Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What vaccines have you had as an adult?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

I get the flu vaccine every year. Have gotten the whooping cough one while pregnant (to protect me & baby). Got some ones for travelling (polio and a couple of others). Also have gotten the chicken pox vaccine and MMR. I don't hold immunity to diseases it seems. I've had both measles & rubella in my life but bloods came back showing no immunity. Same with chicken pox - had a presumed case as a child but no immunity in my blood. Means I need to get bloods done every couple of years to see where my immunity is at.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Flu vaccine every year. Heavens, why would you not?
    If you come down with the flu every year or are immunocompromised then yeah, very much so, but I don't and am not, so never bothered. If I did or I was, I would.

I got Swine flu, which IIRC wasn't covered by that years vaccine, but cleared that within the space of days and wasn't stuck in bed for any of them(fairly knackered for a few weeks after though). People differ and a true fact is that a third of people with flu show few or no symptoms. The "oh if you really had flu you'd know it" is mostly nonsense.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    If you come down with the flu every year or are immunocompromised then yeah, very much so, but I don't and am not, so never bothered. If I did or I was, I would.

I got Swine flu, which IIRC wasn't covered by that years vaccine, but cleared that within the space of days and wasn't stuck in bed for any of them(fairly knackered for a few weeks after though). People differ and a true fact is that a third of people with flu show few or no symptoms. The "oh if you really had flu you'd know it" is mostly nonsense.

I can very well remember getting the flu in 1992. Yes, a long time ago, but I remember the first week, hardly able to get to the toilet, and three weeks before I could get around in any semblance of normality. And I was fit, and in my late thirties. And that’s why I get the jab. Each to his own, of course!

Advertisement