Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GE2020: Kildare North

Options
  • 20-01-2020 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭

These are the candidates in the race so far:
    • Deputy Bernard Durkan (Fine Gael),
    • Senator Anthony Lawlor (Fine Gael),
    • Deputy Frank O’Rourke (Fianna Fail),
    • Deputy James Lawless (Fianna Fail),
    • Réada Cronin (Sinn Féin),
    • Emmet Stagg (Labour Party),
    • Deputy Catherine Murphy (Social Democrats),
    • Cllr. Vincent P Martin (Green Party),
    • Pól Mac Mathuna (People Before Profit),
    • Séamus ӒRiain (Renua)

All 4 sitting TDs are running. Will FF be able to hold on to their 2 seats and if not then who is most likely to gain?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its FF with two seats, not FG. FG had two 11-16 but that won't happen this time.

Murphy is safe, poll topper again I'd imagine
    Lawless is safe
    Durkan I'd assume is safe but he came close to losing it to FF in 2002; similar polling situation
    O'Rourke's popularity has dwindled, his stance on the 8th (tried to block even holding the referendum) will lose him a lot of the floating voters and I've heard some very negative reactions offline also.

My guess is either a three way fight for the fourth seat (O'Rourke/Martin/Stagg) or a four way fight with them and Durkan for the last two.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

L1011 wrote: »
    Its FF with two seats, not FG. FG had two 11-16 but that won't happen this time.

Lawless is safe
    Durkan I'd assume is safe but he came close to losing it to FF in 2002; similar polling situation
    O'Rourke's popularity has dwindled, his stance on the 8th (tried to block even holding the referendum) will lose him a lot of the floating voters and I've heard some very negative reactions offline also.

My guess is either a three way fight for the fourth seat (O'Rourke/Martin/Stagg) or a four way fight with them and Durkan for the last two.
    I've always voted Stagg 2 but even though he has been a great servant to the area he is 76. It's just too old.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

corrected, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Lawless is safe

Good analysis, but I reckon Lawlor would be in the fight for the fourth seat too.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've always voted Stagg 2 but even though he has been a great servant to the area he is 76. It's just too old.

Durkan is only months younger than him; Murphy is also over 65 (just - 66). It isn't a young field of candidates.

Vincent Martin doesn't look massively young either actually - 20 years as a barrister after originally being a teacher suggests late 50s at least.
    edit: he was SU president in 1990 so that'd suggest early 50s actually.
    BaronVon wrote: »
    Good analysis, but I reckon Lawlor would be in the fight for the fourth seat too.

I don't see the votes there if Durkan is home and dry. If he's not and they're both in the melee, yes definitely - didn't remember that possibility!

The areas that were transferred to Kildare South this time around would have been strong FG boxes; and Lawlor boxes at that based on the sort-of area split that was done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Lawless is safe

Disagree that Lawless is safe. He's under severe pressure from both Lawlor and Martin for the Naas/Clane seat. It'll be a three way battle with them not with O'Rourke.

My prediction:
    Murphy
    Durkan
    O'Rourke
    Martin or Lawlor

O'Rourke is relying on Celbridge to vote for him en masse again when he's out of touch with ~75% of the town (and has had a lot less opening of envelope pics in the local papers for whatever reason) and there is definitely not the votes for two FG after the boundary change.

If there's as much turbulence in Naas/Clane as you say only Murphy is a cert

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭subpar

Stagg must have a real fighting chance , he has vast experience and integrity.He should do well from the distribution of Murphy's surplus.

O'Rourke is relying on Celbridge to vote for him en masse again when he's out of touch with ~75% of the town (and has had a lot less opening of envelope pics in the local papers for whatever reason) and there is definitely not the votes for two FG after the boundary change.
    I googled Catherine Murphy - she's actually 67 that changes the dynamic a bit.
    I can vote Stagg 1 with a clean conscience.

If a cow calves in Ardclough, Frank O'Rourke will claim to be its father; people are aware of this and not that amused by it.
    His mileage claim was quite bizarre and he was caught for it unlike Lawless whose mileage claim is his leap card. O'Rourke voted against the holding of the abortion referendum in a constituency which was 4-1 for the right to have an abortion.

I've always liked Durkan and have given him a preference in the past but if he's in his 70s I won't be giving him a preference.

Anthony Lawlor was the victim of a dirty tricks campaign from the Liffey Champion and the Rye River Brewery at the last election and he's a nice guy but I'm not voting for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rulmeq

subpar wrote: »
    Stagg must have a real fighting chance , he has vast experience and integrity.He should do well from the distribution of Murphy's surplus.
    He called to the door last November (the week of the speculation that there might be an early election), he's sprightly for his age, don't think his age should rule him out.

• Advertisement

subpar wrote: »

What surplus? Even if she gets in on the first count again the surplus will be small - last election it was 1320 and Stagg only got 200 of those.

It's eliminations Stagg will be looking for transfers from and I don't think he'll get them.

As for integrity? :confused:

O'Rourke voted against the holding of the abortion referendum in a constituency which was 4-1 for the right to have an abortion.

He also opposed SSM and people still vote for him. Don't forget Celbridge gave Ide Cussen 12% and Michael Coleman 22% of the vote in LE19. The prolife vote hasn't gone away.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Orion wrote: »
    Disagree that Lawless is safe. He's under severe pressure from both Lawlor and Martin for the Naas/Clane seat. It'll be a three way battle with them not with O'Rourke.

My prediction:
    Murphy
    Durkan
    O'Rourke
    Martin or Lawlor

I cant see O'Rourke out doing lawless but ill take your word for it. Murphy is the only dead cert for whatever insane reason.... I cant see martin going anywhere unless all of kildare norths commuters and rural dwellers have a massive misunderstanding of what the greens are for.

If there's as much turbulence in Naas/Clane as you say only Murphy is a cert

We'll see. It all depends on how the Green wave is going. If it is still strong Martin will get in. If not then I think North Kildare will be the only constituency in the country where FG take a seat from FF. My opinion anyway.

We'll see. It all depends on how the Green wave is going. If it is still strong Martin will get in. If not then I think North Kildare will be the only constituency in the country where FG take a seat from FF. My opinion anyway.

Martin did well in the locals but aside from celbridge and maynooth there was almost no apetite for the greens in the rest of kildare. I think the GE is a bit more important and people realise that the greens being kingmakers is a recipie for tax disaster especially when we are one of the largest electoral areas for dublin commuters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

Is there any resign to not give Mac Mathuna (People Before Profit) and
    Séamus ӒRiain (Renua) a vote ?

Struggling this year to make a decision except i wont vote for Stagg or Frank (but i never have) id give Lab a vote but not Stagg.

Renua are a crackpot hard right party determined to bring Ireland back to the 1950s

PBP are a crackpot hard left party determined to bring Ireland to Russia circa 1981

Renua are a crackpot hard right party determined to bring Ireland back to the 1950s

PBP are a crackpot hard left party determined to bring Ireland to Russia circa 1981

The parties of breadlines, one at an altar pretending to be the body of christ, the other a stale loaf of wholemeal outside the community cetre

Stealthirl wrote: »
    Is there any resign to not give Mac Mathuna (People Before Profit) and
    Séamus ӒRiain (Renua) a vote ?

Struggling this year to make a decision except i wont vote for Stagg or Frank (but i never have) id give Lab a vote but not Stagg.
    Why not Stagg. Believe me he was a great TD. He's done alot for people.
    Of course you have your own reasons and you don't have to share them.

There's no reason not to give MacMathuna a vote if you don't want Stagg.

A vote like
    MacMathuna 1,
    Murphy 2,
    Martin 3,
    Durkan 4,
    Lawless 5
    Makes perfect sense.

Now for me it isn't true because I want Emmett Stagg and Catherine Murphy.

So I vote Stagg 1 ,
    Murphy 2 ,
    MacMathuna 3 or Martin 3,
    Durkan 5,
    Lawlor or Lawless 6
    Cronin 8

I won't vote for Frank because of the mileage thing (Lawless takes the train to work and doesn't claim mileage ,though I believe he gets the whole cost of his leap card refunded, but as things to complain about politicians go that's not too much!) .

What way did they all vote on the abortion referendum?

Reada Cronin actively canvassed for Repeal.
    Catherine Murphy fully supported and her staff canvassed.
    Stagg and Durkan supported. I'm pretty sure Lawlor did too.
    O'Rourke completely against.
    Lawless was against but came out in favour a day or two before the referendum.
    Don't know about Martin but Green Party supported.
    PbP obviously in favour but not aware of anything this candidate has done - at all.
    Renua - obviously against.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Why not Stagg. Believe me he was a great TD. He's done alot for people.
    Of course you have your own reasons and you don't have to share them.
    My memory is that when he was a TD, Stagg was a great County Councillor.
    Not sure about the others but from memory both James Lawless dithered but then was for it and Frank O'Rourke was against repealing it.

Reada Cronin actively canvassed for Repeal.
    Catherine Murphy fully supported and her staff canvassed.
    Stagg and Durkan supported. I'm pretty sure Lawlor did too.
    O'Rourke completely against.
    Lawless was against but came out in favour a day or two before the referendum.
    Don't know about Martin but Green Party supported.
    PbP obviously in favour but not aware of anything this candidate has done - at all.
    Renua - obviously against.
    Thanks Orion - I might alter my pattern slightly to give Reada Cronin a higher preference.
    For some reason I thought she was against the right to have an abortion.
    My memory is that when he was a TD, Stagg as a great County Councillor.

Not sure about the others but from memory both James Lawless dithered but then was for it and Frank O'Rourke was against repealing it.
    That's a good line Seth!
    Love it!

Sorry Seth & Orion did Lawless vote in favour of the holding of the referendum. I'm not hugely concerned about how they campaigned on the issue during the referendum campaign.

Lawless stayed as far out of giving an opinion on it as possible afaik. Didnt vote to oppose at aby tume afaik.

Sorry Seth & Orion did Lawless vote in favour of the holding of the referendum. I'm not hugely concerned about how they campaigned on the issue during the referendum campaign.
    Who knows how thye voted (as it is a secret).
    He campaigned against it but then appeared to change his mind

From https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/anti-abortion-td-criticises-fellow-no-campaigners-1.3500458
    Mr Lawless said: “The absolutism of many No campaigners to countenance even the slightest change or any divergence from the status quo leaves behind a lot of the middle ground that may have be open to more moderate argument.

“Something has to give and it is a case of being part of that conversation or allow others to drive it. I think the majority of Irish people are in the middle but unfortunately this referendum has been reduced to two binary options, neither of which are palatable to many.

“The status quo is not working and I think a lot of Irish people get that but neither are they comfortable with the proposals on the table. I actually hold quite fundamental beliefs, I just don’t believe it is right to enforce them on others.”

In a survey by theJournal.ie, he said no to the following question: Are you personally in favour of repealing the Eighth Amendment of the Constitution?
    https://www.thejournal.ie/8th-amendment-td-survey-2772559-Jun2016/

Thanks Orion - I might alter my pattern slightly to give Reada Cronin a higher preference.
    For some reason I thought she was against the right to have an abortion.

That's a good line Seth!
    Love it!

Reada was an integral part of the Maynooth Repeal group. I say this out of fairness as I won't be voting SF anyway.

Lawless didn't vote against holding the referendum. He supported putting it to the people although was at the time going to vote no in it.
    O'Rourke did vote against having a referendum.

Who knows how thye voted (as it is a secret).
    He campaigned against it but then appeared to change his mind

We're talking about the Dail vote to hold a referendum. That's public.

a day or two before the referendum he went on radio saying was voting yes.

I see that now, thanks.

Yeah seeing women jammed into the places where the pro repeal organisation was being organised would make any politician change his mind!

Interesting odds. Martin might be worth a punt

500685.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

Reada was an integral part of the Maynooth Repeal group. I say this out of fairness as I won't be voting SF anyway.

Lawless didn't vote against holding the referendum. He supported putting it to the people although was at the time going to vote no in it.
    O'Rourke did vote against having a referendum.

O'Rourke also voted against the Thirty-sixth Amendment of the Constitution Bill 2018, when it could well be argued that he had a clear mandate from the electorate, and his constituency. Lawless voted in favour of the Bill, as did Murphy and Durkan.

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/debate/dail/2018-03-21/57/

The Oireachtas website is a great resource for finding out how the incumbent TD's have represented us in the last 4 years!

Advertisement