Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

People who tell you how honest they are

• 11-11-2020 2:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭

"You know me, I'm a straight shooter"

I have a colleague in work who consistently stirs the excrement at every opportunity and always prefaces it with something along the lines of; "I don't do drama, as you know" :rolleyes:

Do you know anyone like this who doth protest too much? Do these people realise how transparent they are?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,153 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

"I tell it like it is" = "I'm a total arsehole"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

The worst are people who say "I swear on my mothers, childs, etc life". Used soley by lying sociopaths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Allinall

The worst are people who say "I swear on my mothers, childs, etc life". Used soley by lying sociopaths.

or orphans with no kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

I say what I like and I really like what I say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

There’s usually a but in that sentence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

A lot of posts have TBH in them, which I find strange. Why do they need to state they are being honest? Worse again is TBF which is usually followed by some biased statement.

A lot of posts have TBH in them, which I find strange. Why do they need to state they are being honest?

One usage would be to emphasise you're not joking. Like the opposite of adding LOL!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

No offence but ...... i'm just about to say something extremely offensive about you as a person.

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

No offence but ...... i'm just about to say something extremely offensive about you as a person.

:confused:

"No disrespect but you're a total geebag"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Anything that anybody tells you about themselves is typically a lie.

No one who is actually "kind, honest, caring, brave, outspoken, etc, etc" actually has to bother to say that to people.

Anyone who tells people these things is to be avoided.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Well Minister, if you ask me for a straight answer, then I shall say that, as far as we can see, looking at it by and large, taking one thing with another in terms of the average of departments, then in the final analysis it is probably true to say, that at the end of the day, in general terms, you would probably find that, not to put too fine a point on it, there probably wasn't very much in it one way or the other. As far as one can see, at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,153 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'm not racist......

this basically holds true for people who tell you anything at all about the type of person they are, tbh

I'm not racist......

Neither am I. If the other bugger wants to run off ahead let them off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,096 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

My mother always says "You're not going to believe this" whenever she has some totally unbelievable story to tell. At this stage its just flags the start of a story that no one would ever believe.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

My door is always open.

Trust me, I will let you know if I am not happy with you.

This is a two way street.

I don't suffer fools.

I swear on my mothers grave.

Look at me, why would I lie to you?

No one else knows this, so what I am going to tell you must be kept between you and me , ok?

I had raisins with my porridge this morning, I like to get off to a good start.

I have only ever slept with a handful of men, I am not a slut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭zanador

IAMAMORON wrote: »

I have only ever slept with a handful of men, I am not a slut.

It's ok, babes, we wouldn't judge you if it were more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

People who spout the old "if I have a problem with someone I say it to their face".

No you don't really. Maybe very very occasionally when called for but no more than anyone else. When someone says this its mostly posturing / trying to sound tough. If you said exactly what you think of everyone you encounter to their face you'd end up a very lonely person. Or possibly dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

A lot of school of hard knocks and university of life sorts tend to think of themselves as plain speakers. Jackeens are notorious for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

"You can trust me, my brother's a priest."
    My first instincts were correct - this individual did not turn out to be trustworthy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Spacific

"I don't care what people think"

Insults everyone and gets upset and can't figure out why nobody likes them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's just a saying of course but it's a bit strange.
    "If I'm honest then..." implies they're usually not honest but we all know they probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

I don't like people. I have no real interest in making other people happy or sad.

I'm not a sociopath or a psycho but I have no interest in cushioning other people from the truth.

If I don't like someone then they'll be told straight to their face. I'd be so much happier if other did the same to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,096 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

"Basically what I mean is" I haven't a clue how to explain anything.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

What I find more puzzling is that people expect others not to lie to them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

Jequ0n wrote: »
    What I find more puzzling is that people expect others not to lie to them

We don't. That's the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

We don't. That's the issue.

You’d be surprised how many people want to believe in the decency of mankind though. Sitting ducks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

GreeBo wrote: »
    A comment I like is "everyone is a hero in their own story".
    "Their own story" is heavily edited.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

A lot of posts have TBH in them, which I find strange. Why do they need to state they are being honest? Worse again is TBF which is usually followed by some biased statement.

"With all due respect..." followed by a deranged rant showing no respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 SilentBee

lol I used to work with a lad like this. All his sentences started with a "believe you me mate" followed by the most ridiculous **** you can think of. good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Just a turn of phrase TBF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

"With all due respect..." followed by a deranged rant showing no respect.

Beat me to it...."With respect...." followed by exactly what you say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

True - there's a lot of in-built redundancy in everyday language. Speech or text can look quite stark without it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Is there anything to be said for "at the end of the day"?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

gozunda wrote: »
    True - there's a lot of in-built redundancy in everyday language. Speech or text can look quite stark without it

Sure this is it. You know yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

"You can trust me, my brother's a priest."
    My first instincts were correct - this individual did not turn out to be trustworthy.

Better still " You can trust me, my father was a priest" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,638 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Loads of straight shooters here on boards, according to themselves anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

** wrong thread

I don't like people. I have no real interest in making other people happy or sad.

I'm not a sociopath or a psycho but I have no interest in cushioning other people from the truth.

If I don't like someone then they'll be told straight to their face. I'd be so much happier if other did the same to me.

I have a different opinion to yourself when it comes to other people. I do like them and care about my impact on them. But I like the realness of your post. Authenticity with who we are is far far greater than platitudes and faux empathy.

Boards can be a really kind and supportive place at times. I've read posts from people going through a tough time and thought how lovely it was to see encouraging responses. I've done so myself. Yet I just wonder. It can feel like a bandwagon. One person offers sympathy, then everyone else does because they will feel rubbish to be the only person not.

I know people care of course and am aware how cynical my post must seem. It's just all the "thoughts and prayers* stuff makes me question the authenticity and the intent.

In saying all of that I haven't a clue what another's internal self is and shouldn't speculate on the intent of their message. After all I have reached out on here and done so from a place of giving a fùck about that person so why should others be different?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

I'm a straight shooter roughly translates to I've the emotional intelligence of a two year old, lack empathy, am blunt and aggressive, cannot compromise, think I'm always right and my opinion is the only one worth listening to, am arrogant and ignorant in equal measures and am an all round twat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭KaneToad

GreeBo wrote: »

No one who is actually "kind, honest, caring, brave, outspoken, etc, etc" actually has to bother to say that to people.

Anyone who tells people these things is to be avoided.

This is Facebook, in a nutshell.
    "Look at me, how I want you to see me..."

I'm a straight shooter roughly translates to I've the emotional intelligence of a two year old, lack empathy, am blunt and aggressive, cannot compromise, think I'm always right and my opinion is the only one worth listening to, am arrogant and ignorant in equal measures and am an all round twat.

"You don't want to cross me"

*rolls eyes*

It's a turn of phrase of sorts, but it is telling the reader that there is no other opinion allowed except the one which is claimed to be fair. When it is accompanied by a statement which is unfair e.g. "TBF all Yanks are thick" it is not the proper turn of phrase.

Something like IMO (but certainly not TBH) would be better, and I do agree that without some of these turns of phrase text can look stark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

It's a turn of phrase of sorts, but it is telling the reader that there is no other opinion allowed except the one which is claimed to be fair. When it is accompanied by a statement which is unfair e.g. "TBF all Yanks are thick" it is not the proper turn of phrase.

Something like IMO (but certainly not TBH) would be better, and I do agree that without some of these turns of phrase text can look stark.

Well an obvious remedy to this - is to respond with the same use of language to make it an equitable playing field.

So simply start any relevant response using whatever phrase you belive they are using for one upmanship..or gloss over the comment. Whichever is suitable.

That said the normal usage of "tbh" or "tbf' is not literal in my experience

Well an obvious remedy to this - is to respond with the same use of language to make it an equitable playing field.

So simply start any relevant response using whatever phrase you belive they are using for one upmanship..or gloss over the comment. Whichever is suitable.

That said the normal usage of "tbh" or "tbf' is not literal in my experience

I sometimes respond with "I think your are being unfair", or "Thank you for your honesty". It might wake some of them up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

"I'd do anything* for anyone"

*Terms and conditions apply. This depends on my availability, the nature of the request, whether or not I can be arsed and whether or not I can boast about what a good friend I am afterwards. If there's nothing in it for me, I'm afraid you're on your own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

'I'm a good person...' Usually said by someone who has nothing but bad things to say about others. You either are good person or you are not no need to advertise it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

"The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons,"
    -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

People that are always going on about how hard they work, run off my feet, I'm a busy man etc. are lazy, workshy spoofers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement