Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bray Air show from the water

Options
  • 21-07-2013 12:38am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I'm planning to head for bray tomorrow in the boat to watch it, just wondering if anyone knows if there's a maritime exclusion zone for it?

Can't find any NTM's saying that there is & I spoke to a friend in the coast guard and he is not aware of any.

Maybe there's none at all but I'd find that strange given it's focused on the seafront.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

They have a "strip" parallel to the waterfront which will be patrolled by the RNLI and possibly civil defence and/or Navy ribs. Just anchor up with the other boats.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭Alkers

Old thread I know but anyone else planning to check this out by boat this year? Was there many boats in previous years?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

I'd check out the forecast for Sunday if I was you :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

BowWow wrote: »
    I'd check out the forecast for Sunday if I was you :)
    Sunday: Rain is expected to clear from the east and northeast early on Sunday leaving a day of sunny spells and isolated showers. Maximum temperatures of 17 to 21 degrees in moderate southerly breezes.

Sounds pretty average? :confused:

The rainfall radar shows patchy showers both days really, bit of rain never killed anyone but will make an assessment on Sat am whether will head out (planning overnight in Greystones Sat night) but wanted to get the heads up for the arrangements at the actual display also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

I'm looking at Windguru, Sunday breezes in mid teens, gusting to high thirties mid day.

Bray_air_Show_boats-1696.jpg

It get's busy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

There will be a good knot an a half of current running south for most of the show, the depth is 20m plus outside the exclusion area, which is a good bit further out that buoys suggest!.
    If you are anchoring, keep a good eye on your neighbours as quite a few will think that they are anchored as it is the only time that they drop the hook all year and so they tend to drift all over the place with their anchors hovering a few meters above the bottom!

We are going to head up on Serindip from Greystones on Saturday, not sure about Sunday, weather doesn't look great for bobbing around particularly with a few non-sailors on board!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Be mindful of the exclusion zone. Navy ship should be in place. Keep East of her.

If there's anyone in the exclusion zone the Coast Guard boats and Civil Defence Boats will request they move on out eastwards.

Weather should be interesting!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

My mam passed away earlier this year. This thread was the last time I brought her out on the water. Sea was lumpy, and awfully rollly anchored off bray.

She hated every moment.

Fond but sad memories.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Did anyone head down this year? How was it?

Did anyone head down this year? How was it?

We went on Sunday only, came from poolbeg so left for the 2pm start time which was then delayed till 3. Was wet and pretty miserable with low cloud cover until about 2.30. Picked up though and was fine for the rest of the day.
    I'd guess maybe 150 boats were there including all the small ribs etc.
    The show was pretty good although everything after the red arrows seemed very tame in comparison, they really should have had them last.

Simona1986 wrote: »
    came from poolbeg

my old stomping ground!!

how was the area policed? was an exclusion zone clearly defined?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Instructions were to keep east of the Navy ship. There was a Coast Guard boat, several civil defence boats, and a garda boat at one stage patrolling the area.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

my old stomping ground!!

how was the area policed? was an exclusion zone clearly defined?

Not really, there was a series of markers out but the area enforced was much further out than this. A few people had a to get beckoned by the ribs but everyone was well behaved.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Probabaly not as big :) but might be of interest to some.

38085008_1651114024985965_819866556241543168_n_zpshvy7cgrf.jpg

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I went down Sunday. It was miserable leaving DunLaoghaire and almost turned back in Scotsmans Bay (....due to unhappy crew....i.e. wife and kids!). Plodded on and nearly turned back again in Killiney Bay! Glad we kept going and was happy about the delayed start as by the time we reached Bray, around 2.30, the skies cleared quickly, and chop died down a bit, just in time for the start of the show! Viggen and Arrows were great. A good time was had by all!

Even got out own flypast! :pac:

Nfw3T0a.jpg?3

We went on Saturday and Sunday, Saturday was a bit of a test with the kids in slightly heavier weather before our trip to Pwllheli last week, there were very few boats out an Saturday but it was a good show, kids were happy with the airshow / treat box, and realised that the mid 20's wind was manageable, so confidence was boosted!

Sunday was a bit wet on the way up but grand when we got there, a lot more boats on the water including the jetski clown crew attempting to put on their own show, I did feel sorry for the chap who was on after the red arrows, it was a hard act to follow and a lot of people started to head off after the red arrows.
    The Vigen was cool, I could feel the hull vibrating as it blasted past!

Was at this again on Sunday this year, much nicer day and much more boats but the display wasn't nearly as impressive. I don't think there were any fast jets? Also no Navy ship.
    Great to see so many people out on the water!

Had one near miss, where a small yacht with two on board drifted through the anchored fleet (no sails up) while trying to get their outboard started. Large motor boat beside us had a tough time raising their anchor and maneuvering so as not to hit anyone else and we lifted our hook as it was getting a bit close for comfort. I don't think they hit anyone in the end but one of the guys on board the small adrift yacht was furious at everyone else that they were visibly in difficulty and that everyone wasn't getting out of his way with their engines - I don't think he realised that you can't just lift the hook and set off in a matter of seconds on a bigger boat. That was just after 5pm so we started to head home at that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭s8n

malin head, rising slowly

• Advertisement

Was away over the weekend so couldn’t make it to Bray, but will be heading up for the Rush Air Display this Saturday, so looking forward to that!

There are always a few that don't quite realise that an anchor with 10m of rope doesn't quite hack it in 20m of water!
    There were a couple of those drifting up from the south, fully convinced that they were anchored!

fenris wrote: »
    There are always a few that don't quite realise that an anchor with 10m of rope doesn't quite hack it in 20m of water!
    There were a couple of those drifting up from the south, fully convinced that they were anchored!

I’ll need to up my anchor rode game then for next year as I’ve only 10m of chain with 20m of rope!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Bare minimums should be 3x depth for chain and 6x depth for rope.

fenris wrote: »

How far out were you? It's shallow enough to anchor up to 2 miles from the sea front.. although I agree 10 rope is a joke.

once you are outside the exclusion zone the depth goes from about 16m to 25m plus fairly quickly, we were towards the southern end of the spectator fleet.
    I have 10m of chain and about 40 of rope, holds well enough for something like the airshow or just taking it handy for a while but I certainly wouldn't be sleeping without really beefing that up, the First 25.7 is right in that size range where the current solution does nicely but a heavier setup with a windlass would probably be overkill most of the time, but really nice once or twice a year!

Advertisement