Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison Officer Recruitment 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Dr_Champion

I wonder what the figure will be applying to this ? I dont think it will be any where near the figure the Garda recruitment got.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Young cub

Hi there, just wondering does anybody know what the pay is like after the 3 years you serve as a recruit??

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭scullersky

Young cub wrote: »
    Hi there, just wondering does anybody know what the pay is like after the 3 years you serve as a recruit??

If be interested to know this too, I though it would be outlined better in the job spec

• Registered Users Posts: 39 OskerWilde!

Just wondering can any answer this...

Prison officers working hours or roster.?
    I'm thinking long term if I'm lucky enough to get in.
    Also payscale as I've been a guard for years so have service built up and also pension .

Thinking of the future and have kids so just wondering what the hours are/days off etc.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Shane Fitz

Just wondering can any answer this...

Prison officers working hours or roster.?
    I'm thinking long term if I'm lucky enough to get in.
    Also payscale as I've been a guard for years so have service built up and also pension .

Thinking of the future and have kids so just wondering what the hours are/days off etc.

Thanks
    From what I've read it's 8 to 8 day duty and nights. And You've a 7 over 14 roster and nights every 10 or so weeks roughly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭OL16

Am I mad applying at age 48?! Condition's of job, pension, et cetera. Am I wasting my time, and there's.

Thanks for replies in advance.

Well I'm 34 and Mother of two young kids and I thought I was mad too. But sure the age cut off is gone and if they think we're not suitable they won't be long about telling us..😉

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭OL16

Ah sur your only a young wan!! And what you say is true too. ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Wolf00

Well I'm 34 and Mother of two young kids and I thought I was mad too. But sure the age cut off is gone and if they think we're not suitable they won't be long about telling us..😉

I'm 37 and a mother of 3. I have applied, we have as good a chance as everyone else... hopefully

Just a quick one;
    Do recruits get paid while in port Laois on training for the first 12 weeks? Like the student guards get paid etc..I know it's small but with travel expenses etc.

Are there digs available there too? I presume it's Monday to Friday..

I know nobody has heard back yet until after closing date but just a few qs I'd like to throw out there

Thanx..;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Yaknowyourself

Oskerwilde:

Yes accommodation is provided Monday to Friday, you do get paid while training, it'll be just basic wages with maybe the rent allowance (high chance of this coming in) you won't get the operational or annualised hours or any other allowances until your 12 weeks is complete and you start working in the prison.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Yaknowyourself

Oskerwilde:

Yes accommodation is provided Monday to Friday, you do get paid while training, it'll be just basic wages with maybe the rent allowance (high chance of this coming in) you won't get the operational or annualised hours or any other allowances until your 12 weeks is complete and you start working in the prison.

If any of ye want to know any information private mail me, I maybe able to answer a few of ye're questions. Best of luck :)

Oskerwilde:

If any of ye want to know any information private mail me, I maybe able to answer a few of ye're questions. Best of luck :)

Thanks for the reply and private messages too guys...😉

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭dunner515

Has anyone got the pay scales for prison officer?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

Oskerwilde:

I'd be waiting in the Garda claim is finalized before believing that, its close to 5k !

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭po candidate

Hi Folks,

I am just wondering if anyone has heard something similar

I did stage two (Supervised tests) of Emergency call taker recently and passed. I am almost sure I heard the lady in Publicjobs say on the day of these tests (Just before the tests began) that should you pass stage two, your panel number from this competition could be transferred to any other competition within the next 12 months!! I was pretty nervous on the day so I may have completely misunderstood so just wondering if anyone else has gone through a recent competition and heard the same?

Thanks guys

Apptitudes out,,,!!!!

Fingers crossed.ðŸ˜

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭gavdolfini

Any idea on the numbers going for this?. Thread is no where near as active as the Garda one :confused::):)

There's two similar posts and this is 1. I've been watching both but none have too much activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭stripmymind

I'm currently awaiting interview in the Garda campaign but I've also applied to this as it equally interests me. Anybody have any idea of pay scales and where training takes place etc? ..

• Advertisement

I was a guard back in 2002 for years, resigned recently. I was lucky enough to have joined "in the good times" but it's gone to pot now! No real overtime like before, depends where your stationed. Training is different these days.
    I've now applied for prison service. Great overtime and money to be made when you've enough service done and your willing to take it.
    You're dealing with all sorts whereas in prison service, you really are dealing with the lowest of the low and prisons are smelly places, believe me. But it's a steady pensionable job and a decent wage packet when you're finished being a recruit!

I was a guard back in 2002 for years, resigned recently. I was lucky enough to have joined "in the good times" but it's gone to pot now! No real overtime like before, depends where your stationed. Training is different these days.
    I've now applied for prison service. Great overtime and money to be made when you've enough service done and your willing to take it.
    You're dealing with all sorts whereas in prison service, you really are dealing with the lowest of the low and prisons are smelly places, believe me. But it's a steady pensionable job and a decent wage packet when you're finished being a recruit!
    Do you have any idea on what the pay is like once you're finished the training for the prison officer job that is.
    And what do you mean by "overtime" (I know what overtime is) but just wondering what you mean in this case.
    Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Leanne7011

Hi! I'm also a mother of two young children.. I know it's a while away yet and if we are accepted, have you thought about the 12 week training course? I'm living in Cork with little support so kids would have to travel with me.. am I mad 😂

Leanne7011 wrote: »
    Hi! I'm also a mother of two young children.. I know it's a while away yet and if we are accepted, have you thought about the 12 week training course? I'm living in Cork with little support so kids would have to travel with me.. am I mad 😂

Well it's classroom based training Monday to friday 9-5! Single ensuite accommodation is provided. And don't forget it's likely placement after is a Dublin prison.
    What would u do with children while u are in class all day? Are they not in school?
    Mine are in school til 2 but I'll sort Aupair for a few months.hubby has one day off too. What about working then the 8-8 shifts etc??

Ive one child aswel (I'm male) ... And even I worry about that as the child lives with me. I feel that the govt are looking for experienced (older) people 25+ for these upcoming public jobs. I feel it'll work to our advantage. I cannot see an 18 year old fresh out of school going straight In. I know there's no age restriction and I have a hunch that's why.
    Similar to the gaurds, u rarely meet a teenager gaurd.

Well it's classroom based training Monday to friday 9-5! Single ensuite accommodation is provided. And don't forget it's likely placement after is a Dublin prison.
    What would u do with children while u are in class all day? Are they not in school?
    Mine are in school til 2 but I'll sort Aupair for a few months.hubby has one day off too. What about working then the 8-8 shifts etc??

My children are nearly 1 and 4. I've spent the last 5 years in ucc so the classes and long shifts arent a problem. I didn't know accommodation was provided but obviously that wouldn't suit me, I would have to move the kids up with me or drive up and down. I was just wondering if any other parents are considering moving the kids up for the 12 week course?

I've had au pairs before, they're great.

So the 8-8 shifts, does that consist of 3 days on 4 days off or does anyone know?

Thanks

Ive one child aswel (I'm male) ... And even I worry about that as the child lives with me. I feel that the govt are looking for experienced (older) people 25+ for these upcoming public jobs. I feel it'll work to our advantage. I cannot see an 18 year old fresh out of school going straight In. I know there's no age restriction and I have a hunch that's why.
    Similar to the gaurds, u rarely meet a teenager gaurd.

I agree!

It's going to be hard for those with children to sort out minders for the moving around though. I know I might not even get the job but I have to think about if I do really early

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Geraldo69

Hi guys great news I got the job. I'm an ex navy seal and they signed me to 1000000 a year contract with dental and are making me the general of the prison officers. I hope to see you all soon

Geraldo69 wrote: »
    Hi guys great news I got the job. I'm an ex navy seal and they signed me to 1000000 a year contract with dental and are making me the general of the prison officers. I hope to see you all soon

Well done that's great! You must be delighted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭jimmythedivil

Talking to people who work in the prison service one of the worst aspects of the job is having to work in Dublin for an indefinite amount of time and Cork has one of the longest waiting lists. You could be waiting for anything up to twenty years before getting a transfer to Cork.

Advertisement