Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long after having a second pint would it take you to recover

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Is the medication to treat alcoholics?

Sounds pretty dangerous.

I often thought that 1% beer would be better for alcoholics. You would need to drink 5 pints of it to get the effects of one regular pint. So 15 pints would just be the equivalent of a 6pack. You'd be full to overflowing on the low-grade beer and wouldn't want anymore but you've very little alcohol in the system....but maybe enough to satisfy the cravings rather than codding yourself with zero-alcohol beer.

This is a misunderstanding of what alcoholism is and how it works. A clean break from it is much more likely to work out, in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Sounds pretty dangerous.

I often thought that 1% beer would be better for alcoholics. You would need to drink 5 pints of it to get the effects of one regular pint. So 15 pints would just be the equivalent of a 6pack. You'd be full to overflowing on the low-grade beer and wouldn't want anymore but you've very little alcohol in the system....but maybe enough to satisfy the cravings rather than codding yourself with zero-alcohol beer.

Nah I've seen too many friends in recovery relapse after having the 1% beer. Just awakens the monster inside looking for more!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

KiKi III wrote: »
    This is a misunderstanding of what alcoholism is and how it works. A clean break from it is much more likely to work out, in my experience.

Point taken.

I suppose an "unhealthy" relationship with alcohol is something I can understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Queasy Tadpole

Process two pints of 4.2% larger, at 6ft and a bit chbby? Around 4 hours.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

Sounds pretty dangerous.

you are somewhat correct. as a borderline alcoholic, tapering is a thing. its also prescribed in a sense by doctors. low alcohol drinks are relatively new, at least ones that are actually appealing. non alcoholic gin, ipa's etc, so i don't think that your theory can be dismissed out of hand at all.

obviously becoming a dry drunk, romancing the drink and other things that feed the beast within are also real things and the main thing that needs to be addressed is addiction and unhappiness.

Personally a low cost, low alcohol beer would do me wonders

• Advertisement

I don't know, but I once introduced a friend to my favourite pub, he asked for a 'glass' of Guinness. It's taken me about six years to recover from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

elperello wrote: »
    Best not to play Russian Roulette if you were thinking of driving.

Many variables ie. state of health, metabolism etc.

If you are driving don't drink any beer.
    jester77 wrote: »
    Recover from what?

If you are referring to driving, then just don't have any. Or get a bus/train/taxi home.

Unless you are a teetotaler, or don't drive, everyone drinks and drives.

Saying don't drink and drive without specifying a time limit is nonsense but is a much loved line. "It's very simple, don't drink and drive!"

So, if I drink on Monday, can I drive on Friday?
    If I drink on Monday, can I drive on Tuesday?
    If I drink on Monday morning can I drive on Monday night?
    What does "don't drink and drive" actually mean?

We have limits. Let them do the judgment rather than vague, blanket rules that sound specific but, actually, aren't.

Whenever I make this argument the response is usually along the line of, "just don't drink and drive."

I've been breathalysed three times on the way to work over the last few years.
    I read zero each time, although I had been drinking the night before in each case.
    Many people would consider this as risky behaviour despite no alcohol reading in my system.

Advertisement