Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Item being withheld for not selecting "friends and family of PayPal."

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,620 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Dav010 wrote: »
    Isn’t that more useful where you shop for fixed cost items and then pay for your basket at the end? Repairs may not have fixed prices, I would suspect it depends on components and labour costs.

nah can be customised with a form easily... regardless even if the op had accidentally paid via Friends the supplier would still not be shortchanged as the Paypal fee was included to cover the Services method

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

There is no guarantee the op would have followed that payment method correctly either. I do agree with you though, it certainly isn’t rocket science.

But if they had the fee covered in their charge, then it really wouldn't matter to the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Low Energy Eng

To me, it sounds like they've lost money on this repair.
    Still doesn't justify their attitude though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

To me, it sounds like they've lost money on this repair.
    Still doesn't justify their attitude though.

Probably, which means they are struggling to be competitive of the PayPal fee is an issue on one sale. That's no the OPs issue and a smart business person would see the stupidity of bickering over it for one sale. they need to increase their margin, significantly if that is the issue, but again, not the OPs issue.

OP, pay the few euro, get your stuff, never go back, its not really worth anymore hassle if they are tight over what is very little in the end and if they don't learn soon, they are unlikely to be around much longer anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭ToddDameron

There is no guarantee the op would have followed that payment method correctly either. I do agree with you though, it certainly isn’t rocket science.

Well there are only two outcomes in that scenario, they get paid what they asked or they get paid even more money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Well there are only two outcomes in that scenario, they get paid what they asked or they get paid even more money.

Actually there is three, you mistakenly use the wrong payment method and they neither get paid what they asked nor more money, that is the scenario you came to the forum with.

What? If they include the transaction fee in the bill then how can they possibly end up short changed? They can only receive what I sent them with PayPal taking the fee (which they have accounted for) or if I select the wrong payment they get an extra few quid. You quite clearly have no clue what you are talking about.

What? If they include the transaction fee in the bill then how can they possibly end up short changed?

Their fee was based on you paying a certain way, you agreed but made a mistake which reduces the amount paid to them. Where is the issue here?

Their fee was based on you paying a certain way, you agreed but made a mistake which reduces the amount paid to them. Where is the issue here?

Somebody said if they include the fee in the bill this wouldn't happen. You said it could still happen. Explain how.

The original issue is that the money is there for them to claim from PayPal, but they won't make the effort. Meaning I pay the fee twice.

Somebody said if they include the fee in the bill this wouldn't happen. You said it could still happen. Explain how.

They obviously hadn’t included the PayPal fee in your case. Isn’t that why they are requesting the additional fee to cover PayPal charge? You agreed to use a payment method which would not cause them to incur a fee, then mistaken used one that did. Why are you complaining? You stated in your op that it was you who made the mistake.

• Advertisement

They obviously hadn’t included the fee in your case. Isn’t that why they are requesting the additional fee to cover PayPal charge? You agreed to use a payment method which would not cause them to incur a fee, then mistaken used one that did. Why are you complaining? You stated in your op that it was you who made the mistake.

Are you seriously not understanding? Somebody said in future they should include the fee in the charge. And you said I could still select the wrong payment option and short change them. Explain how that works in that scenario?

In my case the fee is there for them to retrieve if they want it. But they want me to pay twice. I can't really dumb it down any further for you. Sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

The original issue is that the money is there for them to claim from PayPal, but they won't make the effort. Meaning I pay the fee twice.

The money is NOT there to claim. They claim what is there, but paypal takes their cut so they do not get 100 euro.

You agreed to pay an amount, paid a way that gives them ----100
    euro. Then you broke the agreement and paid a different way which changed what they get.

I am starting to think this was no accident and you did this deliberately.

Cancel the payment and just give them the money. Stop arsing around.

The money is NOT there to claim. They claim what is there, but paypal takes their cut so they do not get 100 euro.

You agreed to pay an amount, paid a way that gives them ----100
    euro. Then you broke the agreement and paid a different way which changed what they get.

I am starting to think this was no accident and you did this deliberately.

Cancel the payment and just give them the money. Stop arsing around.

Read the op, PayPal have agreed to change the status of the payment and return the fee to them.

Maybe a moderator could change the title to say something like:

I broke my payment agreement which reduces the payment they get, but now the other side wont accept my change"

Is that genuinely your comprehension of the situation or are you just trolling? The fee is there if they want it. Can't really make it any clearer.

Are you seriously not understanding? Somebody said in future they should include the fee in the charge. And you said I could still select the wrong payment option and short change them. Explain how that works in that scenario?

In my case the fee is there for them to retrieve if they want it. But they want me to pay twice. I can't really dumb it down any further for you. Sorry.

Actually I said there is no guarantee you would be able to follow any payment method requested considering you were unable to follow the original one.

The fee you paid is there for them, but they receive less than you agreed because you couldn’t follow through on the agreed method of payment. They have incurred charges that were not included in the invoice because you were agreed to pay through F&F.

Actually I said there is no guarantee you would be able to follow any payment method requested considering you were unable to follow the original one.

The fee you paid is there for them, but they receive less than you agreed because you couldn’t follow through on the agreed method of payment. They have incurred charges that were not included in the invoice because you were agreed to pay through F&F.

If I selected either option in that scenario, how can they end up short changed if the fee is included in their price?

Oh my god. PayPal have agree to refund them the difference on request, you can't be serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Using F+F for business transactions is against Paypals t+cs. No legit business should be requesting payment this way as it provides absolutely no protection for the buyer and can be used to evade tax.

Op, do not change to a F+f payment under any circumstances.

If I selected either option in that scenario, how can they end up short changed if the fee is included in their price?

Oh my god. PayPal have agree to refund them the difference on request, you can't be serious.

If I agree to do something for you for 100 euro in magic beans, or 100 euro in 1 cent coins and you agree, that is an agreement.

You can faff around all you like but if you dont like it, dont agree to it. You can break the agreement if you wish, but I will decide if your change is acceptable.

Using F+F for business transactions is against Paypals t+cs. No legit business should be requesting payment this way as it provides absolutely no protection for the buyer and can be used to evade tax.

What you are suggesting is ignore your agreement and do it whatever way you want. Accordingly, be prepared to not get your stuff.

Dont go back on / change / lie in an agreement you do not intend to keep to. (delete as applicable.)

• Advertisement

This has been posted a few times, but so far no one has provided a link.

Could you please link the PayPal t&c which states a business cannot use F&F, I had a quick look when the op was posted, and though I’ll admit it was a quick scan, I couldn’t see the t&c you are referring to so I’d appreciate it if you posted the link.

Also, considering it is an electronic payment into a bank account, how does F&F aid tax evasion?

Certainly the buyer gets better protection with G&S, but the op still has the SoGASA to rely on if needs be.

This has been posted a few times, but so far no one has provided a link.

Could you please link the PayPal t&c which states a business cannot use F&F, I had a quick look when the op was posted, and though I’ll admit it was a quick scan, I couldn’t see the t&c you are referring to so I’d appreciate it if you posted the link.

Also, considering it is an electronic payment into a bank account, how does F&F aid tax evasion?

Certainly the buyer gets better protection with G&S, but the op still has the SoGASA to rely on if needs be.

Not needed. As I mentioned just before this, if I do a job for you in exchange for 50 bottles of tk orange delivered in a pink cardboard box and you agree, then do it. You cannot decide to change it afterwards because of x, y or z

Is that genuinely your comprehension of the situation or are you just trolling?

he's just trolling... can't admit he got it wrong :D

Anyway I think this is clear, the seller took an illegal approach to the sale trying to avoid paying PayPal fees, then it bit them in the arse when you actually paid them the way they were SUPPOSED to have conducted the transaction (whether accidentally or no).

The fact there is an ambiguity over the payment method is entirely their own fault for not having set it up correctly.

BUT.. to avoid headaches I reckon just pay the fee. They would have charged you this fee anyway if they had taken the proper approach initially.

Not needed. As I mentioned just before this, if I do a job for you in exchange for 50 bottles of tk orange delivered in a pink cardboard box and you agree, then do it. You cannot decide to change it afterwards because of x, y or z

The transaction fee was there for them to reclaim. They refused. Your analogy has no relevance to this case.

mrcheez wrote: »

Anyway I think this is clear, the seller took an illegal approach to the sale trying to avoid paying PayPal fees, then it bit them in the arse when you actually paid them the way they were SUPPOSED to have conducted the transaction (whether accidentally or no).

The fact there is an ambiguity over the payment method is entirely their own fault for not having set it up correctly.

BUT.. to avoid headaches I reckon just pay the fee. They would have charged you this fee anyway if they had taken the proper approach initially.

What illegal approach?

How has it bit them in the arse, they won’t release the instrument until the full fee is paid as per their agreement with the op.

Yeah that's the plan, just want to get it back and move on, cheers.

What illegal approach?

Using Friends and Family as a payment method.

The seller is neither to the customer.... unless he's a buddy of the customer?

This also means the customer isn't able to claim back for bad repairs.

Using Friends and Family as a payment method.

The seller is neither to the customer.... unless he's a buddy of the customer?

Please show me what law is being broken.

Please show me what law is being broken.

sorry I'm all outa troll feed

• Advertisement

sorry I'm all outa troll feed

You said it was illegal, what law is the shop breaking? It’s a simple question.

Advertisement