Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tidy up job!!

Options
  • 22-08-2019 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭

Hi all .. over the winter months i decided id like to tidy up the inside of my currach . about 2 years ago i sanded and brushed on epoxy over the timber work to give it a bit of protection and to add strength.
    iv noticed chipping and peeling in spots esp around the transom are and some wear on the gunwales but for now id like to concentrate on inside as i plan to turn it on its back and work away over the winter as im not fortunate enough to have a shed i can put it in ...
    id like some input and suggestions from lads handy enough in this field of work .. i see next week aldi or lidl cant remember has a orbital sander for 20 euro so thats a good start .. id like to sand down as much as possible the old epoxy and protect the timber work agen with a resin or some thing else ?? id like to hear suggestions as to how best to go at this job and what i should do with the timber after iv sanded it or what i could place over it
    cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Epoxy on it's own has very little UV protection so whatever you coat you will also have to varnish to protect it so the job could turn out to be a lot of work and quite expensive, if I am encapsulating timber it would get at least 3 coats of epoxy and of varnish it might be better just to sand it and give it a few coats of varnish or an oil.

Advertisement