Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tefl in South Korea

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I didn't get it unfortunately, not sure as to the reason, they don't give feedback as to why :(

• Registered Users Posts: 40 angryangel

Help!

So I got a job at a school in X city, got on my flight and was met at the airport by a pick up driver. Instead of going to X, he took me to Y. Turns out my school (a chain) had moved my campus without telling me or consulting me, mid-flight.

The reason. The head teacher did a midnight run because, as I've found out, things here are pretty bad. The foreign teachers are mostly unhappy and many are planning to bail soon. Going into the specific problems would take a long time, but they range from the director having some kind of issue with the foreign teachers over them not working longer hours outside their contract, to communication being so bad that the first team meeting of the semester just broke down into a shouting match between the foreign and Korean staff.

I've contacted the recruiter and told them, they said they'd get in touch with head office but no word since. Talked to the director to ask what the heck was going on, may as well have spoken to a wall.

Worst part is I'm a first time teacher, trying my best to learn fast but the foreign teachers are so busy they can't really help much despite their best efforts and their is no structure in place to help or guide me. Add the **** atmosphere and politics and I've basically ended up in a mess that I had no way to prepare for, at a school I never agreed to go to.

So with that all out there, any ideas WTF to do? It's been 10 days and I'm totally overwhelmed. My options seem to be:

1) Knuckle down and hope it gets better (unlikely)
    2) Midnight run (really don't want to do this, won't do this unless the situation gets worse, if that could happen)
    3) Ask for transfer to another school (preferably the one I agreed to go to)
    4) Ask for letter of release and try to find another job, either now or in 6 months (the difference is whether I get my airfare, but at this point I just want to learn how to teach without this crazy atmosphere.)

Any ideas/similar experiences/advice? All input appreciated.

Wow, that's awful. Who is your recruiter ? school ?
    option 3 sounds like the best option, as it was the school you agreed to go to.

I don't know if bailing/midnight run would jeopardise your visa etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

angryangel wrote: »
    Help!

So I got a job at a school in X city, got on my flight and was met at the airport by a pick up driver. Instead of going to X, he took me to Y. Turns out my school (a chain) had moved my campus without telling me or consulting me, mid-flight.

The reason. The head teacher did a midnight run because, as I've found out, things here are pretty bad. The foreign teachers are mostly unhappy and many are planning to bail soon. Going into the specific problems would take a long time, but they range from the director having some kind of issue with the foreign teachers over them not working longer hours outside their contract, to communication being so bad that the first team meeting of the semester just broke down into a shouting match between the foreign and Korean staff.

I've contacted the recruiter and told them, they said they'd get in touch with head office but no word since. Talked to the director to ask what the heck was going on, may as well have spoken to a wall.

Worst part is I'm a first time teacher, trying my best to learn fast but the foreign teachers are so busy they can't really help much despite their best efforts and their is no structure in place to help or guide me. Add the **** atmosphere and politics and I've basically ended up in a mess that I had no way to prepare for, at a school I never agreed to go to.

So with that all out there, any ideas WTF to do? It's been 10 days and I'm totally overwhelmed. My options seem to be:

1) Knuckle down and hope it gets better (unlikely)
    2) Midnight run (really don't want to do this, won't do this unless the situation gets worse, if that could happen)
    3) Ask for transfer to another school (preferably the one I agreed to go to)
    4) Ask for letter of release and try to find another job, either now or in 6 months (the difference is whether I get my airfare, but at this point I just want to learn how to teach without this crazy atmosphere.)

Any ideas/similar experiences/advice? All input appreciated.

OK, first thing is to stay calm. Easier said than done but try your best. Worrying will not change a thing. Korea is a very overwhelming place anyway, especially when you've only arrived! Second thing is do not listen to other teachers, Korea is like a meeting place of English teachers who just love to moan.

For the time being just try and get on with teaching. Google activities for your age group or go on to Dave's cafe. Games, games, games! Kids love games. Picture games, word games, reading games. Make it fun. Oh and Korean kids loveeeee candy so maybe a little point system to keep them interested and the winner at the end of the week gets candy! It will keep them interested and they'll love you for it. Little stickers are great too. Dont mind them when they keep saying babo! Just say ang-ja!

Your co-teacher is there to help you, pull her aside and say its your first time and that you would would really appreciate the help. How old are the students? Communication between bosses and foreigners is nearly always bad so maybe you just need to get used to that I'm afraid!

What hours were you contracted to work and how many extra do they want you to do? Changing schools is something that I've heard of happening a lot because of new owners, change of premises etc etc.. Did they move you to a complete different city? Get on to them ASAP about your flight money, tell them thats the money you need to live until you get paid. Your passport is very important, they might ask for it so they can do your alien card but there's no need for them to hold on to it for longer than a couple of days.

The recruiter probably won't care, they got paid for finding you and now their job is finished.

Out of your options I'd go with 1 until the dust settles and then ask about what happened with the original school. Under no circumstances would I ask for a release letter. Koreans take things pretty personally and that might severely backfire. Forget about doing a runner for the moment, see if things settle and if you get paid on time and get all you airfire by your first paycheck.

Stay calm, drink some soju (have one for me because I really miss it :( ) It really is an amazing place with some really great people, it just takes some getting used to but after that and when you're settled it will be grand. :)

Oh crazy and Korea sort of go hand in hand. Everything changes last min and you will be the last to know and it's frustrating and annoying at the start but as the months go on you'll look back and laugh and think what a crazy focked up beautiful country Korea can be.

Enjoy. Anything else just ask. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭camoramo

Just out of curiousity which recruiter was it? Cause almost the same thing happened me, got a job in one hagwon in one place, that fell through when I got to Korea, then my recruiter got me a job in the same chain in a different city. Although my hagwon now is a great new building with super smart kids but all of the foreign teachers hated it and half left early. I thought about it too but I'm still her 10months later. Its funny cause what they thought was bad at the time was actually nothing its gotten so much worse but its water off a ducks back at this stage and I'm fine. How is the school doing financially? It could be quite risky to stay if they're going downhill...

Thanks for the advice Billy. My situation has become slightly more informed since today.

I will be applying for the ARC starting tomorrow. Should be 2-3 weeks waiting. So this gives me time to see how things play out. I was told today that once I get the ARC, I could in theory put my notice in, work it, then get a new job. As long as I have the ARC and a letter of release, I can just transfer my visa to a new school, rather then have to leave the country to come back in again. Does this sound right to everyone? Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated.
    camoramo wrote: »
    Just out of curiousity which recruiter was it? Cause almost the same thing happened me, got a job in one hagwon in one place, that fell through when I got to Korea, then my recruiter got me a job in the same chain in a different city. Although my hagwon now is a great new building with super smart kids but all of the foreign teachers hated it and half left early. I thought about it too but I'm still her 10months later. Its funny cause what they thought was bad at the time was actually nothing its gotten so much worse but its water off a ducks back at this stage and I'm fine. How is the school doing financially? It could be quite risky to stay if they're going downhill...

School is fine financially, lots of kids so no worries. Also a corporate school for a franchise so unlikely to go full graveyard.

The recruiter was ATC. Very unhappy with this, as they have a good reputation and were very friendly and all throughout the hunt, but this has left a bad taste in mouth. I raised my upset with them last week, no word since.

As mentioned, the recruiter probably doesn't give a flyer now. This has happened to you? I sympathise. Stay frosty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Thanks for the advice Billy. My situation has become slightly more informed since today.

I will be applying for the ARC starting tomorrow. Should be 2-3 weeks waiting. So this gives me time to see how things play out. I was told today that once I get the ARC, I could in theory put my notice in, work it, then get a new job. As long as I have the ARC and a letter of release, I can just transfer my visa to a new school, rather then have to leave the country to come back in again. Does this sound right to everyone? Any insight on this would be greatly appreciated.

School is fine financially, lots of kids so no worries. Also a corporate school for a franchise so unlikely to go full graveyard.

The recruiter was ATC. Very unhappy with this, as they have a good reputation and were very friendly and all throughout the hunt, but this has left a bad taste in mouth. I raised my upset with them last week, no word since.

As mentioned, the recruiter probably doesn't give a flyer now. This has happened to you? I sympathise. Stay frosty.

Hey! OK well I'm back about 14 months now so my info might be a bit dated because the visa rules are always changing. Firstly, when I was there if you left or you were fired from your original school your visa got cancelled. The school own your visa and I think there was a minimum amount of time that you had to spend out of Korea before you could go back. Its very very tricky how it works so if I were you I'd be 110% before you decide to hand your notice in. Of course the school might give you a letter of release but I heard they can be hard to come by because they have paid a lot of expense to get you there.. Also, a passport with different stamps from entry and re-entry (I'm pretty certain you have to do a visa run) to Korea then it might look bad to your next employer. So just be careful. Any korean friends that you could trust? Something like this the language barrier could be a pain and things can easily get lost in translation, especially coming from your school!!

How is your apartment and stuff? Did they give you details of flight money and first pay? What city are you in?

Forget about the recruiter now, I doubt they could do much now anyway. Is there a middle person between the director and the native teachers? They are usually excellent English speakers and early 20's females.

No, nothing happened me until it was time to go home and then it was the school but I refused to back down and it all worked out, eventually!!

Hi,

- Apartment is fine, no problems.
    - Bank account is set up and first pay day is 10th of next month.
    - No mention of flight, in all hoensty I have written it off because if I do try to go or switch schools I lose it anyway.
    - I'm in Ansan, was told I'd go to Bundang for training then Yongin for the job. Ended up here because the teacher did a midnight run.

So I have to wait for this ARC anyway. I've been told by my co-teachers the process would go:

1. Get ARC.
    2. Put in 2 month notice.
    3. Find a job during the notice period.
    4. Tell a new employer you have put your notice in and will be getting a letter of release.
    5. Employer tells Immigration they are taking your visa, you fill out some paperwork then you can start work at the new job.

Does this sound right? Or will there be a visa run required to start a new job?

Any insight appreciated, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Nascimento

Hello!

Anybody looking for a new job in a hagwon in Suwon (about an hour South of Seoul), PM me and I'll pass you on the details.

Thanks! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

Hi,

- Apartment is fine, no problems.
    - Bank account is set up and first pay day is 10th of next month.
    - No mention of flight, in all hoensty I have written it off because if I do try to go or switch schools I lose it anyway.
    - I'm in Ansan, was told I'd go to Bundang for training then Yongin for the job. Ended up here because the teacher did a midnight run.

So I have to wait for this ARC anyway. I've been told by my co-teachers the process would go:

1. Get ARC.
    2. Put in 2 month notice.
    3. Find a job during the notice period.
    4. Tell a new employer you have put your notice in and will be getting a letter of release.
    5. Employer tells Immigration they are taking your visa, you fill out some paperwork then you can start work at the new job.

Does this sound right? Or will there be a visa run required to start a new job?

Any insight appreciated, thanks.

You have to make sure that your employer will actually provide you with a letter of release. They don't have to give you one if they don't want.

I used ATC too!! Seems very fishy.. not to worry though you're in Korea so you'd find another job easily if you're not tied in with arc yet.

Also, once I got my visa they couldn't care less. While I was looking for job they'd call all the time. To be honest I don't think my school paid the recruitment fee and they don't use recruiters anymore.

camoramo wrote: »
    I used ATC too!! Seems very fishy.. not to worry though you're in Korea so you'd find another job easily if you're not tied in with arc yet.

Thanks for the input camoramo. I'm a little confused though, is it better to have or not have the ARC. I was taken to immigration today to apply for it, will get it mid July. Will having it through this school help or hinder me?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Kaz88

Hi All

Does anyone know how long the process by recruiter takes to get the visa on their side
    And also how long it takes within the Embassy in Ireland to collect Visa?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

Just got a call from my recruiter, apparently I need to go to the Department of Foreign Affairs to get my BA, MA and garda clearance apostilled?

He said it would cost FORTY EURO per document?!

Does anyone know anything about this, he said there's one on South Mall St in Cork?

This whole process has cost me a ridiculous sum of money so far... :mad:

• Advertisement

ivytwine wrote: »
    Just got a call from my recruiter, apparently I need to go to the Department of Foreign Affairs to get my BA, MA and garda clearance apostilled?

He said it would cost FORTY EURO per document?!

Does anyone know anything about this, he said there's one on South Mall St in Cork?

This whole process has cost me a ridiculous sum of money so far... :mad:

Yeah, I had to get it all done too.

Your BA/MA needs to get notarised (by a public notary €10)....then apostilled.
    Your Garda check needs to get apostilled

And yeah, Apostilles are done at the Dept of Foreign affairs, not sure how/where it's done down in Cork, it's by Stephens Green here in Dublin and as you mentioned, it's €40 per document

Who is your recruiter btw, and how have you found them ? I've been trying to go through Footprints as I found them the most helpful and friendly by a long stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 net86

Hey guys. There is a job available at my hagwon in Geoje starting A.S.A.P if anyone is interested in a job. Our last teacher just finished her contract and we had another teacher lined up. However, he has been offered a job back home in America that will allow him to pay his way to grad school. He will more than likely take that job offer. If anyone is looking a for a job feel free to contact me :)

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Yeah, I had to get it all done too.

Your BA/MA needs to get notarised (by a public notary €10)....then apostilled.
    Your Garda check needs to get apostilled

And yeah, Apostilles are done at the Dept of Foreign affairs, not sure how/where it's done down in Cork, it's by Stephens Green here in Dublin and as you mentioned, it's €40 per document

Who is your recruiter btw, and how have you found them ? I've been trying to go through Footprints as I found them the most helpful and friendly by a long stretch.

Hey Sean, sorry was offline there. I'm going thru reach to teach. They're grand like. Are you going for a private school or thru EPIK?

Ugh such a balls having to pay so much money for a couple of rubber stamps! Thanks again I better forgo my social life for the next couple of weeks to get this sorted!

ivytwine wrote: »
    Hey Sean, sorry was offline there. I'm going thru reach to teach. They're grand like. Are you going for a private school or thru EPIK?

Ugh such a balls having to pay so much money for a couple of rubber stamps! Thanks again I better forgo my social life for the next couple of weeks to get this sorted!

Try to get it all in 1 go. I managed to get my transcripts off the College, Police cert notarised/apostilled and my Degree apostilled all in the one day.
    The longest thing for me was waiting on my police cert...oh...and still waiting on my CELTA cert...8 weeks later.

I'm tryin a few different places.
    I have an interview with Chungnam POE at 2am ...so hopefully that goes well.

With regards to the interview, anyone who has already done one for EPIK...what kind of answers did you give for you ?

-What are some cultural differences you may encounter etc ?
    and
    -What do you do if there is a child who refuses to participate or learn ?

I'm already out of practice at interviews, as I worked for 8 years and only had my first interview about 3 weeks ago, and it being at 2am in front of a webcam doesn't help me either. So any help with the above 2 questions please, as I can see the answers relating to them being important.

Try to get it all in 1 go. I managed to get my transcripts off the College, Police cert notarised/apostilled and my Degree apostilled all in the one day.
    The longest thing for me was waiting on my police cert...oh...and still waiting on my CELTA cert...8 weeks later.

I'm tryin a few different places.
    I have an interview with Chungnam POE at 2am ...so hopefully that goes well.

With regards to the interview, anyone who has already done one for EPIK...what kind of answers did you give for you ?

-What are some cultural differences you may encounter etc ?
    and
    -What do you do if there is a child who refuses to participate or learn ?

I'm already out of practice at interviews, as I worked for 8 years and only had my first interview about 3 weeks ago, and it being at 2am in front of a webcam doesn't help me either. So any help with the above 2 questions please, as I can see the answers relating to them being important.

Well I also have my finger in a pie for Japan, I'll find out about that on Sunday :)

Thanks tho Sean, kinda feels like trial and error with all those forms. Waiting on my transcript from my MA, that particular college is a joke :/

As regards the questions, I really focused on what Ireland and Korea had in common rather than didn't. Like family values, sense if community, I may have mentioned tea! I think they just want to make sure that you're not gonna run crying to the airport so loads of talk about how you're prepared for things to be different, but you know there'll be commonalities too.

As for the child discipline one, I messed that up in my practice. DON'T say you'd isolate the child or talk to them after class; that's a last resort. Say something like you'd talk clearly and calmly to the child, saying "we don't do that here" etc. also giving a child a job like handing out sheets or something can give them the attention they want. Don't say you'd shout or raise your voice. From what I can gather, things are different in Asia with kids, in that they probably would dream of pulling some of the stunts western kids do, so therefore disiclpline is gentler.

Hoe this helps!

• Advertisement

*hope obv. Damn you autocorrect!

Can anyone recommend a good masters degree to do by distance learning that doesn't require two years teaching experience?

Was looking at the University of Birmingham but the course seems to have disappeared :/

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Eliza Lynch

Hi All,

I am the beginning of this process...
    Just wondering how much this all costs?
    I have TEFL but going through a recruiter etc I have been quoted €805 all in...is this competitive?

Thank you

Hi All,

I am the beginning of this process...
    Just wondering how much this all costs?
    I have TEFL but going through a recruiter etc I have been quoted €805 all in...is this competitive?

Thank you

805 for what exactly Eliza ? , you don't pay recruiters

• Registered Users Posts: 9 CailinDeas33

Hi All

Have a couple of questions about the current application process, so if anyone has gone through it recently it would be good to know.

Bit of background, I taught in Korea a couple of years ago so pretty much know the drill, but things often change with the process.

1) Is it still necessary to get sealed transcripts? I got them done last time, but didn't actually need them. But I heard of some people who were told to get them done (Incidentally, I still have the sealed transcripts from last time, but the date on the seal is nearly three years old. Too long ago I guess???)

2) I guess I have to get a copy of my degree apostilled again? Right? Obviously I got this done last time, so was just wondering is there any way around having to do it again?

3) The dreaded police cert. I have been living in the UK for the past year. So do I need to get two different police certs? One for Ireland? One for the UK? Has anyone on here ever applied from the UK and if so, how long did the process take?

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Hi All

Have a couple of questions about the current application process, so if anyone has gone through it recently it would be good to know.

Bit of background, I taught in Korea a couple of years ago so pretty much know the drill, but things often change with the process.

1) Is it still necessary to get sealed transcripts? I got them done last time, but didn't actually need them. But I heard of some people who were told to get them done (Incidentally, I still have the sealed transcripts from last time, but the date on the seal is nearly three years old. Too long ago I guess???)

2) I guess I have to get a copy of my degree apostilled again? Right? Obviously I got this done last time, so was just wondering is there any way around having to do it again?

3) The dreaded police cert. I have been living in the UK for the past year. So do I need to get two different police certs? One for Ireland? One for the UK? Has anyone on here ever applied from the UK and if so, how long did the process take?

Hi Cailin,

1) I got here 6 weeks ago. I brought 3 sets of sealed transcripts and no-one asked for them at any point, not the school, the recruiter or immigration. I guess it's possible schools may want them to confirm your qualifications but as far as I know no government department needs them per se.

2) No way around the apostille as far as I know. More experienced hands here may have an idea.

3) I'm from Belfast, so technically a UK citizen but I travel on an Irish passport cause I consider myself Irish. I was worried at the time that I'd need a Gardai check cause of the passport but the local NI one I got worked fine. I'd say where ever you have a fixed address or have lived longest is probably the best place to get it. Your only in the UK one year? Probably more appropriate to get an Irish one. Example, Disclosure Scotland state that if you have not lived at your address for at least one year, you can only apply through a paper form (?)

Whole process, from getting the check to getting it apostilled, took little over 3 weeks. Majority of the wait will be applying for the check (7 -10 days), and waiting for the apostille (anything up to 2 weeks at the very worst.)

Good luck.

Thanks a lot Angry Angel. I hope you are having fun over there!!

I know that getting the transcripts (if necessary) and getting the degree apostilled will only take a short time, not so worried about that, just want to make sure I do the right thing regarding my police cert. When I got my last one done I was living in Ireland but had some foreign addresses in the past. These were listed on my form. The Gardai just stated that I had no convictions etc while living in Ireland (no reference to my foreign addresses). Anyway, might just get the Irish one done, but if anyone else has any further input on the matter, it would be great to hear from you :-)

Hey All, wondering if anyone could help with this.

I'll be travelling to Korea on Tuesday, so I'll arrive Wednesday.
    My contract date though was Monday the 15th , however the NOE didn't arrive till the 8th, I brought it to the Embassy on the 9th, told it takes 5 working days....so therefore I can't make the 15th and will arrive on the 17th.

My question is, what would I expect to be the actual start date, or is there orientation first etc, who helps you set up your bank account ?
    Surely the proposed Monday start date wouldn't be an actual start due to Jetlag and settling in time... ?

I'm going through Footprints, and the job is a public teacher in Chungnam, but it can be hard getting info when going through an intermediary.
    They still haven't given me all the information on who will pick me up and where etc, and contacting Korea at night is a nightmare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

Hey All, wondering if anyone could help with this.

I'll be travelling to Korea on Tuesday, so I'll arrive Wednesday.
    My contract date though was Monday the 15th , however the NOE didn't arrive till the 8th, I brought it to the Embassy on the 9th, told it takes 5 working days....so therefore I can't make the 15th and will arrive on the 17th.

My question is, what would I expect to be the actual start date, or is there orientation first etc, who helps you set up your bank account ?
    Surely the proposed Monday start date wouldn't be an actual start due to Jetlag and settling in time... ?

I'm going through Footprints, and the job is a public teacher in Chungnam, but it can be hard getting info when going through an intermediary.
    They still haven't given me all the information on who will pick me up and where etc, and contacting Korea at night is a nightmare.

Would you're recruiter be able to tell you?

Truley wrote: »
    Would you're recruiter be able to tell you?

Hey Truley,

Should have posted earlier, I'll be arriving there Wednesday evening, spending the night in Seoul. Then heading off to my school on Thursday.
    Hopefully they don't expect me to start immediately...what with being jetlagged etc :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12 ryanfm

Not teaching but thought this would be of interest to people here.

mods move if it's not appropriate.

Is there anyone here (in Korea) who was/is a software engineer/front-end developer (web and/or mobile) (html/css/sass etc) and is looking for a full-time IT job in Korea ? Formal qualification not necessary but you should have experience and/or be able to show previous work.

Korean is not necessary. Also, if you have any Korean friends who can speak basic English and would be interested in this job that'd be great too.

Can you pm me if interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Gemma88

Hi guys, have to say the thread is just brilliant. I think I know everything about the application process and basically getting started, thanks :)

I just have a few quick questions:

Is it difficult getting a job in Seoul? It's where I would like to teach because I want to be near a friend who went out there 2 weeks ago (she's Korean herself).

Obviously, a TEFL course is necessary. I went to I-to-i.com and I even got a call from one of their operatives. He says the 120 hour course is sufficient as employers, in Asia especially, look for minimum 100 hours. I was just wondering if i-to-i is a trustworthy site? Last thing I want to be doing is splashing the cash on a useless qualification :o

Also, I'm a qualified teacher, and have 25 weeks teaching experience. I also gave plenty of help to my Korean friend when she was learning English here, so I suppose I'll be putting down on my CV that I was a tutor! Will this help me get a job, or does it really matter what degree you have (I have a Bachelor of Education)?

Sorry for the really long post :o Ye guys are really helpful as it is, so any feedback is much appreciated! Thanks very much!!

Hi All

I've posted here before, am in the early stages of the process of organising a move to Korea.

As previously mentioned, I've already been to Korea before as a teacher so am not a novice on the matter but am aware of how the application process can change over time. Anyway, I would appreciate if anyone who has gone over recently can confirm the following points I have highlighted below.

1. I need a police cert signed and stamped by my Local Superintendent. Right? I don't need any further notarisation on this, right? I just need an apostille?

2. Regarding my police cert (I have mentioned this before but thought I would mention it again) ........... I am currently in the UK, have been here for just over a year but obviously the majority of my address history is in Ireland. I contacted the Korean embassy in Dublin (and London) and asked if I should get an Irish or UK cert and they said it would depend on your employer. I've already got my Irish one (within days incidentally), but am wondering if anyone has been in a similar predicament to me in this regard. I know getting DBS checks in the UK can take a lot of time (sometimes up to 6 weeks) so am a bit worried about this?? Also, if I were to get a police check here I'm wondering do I even need to get the DBS check or is a local Police Cert required? I've read multiple accounts and the embassy can't confirm this either (It's all quite frustrating as I really need to have my documents good to go when applying for jobs)

3. I need a photocopy of my degree notarised and apostilled?

4. I have a Latin degree. I never got it translated last time (and this wasn't an issue). Has anyone had any problems with this recently?

5. I need sealed transcripts? (Perhaps not necessary, but people seem to be getting them still just in case)

Thanks

Hi All

1. I need a police cert signed and stamped by my Local Superintendent. Right? I don't need any further notarisation on this, right? I just need an apostille?

2. Regarding my police cert (I have mentioned this before but thought I would mention it again) ........... I am currently in the UK, have been here for just over a year but obviously the majority of my address history is in Ireland. I contacted the Korean embassy in Dublin (and London) and asked if I should get an Irish or UK cert and they said it would depend on your employer. I've already got my Irish one (within days incidentally), but am wondering if anyone has been in a similar predicament to me in this regard. I know getting DBS checks in the UK can take a lot of time (sometimes up to 6 weeks) so am a bit worried about this?? Also, if I were to get a police check here I'm wondering do I even need to get the DBS check or is a local Police Cert required? I've read multiple accounts and the embassy can't confirm this either (It's all quite frustrating as I really need to have my documents good to go when applying for jobs)

3. I need a photocopy of my degree notarised and apostilled?

4. I have a Latin degree. I never got it translated last time (and this wasn't an issue). Has anyone had any problems with this recently?

5. I need sealed transcripts? (Perhaps not necessary, but people seem to be getting them still just in case)

Thanks

1. Yes, just the Apostille on the Police check,

2. Is there any way they would know you were in the UK for a year ? You could probably just get all the Irish paperwork done...I can't think of a way they could check

3. A copy of your Degree is notarised (not the original) by a public notary (puts a stamp on it). Then this is apostilled

4. I had my Irish version of my surname on my degree, I needed this changed into English. I'd assume that if your name is on there matching up to the rest it should be ok. But not to sure on this, would the layman know it was a degree....as in is ALL the writing in Latin ?

5. Transcripts, Sealed in my case meant the college envelope that wasn't opened is all. There was no special wax seal or anything. But I requested that they put on a college stamp on all the pages and the outside of the college envelope.
    I sent off 2 copies with my documents

Also, make photocopies of everything once you get them, notarised documents etc (1.just in case, and 2. for your own benefit ) I needed to send off copies of mine

Gemma88 wrote: »
    Hi guys, have to say the thread is just brilliant. I think I know everything about the application process and basically getting started, thanks :)

I just have a few quick questions:

Is it difficult getting a job in Seoul? It's where I would like to teach because I want to be near a friend who went out there 2 weeks ago (she's Korean herself).

Obviously, a TEFL course is necessary. I went to I-to-i.com and I even got a call from one of their operatives. He says the 120 hour course is sufficient as employers, in Asia especially, look for minimum 100 hours. I was just wondering if i-to-i is a trustworthy site? Last thing I want to be doing is splashing the cash on a useless qualification :o

Also, I'm a qualified teacher, and have 25 weeks teaching experience. I also gave plenty of help to my Korean friend when she was learning English here, so I suppose I'll be putting down on my CV that I was a tutor! Will this help me get a job, or does it really matter what degree you have (I have a Bachelor of Education)?

Sorry for the really long post :o Ye guys are really helpful as it is, so any feedback is much appreciated! Thanks very much!!
    Anyone??

Just wondering if I-to-I is reputable, and if my teaching degree plus the TEFL will help me get a good job? I'm hoping to go over quite soon if possible, but would only like to teach in Seoul, preferably in the Gyeonggi-do province. Any feedback is appreciate, thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Carles Puyol

Anyone??

Just wondering if I-to-I is reputable, and if my teaching degree plus the TEFL will help me get a good job? I'm hoping to go over quite soon if possible, but would only like to teach in Seoul, preferably in the Gyeonggi-do province. Any feedback is appreciate, thanks guys.
    Just having read this thread I know that a teaching degree and a TEFL course would be more than most people seem to have, certainly in relation to actually teaching! But haven't a clue if it will help but would assume it would, I think the regulars would be able to provide you with more info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

Anyone??

That is definitely enough! :D A teaching degree. That is the best thing to have under your belt. The TEFL is just for extra cash and it can show how to make the teaching a bit more practical and fun, unless your teaching degree was like that. :p

red_bairn wrote: »
    That is definitely enough! :D A teaching degree. That is the best thing to have under your belt. The TEFL is just for extra cash and it can show how to make the teaching a bit more practical and fun, unless your teaching degree was like that. :p
    Thanks! Hopefully it'll be enough to hold out for a job in an area that I would like to teach in (so I can be close to a friend).

Anyone know what sites are reputable for TEFL courses?? There seems to be a hundred different sites doing them, so I'm just a bit worried at throwing money away!

Thanks guys!

I think they're all pretty much the same.

I got mine on a voucher from groupon!

• Advertisement

Nascimento wrote: »
    I think they're all pretty much the same.

I got mine on a voucher from groupon!
    That's the vibe I've been getting alright but I just wanted to make sure I suppose! Yea, I've been searching the various sites where they offer deals but I can't find one. Might wait a few weeks yet and it nothing pops up I'll just go for it. Sounds like I have enough to apply for a job anyway, but I wouldn't have a clue how to teach English as a foreign language to a class!

That's the vibe I've been getting alright but I just wanted to make sure I suppose! Yea, I've been searching the various sites where they offer deals but I can't find one. Might wait a few weeks yet and it nothing pops up I'll just go for it. Sounds like I have enough to apply for a job anyway, but I wouldn't have a clue how to teach English as a foreign language to a class!

Most people don't! But you'll pick it up pretty quickly.

These are the proper courses that are more recognised. What I should have done. But it's a one month intensive course. It's advised to not work at all during this (full or part-time).

These are the proper courses that are more recognised. What I should have done. But it's a one month intensive course. It's advised to not work at all during this (full or part-time).
    From what I've read in this thread there seems to be no advantage taking a CELTA, I know it's undoubtedly a better course but to spend that money for something that won't be of much help is just something I can't afford!

What are the advantages though? As I said I have a B. Ed and have over 20 weeks teaching practice, will it really benefit me much more than a TEFL course for almost 10 times the price? If it does I would consider saving up for it, but it seems awful unnecessary when the only requirement is a degree!
    Nascimento wrote: »
    Most people don't! But you'll pick it up pretty quickly.
    I probably will, but some one said there's 13 tenses in the English language:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: I could probably name 6 at a push!

From what I've read in this thread there seems to be no advantage taking a CELTA, I know it's undoubtedly a better course but to spend that money for something that won't be of much help is just something I can't afford!

What are the advantages though? As I said I have a B. Ed and have over 20 weeks teaching practice, will it really benefit me much more than a TEFL course for almost 10 times the price? If it does I would consider saving up for it, but it seems awful unnecessary when the only requirement is a degree!

I probably will, but some one said there's 13 tenses in the English language:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: I could probably name 6 at a push!

It is drilled into you better, I'd reckon, but also a well-known certified course. But yeah, people are right on here, there is no more of a difference when it comes to the pay. You will get paid the same as having an i-to-i certificate. The fact that you have over 20 weeks teaching practice is awesome and you will probably be more at ease than I was when I started (more confident) :D. If you want the best certificate, go for CELTA. But tbh, you have the teaching experience so I'd go for a simple enough course rather than CELTA. If you had a Masters Degree, you could earn more and even teach in universities. :)

"there's 13 tenses in the English language"

It is drilled into you better, I'd reckon, but also a well-known certified course. But yeah, people are right on here, there is no more of a difference when it comes to the pay. You will get paid the same as having an i-to-i certificate. The fact that you have over 20 weeks teaching practice is awesome and you will probably be more at ease than I was when I started (more confident) :D. If you want the best certificate, go for CELTA. But tbh, you have the teaching experience so I'd go for a simple enough course rather than CELTA. If you had a Masters Degree, you could earn more and even teach in universities. :)

"there's 13 tenses in the English language"
    I think it's best for my bank account that I stick with TEFL so! And God, I have no interest in teaching at a university! Working with children is my "passion", as cheesy as that sounds:o

God!! I had imperfect and conditional as 2 of the 6.. That's crazy, really looking forward to learning all this though, and eventually teaching it! Should be a great experience, I just hope all the jobs don't dry up by the time I apply, seems to be a gradual decline in teaching offers according to people on here!

• Advertisement

Anyone here ever go on the working holiday visa before (or knows anyone that did)?

Work should be incidental according to the conditions, and I'm not permitted to teach, but I was wondering if anyone ever went and taught for 3 months? I do plan on going again (hopefully on an E-2) so I don't want to do anything that may jeopardise that. If teaching isn't really an option what other jobs might be viable? I heard the minimum wage is quite low, but I was looking for job that would keep me going for 3 months as I'm still in college atm, and getting money for the flights and visa will be difficult enough.

Anyone here ever go on the working holiday visa before (or knows anyone that did)?

Work should be incidental according to the conditions, and I'm not permitted to teach, but I was wondering if anyone ever went and taught for 3 months? I do plan on going again (hopefully on an E-2) so I don't want to do anything that may jeopardise that. If teaching isn't really an option what other jobs might be viable? I heard the minimum wage is quite low, but I was looking for job that would keep me going for 3 months as I'm still in college atm, and getting money for the flights and visa will be difficult enough.

Teaching illegally is your only option. I know an Ozzie who did it. But I'm not saying its the best idea. I wouldn't travel over there for that length of time for anything less than a teaching job.

Teaching illegally is your only option. I know an Ozzie who did it. But I'm not saying its the best idea. I wouldn't travel over there for that length of time for anything less than a teaching job.

Was thinking that alright, I've a few contacts in Korea and they've told me getting a job teaching won't be too difficult even without a degree, but I'm just a bit apprehensive about getting caught. I actually do want to move there permanently some day so if I get caught I suppose I'll be a bit goosed. Then again, living off an untrained job out there doesn't seem to be possible. Might just have to chance my arm teaching or tutoring or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

https://www.livingsocial.com/deals/796066-140-hour-online-tefl-course

140 hour TEFL course for €59 for those interested (online course).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

Has anyone done any of the really cheap online/groupon/living social courses?
    They all give you a certificate at the end right?

My boyfriend needs to do one for China so I guess all we need is a certificate that looks half decent?

• Advertisement
Advertisement