Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What vaccines have you had as an adult?

Options
  • 14-03-2020 6:41am

Reading about possible Covid-19 vaccines reminded me that I don't really get vaccines.. The flu one has never been on my radar as it doesn't seem that common for young adults in Ireland compared to say America.

I've had Hep / rabies I think before going to Asia but never something that is contagious in the same way influenza or Covid-19 is.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

Got the flu shot a couple of times. Having lived with young children and an older cancer patient

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Pneumococcal (got pneumonia and meningitis 4 times in 5 years so that fixed that) and flu

• Registered Users Posts: 28,865 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Got an unmerciful dose of flu a few years ago that knocked me sideways for about four months till I was right after it, so I'm first in the queue for that every year since.

Have had all sorts of exotic ones over the years due to travelling/ working abroad.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Flu vaccine yearly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

One silver lining from all this is that anti Vaxxers might go quiet.

So many families across the world would only love if a vaccine had existed for this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,582 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

I got the BCG and Hep C vaccines in my late teens.
    I now get the flu vaccine every year as soon as it's available. Will probably get the shingles one when I'm older.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

PPV and PCV as they are necessary for having Cochlear implant surgery, I contemplate getting the Flu vaccine every year, then dont bother. I probably will when winter starts again

• Registered Users Posts: 13,038 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Flu annually. The one year I missed it, I was wrecked by flu for a month.
    Hep A & B
    MMR (never had mumps or measles as a kid so I get a regular booster)
    Zostervax (Shingles vaccine, some years ago)
    Shingrix (better shingles vaccine than Zostervax but only available in the UK right now)
    DPT
    Japanese Encephalitis 1 & 2
    Typhoid

• Registered Users Posts: 8,675 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

None as an adult

What's the craic with shingles? It's something related to chicken pox? I had chicken pox when I was young.

• Advertisement

None. I rarely get sick so I don't need any. I won't get one for this thing either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Hep A, Hep B, typhoid, yellow fever, meningitis, rabies. All the travel ones basically.

And flu every year. There are immune compromised people in my family, so, to protect them....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Flu as I'm in a high risk group. I expect the uptake to be a bit higher next winter.

What's the craic with shingles? It's something related to chicken pox? I had chicken pox when I was young.

It usually affects adults, especially older ones and can be devastating, leading blindness or to 'post herpetic neuralgia,' (PHN) basically, pain that can be debilitating that may fade with time.

The US used to recommend you get the vaccine (Zostervax, available in Ireland), at the age of 60. Now, it's 50, and the newer vaccine (Shingrix) is 90% effective with Zostervax in the 60's.

It doesn't matter if you had chicken pox as a kid. You can still get the Shingles.
    My brother nearly went blind from the Shingles, which spurred me to get the vaccine some years ago. He fortunately recovered but still has recurrences. Herself's cousin had it and gets recurrences with PHN from time to time. It's thought that part of the rise in suicides among older Americans is due to PHN from Shingles.

https://www.cdc.gov/shingles/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

None as an adult, only polio vaccine as a kid(had to eat a sugar lump IIRC. No great trial :D) and a tetanus jab when I was 10. Caught all the childhood diseases as was the fashion for the time. Mumps, measles, chicken pox, rubella.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

Haven't had any since really young as I hate injections and I don't really get sick never had the flu.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I don't really get sick never had the flu.
    There are a fair number of people like that out there M. I've had flu once, the Swine variety. My late dad when he was offered the flu jab said to the doc that there was no point because "he'd never had the flu in his life"(80+ when he said it). My poor mum on the other hand caught whatever flu was going and the flu jab made a big difference for her. Now I'll bet he and you and me (except for that one time) did have the flu, but we either passed it off as a mild head cold or we didn't get any symptoms. Even with the swine flu I cleared the main dose over the guts of a weekend. A third of people don't have symptoms. So the flu jab might still be a plan to protect those around us. We might be the bastards the virus uses to help it pass to others. :o:)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Flu shot as soon as it becomes available, its been a God send for me. I used to get a terrible flu almost every year, I haven't had to worry about that since I started flu shots.

I got a ton of shots traveling oversea's with the army, can't remember which one's exactly.

Can't wait for a Covid-19 vax.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

No idea, must look in my vacine passport. I have all the travel ones plus the standard ones, whatever they are. It was up to date last year when the doctor last had a look. Must check to see if anything is expiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Hepatitis A & B.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Used to work in a hospital and had to work in clinical areas, so I've had Hep A & C, Pneumococcal, Flu and had to get Yellow Fever and Rabies when I was going to sub-Saharan Africa

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

None as an adult and I don't intend on getting one, I suffered a heart attack last year too so I gotta be careful but it is what it is.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Tetanus, Hepatitis B and HPV. The latter two free from the Gay Men’s Health Service clinic.

Oh and a couple of flu jabs...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

None as an adult.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭molly09

I never knew there was a shingle vaccine. Is this available to all elderly people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

Flu every year for the last 8 years
    Hep B - sore one into the arm muscle. This was after an ASD child in a school bit me on the hand. I had not been given the heads up that this child was a biter. :(
    Tetanus
    MMR

Those, I got in the last decade.

I got the usual DTaP as a baby. I had meningitis the same week I got this and nearly died. I didn't get any vaccinations after this as it was around the time of the Wakefield "article" and the aul pair felt me becoming ill coincided when my inoculation.

They're not anti-vaxxers anymore though because their views change when they're presented with evidence and logic.
    molly09 wrote: »
    I never knew there was a shingle vaccine. Is this available to all elderly people?

Shingles is a more advanced kind of chicken pox and is vaccinated in the MMR(V). Varicella is the last letter.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Meningitis and tetanus, I got the flu jab in my university years when I had exams in January.

Shingles is a more advanced kind of chicken pox and is vaccinated in the MMR(V). Varicella is the last letter.

Shingrix, the new Shingles vaccine, is stand-alone. Zostervax is commonly available in Ireland. Not as effective (65% coverage versus 90%+ for Shingrix), but as an adult especially older than 50 years old you should get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

One silver lining from all this is that anti Vaxxers might go quiet.

So many families across the world would only love if a vaccine had existed for this.

Is it wrong to want safer vaccines?
    I think you need to look at where this disease came from to realise why we have no immunity to it. Never mind lets just hurry in a new vaccine without trials and testing.

• Advertisement

Flu vaccine every year. Heavens, why would you not?

Advertisement