Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Football Championship Restructuring Idea

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

No format can solve the problem Dublin's dominance.

Well having them play the league in the summer will at least guarantee some decent games, much more than another turkey shoot in Leinster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Hawkeye9212

Well having them play the league in the summer will at least guarantee some decent games, much more than another turkey shoot in Leinster

Agreed but the Provincials are set to remain at senior level.

Personally, I'd go for two tiers of 16. Both tiers are split into two pools of 8. The top two teams in each pool go into the All-Ireland semi-finals. The bottom two teams in Tier 1 are relegated to Tier 2. The 7th placed teams go into a play-off for the third relegation spot. The top two teams in Tier 2 are promoted to Tier 1. The second and third placed teams go into the play-offs for the third promotion spot.

For example:

Tier 1

Monaghan, Galway, Dublin, Mayo, Donegal, Laois, Clare, and Kildare.

Tier 2

Cavan, Westmeath, Roscommon, Kerry, Armagh, Fermanagh, Meath, and Tyrone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

The Provincials aren't going anywhere. I don't think that moving Louth into Ulster will be too controversial. The county has strong links with its neighbours in Ulster. The provinces should adopt a round-robin format. Every county has at least 4 or 5 games against a mix of opposition.

Top two teams in Connacht and Munster contest their provincial final. Top 2 teams in Ulster and Leinster go into their provincial semi-finals. The provincial champions go into the All-Ireland semi-finals.

I thought that proposal meant they wouldnt be involved in the AI?

I thought that proposal meant they wouldnt be involved in the AI?

They won't but I can't see the Div 1 sides agreeing to allow Div 3 and 4 an easier route into the All-Ireland series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭recyclebin

They won't but I can't see the Div 1 sides agreeing to allow Div 3 and 4 an easier route into the All-Ireland series.

Yes, this makes no sense at all. And I know my own Laois benefited from something similar in the hurling when they won the Joe McDonagh to get to an all Ireland quarter final.

Adopting a format whereby there are group stages in the provincials won't solve the GAA's biggest problem right now, which is Dublins dominance. The Leinster championship would still be as farcical as it is today. Munster is not too far behind, I don't see anyone beating Kerry for the next number of years.

Jim McGuinness's proposal from a few years ago remains the best in my opinion. Similar to option 2 in that article, except the provincial winners are guaranteed top tier, then it goes by league placings. Its usually the top teams that win them, but it gives every team a chance to play in the top tier competition in that year

Looked at his proposal again. It's better than anything proposed so far and can easily be altered if the Provincials are scrapped at some point in the future.

I've done up an example based on 2019 below:

Provincial Champions

Donegal, Kerry, Dublin, and Roscommon.

League

Mayo, Tyrone, Galway, Monaghan, Meath, Cavan, Fermanagh, Kildare, Armagh, Clare, and Westmeath.

Tier 2 Champions (if held in 2018)

Offaly

All-Ireland Play-Offs

Home and away decided upon by a coin toss. Dublin could potentially head to Sligo if they won the Tier 2 Championship.

Tier 2 Championship

Tier 2 will be straight knockout. Games will be held as curtain raisers to Tier 1 games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭threeball

Whoever suggested that needs their head examined. Can you imagine bringing that proposal to any other sporting organisation in the world and have it be taken seriously. We are going to take your 25th best team and have them leapfrog your 5th best just because.

Why can't they just do the simple thing which that proposal almost gets to. Play the provincials as the warm up comps, league as the main comp with 3 divisions and if you're in the top two divisions come the end of the league you go into a straight knockout all ireland. Division 3 teams play for a 2nd tier all ireland. 4 to 5 games from the end of the league and the all ireland is wrapped up. No back doors, unfair leap frogging, people complaining that they didn't have a chance to get to play in the all ireland series. Everyone has a chance and its completely fair.

Do that and then start looking at addressing the funding imbalances. It would also be a great package to sell to TV companies.

threeball wrote: »
    Whoever suggested that needs their head examined. Can you imagine bringing that proposal to any other sporting organisation in the world and have it be taken seriously. We are going to take your 25th best team and have them leapfrog your 5th best just because.

Why can't they just do the simple thing which that proposal almost gets to. Play the provincials as the warm up comps, league as the main comp with 3 divisions and if you're in the top two divisions come the end of the league you go into a straight knockout all ireland. Division 3 teams play for a 2nd tier all ireland. 4 to 5 games from the end of the league and the all ireland is wrapped up. No back doors, unfair leap frogging, people complaining that they didn't have a chance to get to play in the all ireland series. Everyone has a chance and its completely fair.

Do that and then start looking at addressing the funding imbalances. It would also be a great package to sell to TV companies.

I can't see the Provincials being relegated to preseason competitions. The provincial councils have too much power.

I would take a modified version of Jim's proposal. Reduce the League to three divisions of 10, 12, and 10. Top 8 in Div 1 and Top 4 in Div 2 plus the provincial champions. That leaves us with 4 more rounds to decide the All-Ireland Champions.

Advertisement