Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Songs you can't listen to because they are too emotional for you

• 17-12-2015 2:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭

2005 was probably one of the most emotional years for myself, personally (due to death and losses.) One of the biggest songs in my world that year was Coldplay's "Fix You." It's an emotional song already, without the added emotion of ones own situation. Anyway, any time I hear that song now, it's like being punched in the stomach, because it brings me right back to the situation I was in that year, and I cannot listen to it.

Are there any songs that do that to you? And why?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Gaygooner

No matter what- played at my 14 year old cousins funeral after she was killed in an RTA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

Gaygooner wrote: »
    No matter what- played at my 14 year old cousins funeral after she was killed in an RTA

Jesus, that's rough :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

The Chicken Song

DareGod wrote: »
    Jesus, that's rough :(

Hit an run in effect - upstanding member of the community - prick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Cherish by Madonna

Playing in the background when I got the call my Ma died suddenly and then again when I got the call a good friend had committed suicide.

I can still listen to the song though, and I think it's pretty apt in fairness, just well up when I hear it.

• Advertisement

She died in December too. She's now longer dead than she was alive. Still heartbreaking

Where do you go to my lovely.

Makes me wanna hit everyone and everything around me.

Fooking dreadful song.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I find when i'm in the need of a good cry, i throw on Young@Heart's cover of Fix You:

The story behind it is necessary to get the full effect: the man singing used to do that song with his best friend for donkeys years, and he died shortly before this performance. Truly emotional stuff.

Wait -

My mellow is getting harshed here...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Sam Smiths song Im not the only one,love it but cannot listen to it.:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Funeral song of a close friend. Still gets to me even listening to it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

Me and my fiance used to listen to this and dream about the house and life and family we were going to build together.

Needless to say, it didn't work out!

It was a very happy carefree time, and it's hard to listen to the song now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Luther Vandross, Dance With My Father.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Opening this thread like....

...and leaving like.

Luther Vandross, Dance With My Father.
    That'll be one for me some day too.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭mckar

In the arms of an angel - Sarah mclachlan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Cliché, but it is what it is...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,338 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Thread should have been saved until Christmas Day for maximum depression.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

PARlance wrote: »
    Thread should have been saved until Christmas Day for maximum depression.
    :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

Two for me, first one was played at my younger brother's funeral at age 15. Losing My Favourite Game - The Cardigans. As someone else above said its like a punch in the stomach when I unexpectedly hear it.

Second one, Burn by Ray LaMontagne. My mother was diagnosed with cancer at 58 and died within 5 weeks and I used to play this driving home from the hospital. Never hear it on radio but it's in my music library and I haven't been able to play it since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87 ✭✭inthepit

"July" Was on radio in borrowed AlphaRomeo as I went to nephews funeral,bright sunny song,bright sunny evening,dark dark day.
    Lakes of Ponchatrain,always reminds me of a mate that passed away far too young.
    Always a tear in my eye.

Cheers OP, you have us all crying like onion peelers at a redundancy announcement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87 ✭✭inthepit

"July" Was on radio in borrowed AlphaRomeo as I went to nephews funeral,bright sunny song,bright sunny evening,dark dark day.
    Lakes of Ponchatrain,always reminds me of a mate that passed away far too young.He sang it so beatifully
    Always a tear in my eye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

That'll be one for me some day too.

Funnily enough, I used to think (as a teenager / early twenties lout) that way whenever I heard the Mike & The Mechanics song, The Living Years when my Dad was still alive. That line, 'I wasn't there that morning, when my father passed away, I didn't get to tell him, all the things I had to say..' used to make me think, 'Jesus, one day I might hear that song and relate to it' and then I'd be extra nice to him.. for a half an hour or so :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    Cliché, but it is what it is...

Ah jeez, yep - those are heartbreaking, especially if they have personal resonance... :-/

I think most people know Tears In Heaven is about Eric Clapton's little boy dying due to a fall from a high-rise building :( but I only found out quite recently that Jesus To A Child is about George's partner dying of a brain haemorrhage a few years beforehand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Opened thread in anticipation of leaving a silly light-hearted response. Read posts.

Didn't.

Funnily enough, I used to think (as a teenager / early twenties lout) that way whenever I heard the Mike & The Mechanics song, The Living Years when my Dad was still alive. That line, 'I wasn't there that morning, when my father passed away, I didn't get to tell him, all the things I had to say..' used to make me think, 'Jesus, one day I might hear that song and relate to it' and then I'd be extra nice to him.. for a half an hour or so :P
    Suppose this is the place to put this, my oul lad says to me recently that when he kicks out he wants to be cremated and his ashes scattered at sea, I says to him Jesus, you better put that in writing, because this is Donegal and people will say I'm just too mean to bury you, and he says, ah it'll be grand, you'll sort it out.

So anything by The Stranglers makes me misty at the minute:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

Bright Eyes by Art Garfunkel. Simply can't. It doesn't thankfully mean anything significant in my life but it's just such a heartbreakingly sad song IMO...

Azalea wrote: »
    Bright Eyes by Art Garfunkel. Simply can't. It doesn't thankfully mean anything significant in my life but it's just such a heartbreakingly sad song IMO...
    Great tune, the kind that makes you hug any pet about the place. Maybe not a snake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

This version of a Billy Joel classic..

Still very raw but my daughters' little girl was born sleeping last October and I stumbled across this whilst looking for suitable songs for a funeral service. Absolutely tears me apart but I love it and is a reminder of a beautiful life that could have been. Finding it very hard to listen to now and can only listen to it using headphones as everyone else erupts in tears if they hear it

https://youtu.be/CjSix58CXQQ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

'Somethings gotta hold of my heart' Marc almond and gene pitney! Was number 1 the week my mother died and although it doesn't make ne sad as such, it takes me right back to that week and if I close my eyes I could be there in the moment again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Winter by Tori Amos. Reminds me of my dad who was diagnosed as terminally ill 20 years ago this Christmas.

https://youtu.be/_PDlGUdDF8Y

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

endacl wrote: »
    Opened thread in anticipation of leaving a silly light-hearted response. Read posts.

Didn't.

I slipped up there myself.

Thinking of the song that is too emotional to hear for myself is hard. If I find it from the locked memory modules of my brain I will post it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I cry every time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Wildest Dreams by Taylor Swift. Listened to it when I was already in a fairly miserable pool of nostalgia for old flames and friends, so the whole theme of wondering if someone remembers you hits me right in the feels. And I dunno, the whole aspect of already knowing something is going to end badly before you even start, I'm not really sure but something about this song makes me bawww like a baby.

Grace Kelly by Mika is a silly one because it's not that emotional itself, but my first major crush danced with me to it and I never really got over her, so can't really hack that one either :D

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭XplaygirlX

The rose & the wind beneath my wings by Bette midler. In the arms of an Angel by Sarah McLaughlin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

My mother passed in August so a lot of songs make me cry at the moment, but my Dad had this song playing as her coffin was carried out of the church. It was the only song during the service and my heart breaks equally for my mother and my Dad being left alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭XplaygirlX

I'm in the exact same situation as you Californiadream. So sorry for your loss

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

After GTA Vice City came out (2002/3) I was on a Flock of Seagulls buzz. I went to visit my bro in the UAE, and his wife and son. For this trip I had a CD full of that band's MP3s to pass the time at lights out. Was a strange and wonderful trip looking back. Me being an awkward 21yo in the Middle East, visiting some of my family and staying in his great place. But shortly after, my bro's young son died. It really affected me.

To this day I can't listen to that band. I know it sounds funny...a flock of seagulls...but listening to them really brings me back to that time, which was the the last meaningful time I spent with my nephew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Merry Christmas, Darling by the Carpenters. I was away from the missus one Christmas a few years ago. We are very attached to one another and it was very difficult being away at that time!

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭beyondbelief67

+1 for Mike and the mechanics the living years. I just can't listen to it without getting choked up, and wishing I had told my dad everything I wanted to say, but being a typical 16 year old and thinking he'd be around forever and him being only 39, unfortunately there was lots unsaid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

'Somethings gotta hold of my heart' Marc almond and gene pitney! Was number 1 the week my mother died and although it doesn't make ne sad as such, it takes me right back to that week and if I close my eyes I could be there in the moment again.

That song has always haunted me (the original and Almond version) but has no personal emotional connection. The vocals and feelings are so strong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

I have so many, can't remember at the moment, but music makes me very emotional and I associate it with many things.

I was at the funeral of my cousin's father (related through his mother) they've been divorced for years and I didn't know him very well but when this song got to the chorus it felt like I'd been punched, had to really hold the tears in so it didn't look like I was crying over a man I hardly knew, but the song made me think about the pain my cousin must be in. I just wanted to go collect my 4 year old and hold on very tight to her.

https://youtu.be/0n67dSG35L4

Wildest Dreams by Taylor Swift. Listened to it when I was already in a fairly miserable pool of nostalgia for old flames and friends, so the whole theme of wondering if someone remembers you hits me right in the feels. And I dunno, the whole aspect of already knowing something is going to end badly before you even start, I'm not really sure but something about this song makes me bawww like a baby.

Grace Kelly by Mika is a silly one because it's not that emotional itself, but my first major crush danced with me to it and I never really got over her, so can't really hack that one either :D

You'll probably be surprised but Grace Kelly by Mika, and his whole debut album in fact, is also a slightly emotional one for me - for similar reasons.

My mother passed in August so a lot of songs make me cry at the moment, but my Dad had this song playing as her coffin was carried out of the church. It was the only song during the service and my heart breaks equally for my mother and my Dad being left alone.
    XplaygirlX wrote: »

My greatest fear is my mother dying. I have no desire to continue living without her. I have no idea how people go on without their mothers. I suppose that having a lover/spouse/child helps. I have none of those things, and I have no desire to have any of those things right now. My point is: I have no idea how you guys do it. My own mother was extremely close to her mother, who died when my mam was in her mid 30s. Last year I asked my mam how she coped with losing her mother, who she was so close to. I can't really remember her response, probably because it wasn't the answer I was hoping for.

Try to ignore my ramblings. Long story short, I'm sure that losing ones mother is one of the toughest experiences in the world, and I hope that you guys are okay. Lets all be in this together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaliforniaDream

XplaygirlX wrote: »

Thanks. To say it sucks is a massive understatement. I'm sorry that you're going through it too.
    DareGod wrote: »
    My greatest fear is my mother dying. I have no desire to continue living without her. I have no idea how people go on without their mothers. I suppose that having a lover/spouse/child helps. I have none of those things, and I have no desire to have any of those things right now. My point is: I have no idea how you guys do it. My own mother was extremely close to her mother, who died when my mam was in her mid 30s. Last year I asked my mam how she coped with losing her mother, who she was so close to. I can't really remember her response, probably because it wasn't the answer I was hoping for.

Try to ignore my ramblings. Long story short, I'm sure that losing ones mother is one of the toughest experiences in the world, and I hope that you guys are okay. Lets all be in this together.

It's not something you can prepare for or imagine how you'd feel until it happens. I hope that day is as long in the future as possible for you. I'm going through a divorce as well so I don't have that support at home, nor do I have kids. I don't know if that's better or worse tbh, because it just truly sucks no matter what.
    My mother was almost the same age as me when her mother passed away and because I wasn't born at the time, I never really asked her about it. She lost both parents and a brother by her mid-30's. I'm 30 this year and don't know how I'd cope if I was in her shoes. It just reminds me of how great a person she was and all I can do is live my life as best I can in her memory. She was far from a saint, but she loved life, laughed all the time and did her best.

Give your mother a cuddle the next time you see her. :)

Thanks. To say it sucks is a massive understatement. I'm sorry that you're going through it too.

It's not something you can prepare for or imagine how you'd feel until it happens. I hope that day is as long in the future as possible for you. I'm going through a divorce as well so I don't have that support at home, nor do I have kids. I don't know if that's better or worse tbh, because it just truly sucks no matter what.
    My mother was almost the same age as me when her mother passed away and because I wasn't born at the time, I never really asked her about it. She lost both parents and a brother by her mid-30's. I'm 30 this year and don't know how I'd cope if I was in her shoes. It just reminds me of how great a person she was and all I can do is live my life as best I can in her memory. She was far from a saint, but she loved life, laughed all the time and did her best.

Give your mother a cuddle the next time you see her. :)

F**k. I don't know what to say to that. Thank you for your honesty and for your words. I wish you all the best. I hope you find strength somewhere.

• Advertisement
Advertisement