Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haven't touched a drop in...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 thenumber3

116 days.

I'm tracking myself with the I am sober app that I find useful to keep an eye on my progress. All going well so far, the longest I've been off drink since I started it in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Coming up on 20 months now. :)

Delighted with myself but keeping up my twice-weekly AA meetings (on Zoom) and my programme. I also meet my addiction counsellor for a 1 to 1 once a month.

For me, it's important to balance the great progress I have made with the realisation that I cannot get too complacent.

Good stuff mate. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

817 days for me today. I don't think about it anymore, my life is just so much easier without alcohol, I'm a lot calmer and much more content. I take better care of myself and others can see it.

Good luck to everyone here
    T*

Brilliant stuff. Over two years. Impressive.

8 days today. Complacency is slipping in again so I have to watch myself. Well done to everyone still fighting the good fight!

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Tinwhistle*

8 days today. Complacency is slipping in again so I have to watch myself. Well done to everyone still fighting the good fight!

Best advice I can give is to keep busy and take one day at a time.

I did a lot of walking listening to music in the early days, I put away the money I was saving and treated myself to something small each week and put the rest into the Credit Union. When you see that adding up, it's harder to spend it on booze.

Make a list of the advantages/disadvantages of drinking. Remind yourself that alcohol contains ethanol. Keep your distance (further than 2m!) from your friends who are drinking, until you know you can spend time with them without an alcoholic drink in your hand.

Again, one day at a time. You CAN do it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Pistachio19

4 years today. Cannot believe I've lasted this long.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Nicely done! 4 years is definitely an achievement to be proud of

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

4 years today. Cannot believe I've lasted this long.

Fantastic achievement. 4 years sober is wonderful. :)
    21 months myself and feeling great!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 61 ✭✭whysobecause

I will try to stop the beer tonight.
    I done it before, but only for a day or two.
    I get terrible Anxiety in the evenings, if I don't go to the Off License.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

I get terrible Anxiety in the evenings, if I don't go to the Off License.[/QUOTED

What about after drinking,,,,do you not get anxiety?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

For me, the anxiety after drinking was ten times worse which led me to drink to alleviate that anxiety and round and round I went :)

I get terrible Anxiety in the evenings, if I don't go to the Off License.[/QUOTED

What about after drinking,,,,do you not get anxiety?[/QUOTE
    The Anxiety stops after I buy the beer.
    I use to get Anxiety sometimes after drinking it, but not in at least 6 months.

Will quit the beer again, starting this evening, I'll see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Sarah x1987x

Hi is there anyone on this who would done treatment in rehab that could give me bit advice regarding a family member in private please?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭BK92

It's coming up to Christmas, friends and family are planning to come home, it's getting colder, wetter and darker outside, everyone's going through the supermarket brochures to see what they're going to stock up on for Christmas etc.

I find the temptation is particularly strong now, a drink beside the roaring fire, something to have with the Christmas dinner "Ah sure you might as well for the day that's in it", 'specially/exclusively selected' wines and spirits that we won't see for the rest of the year, sure we might as well splurge and have a proper blow out ? New year, new me, right ?

Stand firm folks, go mad with decorations, pig out with a takeaway watching the Toy Show, buy the most expensive scallops and smoked salmon starters for the Christmas dinner you wouldn't have dreamt of buying before, go for a good walk on Christmas eve after watching the Guinness Christmas Ad, whatever you choose to do, do it without a glass in the other hand and it'll be the best Christmas yet !

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Get Real

Just popping by to say, fair play to everyone in this thread, contributing for almost a decade in total. Each and every one of you.

I have no idea where this is coming from. I sometimes read this thread as a drinker, just out of curiosity. I never had a massive problem with drink.

But, I did something I am deeply sorry for, where drink played a factor. As a result, I am off it 6 months. I wasn't intending on going this long, and I am not anti drink. I like to meet my friends (not now of course with lockdown) when they're having a few and I have a few alcohol free with them and have the chats and craic. (this may not suit some I know)

I dunno what I'm trying to say, just that, fair play for letting me read this thread and have an insight into stopping drink over the years.

I was never in dire straights with regard to drink, and can't claim to have any big war story. But, my mental health is definitely better.

I think I just realised this evening that I've been off it a while now, but still feel tremendous guilt for the reason I went off it. I want to learn from it and move on. And I think I am. I hope to be what those of you on here are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

Lovely post Get Real, am happy for you. I admire anyone who can see the writing on the wall after one cringe/painful incident. Shows great character and I hope you are kind and forgiving to yourself going forward. It's no small thing to have the courage to be this honest with yourself.

Btw: I am sober many years now, and I am in NO WAY "anti-drink". I just understand and accept that after a long love-hate affair, (filled with so many of the type of incidents you described that I'd be ashamed to list them tbh) , drink and me had to go our separate ways.
    It's an absolute uplift to know that there's someone out there who decided to take a different path while there was yet time to do so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Get Real

Amazingfun wrote: »
    Lovely post Get Real, am happy for you. I admire anyone who can see the writing on the wall after one cringe/painful incident. Shows great character and I hope you are kind and forgiving to yourself going forward. It's no small thing to have the courage to be this honest with yourself.

Btw: I am sober many years now, and I am in NO WAY "anti-drink". I just understand and accept that after a long love-hate affair, (filled with so many of the type of incidents you described that I'd be ashamed to list them tbh) , drink and me had to go our separate ways.
    It's an absolute uplift to know that there's someone out there who decided to take a different path while there was yet time to do so :)

Thank you so much. You summed it up perfectly. Absolute pleasure to read your words.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭drydub

Get Real wrote: »
    Just popping by to say, fair play to everyone in this thread, contributing for almost a decade in total. Each and every one of you.

I have no idea where this is coming from. I sometimes read this thread as a drinker, just out of curiosity. I never had a massive problem with drink.

But, I did something I am deeply sorry for, where drink played a factor. As a result, I am off it 6 months. I wasn't intending on going this long, and I am not anti drink. I like to meet my friends (not now of course with lockdown) when they're having a few and I have a few alcohol free with them and have the chats and craic. (this may not suit some I know)

I dunno what I'm trying to say, just that, fair play for letting me read this thread and have an insight into stopping drink over the years.

I was never in dire straights with regard to drink, and can't claim to have any big war story. But, my mental health is definitely better.

I think I just realised this evening that I've been off it a while now, but still feel tremendous guilt for the reason I went off it. I want to learn from it and move on. And I think I am. I hope to be what those of you on here are.

Nicely put!

At times when i think about how i thought life was better with drink, i just come on here and read my own posts. Initially the ones a few years ago and try to remember and understand what was going on in my head and i just dont feel that way anymore.

I enjoy sitting on the sidelines and seeing people post here occasionally because it just helps refocus my attention and why i started this, again quite similar to you an 'incident' that wasnt a rock bottom, but now that i think about it, maybe it was *my* rock bottom. A series of silly incidents that only happened because i was drunk.

Enjoy the time and clarity and long may it continue :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

I am now 95 days sober. 76% of my days since 25 April have been sober but I am clear that this needs to be 100% going forward.

• Advertisement

150 days today, decent ring to it.

5-month anniversary this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭bewareofthedog

Weekend binge drinker. 3 weeks off it today, I've saved a lot and added productivity in a passion of mine which also helps financially. Do a 20-30 minute walk each night and for the most part have been eating decently.

Mental health isn't great, very bad anxiety and brain fog but I know it will get better over time. Christmas will be a big test but how wonderful it would be to into a fresh new year with things looking up.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭global23214124

Nearly 5 weeks since touching a drop. Going to try make it through the Christmas without indulging and see how it goes.

Christmas will be a big test but how wonderful it would be to into a fresh new year with things looking up.

Nice one. That's a thought that will help me with temptations the next two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Tinwhistle*

Great encouragement, and it's do-able! This is my third sober Christmas and I can't wait to tick it off. Best advice I can give is to take one hour/one day at a time and keep busy. Focus on other things and you'll get through.
    BK92 wrote: »
    It's coming up to Christmas, friends and family are planning to come home, it's getting colder, wetter and darker outside, everyone's going through the supermarket brochures to see what they're going to stock up on for Christmas etc.

I find the temptation is particularly strong now, a drink beside the roaring fire, something to have with the Christmas dinner "Ah sure you might as well for the day that's in it", 'specially/exclusively selected' wines and spirits that we won't see for the rest of the year, sure we might as well splurge and have a proper blow out ? New year, new me, right ?

Stand firm folks, go mad with decorations, pig out with a takeaway watching the Toy Show, buy the most expensive scallops and smoked salmon starters for the Christmas dinner you wouldn't have dreamt of buying before, go for a good walk on Christmas eve after watching the Guinness Christmas Ad, whatever you choose to do, do it without a glass in the other hand and it'll be the best Christmas yet !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭riddles

First Xmas day in 29 years booze free, no drink in 5 and a half weeks. Good luck to all

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭costacorta

This is my 19 th Xmas alcohol free , Don’t really get any compulsions to drink but remember the first few Xmas and found it difficult with Xmas parties etc . I think it’s all about getting new hobbies, keeping yourself busy and enjoying the simple things in life . Best of luck to anyone who are trying to stop and remember it’s not the 10 th pint that’s the problem it is always the first one ..

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Etc

I've offered Chauffeur services to family today which removes all temptation. Happy Christmas to everyone and I hope your day goes well

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

123 days today, don't really like Christmas, don't think I ever have but at least I'm sober :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭costacorta

petes wrote: »
    123 days today, don't really like Christmas, don't think I ever have but at least I'm sober :)

That’s a lot of days Pete , At the start for some we have to keep it in the hour but then it’s all keeping it to today . For me it’s not about the length of my absence it’s about the quality of it . Happy Xmas and enjoy your day ..

Advertisement