Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Changing broadband providers

• 05-12-2018 12:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

My Eir contract is up this month and I’ve given them the required 30 days notice.

I’ve been looking around at the current deals and decided to go with Vodafone.

I ordered online on Monday and gave them all the details from my current Eir service. Having not heard anything since ordering I got on to chat and was informed my order was cancelled because my services with Eir are active.

Is it true I have to wait for the Eir line to become inactive? That would mean I’d be without broadband until whenever Vodafone send out their equipment and engineer.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Boom2018

Can anyone advise if this is normal when changing broadband provider? Do I need to wait for my Eir line to become inactive before joining another provider? I canny get an answer off Vodafone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Boom2018 wrote: »
    Can anyone advise if this is normal when changing broadband provider? Do I need to wait for my Eir line to become inactive before joining another provider? I canny get an answer off Vodafone

If you supplied them with your UAN, there should be no issue at all for them to change you over without downtime.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    If you supplied them with your UAN, there should be no issue at all for them to change you over without downtime.

/M

Thanks for the reply. That’s what I thought and I supplied them with the UAN when placing the order.

I got on to chat and they said because it’s a PSTN line and not VoIP I can’t join while I have an active service.

I’m nearly sure it’s a VoIP line I have as the phone goes through the router.

Thanks for the reply. That’s what I thought and I supplied them with the UAN when placing the order.

I got on to chat and they said because it’s a PSTN line and not VoIP I can’t join while I have an active service.

I’m nearly sure it’s a VoIP line I have as the phone goes through the router.

With bundles there may be other issues. Every provider handles that different.

/M

With bundles there may be other issues. Every provider handles that different.

/M

Sorry Marlow what do you mean there may be other issues with bundles? I wasn’t looking to get a bundle just broadband.

I currently have phone and broadband with Eir but was just taking broadband with Vodafone.

• Advertisement

Sorry Marlow what do you mean there may be other issues with bundles? I wasn’t looking to get a bundle just broadband.

I currently have phone and broadband with Eir but was just taking broadband with Vodafone.

Well ... in that case, they're just incompetent. There's absolutely no problem migrating broadband across ceasing the phone portion in the process.

It doesn't matter if it's copper or VoIP.

/M

Well ... in that case, they're just incompetent. There's absolutely no problem migrating broadband across ceasing the phone portion in the process.

It doesn't matter if it's copper or VoIP.

/M

Thanks for the confirmation. Think I’ll give them a miss so and go with someone else.

The chat reps I’ve dealt with have been really unhelpful just saying the order was cancelled and offering no resolution.

They never even bothered to email me to tell me the order was cancelled. I only found out because I got on to chat to see what I would receive the router.

Thanks again

This thread has a list of providers, who will do FTTH: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057927096

If it's FTTC/VDSL, then any of these will be able to service you: https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Thanks for the confirmation. Think I’ll give them a miss so and go with someone else.

The chat reps I’ve dealt with have been really unhelpful just saying the order was cancelled and offering no resolution.

They never even bothered to email me to tell me the order was cancelled. I only found out because I got on to chat to see what I would receive the router.

Thanks again

Try Pure Telecom...

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭talkingpj

My broadband will go from 60 a month to 90 next month. 12 month contract ends. Can i cancel and open a new account. Does this cost money and whats the inconvience am i likely to be off line. Pay for new equipment etc. Anyone got any advice on same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

We were the same, CAlled eir, spent ages on hold and requested a call back. Finally got through, they wouldn't budge on price, so we moved to Vodafone, Eir rang (the call back, 4 days later) with a lovely new deal for €35 a month for 12 months.

If things ended there we would have been very happy.

Unfortunately, something went wrong when porting back to eir, we had have had no phone line for 40 days and we have lost the phone number we had for 19 years for a business run from home.

So now we are trying to move back to vodafone.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    We were the same, CAlled eir, spent ages on hold and requested a call back. Finally got through, they wouldn't budge on price, so we moved to Vodafone, Eir rang (the call back, 4 days later) with a lovely new deal for €35 a month for 12 months.

Unfortunately, something went wrong when porting back to eir, we had have had no phone line for 40 days and we have lost the phone number we had for 19 years for a business run from home.

Here is the thing: your phone number still can be recovered, if you speak to a competent provider and have a bill no older than 3 months to prove it was your phone number.

Providers like Airwire or Westnet can do this. Large providers like Vodafone and Eir do not have the structures nor competence in place to accomodate this. It is generally too much hassle for them.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭talkingpj

wmpdd3 wrote: »

They make this so difficult on purpose. Sorry to hear you were treated so poorly.

Advertisement