Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Specsavers - how do they get away with it?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭NewClareman

Specsavers cannot simply refuse to provide customers with their prescription details...
    I suggest your wife contacts Specsavers in writing to request her prescription details using a Subject Access Request under the Data Protection Act:

https://www.dataprotection.ie/en/individuals/know-your-rights/right-access-information

You can request all your information online. I got all my despensing information, including PD, frame sizes etc. The link won’t work if you are in privacy mode or have cookies disabled.

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

astrofool wrote: »
    from memory, some frames can't fit the non-thin lenses, depending on the prescription you have.
    I've one eye significantly worse than the other so if I want rimless or half-rim glasses I need the thin lens or it's very unbalanced weight and looks wise. I wear glasses with thick enough rims that it hides the odd look and so that the sit properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

Just got 2 pairs of ultra thin lenses (I'm -6.25 both eyes) beautiful frames from Firmoo with Black Friday deal at 40 USD - delivered from China in 4 days - paid 300+ for a similar Karen Millen pair in Supersavers last year that took 4 weeks to come back from 'the lab in England'.. what a joke. And their anti scratch coating didn't work.

Tip - measure your current glasses and you can assess the frame size on Firmoo to see if they're same size. Worked perfectly for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,072 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

L1011 wrote: »
    Every retail optician in Ireland charges scandalous prices for frames/lenses; its as if they - or their upstream suppliers - haven't realised that you can't get away with that anymore.

Random pair of metal frames with thinned lenses on Zenni = under $60. Plastic ones with non-thinned lenses from about $8.

I want to thank you for this info.

It's only during the last year or so that I have realised how bad value Sppecsavers are.

I had assumed they were like Spoons - a UK chain entering Ireland and genuinely undercutting the local high costs suppliers.

I too have paid 45/90 for the thinner lenses in the past.

I am now considering the following:

getting eye test done in Specsavers
    getting prescription, leaving shop
    measuring my PD myself
    ordering glasses online

However, I am a bit nervous about it.

I see Zenni mentioned:

https://www.zennioptical.com/?gclsrc=aw.ds&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5teG6Lyo5gIVTbDtCh0qnQafEAAYASAAEgKZT_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I assume there will be Customs plus 23% VAT if I buy from them?

Are there any UK or EU based glasses suppliers, so I avoid the hassle of duty plus VAT?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭dball

Geuze wrote: »
    I want to thank you for this info.

It's only during the last year or so that I have realised how bad value Sppecsavers are.

I had assumed they were like Spoons - a UK chain entering Ireland and genuinely undercutting the local high costs suppliers.

I too have paid 45/90 for the thinner lenses in the past.

I am now considering the following:

getting eye test done in Specsavers
    getting prescription, leaving shop
    measuring my PD myself
    ordering glasses online

However, I am a bit nervous about it.

I see Zenni mentioned:

https://www.zennioptical.com/?gclsrc=aw.ds&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5teG6Lyo5gIVTbDtCh0qnQafEAAYASAAEgKZT_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

I assume there will be Customs plus 23% VAT if I buy from them?

Are there any UK or EU based glasses suppliers, so I avoid the hassle of duty plus VAT?

Thanks.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111686636&postcount=1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I was in specsavers in July to get glasses, they will were trying to push me to buy two pairs of glasses, but I only wanted one. As a result I got a discount of €40 from the sale price.

Was pretty happy with that

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've never paid customs with Zenni, but there is import duty on glasses (2.9%)+VAT. They may actually be clearing this in advance or I've just been lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Nutser

Last time I purchased from Zenni I got hit for customs and VAT, had to provide a copy of my order and proof of payment. I think it still came to under 100 all in for 5 pairs of acrylic framed specs.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've just been lucky then! Its still vastly cheaper than buying locally, which is a pity in some senses but the supply chain/retail opticians here need to cop on basically. Stop selling Luxottica products if they're the cause of it being dear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭dball

i saw this in Belgium earlier this year, - I went in but i didn't have my prescription with me - there is a website on the window but i never ordered anything, cant say if they are decent or not:
    [IMG][/img]47033499964_5233455537_c.jpgIMG_20190508_193905 by Zed Llab, on Flickr

• Advertisement

You can request all your information online. I got all my despensing information, including PD, frame sizes etc. The link won’t work if you are in privacy mode or have cookies disabled.

I tried doing this and got the following reply:
    Dear Mr VanZan
    Thank you for contacting Specsavers regarding obtaining a copy of your eye prescription. Your records are held by the store where you had your eyes tested. You can obtain a copy of your eye prescription and information about your eye test from the store where you had your eyes tested. A verified copy of your prescription will need to be signed by the optician and they may make a charge for this service. The store can post or email the prescription to you.

The store contact details, including telephone number, can be found using the following link

https://www.specsavers.ie/stores

Yours sincerely

Lisa
    Data Protection and Privacy Team

I already called into the local store and they wouldn't give me my PD. The annoying thing is I only want my prescription in order to purchases lenses for an Oculus Go. So it's something that SpecSavers don't even sell themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭65535

Don't watch TV myself but the amount of people that use the line 'should have gone to specsavers' shows that their advertising model is working very well for them.
    Which in turn means that you are paying for those adverts.
    Other opticians are available.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭emeldc

Anyone know how much they charge for an eye test if you're not using your PRSI.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

emeldc wrote: »
    Anyone know how much they charge for an eye test if you're not using your PRSI.
    €35 was in n the receipt they gave me for a prsi test last week.

I am going to Specsavers to get an eye test tomorrow.

I am thinking about buying spectacles online after that.

I see people here buying from Zenni (USA) and Specs4Less.

Does anybody recommend any particular supplier?

I am aware of the issue with Pupillary Distance.

When people on this thread say "entitled to prescription", are you referring to the sticker/label wit the following details:

SPH CYL Axis

Do those six numbers make up the prescription, or is there more to it?

That’s all I needed, you can measure your own pupil distance quite easily.

I’ve used Spex4lessless several times without issue, their customer support is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭tele2020

Have a medical card and prsi. Got an OCI scan and that was 25, fine with that.

Got the eye test done after and then passed on to the sales person , we picked out glasses and then we talk about different glasses, bifocals etc, I just settle on single vision glasses for reading/pc work etc.. which were €89, then on the bill it adds €159 for sReader, the total ended up being around €163 after PRSI contribution deduction. Never asked to fill in any medical card forms.

If I go by google , it says "Does a medical card cover glasses?

Medical card holders are entitled to a free examination and any necessary standard spectacles once every two years"

Was I scammed?

it's up to you to claim on the Med card, you cannot claimon the card and PRSI

a male friend got glasses from specsavers.the frame had a girls name and on googling it turns out its a lady's frame https://www.specsavers.co.uk/glasses/jane1?sku=25663563

why do they do that?

• Advertisement

No. see attached. its an a4 sheet .at the top of the page is your name and address etc

i don't know if a customer would be fitting them right. How could we do measurements like a dispensing optician? there are more measurements than PD

some sites say go to an optometrist to fit them

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭tele2020

The never even gave me the option to fill in any med card claim forms.

Pupil distance is incredibly simple, there are lots of online guides, even easier if you’ve been to an optician before, it’s usually noted on any previous prescription or you could just take your free eye test and ask then use the info provided on the online form, that’s what I did, funnily SS didn’t measure pd!

PD is easy but i think there are other measurem,ents. with me anyway they usually make marks on the plain lens that is in there.

Hopefully some of the optometrist here can say if it is a good idea to buy online. some places advise getting an optometrist or optician to fit them. might be just covering themselves i don't know. i also don't know if the glasses were a bad fit would it affect ones eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭gipi

My experience over the years is that opticians don't put PD on prescriptions - you have to ask for it specifically.

Advertisement