Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sryanonese: A brand new language

Options
14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,523 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

See how many phrases "Líon" - the present tense of "A" - the indefinite article comes up in compared to the other tensed indefinite articles of "Puí" (past tense) and "Chóy" (future tense)

Remember a general syntax for simple sentences such as "That's a great song" above ^?

Pronoun / conjunction + verb + noun (song in that sentence) + article (líon in that sentence ("A"!) + adjective (great in that sentence ("granpo"!)

^ Make sure you know this or you can't even form the simplest sentences in Sryanonese.

Erqui ton rild - Around the world
    Toogias iet ei - Do it again
    Feinoirtimis norf uai - Focus on me
    Uai deos kín líon tabash gut gontuí - I was a king under your control
    Uail maug dest plakill phai - My heart is in you
    Phaint maug dest plakill uai - Your heart is in me
    Liélei cheartis tiammían líon agomi - Let's make a new tomorrow
    Uail maug tian shilíon norf - My heart will go on
    Uai s'eoaril mámí slío tia timirtstuorn mogafia - I want a mom that will last forever

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Replitz - Easter
    Níllím - Christmas
    Jakole - Halloween
    Dion loi - New year
    Dione loi bes - New Year's Day
    Dione loi ead - New Year's Eve
    Níllím bes - Christmas Day
    Níllím ead - Christmas Eve
    Máirtín tíol iúool bes - Martin Luther King Jr. Day
    Sole iad bes - All Saint's Day
    Souole iad bes - All Soul's Day
    Maine bes - May Day
    Pirendae bes bancue - Bank holiday
    Luire replitz - Easter Monday
    Druire replitz - Easter Sunday
    Auire goode - Good Friday
    Duire hiel - Holy Thursday
    Muire piancial - Pancake Tuesday
    Sol Pádríonn bes - St. Patrick's Day
    Mardian - Mardi Gras
    Chuire áiseal - Ash Wednesday
    Sol Bridíonn bes - St. Bridget's Day
    Cinco moa - Cinco de Mayo
    Eléctió bes - Election Day
    Druire ríomneamíonn - Remembrance Sunday
    Víotain bes - Veteran's Day
    Arbair bes - Arbor Day
    Mímlín bes - Mother's Day
    Pínlín bes - Father's Day
    Druire mímlíneann - Mothering Sunday
    Independáe bes / Júl de puyter - Independence Day / Fourth of July
    Sol Stephóíonn bes / Bígín bes - St. Stephen's Day / Boxing Day

I just love this mis-mash of holidays :) Keep up the good work OP. I'm actually studying another conlang in Esperanto which thankfully is a lot easier :D But fair play to you its cool watching a complex (intentionally) language being built from the ground up.

Out of curiosity do you often have to look up vocab that you have forgotten and if so do you store it in the old pen and paper method or searchable tables in excel or something?

Oh and also fair play for knowing all these tenses and terminology!

ShooterSF wrote: »
    I just love this mis-mash of holidays :) Keep up the good work OP. I'm actually studying another conlang in Esperanto which thankfully is a lot easier :D But fair play to you its cool watching a complex (intentionally) language being built from the ground up.

Out of curiosity do you often have to look up vocab that you have forgotten and if so do you store it in the old pen and paper method or searchable tables in excel or something?

Oh and also fair play for knowing all these tenses and terminology!

I have to often look up vocabulary but for me grammar points, I know the language so well. However, it doesn't not always go grand - even for the maker :pac:.

There are plenty of mistakes I keep making that I don't notice until sooner or later. Then I correct them and this is because of the grammar not being accurate and is very easy to make a mistake.

Thanks, yes I do know my tenses very well. Sometimes when I forget, I look up in a document with all my endings and rules about the tenses when conjugating a verb. However, most of the time I know them. The future tense is very easy to form once you know the verb Tias very well in the present tense. Like I said:

The formation of the Future Tense (Nontíot Luíc) (this is used rather informally)

Pronoun + present tense of Tias + infinitive of verb

Uai tia shilíon - I will go
    Rei tian éloin - He will be
    Treie tiane arrangíon - They (feminine) will arrange

The Perfect Future Tense (recap) (Luíc Prileft) (this is used formally)

Pronoun + coíp + infinitive of verb

Coíp literally means = Will

Uai coíp poutis - I will ask

^ See how some of the things in Sryanonese aren't that complicated.

The things that could confuse most people would be the difference between the Perfect Tenses and the Informal Tenses as well as Modal Verbs (which are exceptionally complicated to form, particularly "Must")

Since you're new here, I will tell you when you use the Perfect Tenses compared to the Informal Tenses which you see most often on this compared to the others.

Informal Tenses (Nontíot Luím, Luíp, Luíc) are used when talking informally like "I am gonna", "What's the crack?" etc.

Perfect Tenses (Luím, Luíp, Luíc Prileft) are used when talking formally like "Good day" or used in functional writing like formal letters (Letter of complaint, application etc) and speeches etc.

The point of Perfect Tenses is so that you don't need to know any rules such as using correct phrases or words like "Dear sir / madam" - although you can use these if you want to. For example, the slang "Gonna" cannot be translated into the Perfect Tenses as it is an informal word (thus, slang).

So Sryanonese is not all easy for the maker either as he needs to remember all grammar points for forming sentences and phrases like the ones he gives on this (Better to have loved than to have never loved at all etc).

Yes, it was very hard researching all these grammar terminology. Now because of that, I know nearly every single one there is - I say this because I know there are still a few more I have to cover but I can't find them.

Contractions - I'm, You're etc
    Modal verbs - Must, Might etc
    Verbal nouns - Singing, Doing etc
    Verbal adjectives - Breakable, Stressful etc
    Adverbs - Quickly, Badly etc
    The copula - Is ("Dest" in Sryanonese)

^ See all these terms I had to learn just for making a language?

If you ever want something translated, it would actually help considering then there's more sentences / words / phrases translated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Wow. If you ever decide to learn other languages I bet knowing what goes into the construction will really help.

If I can make a suggestion for sentences, why not pick up a cheap travel dictionary for another country they're usually full of sentences people need to ask fluent speakers! And just translate them into yours?

Remember this proverb always for the modal verb "Must"

Modal niem dest líe fia íacain dest líe - You "must" form "must" by idiomatic forms

^ See how this proverb cannot be translated at all and that it is as complicated as Irish proverbs such as "Is maith an scéalaí an aimsir" (Only time will tell)?

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Wow. If you ever decide to learn other languages I bet knowing what goes into the construction will really help.

If I can make a suggestion for sentences, why not pick up a cheap travel dictionary for another country they're usually full of sentences people need to ask fluent speakers! And just translate them into yours?

And believe me... once you put a little effort into Sryanonese, it actually becomes a lot easier. Like come on it's not as hard as Arabic or Chinese to learn?

Rei tian ahna louvien phai míon uai cain - He'll never love you like I can
    Phai baespoutan rein nimtem iet? - Did you not ask him to take it?
    Ton nale muail daubqui - The other way round
    Rei baesdest retocó líon - It's not an option

You have already learnt some names in Sryanonese and these are some of the irregular names which you need to learn off whilst most names are formed by simple changes to the English name or other language name (other languages' names are translated also).

Names you know already:

Seán - Shált
    David - Dái
    Stephen - Stephóíonn
    Bridget - Bridíonn
    Patrick - Pádríonn

Other irregular names include:

Kate - Káit
    Katrina - Kaitríol
    Jonas - Jósa
    Burnett - Búneth
    Luke - Lóik
    Gerard - Georn
    Carl - Chiearl
    Ben - Bóin

Formation of most names depends on the first vowel:

If the first vowel is an A, I or U, it DOES NOT take a sound emphasiser.
    If the first vowel is an E or O, it DOES take a sound emphasiser.

If the first vowel is an A, I or U, it takes the ending "ínin" (just like the verb-noun formation).
    If the first vowel is an E or O, it DOES NOT take the ending "ínin".

Katie - first vowel: A so it becomes, Katieínin
    Christian - first vowel: I so it becomes, Christianínin
    Lisa - first vowel: I so it becomes, Lisaínin
    Joseph - first vowel: O so it becomes, Jóséph

• Advertisement

The passive tense is when we say:

The past tense of the verb To be with another verb that can be used in any of the other tenses. These are examples of the passive tense in English:

We were told
    I was going

In Sryanonese, these are very simple to form. All you have to do is:

Pronoun + past tense of Éloin (To be) + a conjugation form of the verb

Uai deos shilín - I was going

^ It's as easy as that!

Notice in the Sryanonese translation for passive: Luímpissío - Luím is used? Remember Luím = Past - so there's a bit of a clue.

I'm going to go over Pronominal Adjectives next. These include the word "Every" which is very tricky to translate in Sryanonese. As you already learnt, see the big difference:

Ouil Auire - Every Friday
    Bes díoin - Everyday
    Ouil Muire - Every Tuesday
    Mogotrevís - Everybody

Sorry that I haven't been doing much on my language. It's because I have been very busy with stuff such as my mock exams.

Correction I mean Distributive Adjectives. The Pronominal Adjectives consist of all the adjectives that are used like pronouns (inc. Demonstrative and Interrogative pronouns which I already did).

Here's a revision of the adjective 'Every' - remember it cannot be translated literally (much like "That" in Irish)

Everything - hiesses
    Every(a day of the week) - ouil ____
    Every month - míonta díoin
    Every (a month of the year) - ____ díoin
    Everyday - bes díoin
    Everybody - mogotrevís
    Every(an object like every horse) - ___ (object) hies

So again, more examples:

Every Thursday - ouil Duire
    Every June - Jaine díoin
    Every noun - ínin hies
    Every person - píotí hies

Other distributive adjectives are REGULAR though unlike 'Every'.

Each - chael
    Either - sleith
    Neither - sleithaes

Each person - chael píotí
    Either person - sleith píotí
    Neither person - sleithaes píotí

^ Simple!

You have already learned how to form "Gonna" in Sryanonese in which you treat the irregular verb Shilíon (To go) as a regular verb instead.

"Gotta" is much the same formation (of a different verb of course) but it might be a different type of verb (irregular, regular, abnormal or modal).

Allegíon is the verb To get in Sryanonese and is an abnormal verb. To simply form "Gotta" you treat Allegíon as a regular verb instead.

Full conjugation:

Uai allegtil - I gotta
    Phai allegtim - You gotta
    Rei allegtil - He's gotta
    Trei allegtil - She's gotta
    Lei allegatomi - We gotta
    Luie allegatomu - You (plural) gotta
    Reie allegatol - They (masculine) gotta
    Treie allegatol - They (feminine) gotta

Uai allegí - I get
    Uai allegtil - I gotta

^ See the difference

I guess Sryanonese learners here can have an early Summer holidays, LOL :):D

Semester of learning Sryanonese begins again in September. (See how I treat this thread like a school :pac: except longer holidays)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 tokima

Your language seems horrendously complicated; is it still a going thing?

tokima wrote: »
    Your language seems horrendously complicated; is it still a going thing?

No it's not, I lost interest since the last post in 2016. Have a lot more things to worry about these days anyway than creating my own conlang.

And indeed, it was incredibly complex. Reading the conlang a few years later, I myself struggle to understand what I set out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭deirdremf

An interesting concept - I wonder what got you started?

I have a vague memory of starting something similar many many years ago, but it never got very far!

• Advertisement
Advertisement