Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Women's fashions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Hoop66

KungPao wrote: »
    The good thing about loose/baggy jeans up to early/mid-00s was you'd see lots of lovely lady arse crack.

That is a thing of the past now, but I can console myself with the tight pants they wear these days, it's sometimes like they're wearing nothing at all.

tenor.gif?itemid=5439362

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Washboard stomachs too! The fascination with the arse is a recent enough thing, especially the Kardashian variety.
    +1 This stuff goes in trends alright. The 80's were more about the legs, where the bikinis had waist lines that ended in the armpits. :D Then the 90's it was the washboard stomachs to the fore. Arses weren't in the mainstream mix beyond outliers like "Baby's got back" and Jennifer Lopez and much of it was coming from African American/Latino culture. Then arses got big(literally) and it went mainstream. It's also easier to fake in photos and selfies and the like with carefully set up angles, washboard abs not so much.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭king_of_mayo

Young women seem to be all about showing the underboob now. In my day, a bit of sideboob was considered riskié.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

for me the mid to late nineties were in most respects a brilliant time to be young.
    class music, class sport, society in Ireland was in almost every respect improving, troubles over, church power collapsing, free third level education. the tiger was starting to roar but the excess and vulgarity were still years away. money in your pocket and the drinking was epic and constant as a piss head this heaven for me, i have never been top at anything but by Jesus i was a grade 1 drinker) it was the last hurrah for the smoker, i was a B&H man, ah the memories.

the one massive downside was the woman clothes. the finest of woman went around in doc marten boots, baggy jeans an a large oversized black jumpers.
    mind you there was very little body shaming or pressure to be thin because no one knew what anyone looked like under the baggy clobber, and this went for men as well as woman.
    life was smokey pubs, smokey concerts smokey festivals, by the end of the decade the first of the smokey friends weddings, baggy suits, baggy dresses, nobody gave a flying F about anything but the next night out.

i suppose its the same for every generation, Ah to be young!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

what a time to be alive. our grandfathers had to be contented with a bit in ankle. We get bums so encased in lycra that they may as well be nude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,547 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Those flesh coloured leggings will cause a crash, they give the impression the wearer is not wearing anything. Do ladies know that some of the leggings are see thru?

I remember the 90's was all rock chicks in baggy clothing, then things changed about mid 90's probably more to do with the spice girls and then it was crop tops and baggy trousers with the tops of the knickers on show and gradually things have just got tighter and tigher.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,076 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

The best thing about having to queue into places more often than before now is when your behind some woman in the aforementioned leggings with a perfectly-sculpted ass.

Although the drawback of the mask wearing policy is you can't decipher whether she is good looking or not :D

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭SlowMotion321

what a time to be alive. our grandfathers had to be contented with a bit in ankle. We get bums so encased in lycra that they may as well be nude.

That's why us older folk are better story tellers, we had a lot of practice using our imaginations ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭I Am Nobody

Anything that showcased their legs,tits,and smile.It that order.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

I think leggings are ghastly. What I reckon is really hot is a chick wearing a shirt thing that covers her hips and short shorts so as you can't tell if she's got anything on at all under the waist.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

Leggings are out of fashion now but it takes time for these trends to phase out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

One of the many traumatic things about middle age is initially labouring under the misguided notion that you will only see high-waisted jeans once in your lifetime

• Registered Users Posts: 9 paulcorkgolf

With trends spanning from ripped tights and biker jackets to polished oversized blazers and poof skirts, and style icons ranging from Joan Jett to Joan Collins, it was one of the most eclectic decades in fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,790 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I'm seeing a lot of young women wearing big, luxurious, wool overcoats.
    They look like they've stolen their mother's best coat!
    Seems particularly popular with Asian women.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,977 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I was a teenager in the mid 90's. The era of Adidas tracksuits.

For a few glorious weeks, full length tearaway bottoms were a thing.

At first the girls wore whatever underwear was at the top of their drawer, but they very quickly started wearing much sexier underwear, with perfectly smooth legs.

Like all good things, it didn't last.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,875 ✭✭✭✭anewme

When you read back this thread, it is a bit creepy.hasn’t aged very well, even though it’s not that old.

Yuk!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

The early 90s "Beverly Hills 90210" conservative jeans have made a return. Kinda baggy with high waists. Levis, Wrangler, Pepe style.

Fashion is cyclical

1960s: short skirts

1970s: maybe a bit longer, with ankle warmers and disco gear.

1980s: baggy sweaters and jeans

1990s: maybe a bit grungy. Tracksuits. Not unlike 1980s.

2000s: whale tail.

2010s and beyond: leggings, jeggings, short skirts, the return of big jeans. An eclectic mix.

The biggest change has been derrieres

1990s: Does my bum look big in this?

2010s: Implants for a massive derriere.

anewme wrote: »
    When you read back this thread, it is a bit creepy.hasn’t aged very well, even though it’s not that old.

Yuk!

What? Creepy? Give it a rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,875 ✭✭✭✭anewme

JayZeus wrote: »
    What? Creepy? Give it a rest.

No maybe YOU give it a rest.

Sleazy creeps anonymous.

Example below and it’s one of the milder examples ...the majority of posts have nothing to do with women’s ‘fashions’

I think leggings are ghastly. What I reckon is really hot is a chick wearing a shirt thing that covers her hips and short shorts so as you can't tell if she's got anything on at all under the waist.

I'm pretty sure when I started secondary school circa 2001 is when things like leggings/yoga pants/etc. started becoming common. Unless I only started noticing because I was going through puberty - but I don't think that's the case.

My question is to people 35 and over.

How could you tell before jeans got tighter and leggings/yoga pants became common that a woman had a nice derriere?

Just look at 90s fashions in general. Baggy football jerseys, baggy jumpers, baggy jeans. Everything left to the imagination.

That was the beauty of it.

Going on the pull, you got the thrill of the hunt as well as a lucky bag at the end, who knew what was coming out of all those layers and folds.

Sight of a black bra strap drove us wild as young bucks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

I think we have essentially frozen in time now.

If you had a time machine in the year 2000 and went back to 1979, I think you would be instantly staggered by how dfferent everything looked. The hair, the clothes, the cars, it really would have been a different era.

I think that, by and large, if you somehow travelled back in time to 2000, it really would not be as dramatic.

Young lads didn't preen their hairstyles like they do now. Nor did they wear those ultra tight fitting trackies they currently wear, it was looser. Young lads going to bars and clubs were happy enough with a decent t shirt or a button up that cost 20 quid- no 18 year old boy these days goes out without Ralph Lauren, Lacoste etc. I actually have an old copy of The Slate magazine where a writer complains about the BT door staff questioning them for wearing a tracksuit- go into BT nowadays and every second buyer is wearing one, the working class are their main source of sales.

Aside from all that though, for a 21 year period in time we have sort of frozen in time. Which I guess is the way it historically was- I can't imagine a man who lived in 1610 dresse dramatically different to one born n 1690.

The 90s weren't all leggings and long baggy jumpers. The little black dress was popular amongst the indie set.
    Most likely with black tights.

Seems the goal for young women today is to dress as slutty as possible.

Several foreign women have mentioned to me that they consider Irish women to dress like prostitutes when they go out.

A lot of French, German, Italian women in Ireland dress in a manner that broadcasts to the world how tight with money they are. Penneys/ Vincent De Paul bargain bucket from five years ago.

I do have a little snigger when I see men wearing no socks with ridiculous too tight jeans that only reach their ankles.

I do have a little snigger when I see men wearing no socks with ridiculous too tight jeans that only reach their ankles.

I'm fairly open to people wearing whatever the fcuk they want but that no socks look is horrible to me.
    The eyebrows on every woman under 30 is another one I just can't get my head around.
    Although, I think we've passed peak stupid eyebrows about a year ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

I'm fairly open to people wearing whatever the fcuk they want but that no socks look is horrible to me.
    The eyebrows on every woman under 30 is another one I just can't get my head around.
    Although, I think we've passed peak stupid eyebrows about a year ago.

And the contouring! So that they all kind of look the same in the end. In my day (:D) we'd a labello Chapstick and some blue eyeshadow. The really exotic gals had an orange panstick and clear lash mascara.

The fitness/ gym junkie craze that kicked off for young lads during the last recession really seems to have disappeared. It seems to be the thing now for young lads to be skinny as a rake, prpbably because it helps them fit into their ridiculously tight North Face/ EA grey trackies- until about 4 years ago they were all on some Geordie Shore inspired lifting craze.

Also, 20 years ago nobody over the age of 11 wore runners with a see through panel on the heel (and these usually lit up :pac:). Now these bubble runners are the most expensive of the lot (and not worn by anyone over age 22).

But generally, these are very subtle differences from say 1995 to 2021, compared to what a teenager was wearing in 1995 vs 1969. Different world.

Antares35 wrote: »
    And the contouring! So that they all kind of look the same in the end. In my day (:D) we'd a labello Chapstick and some blue eyeshadow. The really exotic gals had an orange panstick and clear lash mascara.

It was all about the eye liner with the girls I knew.

anewme wrote: »
    No maybe YOU give it a rest.

Sleazy creeps anonymous.

Example below and it’s one of the milder examples ...the majority of posts have nothing to do with women’s ‘fashions’

Yeah, the very notion that a guy would find someone sexually attractive... The creep. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭SineadSpears

Also, 20 years ago nobody over the age of 11 wore runners with a see through panel on the heel (and these usually lit up :pac:). Now these bubble runners are the most expensive of the lot (and not worn by anyone over age 22).

I'm well over 22 & I've a pair of Nike Vapormax :cool: Gorgeous runners they are, & the amount of times I've been asked where I got my ones.

They aren't very comfortable though so I wouldn’t buy another pair. I think I paid 130 for mine. But that's the going rate for most decent trainers now so it is what it is

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement