Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frampton/Fury/Barnes fight card Windsor Park: Aug 18

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Strabanimal

walshb wrote: »
    More?

It was David Haye!🤔

And you are?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,641 ✭✭✭✭walshb

And you are?

walshb, duh!

See this is why I am certain you are not from Tyrone, you are deliberatley trying to give Tyrone people a bad name.

Mind you Strabane people are nuts

Yeah people from Strabane are understandable and not culchies with bootcut jeans and plaid shirts talking about their motors. Outside of the Tyrone GAA team I never associate myself with the county. Doesn't seem like you do either, enjoy your British boxing hype machine and watching the EPL.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

bobbyss wrote: »
    I saw Barnes rolling around on the floor. He was hit in the stomach I think? Bout over. Never seen that before.

Welcome to boxing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,931 ✭✭✭normanoffside

I saw Barnes rolling around on the floor. He was hit in the stomach I think? Bout over. Never seen that before.

It happens on occasion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭bobbyss

walshb wrote:
    Never seen a body shot KO?

walshb wrote:
    Well, if not then that was one of the best you could see..

No never. As I said I don't know much about boxing. I thought body shots were to wear the opponent down and then a ko to the face?
    Where is this solar plexus? Barnes fell like the proverbial sack of potatoes. Why do boxers punch the waist? Is it to hit the solar plexus or to soften someone up?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,087 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Are you being sarcastic? I didn't see the fight. Just logged on here to see result/commentary

If you were ever on the end of such a dig , sunk right in to the "sweet spot", you'd feckin' know about it. The wind just goes out of your body. You'll just crumple.

You can get stunned with a punch to the head and potentially stay up for long enough to recover through pure muscle memory and experience. But when you get hit properly to the body, you're only going in one direction - and that's down.

Yeah people from Strabane are understandable and not culchies with bootcut jeans and plaid shirts talking about their motors. Outside of the Tyrone GAA team I never associate myself with the county. Doesn't seem like you do either, enjoy your British boxing hype machine and watching the EPL.

No I won't!
    Pretty sure I haven't seen you at any Tyrone games this year, because you weren't there!
    What part of Strabane are you from, what's your club?

Where is this solar plexus?

In between the solar system and the Milky Way!

GGG got Macklin with a bodyshot.

Livershots happen all the time in MMA too. I was just thinking of the recent discussion about people never seeming to overcome them after they get hit in the liver hard and clean. Watch Scott Smith vs Pete Sell, only time I've seen a comeback. Smith suffered a few broken ribs from that body shot and looked in worse pain after the fight than the guy he knocked out did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

Who was up there last night, lads? Just wondering what is was actually like in the p1ssing rain?

I heard Tyson in the Post Fight Press Conference saying that the Belfast crowd gave him such a great response on the ring walk. Said it was the most epic ring walk ever - it didn't seem like that on the TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Who was up there last night, lads? Just wondering what is was actually like in the p1ssing rain?

I heard Tyson in the Post Fight Press Conference saying that the Belfast crowd gave him such a great response on the ring walk. Said it was the most epic ring walk ever - it didn't seem like that on the TV.

Thank you..... *pause to remember town you're currently in *..... Springfield. You're the best crowd ever. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Are you being sarcastic? I didn't see the fight. Just logged on here to see result/commentary

If you were ever on the end of such a dig , sunk right in to the "sweet spot", you'd feckin' know about it. The wind just goes out of your body. You'll just crumple.

You can get stunned with a punch to the head and potentially stay up for long enough to recover through pure muscle memory and experience. But when you get hit properly to the body, you're only going in one direction - and that's down.

No, not being sarcastic at all. Just ignorant of boxing.

The solar plexus is that part of your body where you get winded, where the stuffing gets knocked out of you, more or less?

But as I said before I have never seen a boxer been hit in the solar plexus before and collapse as Barnes did. At first I thought he was caught under the belt.

Is being caught in the solar plexus common in boxing? Or was it just a lucky punch from yer man? When boxers hit the body, is it to 'find' the solar plexus or just to generally weaken the opponent?

I would have seen Muhammad Ali box often. How often did he KO someone by finding the solar plexus?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭thegrowreport

aaand back on topic:

what did people think of Fury? I have not seen it yet - was he all that good? Was he a 'heavyweight Sugar Ray Leonard' as he said he would be?
    Is he REALLY back? Will he be good enough for Wilder or (as I suspect) he has talked his way back into one final big payday and then ride off into the sunset.

Poor ould Paddy Barnes. That finish looked painful. Where for him now? Few more fights to make a few quid or can he come back as a threat in the flyweight division?

And good for Carl Frampton. He has waited for a big night at Windsor Park and he got it in spades last night! Would love to see an all Irish Bantam weight unification bout between him and the newest Irish boxing champ - TJ Doheny!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

No never. As I said I don't know much about boxing. I thought body shots were to wear the opponent down and then a ko to the face?
    Where is this solar plexus? Barnes fell like the proverbial sack of potatoes. Why do boxers punch the waist? Is it to hit the solar plexus or to soften someone up?

If you google "Arturo Gatti" you will see what a good boxer can do with his body shots. I remember watching him years ago absolutely levelling a guy with a body shot, so much so that about 5 minutes after when the camera panned around the ring the lad was still down buckled with pain!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

And good for Carl Frampton. He has waited for a big night at Windsor Park and he got it in spades last night! Would love to see an all Irish Bantam weight unification bout between him and the newest Irish boxing champ - TJ Doheny!

He just about made featherweight for this fight, not a hope he gets back down to fight at super bantam

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Fury looks to be miles away from fighting Joshua. And he w'ont be prepared by fighting the likes of that guy on Saturday.

But then again he c'ant take a risk at this stage.

ebbsy wrote: »
    Fury looks to be miles away from fighting Joshua. And he w'ont be prepared by fighting the likes of that guy on Saturday.

But then again he c'ant take a risk at this stage.

You think he's miles away from fighting Wilder? As in ready and able and possibly able to win?

pac_man wrote: »
    Barnes has shown nothing in his short pro career before last night to suggest he'd be ready for a world title.
    He had the perfect opportunity last night against someone who isn't great but might still be improving due to his age.
    Barnes biggest issue for me from day one is his engine.

I've been reading online about him not being ready yet.

I don't think it has much to do with this. 6 fights or 60. He is who he is.

Little too weak for me to be at elite level. He has the punch mechanics and fluidity, but he has no power and no physical strength really. If he had a decent punch and some size/strength he would have beaten that lad the other night.

Paddy won't be able to keep off strong fighters who can punch.....he's just not strong enough, and he is no defensive master.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Paddy won't be able to keep off strong fighters who can punch.....he's just not strong enough, and he is no defensive master.

There's more to it than that though isn't there?
    Say Wayne McCullough for instance.
    I wouldn't have classed him as strong or a defensive master.
    Yet if Wayne was in with that level of opponent that Barnes faced the other night, I reckon he would have wiped the floor with him.

• Advertisement

blade1 wrote: »
    There's more to it than that though isn't there?
    Say Wayne McCullough for instance.
    Yet if Wayne was in with that level of opponent that Barnes faced the other night, I reckon he would have wiped the floor with him.

Yes, the more being strength. Wayne was strong and very fit and had a rock solid chin. Barnes's chin I don't think will prove to be solid.

Wayne's workrate was insane and he was non stop punching. Barnes hasn't go this intensity, nor the physical strength of a McCullough...

Wayne had no punch, but he made up for it with a ridiculous volume, a great chin, excellent stamina and excellent heart.

And yes, Wayne would have eaten that lad alive. So would Paddy if Paddy had a bit more meat on his shots and a bit more physicality/body strength.

Not a defensive master, but I think he was strong. Strong of mind, chin and body. Not super strong, but he got by with his stamina and chin as well.

McCullogh was dedicated. As fit as a fiddle inside and outside camp. In fact he still is. His kind of fitness, strength and stamina was built up over years.

It strikes me that Barnes has not been as disciplined as a pro. Long breaks between fights and going into camp out of shape.

Not a defensive master, but I think he was strong. Strong of mind, chin and body. Not super strong, but he got by with his stamina and chin as well.

So stamina and a chin not strong and defence!:D
    What I'm saying really is if you are not good at everything then you are going to have to be really good at at least one thing.
    I can't see anything that Paddy does at this level that is extra special.

So stamina and a chin not strong and defence!:D
    What I'm saying really is if you are not good at everything then you are going to have to be really good at at least one thing.
    I can't see anything that Paddy does at this level that is extra special.

It all kind of comes down to an overall blend of what he has to offer.

He has the feet, the fluidity with hands, the shot selection...

But that won't be enough, because he hasn't the punch or the strength or the physicality to allow these traits to work for 12 rds.

Separate: I'd actually argue that Wayne was p4p a heavier hitter...

Separate: I'd actually argue that Wayne was p4p a heavier hitter...

You would wouldn't you! :p :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭anthonyjmaher

Just watching back the best of the action over the weekend. In fairness, Billy Joe very nearly caught Deontay with that piece of chicken.

Where does Paddy Barnes go now?

Where does Paddy Barnes go now?

Can't see him progressing anyway.

You would wouldn't you! :p :pac:

Wayne defintely hit harder than Paddy. Look at his early wins, he was stopping most guys. Paddy only has one stoppage.
    Wayne was not a big puncher but guys like Morales and Hamed weren’t walking through his punches either so they must have respected his power.

Actually just typing those name you realise it’s ridiculous talking about this. Wayne as a pro was on another level to what Paddy ever will be.

• Advertisement

Actually just typing those name you realise it’s ridiculous talking about this. Wayne as a pro was on another level to what Paddy ever will be.

Another 3 levels.
    Wayne always left everything in the Ring.
    Phenomenal!

Advertisement