Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

I think the point is that he excluded the white male business owners from the list of "equals".
    It would have been more correct if he has said "All business owners!"

Isn't is ironic that the omission, or lack of equality, was not spotted by the poster?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

silverharp wrote: »
    now im really lost, I dont know anything about that, all genocides are bad though, i hope their isnt an argument for any kid of genocide in the modern age

I was just citing it as an example of how regimes do what they like to justify the ends of their means? If that includes attempting to decimate an entire tribe of people they will. All in the name of whatever political agenda or movement they are waving around trying to justify.

Whilst there is absolutely no argument justifying the occurrence of a genocide, the fact remains that they will continue to exist. Ask Chairman Mao or that phucking monster Pol Pot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Cordell

I think the point is that he excluded the white male business owners from the list of "equals".

I think he's saying everyone but the whites are victims - that means that whites are ok, they don't need any help. Which is incredibly racist imho, but what do I know...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,197 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

How can comments like that result in anything other than increasing resentment, even from a non-racist white population?

It's a marginally less outlandish version of the woke nonsense we've all been mocking here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Yesterday browsing I saw an article that read something like "Meet the Black woman leading covid vaccine development" or some such. Later I watch the 2002 adaptation of White Teeth, a novel I loved 20 years ago. It explores relationships among different cultures in London. I realised how relaxing and chilled it is that it was just normal exploration of friendships, people having the craic, people winding each other up, people rubbing along together normally as humans with all the drama so that it doesn't matter what colour they are, all happening for long ages without the forced "meet the Black woman" stuff that is rammed onto us all the time now. I think it has been a regression with all this postmodern critical race theory stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    I was just citing it as an example of how regimes do what they like to justify the ends of their means? If that includes attempting to decimate an entire tribe of people they will. All in the name of whatever political agenda or movement they are waving around trying to justify.

Whilst there is absolutely no argument justifying the occurrence of a genocide, the fact remains that they will continue to exist. Ask Chairman Mao or that phucking monster Pol Pot.

Pol Pot went down the his particular road because his people had picked up gibberish economic ideas from French lefties. If he had just been running a bog standard nationalist movement they might have just painted their letter boxes "green" and carried on. His economic model was class hatred and a view that anything vaguely administration related was a waste of resources.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

All business owners matter

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    When Chairman Mao was asked for his opinion on the modern consequences of the 18th century French Revolution he replied , " we don't fully know yet, it is too early to tell "

The French are bluffers. Very overrated all said. Their indifference to the Reign of Terror gives me the heebie jeebies.

He was talking about 1968, and was confused. Also it was probably Zhou Enlai.

But yes, those French marxists have a lot to answer for.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,017 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Priority does not mean equal, its the exact opposite

Pretty spurious to cut the quote in ooder to completely change the meaning! Here's the FULL quote again:

"Our priority will be Black, Latino, Asian, and Native American owned small businesses, women-owned businesses and finally having equal access to resources needed to reopen and rebuild."

Pretty obvious that his priority is the equality and not the business being the equality, but you knew that already.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Biker79 wrote: »
    It's not only controversy that has currency on social platforms - its victimhood and outrage, which are manufactured and stoked by the engagement tools of social platforms to create data to sell on to advertisers.

You can trace the development of Woke and Social Inclusion ideologies from about 2007/ 2008. This was when the first smartphones began to appear alongside mass-market social media platforms.

Not too sure if anyone brought them up yet

But another concept from the dawning of the digital revolution known as "Safe Spaces" -

These seem to be one of the principle bolt holes advocated to help avoid causing any stress to the woke. And especially any digital space where the type of victimhood/ outrage you detailed can be weaponised and used against others. Generally inhabited by those who are only to happy to spend their time attacking anyone thet don't agree with whilst screaming that they are been unfairly picked on or wtte.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safe_space

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

All the white male business owners just need to identify as trans gender women and according to Biden et al they will be on top of the oppression pyramid.

All the white male business owners just need to identify as trans gender women and according to Biden et al they will be on top of the oppression pyramid.

Or maybe find minute traces of Native American or other ethnic group in their ancestral DNA and do an Elizabeth Warren.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Minister of Justice recruiting for senior council positions by letting us know that female solicitors, barristers, and people from diverse backgrounds are particularly welcome to apply. This isnt encouraging diversity at the application stage. This is outright showing you have the intention of hiring women or minorities. Why would you phrase the tweet like this otherwise?
    but particularly female solicitors and barristers and people from diverse backgrounds.
    If you were

If you were recruiting a person who was best qualified for the job, they wouldn't have placed so much emphasis on the bolded part. Is the selection criteria going to be biased or tailored in favor of women & minorities? What's the point in men applying when they will hire women or a minority or a minority woman.

https://twitter.com/HMcEntee/status/1348660070436007936

Gruffalux wrote: »
    Or maybe find minute traces of Native American or other ethnic group in their ancestral DNA and do an Elizabeth Warren.
    Even better they should invoke their European Roots and claim to be an ethnic minority, just about everyone can claim to be part of a minority group then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Minister of Justice recruiting for senior council positions by letting us know that female solicitors, barristers, and people from diverse backgrounds are particularly welcome to apply. This isnt encouraging diversity at the application stage. This is outright showing you have the intention of hiring women or minorities. Why would you phrase the tweet like this otherwise?

If you were

If you were recruiting a person who was best qualified for the job, they wouldn't have placed so much emphasis on the bolded part. Is the selection criteria going to be biased or tailored in favor of women & minorities? What's the point in men applying when they will hire women or a minority or a minority woman.

Alternative tweet, free from suspicions of discrimination is so easy:
    "The application process for Senior Counsel for 2021 is open and I urge anyone interested to apply, barristers and solicitors from any background."

I mean, whoever gets to the stage of study/qualification that they can apply is going to be very interested.

So, it really is either performative sh1t or more dangerously signalling that no matter your competency during the selection process, if you tick this particular box, yer in.

If you were

It 's really embarrassing. More than 30 years ago half the law classes in college were girls. Sky was the limit. Most of the top performers in college were girls. Lots of the senior academics and tutors were female. There has not been a problem for women to go to King's Inn or Blackhall Place for many decades. The girls were brainy, competitive, bolshie, confident, and performed excellently. Now decades later the poor helpless ladies need encouraging overtures and girl-power nudges. From the effing female Minister for Justice.

Gruffalux wrote: »
    It 's really embarrassing. More than 30 years ago half the law classes in college were girls. Sky was the limit. Most of the top performers in college were girls. Lots of the senior academics and tutors were female. There has not been a problem for women to go to King's Inn or Blackhall Place for many decades. The girls were brainy, competitive, bolshie, confident, and performed excellently. Now decades later the poor helpless ladies need encouraging overtures and girl-power nudges. From the effing female Minister for Justice.

Yeah, but just like your post earlier about watching something from the 90s too..it just seems so divisive and regressive.. it's so dangerous the way these things have been weaponised..

It's just so sinister like.. like, whatever about the youth just being stupid, there's an element that knows what they're doing..

Yeah, but just like your post earlier about watching something from the 90s too..it just seems so divisive and regressive.. it's so dangerous the way these things have been weaponised..

It's just so sinister like.. like, whatever about the youth just being stupid, there's an element that knows what they're doing..

In this wokeness stuff there has definitely been facilitation and platforming of youthful folly from a cohort whose motives I am hesitant to pin down. Thoughts of the youthful Bolsheviks coddled by the older Intelligentsia comes to mind as an historical example I have heard argued. The Intelligentsia, however, did not fare too well when the Bolsheviks came to power.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,808 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

If I was qualified and interested in that role, as a white male I probably wouldn't bother. I wouldn't bother to apply for any job with this appeal. Many have said above, it should have just been left at "open" and not specified who can apply. No doubt someone from those mentioned categories will get it. I hope someone has the bother to follow this and post a follow up, I will be highly shocked if a white male gets this.

Speaking of white, for shigs and gigs, I went to see just what % of the world population is white. Seems "white" is not just white anymore, and includes shades now. But I digress, it was about 14% of the world population is white. Which is a very small % to me. I also noticed that from a 2016 census, 92% of Ireland is white. Probably a bit less now since then, but still overwhelmingly white. But we're getting to the stage of "white males may not apply" imo. Feel sorry for those who are genuinely qualified for these roles but won't get them because of diversification for the sake of conformance. Going by the census survey, only 1 in 10 should be non-white for jobs over here, and not the 50/50 they want to espouse.

Just my opinion though, I'll continue to exclude myself from society for the foreseeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭The Witches Cat

RTE hired a female black presenter for the Nationwide Programme.
    She come across as a lovely girl but was she hired because of her talent or because she is female and black??

• Advertisement

She come across as a lovely girl but was she hired because of her talent or because she is female and black??

Was she on the other night (I don't watch it, it was on while I was doing the washing up), can speak English but you know it's not her first language? If so, I found her hard to understand at times, and I'd be less likely to call someone out on that than others. Just considering the type of people who watch it, mainly older I believe, it could be harder for them too.

Then again, I'd take her over Baz and some other useless streaks of piss.

Then again, I'd take her over Baz

That's true I suppose..

But it is empty tokenism too..

Although, is Baz not kind of there as a kind of token ethnic too?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

If Nationwide goes that way I’m done. Only thing I watched on there I want a sense of home, not africa.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

If you were

I wonder will the their husbands let them out of the kitchen to apply ?? Some people like Helen still think society lives in the 70s with its attitudes to women . I worked in a shop during the recession . Most of the managers were women , the store manager was a woman , the person who owned the company was a woman . My doctor is a woman , I got a colonoscopy last year and the doctor who performed it was a woman . My accountant is a woman . I wonder if the local waste company were hiring binmen , would they be so vocal in wanting women to be fill those vacancies.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Is that the girl a who speaks a little like a primary school teacher? She's on nationwide a couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Think she used to do the kids news on RTE 2, so she didnt go straight in at the top...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

If I was qualified and interested in that role, as a white male I probably wouldn't bother. I wouldn't bother to apply for any job with this appeal. Many have said above, it should have just been left at "open" and not specified who can apply. No doubt someone from those mentioned categories will get it. I hope someone has the bother to follow this and post a follow up, I will be highly shocked if a white male gets this.

Speaking of white, for shigs and gigs, I went to see just what % of the world population is white. Seems "white" is not just white anymore, and includes shades now. But I digress, it was about 14% of the world population is white. Which is a very small % to me. I also noticed that from a 2016 census, 92% of Ireland is white. Probably a bit less now since then, but still overwhelmingly white. But we're getting to the stage of "white males may not apply" imo. Feel sorry for those who are genuinely qualified for these roles but won't get them because of diversification for the sake of conformance. Going by the census survey, only 1 in 10 should be non-white for jobs over here, and not the 50/50 they want to espouse.

Just my opinion though, I'll continue to exclude myself from society for the foreseeable.

In fairness that is an example of faux transparency and a shockingly blatant piece of PR.

It is highly likely that she will take on a high earning white male now. The point of the tweet is to attempt to emphasise that as an employer they are accepting all potential applications. The reality is that for such a senior position she already has someone lined up, she still has to put the position out for public tender and due process. The pen pushing civil service cushty numbers are always handouts or promotions to pals. But they have to be seen to be doing the right thing.

She should sack her PR team though, that tweet is woefully woke and blatant.

I'd still like to see who gets it though. Would be interesting. But totally agree, terrible tweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

If was thinking of putting on a blouse and wig going for a big job in RTE or something and then claim discrimination when I didn’t get the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

If was thinking of putting on a blouse and wig going for a big job in RTE or something and then claim discrimination when I didn’t get the job.

You don't need to go to all that trouble. Just say you identify as female.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement