Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Middle Age and All That Jazz...

Options
  • 05-03-2020 6:46pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So in less than 3 weeks I will turn 45 years of age. 45...wow. I sort of can't believe that I am now officially middle aged (and before you twentysomethings quip that 35 is middle aged, no it isn't).

What have I achieved with my life? Am I happy with my lot? Where am I going? Do I need to take stock of things?

And what of the dreaded "Mid Life Crisis?" Does it even really exist?

Anyone who is in this phase of life or has already been though middle age post on this thread. :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Redneck Reject71

JupiterKid wrote: »
    So in less than 3 weeks I will turn 45 years of age. 45...wow. I sort of can't believe that I am now officially middle aged (and before you twentysomethings quip that 35 is middle aged, no it isn't).

What have I achieved with my life? Am I happy with my lot? Where am I going? Do I need to take stock of things?

And what of the dreaded "Mid Life Crisis?" Does ot even really exist?

Anyone who is in this phase of life or has already been though middle age post on this thread. :D

I can't remember being 45,heh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭francois

And what of the dreaded "Mid Life Crisis?" Does ot even really exist?

The only difference I noticed is the involuntary grunt I emit when bending down to pick stuff up

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Middle Age and All That Jazz...

Thankfully I haven't had the urge to listen to Jazz.
    It's God awful tuneless rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I was grand at 45. I've just turned 49 and starting to dread the next one. I resolved at approximately 35-36 to not get old so I've probably been having a mid-life crisis since then, TBH. Kid, you're still a young fella

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

So in less than 3 weeks I will turn 45 years of age. 45...wow.

First of all...

Well OP, hopefully you had a good run and had some fun... because those were the best years of your life kiddo! (I called you "kiddo" because it's unlikely you'll be called this by anyone else ever again!) :pac:

Enjoy the ride down the mountain - hopefully it's not too rough on ya! :p

• Advertisement

Sardonicat wrote: »
    I was grand at 45. I've just turned 49 and starting to dread the next one. I resolved at approximately 35-36 to not get old so I've probably been having a mid-life crisis since then, TBH. Kid, you're still a young fella

My OH is turning 42 shortly and he's upset because when he turns 43 he goes from being early 40's to mid 40's. There's always a good reason for an existential crisis if you think about it hard enough.

Studies show that people maintain a steady level of happiness from their mid 20's to late 30's, go into a decline in the mid 40's, then reach lifetime peak happiness from 60 to 69, so the best is yet to come. It makes sense if you consider that you're free from the stresses of raising kids, dealing with older parents, often the stress of career ambition and the financial drain of a mortgage too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'm a matter of days from my 55th birthday so I can report it's hell - bits of you will droop or drop off, that which doesn't will go grey, your memory will fade, your face will start to look a bit weathered (if it doesn't right now!). But
    your cock will still work (probably)

You'll probably become more comfortable in your own skin and have long ceased to care much what others think about you. You are who you are and you're not for changing by this stage. It's never too late to change trains though - I'm in a completely different line of work to 10 years ago so you never know what or who might come along.

You might learn to like jazz ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Vita nova

francois wrote: »
    The only difference I noticed is the involuntary grunt I emit when bending down to pick stuff up

That'll soon evolve into asking yourself, what else can I do when I'm bent down here?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,272 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Turned 45 a few months ago, bald now but that's not big deal really and feel fitter than I did 20 years ago when my life revolved around booze.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

I'm turning 51 next week, physically I'm ok except now I need glasses to read stuff. I noticed bags under my eyes. And also noticed I'm having to trim my nose, ear and eye brow hair more often. Really, I don't need forests of hair in those places. Speaking of hair, it's definitely gotten a lot lighter on top and that in my own vain way bothers me a bit.

The last of my kids moved out last September and I think that has had more of an impact on me than aging. Suddenly it's very quiet around the house with just myself and herself and the dog. I was a bit depressed at first with the whole my job is done here stuff but I've taken up tennis and photography, going to more social gatherings with the wife and generally taking better care of myself now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I'm 45 this year too and I like jazz (always have really). What I'm finding I'm liking more of are things I may have thought "uncool" back in the 90s. Musically speaking of course.

I think "our" generation (Generation X or whatever you want to call it) may have been the first to have a sense of irony and, having grown up in the 90s which was a pretty great decade, we can still hold our heads up high. Lots of things that were cool in the 90s are still cool now, or have become cool again.

I'm essentially still the same person I was in 1995 - though a bit greyer. The trick is to make sure you keep active, join a gym, work out, and keep fit - so you don't fall into that "middle age spread" trap. People are often assume I'm in my mid 30s by virtue of the fact that I'm not a fat bastard.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,916 ✭✭✭OldRio

All of it?. Fair play to you for listening to it all. Must have taken ages., so many genres. Wow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Redneck Reject71

And what of the dreaded "Mid Life Crisis?" Does it even really exist?

Don't worry about the number, but the small joys and accomplishments in your life now. Sure there will be a few aches and pains crop up, but let the joy of life outweighs those, mi amigo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

OldRio wrote: »
    All of it?. Fair play to you for listening to it all. Must have taken ages., so many genres. Wow.

I want to like jazz and I do appreciate the technical aspects and the importance of history of jazz in music. However, most of the time, for me, it starts off fine and I'm thinking oh this is good now. But after 5 minutes I get bored as I find it aimlessly meandering for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,910 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Nice.

giphy.gif

I turned 65 a year or so ago - just you wait if you’re worried about 45! Seriously, and without being glib (even though this is After Hours!) each stage of life has its pluses, and its minuses. At 45, I had a child - now I have a married daughter with two absolutely lovely grand children. I cannot begin to explain what a marvellous, precious gift that is. I am lucky enough to be reasonably healthy - though I wholeheartedly agree with earlier sentiments about bending down, grunting in the doing, and (as Joanna Lumley once said) wondering what else I could usefully do while I was down there!

Like it or not, there isn’t anything (much!) you can do about going grey, having hair stop growing where it ought to be and start growing where you really don’t want it, looking more like it’s your Dad in the mirror looking back at you, or even needing to get up in the night and take a pee - or maybe two!

I’m trying to enjoy every phase of life, without worrying too much about what the future might hold. I now actually believe that stuff about living in the present - don’t worry about the past (it’s gone) and don’t dream about the future (it will be different to that which you imagine!). The other little phrase that sticks with me was actually in Noel FitzPatrick’s (the Supervet’s) autobiography, “Love generously, forgive early, and get on with life”. I wish I’d heard that Years ago

Good luck, and happy birthday!

FatherTed wrote: »
    I want to like jazz and I do appreciate the technical aspects and the importance of history of jazz in music. However, most of the time, for me, it starts off fine and I'm thinking oh this is good now. But after 5 minutes I get bored as I find it aimlessly meandering for me.

Try Miles Davis - Kind of Blue. If that doesn’t get you, I don’t think much else will!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,278 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I'm a couple of years younger than 45 and have noticed changes in outlook and mindset in recent years. I don't think it's just about my age but rather my age combined with other factors and life events (which tend to happen at this age). In my case, the events/factors have been relatives getting sick and dying, my career being stuck in a rut, not having a partner or any friends, having a long commute. Life seems mundane, disappointing and fairly short.

It's often said that you shouldn't compare yourself to others but this is easier said than done. By age 45, it will be quite apparent who of your age cohort has done well in terms of their career and who has not done so well. Whereas at age 25, many will be in a relatively similar situation as everyone is just starting out

People come out with cliches about how you can do anything you want at any point in your life. But you really can't because you you are limited by time, money, energy and may have commitments that you didn't have when you were younger. Other people's perceptions of you may also affect you e.g. you want to change to a particular career at age 45 but face age discrimination. Also, as time goes on you have less time to recover from errors of judgement.

I find myself thinking back to when I was a third level student. I had very little money and used to get stressed about exams but I was very focused and there was always something to prepare and aim for. Effort got rewarded - if I studied hard, I did well in my exams. I was cynical about a lot of things but also optimistic about my own future. I barely thought about my own mortality or getting old. i suppose I was under the illusion that life would be somewhat like an extension of college (but with more money) which it certainly has not been

• Registered Users Posts: 32,988 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I wish I was 45 again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Rufeo

Would you rather go back to being 18 and stuck in your parents house with no money......45 is a great age. Get out man and live your life!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

OldRio wrote: »

Jazz is a genre, all the "genres" you allude to would be jazz sub-genres, variations of the same theme.

I've never heard a single good jazz song... and I've visited the odd jazz cafe in the US and a lesser one in Edinburgh just to experience it.

That being said, I found the odd few good rap and dance songs (few and far between). I've also an eclectic mix of metal, rock, pop and classical songs in my mp3 favourites playlist.

But no... jazz is tuneless shite.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Rufeo wrote: »
    Would you rather go back to being 18 and stuck in your parents house with no money......45 is a great age. Get out man and live your life!

I do yoga class once a week, art class once a week, volunteering for charity when I can, swim three times a week, two AA meeting per week, a bit of creative writing (a few of my short stories are published) and walk in the park twice a week on top of my full-time job. Plenty going on with my life at the moment! :D

BTW at 18 when I did my LC and started college - I effectively had a "free gaff" as my dad worked away from home 5 days a week, both my older sisters had moved out (one had moved abroad) and my mum had passed away 3 years. And I had a nice bit of money saved up at the time...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Should get a cake to celebrate, I'll eat it for you

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Im hitting 50 next year. Not really that freaked. Planning a nice trip - US most likely. Ive done ok. Fitter now than i was in my 20s. Cycle a good few odd hundred km a month. Still prefer that to golf. Ive grown a beard as well. I love not giving a ****e at this age.

I'll be 45 in a few months.... Never took to jazz though.....

I have found my life has got better & better every decade that passes. So much that right now, I'm a bit down, but I know it will pass.
    Life is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I've started to look at my pension and the balance has tipped to having less years left to work than I've now worked.

I was telling my friend I've become intolerant and narky.

Ahh, she said, sure you were like that since you were 20.

Jazz is painful though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

Candie wrote: »
    My OH is turning 42 shortly and he's upset because when he turns 43 he goes from being early 40's to mid 40's. There's always a good reason for an existential crisis if you think about it hard enough.

Studies show that people maintain a steady level of happiness from their mid 20's to late 30's, go into a decline in the mid 40's, then reach lifetime peak happiness from 60 to 69, so the best is yet to come. It makes sense if you consider that you're free from the stresses of raising kids, dealing with older parents, often the stress of career ambition and the financial drain of a mortgage too.

Ah, here, my forties were the most adventurous time of my life. :)

I moved from Berlin to Belfast in my early forties, just before the peace talks, travelled a lot, got involved with interesting, but somewhat questionable people, travelled a lot, moved eventually to the Republic deep into the countryside and bought a house (an adventure in itself), got involved with further, ehm, interesting people, sailed into my fifties, managed to get new commissions and challenges in my line of work and got involved with more interesting people and activities.

Basically got involved with everything new and interesting which keeps life exciting - hence you don't feel your age.

Now in my glorious sixties, still reasonable fit and healthy (and good-looking, kind of :cool::D) and still eager to get involved into all kinds of shenanigans, and open for all sorts of challenges.

I'm being smug again :) But at my age you're entitled to be whatever you want.

Life is interesting at every age. There is always something new (even new reading glasses), you only have to dare to get out of your comfort zone, physically and mentally, and you will be forever young (at heart).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

I'm 40 now and what strikes me is just how much society has changed. I remember the early to mid 80s when the nct didn't exist and most of our parents had rust buckets on wheels, no central heating and wooden windows with rot, mothers didn't really work and there were loads of kids out playing on the street. Stray dogs and chewing gum on the pavement too.

I remember the novelty in things that are utterly mundane now. Head rests in cars, cars with 2 door mirrors, nike air runners, a bike with front suspension or even a CD player.

When I drop over to my folks house now where I grew up, it's strange to look out the window and to see the ghosts of me and the other kids running around 30 years ago. There's barely any kids out now, it's all very quiet.

Down at the river where we played for hours each day as kids - building bridges with stones, wading in Wellies or even standing on the roofs of abandoned joyriden smashed up cars that were in the water the odd time - no one goes down there now. It's all over grown.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,435 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I don't remember my mid 40s too much. Our two girls were still at school and I was working my ass off all hours of the day to pay a mortgage and try to get up the ladder a bit. Now I'm 60+ and don't really think about it too much other than enjoying an easier pace of life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭yuridwyer

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    I'm 40 now and what strikes me is just how much society has changed. I remember the early to mid 80s when the nct didn't exist and most of our parents had rust buckets on wheels, no central heating and wooden windows with rot, mothers didn't really work and there were loads of kids out playing on the street. Stray dogs and chewing gum on the pavement too.

I remember the novelty in things that are utterly mundane now. Head rests in cars, cars with 2 door mirrors, nike air runners, a bike with front suspension or even a CD player.

When I drop over to my folks house now where I grew up, it's strange to look out the window and to see the ghosts of me and the other kids running around 30 years ago. There's barely any kids out now, it's all very quiet.

Down at the river where we played for hours each day as kids - building bridges with stones, wading in Wellies or even standing on the roofs of abandoned joyriden smashed up cars that were in the water the odd time - no one goes down there now. It's all over grown.

Great post, The Snapper came into my mind for some reason!

Advertisement