Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New banking access setup from today: AIB

• 14-09-2019 11:14am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭

Need to implement this on a joint account where the account holders don't speak!
    Options are mobile phone verification with the mobile app or the card reader.

Two questions:
    Is the mobile app the full banking app or just a verification app?

How can two mobile phone numbers be used?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 6,870 ✭✭✭Spocker

Need to implement this on a joint account where the account holders don't speak!
    Options are mobile phone verification with the mobile app or the card reader.

Two questions:
    Is the mobile app the full banking app or just a verification app?

The AIB Mobile App is a full banking app, and from today onward you can use it to setup SCA. Because you asked that question, I'm assuming you haven't used it before, on that account - a quick read of the AIB FAQ seems to suggest that there can be multiple users for the account, and thus two different mobile phones. I can't say for sure though, so the best thing to do is ask AIB directly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Spocker wrote: »
    The AIB Mobile App is a full banking app, and from today onward you can use it to setup SCA. Because you asked that question, I'm assuming you haven't used it before, on that account - a quick read of the AIB FAQ seems to suggest that there can be multiple users for the account, and thus two different mobile phones. I can't say for sure though, so the best thing to do is ask AIB directly

Thanks, downloaded the App, seems my phone is rooted so it would not install.
    Its a OnePlus2.

Will stick with the card reader option for now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,331 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

It's a bummer it won't allow rooted phones I'm not sacrificing YouTube on Android auto for the aib app.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

The new system doesnt work!

My mate came over to send an international payment and he couldnt get the text message authorisation.

Yesterday I tried to do something and I didnt get the text message either. I read somewhere there was an issue with service messages to Virgin mobile, but I am with Eir.

However, when I rang AIB, they knew all about it. Work in progress it appears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,430 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Why can't they just follow other banks and have a verification code sent to your phone? Don't like the idea of installing banking app on my phone which basically tells anyone who can access my phone what bank accounts I have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Why can't they just follow other banks and have a verification code sent to your phone? Don't like the idea of installing banking app on my phone which basically tells anyone who can access my phone what bank accounts I have.
    Now theres a quick access button that you can get your balance without logging on at all.
    I don't know if you can hide that option, hopefully you can.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Now theres a quick access button that you can get your balance without logging on at all.
    I don't know if you can hide that option, hopefully you can.
    It's been there for ages and you can turn it off in the settings menu.

SMS verification codes can be problematic with some mobile operators, and are also open to various exploits.

How does just installing a banking app on your phone tell anyone what accounts you have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,072 ✭✭✭OU812

Question.

Why are banks using SMS codes rather than something more secure like Authy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭the hedgeman

Alun wrote: »
    SMS verification codes can be problematic with some mobile operators, and are also open to various exploits.

How does just installing a banking app on your phone tell anyone what accounts you have?

I'm using the sms verification codes sent by a.i.b. and had no problems receiving them.

• Advertisement

If it's a joint account then each account holder will have their own AIB 24hr/mobile banking profile with their own registration number and PAC. They'll each be able to set it up on their own phones.

I'm using the sms verification codes sent by a.i.b. and had no problems receiving them.
    I said can be problematic. Some providers like Virgin that don't have their own network and piggyback onto other networks, Three in this instance, seem to have problems with receiving verification SMS codes from all kinds of sources. Also if you're travelling and are roaming on some oddball foreign network, problems can occur too, when you least need them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Alun wrote: »
    If it's a joint account then each account holder will have their own AIB 24hr/mobile banking profile with their own registration number and PAC. They'll each be able to set it up on their own phones.
    Its a joint account but we never had two sets of access..
    I did all the finances up to two years ago, now living elsewhere so issues...:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭JohnC.

It worked for me today. I tried logging in on a desktop browser and it needed me to press a button which automatically came up on my phone via the app.

And for those asking about SMS, that is the least secure 2 factor authentication system, so it's good it isn't relying on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

can't get this to work. am with vodafone using android. the desktop site keeps timing out when trying to authenticate. i can log into my accounts though the app on my phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 503 ✭✭✭johnb25

Thanks, downloaded the App, seems my phone is rooted so it would not install.
    Its a OnePlus2.

Will stick with the card reader option for now

I have been using the AIB app for years on my OnePlus X, Android 6.0.1. This weekend I tried setting up the new authentication, and I get the message that the phone is rooted. It definitely is not rooted. If you have had your phone from new you would know if it was rooted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

We are sticking with the Card Reader for the moment. Working fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I've tried to set it up but the browser keeps freezing. I hope they sort the kinks out soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

What is the oldest version of Android supported by the current AIB android app?

Most phones stop getting Android updates after two years or so. Google's licencing agreements only mandate updates for two years. The only way to keep most older phones up to date is by installing a custom ROM.

It seems inconsistent that I can have full access to my account using a browser on the same phone the AIB app does not allow because it sees it as rooted.

Similarly I could use an out of date browser on a PC, with no firewall, anti-virus or security updates applied in years, using an administrator (or root) account and directly connected to the internet.

It makes little sense that a phone with the latest security patches cannot use the app but an ancient PC, leaky as a sieve, can have unfettered access.

I hope AIB have a rethink on blocking phones with cusom ROMs. It's a serious inconvenience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,712 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

It's mostly fine when it ireland, but less so when abroad, I found the SMS arriving hours later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭Debub

We did this yesterday - it took a few attempts (so obviously not working seamlessly at the moment), but finally did get it to work - using a laptop and Tecso network on the mobile (ios)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

Tried to log on to the app and got a notice saying my device was "rooted" so I cannot access my details, tried to access it using AIB website on my phone browser but same story there so I called AIB, the guy I got was about as useful as tits on a bull and kept repeating " you need to contact your mobile provider" which is Vodafone, they were even less helpful (nothing new there) all she could tell me was to download an app called SuperSU which is no longer available in the Google play store.
    Any suggestions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,933 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Even with AIB app tagged in Magisk hide it flags as rooted.
    Not a huge issue but a PITA if running a custom ROM or using older hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Seamai wrote: »
    Tried to log on to the app and got a notice saying my device was "rooted" so I cannot access my details, tried to access it using AIB website on my phone browser but same story there so I called AIB, the guy I got was about as useful as tits on a bull and kept repeating " you need to contact your mobile provider" which is Vodafone, they were even less helpful (nothing new there) all she could tell me was to download an app called SuperSU which is no longer available in the Google play store.
    Any suggestions?

Order a Card Reader from them. At least that way you will be able to access Online Banking. And hopefully AIB will then sort out any glitches.

SusanC10 wrote: »
    Order a Card Reader from them. At least that way you will be able to access Online Banking. And hopefully AIB will then sort out any glitches.

I have a card reader but I'm abroad at the moment, how would the card reader work since I am not able to access the website in any shape or form via my mobile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭Jacovs

Just did it there. The 6 digit code displayed on the App automatically a second or 2 before I got the text with the code. Only took about 10 seconds for the whole process.

AIB app refusing to run on custom ROM is highly annoying. I've checked with several root check apps and none report my phone as being rooted, Google Play Protect reports device status as 'certified'. The app appears to be being over zealous in blocking devices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,933 ✭✭✭✭banie01

AIB app refusing to run on custom ROM is highly annoying. I've checked with several root check apps and none report my phone as being rooted, Google Play Protect reports device status as 'certified'. The app appears to be being over zealous in blocking devices.

Ditto, I'm running a custom ROM albeit play certified and AIB have it blacklisted.
    Will have a play around with some xposed modules during the week and see if I can get around it.

I've run 5 different root check apps and all are me me that my phone is not rooted, so I called AIB again, she just kept saying that there was obviously a security issue with my phone and I could access my account using the card reader which I've not had reason to use once in the last 5 years so why would I have it with me on holidays? When I asked her if I'd be able to use the mobile app again her response was "I doubt it on your current device unless we make changes down the road" Bloody Great!

• Advertisement

I think the problem is more with their app and whatever method it uses to decide if a phone is rooted or not.

Can AIB provide any policy statement as to what level of Android (or iOS) backwards compatibility they will guarantee to support in their app or are customers expected to get a new phone every two years yo be able to access mobile banking?

Paradoxically blocking non-rooted custom ROMs from running the app is likely to result in deeper hacks to circumvent the restriction, possibly increasing the potential attack surface of a device.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,549 ✭✭✭✭L1011

BOI app used to cause trouble over me having a third party keyboard app installed - they can make very silly decisions. Just warn people that it could be a risk and if they're not aware of having done it to stop

It works fine on my Android phone (Pixel 3) but my wife is having some usability issues on her iPhone.

If I log in with my user id when my phone is locked and I miss the notification pop up, I can unlock it and swipe down and see the notification. I can then either click directly on the Confirm text, or click on the background of the notification which then brings me into the app with a big Confirm button.

If my wife logs in, the notification pops up very briefly, but if you aren't quick enough clicking on it, it seems to just disappear and she can't find it anywhere so the login times out. I'm guessing this is an iOS thing, so does anyone have any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭silent_spark

I don’t use a smart phone, so now I have to carry that card reader with me all the time. I have an iPad, which I thought I might be able to use the app on instead, but it doesn’t seem to be the case. Really irritating that there isn’t a normal text notification option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

if you use the card reader to set up, does it mean you have to use the card reader everytime you log into your account .EDIT it does

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭Beagslife

I'm still on Windows Mobile so have had to use the Edge browser up till now. 

I contacted AIB and they said that once you use the card reader to log in ever 90 days you will be able to use the Limited Access login. This allows you to check on balances and transfer between accounts and transfer to saved Irish accounts already used for transfers.

At least this will cut out the need to carry a card reader around!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

I don’t use a smart phone, so now I have to carry that card reader with me all the time. I have an iPad, which I thought I might be able to use the app on instead, but it doesn’t seem to be the case. Really irritating that there isn’t a normal text notification option.

You could set up the text login rather than the card reader log in. With the text login, you will get a text with a code every time you try to log in to your bank account. You then enter this code within 5 minutes to complete the login process

You could set up the text login rather than the card reader log in. With the text login, you will get a text with a code every time you try to log in to your bank account. You then enter this code within 5 minutes to complete the login process

You still need a smart phone to do this, though. The card reader is working fine, and as mentioned above there is limited access without it. Still a bit annoying that accessibility has been reduced. I’ve set up 100% monthly payment on my credit card balance, so I don’t have to worry about forgetting that.

You still need a smart phone to do this, though. The card reader is working fine, and as mentioned above there is limited access without it. Still a bit annoying that accessibility has been reduced. I’ve set up 100% monthly payment on my credit card balance, so I don’t have to worry about forgetting that.

No you don't. My mother has a non-smart phone and I set up her internet banking to get a code via text everything she signs in

No you don't. My mother has a non-smart phone and I set up her internet banking to get a code via text everything she signs in

With AIB? I’m not getting that option. It’s either saying to download the app or use a card reader.

With AIB? I’m not getting that option. It’s either saying to download the app or use a card reader.

Yes, with AIB. When I was setting it up last week, there was a little option to show other options that I clicked on, and it game me the option to select text login

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

still can't access my accounts through internet browser after 10 days. aib now say that i can try pairing with the cardholder instead of my mobile...absolutely ridiculous in this day and age. think this might just be the push i need to make me switch banks. also i'm surprised at the lack of outrage people seem to have at being denied access to their accounts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

You might be in a small minority having teething issues.

Yes, with AIB. When I was setting it up last week, there was a little option to show other options that I clicked on, and it game me the option to select text login

Weird. I might follow that up, as I only got the card reader option in the other options section. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

That's annoying to hear. I enquired from an AIB rep the other day and I was categorically told in very blunt terms that text login was NOT an option so I had to order a card reader (I haven't got a smartphone and only ever login from my home PC).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

bb12 wrote: »
    still can't access my accounts through internet browser after 10 days. aib now say that i can try pairing with the cardholder instead of my mobile...absolutely ridiculous in this day and age. think this might just be the push i need to make me switch banks. also i'm surprised at the lack of outrage people seem to have at being denied access to their accounts!

No, I'm on the point of switching too. It's working for me, but wasn't particularly happy with the notice period they gave or the difficulty in finding options other than their app. Which is apparently going to stop working for me as soon as I root my phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭showgirlrita

I can't get access either, as a previous poster said, I am also getting the "timed out" issue.
    Did AIB explain that there is a way to change the dual verification to the Card Reader if I have already selected the Mobile option?

For those having problems with the 2FA, the so-called "Limited Access" actually allows you to do quite a lot. You can see all your account balances, recent transactions and perform transfers to already set-up beneficiaries. You can't set up new beneficiaries and a few other things, but it's really not that "limited" and in fact allows me to do 99% of what I normally do when I log in anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

can't get this to work. am with vodafone using android. the desktop site keeps timing out when trying to authenticate. i can log into my accounts though the app on my phone.
    I can't get access either, as a previous poster said, I am also getting the "timed out" issue.
    Did AIB explain that there is a way to change the dual verification to the Card Reader if I have already selected the Mobile option?

I was getting this issue as well. Tried calling AIB, but was on hold for too long. Ended up solving it myself.

In my case the issue was that I needed to go in to the app notification settings and allow the app to send notifications. If you are on Android (I'm on version 9), simply go in to the Phone Settings -> Notifications; browse to the AIB app and click on it. On the next screen, make sure everything is enabled. Everything worked fine after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭showgirlrita

dotsman wrote: »
    I was getting this issue as well. Tried calling AIB, but was on hold for too long. Ended up solving it myself.

In my case the issue was that I needed to go in to the app notification settings and allow the app to send notifications. If you are on Android (I'm on version 9), simply go in to the Phone Settings -> Notifications; browse to the AIB app and click on it. On the next screen, make sure everything is enabled. Everything worked fine after that.

Thanks dotsman, but my notifications were already enabled. Ive since been advised by AIB on twitter to uninstall/reinstall app, which I did, and re-registered my mobile, but still no luck. Last resort was to ring AIB but don't fancy that if I'm going to just be put on hold.
    I might try uninstalling the app again & just choose the Card Reader as my option for 2nd verification

EDIT:(OK choosing the Card reader upon re-installing of the app is not an option, I was only given the option of using mobile)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,034 ✭✭✭✭Basq

FYI - spotted this over on Reddit which may fix incorrectly detected root devices.

https://github.com/ppamorim/aib_fix
    (Use at your own risk)

• Advertisement
Advertisement