I am sure, a lot of people on this thread have more to recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭jb-ski

connewitz wrote: »
    When I talk with irish or english people, all what they know about Germany is Munich and the "Bierfest".

We Germans must spread the news about our beautiful Country.

great post, connewitz.

you should get a job with the German tourist board!

there is just so much to do and see though, it is always going to be the obvious stuff first- Munich, Berlin, Christkindl markets, Neuschwanstein etc.

maybe it's not promoted enough in the English speaking world, you want to keep all those lovely places for yourselves:)

i would love to spend 3 months just travelling around exploring and learning more about Germany.

(i travel to Munich about 4 times a year, so know Munich, Oberbayern, Allgau area reasonably well. i revisited Kochelsee and Walchensee in June for the first since about 1994. what a beautiful area!)

• Advertisement

jb-ski wrote: »
    you should get a job with the German tourist board!

maybe it's not promoted enough in the English speaking world, you want to keep all those lovely places for yourselves:)

I was working as a travel agent in Germany, so this is where my passion for my own country comes from! I am not sure about the promotion here in Ireland. Could have a lot to do with the irish weather and people running away from it when they have holidays! And the obvious places to go are Spain, Cyprus, Portugal and so on. It should be more known that Germany has very warm summers (like now with the heat wave of 40 deg.Celsius) and really nice beaches and lakes. (Don`t get me wrong +40 Degrees is not the norm.)
    But if the people could see the beaches, lakes and landscapes in Germany on TV maybe this would convince people to go. We really don`t want to keep Germany a secret!;) I would like to help people on this thread to find there dream destination in Germany. Nothing sweeter than holding a torch for your own country!:D

Advertisement