Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prepaid Mastercard No Loading or Purchase Charges (Works with Ryanair)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,074 ✭✭✭championc

I can confirm that the Dundrum Gift Card WORKS with Ryanair. I needed to re-charge a Perfect Card and they charge €5 to do this now. My wife got a Gift Card not realizing that they were different. Anyway, I tried it and it works.

In fact, if you look at both Gift Cards or Perfect Cards, their numbers BOTH start with 5274 5500. The BIN Ranges (the first 6 digits of a card) identifies the card type and the issuer. Therefore, there is no way for any online system to differenciate between these two "so called" different cards.

Now for the best bit.
    If you go to the Perfect Card website and use the check balance link - http://www.perfectcard.ie/PerfectCard004_Live05/AccountEnquiry.aspx

You can insert the Gift Card details and it will give you your gift card balance and showed my Ryanair transaction.

C

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

So can anyone tell me what to do? I'm a bit confused after reading some comments. I'm booking some flights soon and not paying the extra fee would be great. Does the Dundrum card definitely work? Which one do I get?

Just get a Dundrum Gift Card - 100% guaranteed. As I have already said, despite what they will tell you at the sales desk, both cards carry the same Bin Range so online systems cannot tell the difference between the two cards. I did my booking only last week.

I would expect any Mastercard branded gift card to work in exactly the same way - not sure if Blanch do one ???

C

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭clancger

I got a Blanchardstown Gift card yesterday and used to book with Ryanair without issues, and more importantly without Credit Card charges

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

clancger wrote: »
    I got a Blanchardstown Gift card yesterday and used to book with Ryanair without issues, and more importantly without Credit Card charges

How much did it cost?When you top it up do they charge you?

• Advertisement

When you buy the card , you can put whatever amount you want onto it, but you can't top it up again.
    At a later point, the cust service desk can transfer a remaining balance to a new card, which would be kind of a topup equivalent, but you need to go into the cust service desk for this.
    As it happens, I didn't put on enough credit yesterday for all the flights I need to buy, so I have to go back in later to do exactly this. I'll report back on how I get on.

Here's a view from the online balance enquiry:

clancger wrote: »
    When you buy the card , you can put whatever amount you want onto it, but you can't top it up again.
    At a later point, the cust service desk can transfer a remaining balance to a new card, which would be kind of a topup equivalent, but you need to go into the cust service desk for this.
    As it happens, I didn't put on enough credit yesterday for all the flights I need to buy, so I have to go back in later to do exactly this. I'll report back on how I get on.

Here's a view from the online balance enquiry:

Cheers for that!

so I went in at lunchtime to the Blanchardstown cust service desk. I had €25.03 on my card and wanted to buy a new card worth €100.
    The girl said no bother, I'll use the €25 on the old card as a part payment for the new one. She gave me back the 3 cent to avoid messing about with change, and I paid €75 off my laser - done deal ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

So from reading the above posts - Dundrum now offer two types of card, a store card and a perfect card - perfect card cost's a 5er but the dundrum card is free and can be used online?

also

Blanch shopping center cards work online - and there is no fee in them?

cheers,

k

No fee on any of these cards. Forget about the Perfect Card - there's no benefit to having one of these over a general Gift Card. As I said already, the BIN ranges are the same. My guess is that Blanch cards are also starting with 5274 55 and so, no system could even tell the difference between a Blanch or Dundrum one.

Also, you can never loose with the Gift Cards. If my any miraculous situation it didn't work, just use it for you general grocery shopping. In the same way, it's best to well and truely overfill it so you can still use the balance for other shopping.

Remember, you can use the Perfect Card balance checker online to check your Dundrum or Blanch balance - even more confirmation that their own systems cannot tell the difference.

C

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

How do these cards work anyway? Are they like vouchers where you get a specific amount of money or can you top up anytime?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭livEwirE

+1

If I get one of these cards, put on €150 and then go to the ryanair website to book my flights how do I actually pay? Do I need to book ryanir flights over the phone and provide the number on the card:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

livEwirE wrote: »
    +1

If I get one of these cards, put on €150 and then go to the ryanair website to book my flights how do I actually pay? Do I need to book ryanir flights over the phone and provide the number on the card:confused:
    are you serious?
    When the payments options come up select "mastercard prepaid" and put the card details in, on the wesite that is!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭livEwirE

@ adamski8, of course, makes sense:o, haven't booked ryanair flights in about 8 years so didn't know that there was an option to choose a 'prepaid card' instead of a standard credit card :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

My first bad experience with the DCGC

I used this card in the US recently and a transaction costing $25 came out as a €25 charge which is pretty excessive because the mid rate was c.€1=$1.22 so I wouldn't recommend using it for non€ transaction unless you have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Irish Kev

another happy blanch prepaid card user, just saved myself €20:D

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭freebee23

championc wrote: »
    No fee on any of these cards. Forget about the Perfect Card - there's no benefit to having one of these over a general Gift Card. As I said already, the BIN ranges are the same. My guess is that Blanch cards are also starting with 5274 55 and so, no system could even tell the difference between a Blanch or Dundrum one.

Also, you can never loose with the Gift Cards. If my any miraculous situation it didn't work, just use it for you general grocery shopping. In the same way, it's best to well and truely overfill it so you can still use the balance for other shopping.

Remember, you can use the Perfect Card balance checker online to check your Dundrum or Blanch balance - even more confirmation that their own systems cannot tell the difference.

C

Just got a Blanch card and booked ryanair flights.
    Saved €40 euro on fees!!!
    Also used the Dundrum perfect card checker and balance shows up.

I used the Entropay service till last X-Mas and this works out even cheaper with no loading or currency change fees.

Cheers to all who have posted here,
    Freebee23

• Registered Users Posts: 23 lillil

groom wrote: »
    ... so I wouldn't recommend using it for non€ transaction unless you have to.

+1

Booked with Ryanair today using the Dundrum Card and used a non EUR currency. What should have been a 390 EUR transaction
    came up as 417 EUR on the PerfectCard online checker.
    So yeah, defo use the Ryanair currency trick as described by Kotek Besar a couple of pages back.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭crouchie15

Hi,
    Was just wondering does anyone know if the dublin city gift card one in the jervis centre still works on ryanair without the cc charges?
    Thanks.

If it has a Mastercard symbol on it then it should. And if it does, my bet is that the card number will begin with the same 6 digits (5274 55) as all the other cards do

C

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

crouchie15 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Was just wondering does anyone know if the dublin city gift card one in the jervis centre still works on ryanair without the cc charges?
    Thanks.
    I booked flights about 2 weeks ago and it did then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Aug2009

groom wrote: »
    My first bad experience with the DCGC

I used this card in the US recently and a transaction costing $25 came out as a €25 charge which is pretty excessive because the mid rate was c.€1=$1.22 so I wouldn't recommend using it for non€ transaction unless you have to.

I heard a similar story yesterday. I told my friend to use prepaid card abroad as i used mine and got a great rate. She is ready to kill me now. :eek:

I have a prepaid MAstercard from Bishopstown Credit union and get great rates but i would not give advice to anyone else after that other than if you want a prepaid card try bishopstown if you can join. I know a lot of ucc students who are going to get one soon as it was in the su president's manifesto.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 maciejowy

Blanch gift card works with Ryanair :) checked yesterday myself

cheers

Is there a Jervis Street card that works for this lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

posting from cork ( as in user name ! )
    if i phoned dundrum centre to buy a card woth my laser , presume that would be ok. how long will the dundrum card be valid for ? or can anyone offer an alternative for cork users ? ( not a member of bishopstown credit union as mentioned in a few posts earlier )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

Visa debit cards are free from charges as well arent they. Just had a query there with a customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Lemsiper

Nope, not anymore.

posting from cork ( as in user name ! )
    if i phoned dundrum centre to buy a card woth my laser , presume that would be ok. how long will the dundrum card be valid for ? or can anyone offer an alternative for cork users ? ( not a member of bishopstown credit union as mentioned in a few posts earlier )

It's all about finding a store which do a Gift Card and which has the Mastercard symbol on it. I'm sure you can find pictures of the Dundrum or the Perfectcard on Google.

You cannot top up or buy a Dundrum Card with a Laser Card.

Check out http://www.payzone.ie/outlets/ or https://www.entropay.com/prepaid-mastercard.php

Is it possible to top up the Perfect Card? Where can it be bought?

Also, I have an Entropay account already, it was setup for a Visa Electron. Can this be changed to a Prepaid MasterCard?? Are there fees involved when topping up etc.??

Cheers,
    M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,032 ✭✭✭✭Esel

madmoe wrote: »
    Is it possible to top up the Perfect Card?
    No.

Where can it be bought?
    Jervis Centre, and other places. Any prepaid Mastercard will work.

Also, I have an Entropay account already, it was setup for a Visa Electron. Can this be changed to a Prepaid MasterCard?? Are there fees involved when topping up etc.??
    Ask an Entropay user. Oh, wait....

Cheers,
    M
    Seriously..... :(

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement