Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Black Friday - Chat thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭careless sherpa

Nintendo Labo £9.99 earlier today, missed that :(

Which one was for that price

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Looking for an xbox one s for my son this week. Any advice on the cheapest place to get it? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 28,426 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

An Irish website would just be an excuse to rip off Irish customers with the added downside of less stock and availability similar to the likes of Screwfix and Zooplus and of which I'm sure there are many more.

Amazon give you the choice of paying in GBP or EUR but you'll pay them a hefty commission for converting to EUR. Paying in GBP is good especially if you have Revolut which gives great exchange rates with no commissions.

I don't get your comparison with Screwfix or Zooplus.

I'm talking about customers in Ireland having to shop in a foreign currency. I already said about the GBP EUR conversion being bad.
    sweetie wrote: »
    Get a revolut card and pay in Sterling for best value. It's amazon.co.uk why would they need an Irish site, it's pretty simple

I already have a Revolut card and I wasn't asking for advice on that.

The point is that we're forced to pay in a foreign currency.

Take the Amazon Dot with clock. Today it's £34.99 on UK site but €34.99 on German and French site. (I know vat is different) Other eurozone countries would buy from them so why should Irish people have to pay in sterling?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

murpho999 wrote: »
    I don't get your comparison with Screwfix or Zooplus.

I'm talking about customers in Ireland having to shop in a foreign currency. I already said about the GBP EUR conversion being bad.

I already have a Revolut card and I wasn't asking for advice on that.

Take the Amazon Dot. Today it's £34.99 on UK site but €34.99 on German and French site. (I know vat is different) Other eurozone countries would buy from them so why should Irish people have to pay in sterling?

Actually, no one is forcing you at all, you have a choice to buy or not to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭dubrov

They do it as it is a huge money earner for them. Amazon's margins are already very tight and the FX conversion fee probably doubles it. They have no real competition in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,426 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Actually, no one is forcing you at all, you have a choice to buy or not to buy.

Well I was talking about buying on Amazon, not about buying or not.
    If you want to buy on Amazon then you are forced to pay in sterling or exorbitant Euro exchange rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭randombar

Looking for tablet recommendations for my father in law. Android >= 10 inch screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

If you want to buy on Amazon then you are forced to pay in sterling or exorbitant Euro exchange rate.

murpho999, meet capitalism.

If you don’t like it, don’t take part.
    Otherwise, suck it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

Pay in Sterling using Revolut, you can avoid the extorionate exchange rate then. Revolut has been available for a number of years and is brilliant for this type of stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 15,830 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Looking for tablet recommendations for my father in law. Android >= 10 inch screen.

I just bought a Huawei T5 32gb.3gb for €169 in Curry's. It's €163 on Amazon. Excellent tablet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

GaryCocs wrote: »

https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/3410824.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

Would this be a better overall tablet than the Amazon Fire 10HD that is currently on offer? I am looking for a tablet for my grandson. He will be mostly playing games and watching some YouTube shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭amor3

Would this be a better overall tablet than the Amazon Fire 10HD that is currently on offer? I am looking for a tablet for my grandson. He will be mostly playing games and watching some YouTube shows.

I was interested in this tablet but when I reviewed it, it doesn't have youtube or the play store! I'm now watching for deals on the samsung galaxy tab

• Registered Users Posts: 45,140 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

amor3 wrote: »
    I was interested in this tablet but when I reviewed it, it doesn't have youtube or the play store! I'm now watching the samsung galaxy tab
    the specs on Argos say it Android 8.0 and compatible with Play Store. Surely it would just be case of installing the apps you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

the specs on Argos say it Android 8.0 and compatible with Play Store. Surely it would just be case of installing the apps you want.

Amazon Fire don't have access to the Play Store, it's deal breaker for many. The Argos one does.

On the amazon fire 10 hd? Can you post the link please. The one I see says nothing about android 8 or the play store.

https://m.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7501375/Trail/searchtext>Amazon+fire.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

Amazon Fire don't have access to the Play Store, it's deal breaker for many. The Argos one does.

You can sideload the Playstore via an APK - very easy to obtain online and install. I have the Fire 10" and all the Play apps I need work just fine on it. IMO, it's the best budget tablet and I love having Alexa on it too.

RoYoBo wrote: »
    You can sideload the Playstore via an APK - very easy to obtain online and install. I have the Fire 10" and all the Play apps I need work just fine on it. IMO, it's the best budget tablet and I love having Alexa on it too.

Do you need a laptop or commuter to do that though??? We don't have any of them anymore, just our own tablets and phones! Have you youtube installed on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

Do you need a laptop or commuter to do that though??? We don't have any of them anymore, just our own tablets and phones! Have you youtube installed on it?

No need for a PC, all done via the tablet. Search Google for Play Store APK and install. You need to enable apps from unknown sources first - that's in your security settings.

I don't have the YouTube app installed, but I can do so if I want AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭torrevieja

Is it me or is this a Poor Sale ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

We have a couple of 7 inch fire tablets.a you tube toutorial will have you up and running with the play store in minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

brightkane wrote: »
    We have a couple of 7 inch fire tablets.a you tube toutorial will have you up and running with the play store in minutes.

Yeah, if it's the same on this gen as my fire tablet it's a couple of minutes sideloading (4?) apks to get it working.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭bromley52

I was interested in this tablet but when I reviewed it, it doesn't have youtube or the play store! I'm now watching for deals on the samsung galaxy tab

Galaxy Tab A 10.1 (2019) €179

bromley52 wrote: »

Thank you.. it's been sitting at that price the last week. Was wondering if it would go any lower this week but looking unlikely. Think I will get it. Thank you..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,830 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I bought the Huawei Mediapad T5. Argos & Curry's have it at the same price as Amazon's Black Friday Deal. €169

32gb.3gb. Really nice tablet with good reviews.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

Just found out black Friday is next week :o:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Standman wrote: »
    Just found out black Friday is next week :o:o

Black Friday itself is next week

Black Friday sales are now 2 weeks long

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

It's gone mad.

I preferred when it was just the Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭chonix

It's gone mad.

I preferred when it was just the Friday.
    ahh, another pure soul added to the spirited age of consumerism

Advertisement