Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Frampton/Fury/Barnes fight card Windsor Park: Aug 18

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,627 ✭✭✭✭walshb

blade1 wrote: »
    There's more to it than that though isn't there?
    Say Wayne McCullough for instance.
    I wouldn't have classed him as strong or a defensive master.
    Yet if Wayne was in with that level of opponent that Barnes faced the other night, I reckon he would have wiped the floor with him.

Yes, the more being strength. Wayne was strong and very fit and had a rock solid chin. Barnes's chin I don't think will prove to be solid.

Wayne's workrate was insane and he was non stop punching. Barnes hasn't go this intensity, nor the physical strength of a McCullough...

Wayne had no punch, but he made up for it with a ridiculous volume, a great chin, excellent stamina and excellent heart.

And yes, Wayne would have eaten that lad alive. So would Paddy if Paddy had a bit more meat on his shots and a bit more physicality/body strength.

I wouldn't have classed him as strong or a defensive master.

Not a defensive master, but I think he was strong. Strong of mind, chin and body. Not super strong, but he got by with his stamina and chin as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,131 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

McCullogh was dedicated. As fit as a fiddle inside and outside camp. In fact he still is. His kind of fitness, strength and stamina was built up over years.

It strikes me that Barnes has not been as disciplined as a pro. Long breaks between fights and going into camp out of shape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,465 ✭✭✭✭blade1

walshb wrote: »
    Not a defensive master, but I think he was strong. Strong of mind, chin and body. Not super strong, but he got by with his stamina and chin as well.

So stamina and a chin not strong and defence!:D
    What I'm saying really is if you are not good at everything then you are going to have to be really good at at least one thing.
    I can't see anything that Paddy does at this level that is extra special.

So stamina and a chin not strong and defence!:D
    What I'm saying really is if you are not good at everything then you are going to have to be really good at at least one thing.
    I can't see anything that Paddy does at this level that is extra special.

It all kind of comes down to an overall blend of what he has to offer.

He has the feet, the fluidity with hands, the shot selection...

But that won't be enough, because he hasn't the punch or the strength or the physicality to allow these traits to work for 12 rds.

Separate: I'd actually argue that Wayne was p4p a heavier hitter...

Separate: I'd actually argue that Wayne was p4p a heavier hitter...

You would wouldn't you! :p :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

Just watching back the best of the action over the weekend. In fairness, Billy Joe very nearly caught Deontay with that piece of chicken.

Where does Paddy Barnes go now?

Can't see him progressing anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,131 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

You would wouldn't you! :p :pac:

Wayne defintely hit harder than Paddy. Look at his early wins, he was stopping most guys. Paddy only has one stoppage.
    Wayne was not a big puncher but guys like Morales and Hamed weren’t walking through his punches either so they must have respected his power.

Actually just typing those name you realise it’s ridiculous talking about this. Wayne as a pro was on another level to what Paddy ever will be.

• Advertisement

Actually just typing those name you realise it’s ridiculous talking about this. Wayne as a pro was on another level to what Paddy ever will be.

Another 3 levels.
    Wayne always left everything in the Ring.
    Phenomenal!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭thegrowreport

gwalk wrote: »
    He just about made featherweight for this fight, not a hope he gets back down to fight at super bantam

OOps my mistake. I meant to say that if Ryan Burnett was to fight TJ Doheny for an all Irish unification bout. They fight in the same weight class don't they?

And I see Josh Warrington is being suggested as the next opponent for Frampton. That fight could be well tasty!

TJ is 122. Burnett is 118.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

Burnett is tied up for a while with the WBSS anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Just watching back the best of the action over the weekend. In fairness, Billy Joe very nearly caught Deontay with that piece of chicken.

down the builder's yard?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Warren will probably have Barnes go down the WBO route. Few easy enough fights and he'll be magically right up there in their rankings ready for another world title shot.

• Advertisement

Warren a big fan of the WBO belt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭Morrison J

I'd be surprised if we see TJ Doheny fight over here for the foreseeable. There'll be plenty of money for him to fight in Japan now. Plenty of well ranked Japanese fighters being lined up to fight him. Can't see the sense in him coming over here fighting for less money at this stage of his career.

Morrison J wrote: »
    I'd be surprised if we see TJ Doheny fight over here for the foreseeable. There'll be plenty of money for him to fight in Japan now. Plenty of well ranked Japanese fighters being lined up to fight him. Can't see the sense in him coming over here fighting for less money at this stage of his career.

And he is an MTK fighter - will avoid Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,968 ✭✭✭ebbsy

You think he's miles away from fighting Wilder? As in ready and able and possibly able to win?

I meant fighting Joshua bud.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Strabanimal

Doubt me now.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 johnmc76

Yeah people from Strabane are understandable and not culchies with bootcut jeans and plaid shirts talking about their motors. Outside of the Tyrone GAA team I never associate myself with the county. Doesn't seem like you do either, enjoy your British boxing hype machine and watching the EPL.

LOL @ a product of hype calling someone else a product of hype. Irony and self awareness isn't Discount Conor's specialty.

Advertisement