Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should irish be an optional subject to everyone ?

• 17-04-2014 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Personally I find Irish quite a useless subject so I would like to see what everyone else's thinks about it. I asked my class 1 out of 30 said it was important and useful.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Xgracie

It would be a terrible shame if we were ever to lose our national language, it's unique and interesting and important to Irish culture :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Deathscythe

Xgracie wrote: »
    It would be a terrible shame if we were ever to lose our national language, it's unique and interesting and important to Irish culture :)

Say what, nobody speaks Irish it is as dead as Latin. I can't also see how its interesting you know I would rather do home economics instead. You actually learn something your gonna use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Blue giant

It should definitely be compulsory up until the junior cert at least. Maybe optional for leaving cert. However I think the main problems lie with both the syllabus and the way it is thought. It should be thought similarly to French like a second language which it is for the majority.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭pizzamad

I love irish and would never want it to be optional. It's a fantastic language.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭smiles_1998

Blue giant wrote: »
    It should definitely be compulsory up until the junior cert at least. Maybe optional for leaving cert. However I think the main problems lie with both the syllabus and the way it is thought. It should be thought similarly to French like a second language which it is for the majority.
    Agreed :-) one if the main reasons I detest Irish is because it is taught as if it is a first language for everyone

• Advertisement

Say what, nobody speaks Irish it is as dead as Latin. I can't also see how its interesting you know I would rather do home economics instead. You actually learn something your gonna use.

Never heard of a Gaeltacht? Why didn't you pick home ec then? I don't find business interesting doesn't mean it's 'useless', people have different interests

Blue giant wrote: »

So true! The syllabus is really bad like just rote learning answers about poems and stories

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭VG31

I think it would be better if it was taught like French, Spanish and German. The current way they teach it from primary school is not good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Absolutely hate the language. The way its taught, oh god don't get me started. Seriously, watching paint dry is more entertaining than listening to the language forget learning it. And thats really the main problem. There trying to teach us irish literature with poetry and random ass stories when we can't even have a bloody conversation in the language. WTF :O. And the fact that its a language that is going in decline and dead and useless makes it even more depressing to learn.

I understand the whole 'revival of our national language' concept most people are on about but whats the point reviving it when your not going to use it outside school, outside your home and out in communities. I would like for the language to be optional for LC but in all fairness i'd prefer to get rid of the language as a whole. God knows what inspires irish teachers to do what they do!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Yolo141

I agree that the way it is taught is outdated, it needs to be changed. However it is our culture and we should be proud of the language. Other countries with minority languages embrace it so why do us Irish have such hatred for something that is unique! It should remain compulsary!

• Advertisement

Absolutely hate the language. The way its taught, oh god don't get me started. Seriously, watching paint dry is more entertaining than listening to the language forget learning it. And thats really the main problem. There trying to teach us irish literature with poetry and random ass stories when we can't even have a bloody conversation in the language. WTF :O. And the fact that its a language that is going in decline and dead and useless makes it even more depressing to learn.

I understand the whole 'revival of our national language' concept most people are on about but whats the point reviving it when your not going to use it outside school, outside your home and out in communities. I would like for the language to be optional for LC but in all fairness i'd prefer to get rid of the language as a whole. God knows what inspires irish teachers to do what they do!!!

An interest for the language maybe? If you go into a class with an open mind and try and appreciate what you're learning it's actually ok! Ireland has such a rich and interesting history and the language plays such a role in that it would (in my opinion) be a shame for it to just disappear
    Totally agree about the way it's taught tho should definitely be more like French etc.
    have to say tho I had a really good primary school teacher who I picked up a lot of Irish from

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

An interest for the language maybe? If you go into a class with an open mind and try and appreciate what you're learning it's actually ok! Ireland has such a rich and interesting history and the language plays such a role in that it would (in my opinion) be a shame for it to just disappear
    Totally agree about the way it's taught tho should definitely be more like French etc.
    have to say tho I had a really good primary school teacher who I picked up a lot of Irish from

But where does that interest come from. You don't just wake up one morning and suddenly have an interest for something. You need to inspired and the irish teachers and the way they teach it nowadays makes it far from interesting in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Eims14

Irish should definitely remain compulsory .The way it's thought in most schools by the sounds of it needs to be changed that doesnt mean it should be eradicated.You could say the same about home Ec really like in your future life your never going to need to know about the kitchen triangle thingy but it doesn't make the whole subject irrelevant.I think there should be more of an emphasis on the culture of it and learning how to speak it instead of learning about Calua the whale who goes swimming and *spoiler alert* his family are harpooned but you could make the same argument about the merits of learning about a bunch of anti-semitics who lived in Venice in English or an area of low-population density in Geography

Never heard of a Gaeltacht? Why didn't you pick home ec then? I don't find business interesting doesn't mean it's 'useless', people have different interests

Listen up in the school I am going to home economics is taught only for leaving certificate. Also the gaeltacht should only be the place where Irish is taught if it is spoken in that desolate area. That would be okay cos I will never speak it.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭yvngceebs

The way Irish is taught in primary and secondary is not very good, lets be honest. I do, however, understand why it is compulsory for the JC (ask yourself: why are subjects such as History, Geography and Science compulsory) , but I fully believe that it should be optional for the LC. If you plan on pursuing a degree in Irish or primary school teaching, sure go for it. If you don't, don't continue it.

I mean ---modern--- languages such as Italian, Spanish, German, French and Japanese are being picked up better than Irish - the native language -- how embarrassing!!

Personally, I am not good at Irish and I would love to drop it. I don't know whether my dislike for Irish roots from the fact that English is not my first language ( Dutch is. I lost my fluency, though. I also lost my fluency in another native language...Twi.) and when I moved to Ireland I was forced to learn English and Irish at the same time at school.

Anyways, Irish should be optional. No point reviving something that is dead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Snake

Business can be a chosen subject in most schools if not all of them... Your argument is basically invalid

Business can be a chosen subject in most schools if not all of them... Your argument is basically invalid

I'm with Ye

I was in school up until junior cert... And all the while from junior infants to 3rd year I learned nothing... I can't speak a word of Irish.. So it's a waste of time because if someone doesn't want to learn something they just won't learn it... Simple as

I was in school up until junior cert... And all the while from junior infants to 3rd year I learned nothing... I can't speak a word of Irish.. So it's a waste of time because if someone doesn't want to learn something they just won't learn it... Simple as

Yeah I've got to slave through it now till leaving cert. English isn't my first language its Arabic. But unfortunately I was born in Ireland. Biggest bad buzz on me.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

yvngceebs wrote: »
    Personally, I am not good at Irish and I would love to drop it. I don't know whether my dislike for Irish roots from the fact that English is not my first language ( Dutch is. I lost my fluency, though. I also lost my fluency in another native language...Twi.) and when I moved to Ireland I was forced to learn English and Irish at the same time at school.

Anyways, Irish should be optional. No point reviving something that is dead.

You shouldn't have been taught Irish if you weren't fluent in English. You should have been exempted from Irish.

Irish is not a dead language. A dying language, definitely, and much of the blame lies with the way it was taught but it's far from a dead language.

• Advertisement

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    You shouldn't have been taught Irish if you weren't fluent in English. You should have been exempted from Irish.

Irish is not a dead language. A dying language, definitely, and much of the blame lies with the way it was taught but it's far from a dead language.
    It is a dead language because if it wasn't then you should hear all Irish people speaking it as a first. If Irish was alive then it would be impossible to go around Ireland without knowing how to speak Irish. It is being pretended that it is alive so no gaeltacht person gets upset.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭yvngceebs

Nimrod 7 wrote: »

I moved to Ireland when I was 5, turning six. According to some law, you have to have moved here at the minimum age of 11 to be exempt. :(

And you're very correct. I take my final statement back, Irish isn't completely dead.

It is a dead language because if it wasn't then you should hear all Irish people speaking it as a first. If Irish was alive then it would be impossible to go around Ireland without knowing how to speak Irish. It is being pretended that it is alive so no gaeltacht person gets upset.

Well there's parts that speak it and ministers and TDs and ****e speak it so not dead but not popular anymore.. It's just a pain to learn but it's unfortunate in the sense it's part of our country... Blame the British be grand sure

How hahahaha replace business with science if it makes you happier

Because you're comparing a subject which you chose to one which you're given that's how your argument is invalid, how could you think it's an intelligent argument

It's a useless argument not all schools allow you to choose subjects. I just don't get your interest in Irish.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Please look up the definition of dead.

Hundreds of thousands of people still speak it. It's not dead. It is dying bit it's not dead yet.
    yvngceebs wrote: »
    I moved to Ireland when I was 5, turning six. According to some law, you have to have moved here at the minimum age of 11 to be exempt. :(

True.

Unless you couldn't speak English. In which case you should have been taught either English or Irish. You should have been exempt if you couldn't speak English.

Read the December 1996 circular about Irish exemptions.

http://www.education.ie/en/Circulars-and-Forms/Active-Circulars/pc12_96.doc Clicking downloads a .doc file.
    1.d

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

This has been done soo many times before! Arguments for: less than three percent claim to speak the language (outside of school) on a daily basis; deprives "more useful" subjects of class-time; "dead language". Arguments against: part of our heritage; merely taught badly at present; many cognitive benefits to bilingualism.

My own tuppence: the question should be on the ballot paper of the next referendum. I imagine it would not pass. It should then be reformed. Two subjects: Irish Language and Culture and Irish Literature. One must be taken, and the first would have a maximum score of, say, fifty points (rather than A1-D3, there would be three scoring bands, like for LCVP).

Dear Nimrod if you really think hundreds of thousands of people speak Irish then your wrong because they are all senior citizens the language is dying with them. It is complete bull**** if you think the new generation speak it. People only speak it in remote areas of the gaeltacht.

• Advertisement

Irish is only spoken in Ireland but French is spoken in France and many parts of Africa that's what you call a useful language.

Advertisement