Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Middle Age and All That Jazz...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Carry

Came across this one on broadsheet:

Something for us young oldies...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,375 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Why is everyone getting a dig at Candie?

Jealous of her youth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭creditcarder

Hmmm, I wonder is strange that I feel old at 27? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Why is everyone getting a dig at Candie?

Jealous of her youth?

Young Candida is sunshine and lollipops and optimism and little fluffy pupples. She's also well able to tear someone's head off like a small, highly-intelligent chimpanzee and shit edumajaction down their pig-ignorant necks when provoked. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,375 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

jimgoose wrote: »
    Young Candida is sunshine and lollipops and optimism and little fluffy pupples. She's also well able to tear someone's head off like a small, highly-intelligent chimpanzee and shit edumajaction down their pig-ignorant necks when provoked. :D

Candida is an unfortunate choice of pet name, goose!

It conjures something decidedly more irritating.

• Advertisement

You have no idea. :pac:

My surname is Albicans!

Not really - it's Wallfix, as Jimgoose knows. :D

Jim is one of those guys who'll make you look in his pocket so he can show you
    the number of f**ks he doesn't give. He's my role model. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Ah Bertie... look what you did!

You only went and made AH's very own version of mother teresa cry... :P

Don't mind him Candie. You come back in here any time you feel like it, okay pet? ;)
    No she's not like Mother Teresa at all. She's not pious and doesn't revel in making people suffer.

Candie wrote: »
    My surname is Albicans!

Not really - it's Wallfix, as Jimgoose knows. :D

Jim is one of those guys who'll make you look in his pocket so he can show you
    the number of f**ks he doesn't give. He's my role model. :)

3btups.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

As I approach my 40th birthday this year I find myself looking backwards more than forwards. Mostly wishing I could have had my current attitude to life, the universe and everything from my teens through to my 30s...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Alun wrote: »
    Same here in Bray. Walk the Bray - Greystones cliff path any day of the week and the majority of voices you hear are foreign, mainly eastern european. There's a few picnic tables at the start of the walk in Bray, and these also are nearly always occupied by foreigners.

A complaint from the middle aged.....

DEY took our picnic tables.......:pac:

The same thing seems to have happened in America from what I have heard. You usually see the second or third generation people enjoying the parks and not necesarily the WASP people. (the person was talking about a new indian population:P )

I have a theory that people do not want to look lower class.

By going for a walk in a Park:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Gretas Gonna Get Ya!

Carry wrote: »
    What are you talking about? What agenda? :confused:

It seems that you are either too old (doddery) or too young (inexperienced) to understand what Candie wrote. No offence. With respect. :D

But I'm serene enough to listen to (or read) your explanation what kind of agenda you've seen in Candie's post.
    Go on.

I won't speak for Bertie, but it's becoming quite clear that Candie is very much anti-youth... she's finding it hard to conceal this agenda tbh! :p

She is telling the youth of today, that they must wait until they are between 60-69 to experience "peak happiness"... whatever that is? (Unless I am misreading, and she was referring to another type of 69? Which can also produce a peak of happiness!:pac:)

Doesn't she know that most of the youth today, will be lucky if they reach 69... Cocaine is not a very forgiving drug, when it comes to living a long life! :D

Shame on you Candie - show us youngsters some respect! I'm sickeningly youthful and handsome, and I'm having a great time in this weird and wacky world... I don't even mind talking to you wrinkly old timers on occasions. Some of you are quite amusing... (for old people) :)

...Shame on you Candie - show us youngsters some respect! I'm sickeningly youthful and handsome, and I'm having a great time in this weird and wacky world... I don't even mind talking to you wrinkly old timers on occasions. Some of you are quite amusing... (for old people) :)

I hope you're having a good time deliverooing your Uber in a beardy co-living environment. Soon enough you'll be trying to outrun a psychotic, mohawked 80-year-old on a turbonitrous GSX-R1000 salivating for your fresh, healthy liver. See you on the road, scag! :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Thank fcuk that past 50 I've not had the difficulty in bending down or up thing some seem to have. No dribbling wee or need to work out where the jacks is. Not yet anyway. To be fair my oulfella at 80 plus could get into the lotus position and I never once heard him fire out a groan picking anything up so... The trick here seems to be to avoid middle aged spread. That extra weight buggers joints.

I would say, or at least from my observations of friends and others, that having kids while very fulfilling also seems to age many, especially men. I suppose all that responsibility to be The Adult(tm) and the fact you're watching them grow makes the years seem to fly by(sure t'was only yesterday they were babies etc). Time for me never sped up really. Goes at the same pace it always did, which is pretty slow. Ten, even five years ago seems like a lifetime away and twenty is like regarding a different me entirely.

I also hate and I mean hate nostalgia like the very plague. That "in our day" sh1te. A mix of it was better and look how hard we had it bollocks, nearly always mixed in with some serious memory embellishments, that seem to be collectively agreed upon for the sake of it. Or their memories are crap. Give me bloody strength. Thankfully my friends tend to avoid it.

I have generally found that men are much worse for this and lose mind plasticity with the years. The "I'm comfortable in myself" notion can often just mean they've decided a rigid set of what they believe in, "know" and who they are and they're going to ride that all the way to the grave by God! :D Women are more likely to get a second wind I've found. I suppose teh menopause creates an end of one thing and a beginning of something else. Or at least I have found it far far more difficult to change the mind of a 60 year old man compared to a 60 year old woman. No matter what the evidence and reality is.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I won't speak for Bertie, but it's becoming quite clear that Candie is very much anti-youth... she's finding it hard to conceal this agenda tbh! :p

She is telling the youth of today, that they must wait until they are between 60-69 to experience "peak happiness"... whatever that is? (Unless I am misreading, and she was referring to another type of 69? Which can also produce a peak of happiness!:pac:)

Doesn't she know that most of the youth today, will be lucky if they reach 69... Cocaine is not a very forgiving drug, when it comes to living a long life! :D

Shame on you Candie - show us youngsters some respect! I'm sickeningly youthful and handsome, and I'm having a great time in this weird and wacky world... I don't even mind talking to you wrinkly old timers on occasions. Some of you are quite amusing... (for old people) :)
    :):p:D;) :pac:

But above all... :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Raconteuse wrote: »
    No she's not like Mother Teresa at all. She's not pious and doesn't revel in making people suffer.

It would be you then, would it?

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Sounds like a group of "special" school children with kazoos

People often don't like what they don't understand.

If we were talking about calculus here, I'd agree, but we're not.
    Maybe it only appeals to people who don't like order, tune and melody...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

If you're new to Jazz and trying to get into it I suggest starting with a Blue Note records compilation. I think it's some of the more easily digestible but still innovative stuff. Also try some CTI records and Kudu Records.
    Within those three labels you will find that a lot of stuff sampled to make some of the golden era hip hop of the mid 90s.

I can't wait for it to warm up again so I can cycle to work again. The car is making me grow a tire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

jimgoose wrote: »

If I had to name my one major regret, it's not owning an old JCB so that I can legitimately claim, when bothered by such inconsequentials as my boss, my OH, or the Gardaí, to be "below claynin' dykes". Bite the bullet and be it.

Thankfully I can still fully trust my farts and bladder but on your last point here we have shared ground. Recently I discovered that 'tis but a 2 day course to get the digger ticket, that there is always call for digger drivers, that they get paid fairly well per hour, and feck me if I amn't thinking as a lady in her early 50s that it sounds like something I might very well do! Part time :)

• Advertisement

I think some jazz is great. It's a broader genre than you'd think. It's not all the turgid improv stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Don’t get all the jazz hate or its relation to age.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Raconteuse wrote: »
    I think some jazz is great. It's a broader genre than you'd think. It's not all the turgid improv stuff.

Was looking for a word of the day for the whiteboard in work, cheers! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

adox wrote: »
    Don’t get all the jazz hate or its relation to age.

Check out the thread title

Check out the thread title

I'm laughing away here.

I didnt think OP meant jazz music specifically.

More like ...middle age and all that jazz as in middle age and all that comes with it.. similar things.....etc. in fact theres no actual reference to music at all in the post.

As people started going on about jazz and likening it or hating it...I too like a sheep just joined in and answered in my reply that I dreaded it as I thought other posters were saying they got into jazz in their middle age. I didn't actually connect it with the thread title at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

I turned 47 last week. I'm trim enough, still have hair with no grey and frequently get mistaken for being 10 years younger despite drinking and smoking far too much.

Despite working a physical enough job I'm fecked from the smokes, bought a nose and ear trimmers recently enough (great buy), have a reputation at work for being a cranky bastard (actually quite cheerful) and my knees make weird noises going up the stairs.

My personal and job life is an absolute train wreck but I have great family and friends.

As for the jazz it's A-Team.

"Hannibal's Social Security Number, revealed in the fifth-season episode "Dishpan Man", is 044-34-0681B. Thriving on adventure and the adrenaline rush of life-threatening situations (or being "on the jazz", as the rest of the team refers to it)."

More sitting down tbh and seen to be relaxing. America's a bit weird in that way with the go go mentality. Noticed it in one of my exes.

Edit: Did you read the post I replied to as a matter of interest?

Your response was the one about if people go to parks they are seen as lower class people

Many Americans have Summer Houses and go on Vacation...hardly low class stuff.

Because you noticed a trait in one of your ex's, you are making weird sweeping judgements on whole races of people.

This thread is a positive thread, with people having a laugh and great interaction...it would be a pity to bring racism, sexism, negativity into it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Ahhh middle aged and I think ive fallen in love for the first time in my life.
    She's as mad as a box of frog's but not your red flag npd type, more like full of life and accepts im bisexual and has no hang ups as she said she was going through a lezzer stage up until 4 years ago and she knows how bi people think and the of thinking with both sides of the brain.

We're living apart but know each other 2 years now, we'll go exclusive though just the two us, we both have sons, mines 19 hers is 3 from a sperm donation.

We've both houses we got out of inheritance money so no mortgage which is great, she's by the beach I'm in the Burren.

So being a dad I adapted to her world and her mine.
    All that shoite of kids getting in the way goes out the window when you really love someone and are a responsible adult.

She's a bit of a gypsy bohemian type and thats cool, not a Liberal lefty loon but a moderate type, well I suppose she's normal with her convictions.

Like my self we think social justice warriors and strident activists are knobs..

But sure we're probably knobs as we both know what its like to sit on one.
    But as they say love conquers all.

Middle age is cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭wfdrun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

nthclare wrote: »
    Ahhh middle aged and I think ive fallen in love for the first time in my life.
    She's as mad as a box of frog's but not your red flag npd type, more like full of life and accepts im bisexual and has no hang ups as she said she was going through a lezzer stage up until 4 years ago and she knows how bi people think and the of thinking with both sides of the brain.

We're living apart but know each other 2 years now, we'll go exclusive though just the two us, we both have sons, mines 19 hers is 3 from a sperm donation.

We've both houses we got out of inheritance money so no mortgage which is great, she's by the beach I'm in the Burren.

So being a dad I adapted to her world and her mine.
    All that shoite of kids getting in the way goes out the window when you really love someone and are a responsible adult.

She's a bit of a gypsy bohemian type and thats cool, not a Liberal lefty loon but a moderate type, well I suppose she's normal with her convictions.

Like my self we think social justice warriors and strident activists are knobs..

But sure we're probably knobs as we both know what its like to sit on one.
    But as they say love conquers all.

Middle age is cool.

Enjoy every minute.

Advertisement