Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Severe Winter Weather: ESSENTIAL PREPARATIONS, TRAVEL ADVICE, DRIVING TIPS & CLOSURES

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

I've bought my wife a new brush in case the power goes and she can't use the vacuum, she can still clean the house.

I'd say it might come in handy for her for something else as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

Cleaning her teeth?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Cleaning her teeth?

Opening the attic door it's handy for as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Any nature boffins with tips for helping the birds. We have a few that visit the garden regularly. Most notably 3 robins who rule with iron beaks :D

Also would the likes of crows and magpies be as vulnerable as the smaller birds in weather like this?

Enclosed back garden with (indoor) dogs so I'm assuming we don't need to think about hedgehogs and urban foxes?

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭selassie

If a red warning is issued are third level colleges/universities closed automatically or is it still up to the dept of education or individual college/Uni's?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

selassie wrote: »
    If a red warning is issued are third level colleges/universities closed automatically or is it still up to the dept of education or individual college/Uni's?

All close automatically

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,231 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Chivito550 wrote: »
    I’m going to Birmingham for the World Indoor Athletics Championships on Thursday to Monday. Flying from Dublin Thursday lunchtime. The championships start Thursday evening.

What’s the percentage likelihood right now based on forecasts that my flight will be cancelled?

'percentage likelihood'

You'll be paying for those sort of maths!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,231 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

All close automatically

Wrong, that's only for wind. They'll all probably close under an order, however it's not automatic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

https://www.education.ie/en/Schools-Colleges/Information/National-Emergencies-Public-Health-Issues/Schools-and-Severe-Weather.pdf

That’s the schools info on weather warnings. Unless the minister announces a full closure, red warning in and itself doesn’t necessarily mean closure.

My own school however is up and down steep hills on roads that are not treated. I have little doubt we will have to close. It wouldn’t be safe

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭donal.hunt

https://www.education.ie/en/Schools-Colleges/Information/National-Emergencies-Public-Health-Issues/Schools-and-Severe-Weather.pdf

That’s the schools info on weather warnings. Unless the minister announces a full closure, red warning in and itself doesn’t necessarily mean closure.

My own school however is up and down steep hills on roads that are not treated. I have little doubt we will have to close. It wouldn’t be safe

The school closures are more or less enforced if Bus Éireann school services are not running. And as far as i know, they won't run in red alert conditions. Given it's snow and ice forecast, if probably won't even take a red alert to cancel services.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tromtipp

Birds need fresh water daily.

I have a rookery in my garden and in the last really cold winters I fed them with dampened down complete dog food (the stuff you can get in big bags in supermarkets). I didn't give them huge quantities but it seemed to help - there were twice as many nests in 2010, I think they'd decided they were safe here.

For small birds, keep up whatever feeding regime you usually follow, and keep cats indoors, as the birds will be more vulnerable than usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

My preparations? I think I'll clean my golf clubs for Sunday when its going to be 14 degrees again.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,302 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Wrong, that's only for wind. They'll all probably close under an order, however it's not automatic.

Apologies. Had been told from someone in the dept of education that guidance was orange is up to each school / college and red being a take action warning was a straight closure. Given the link above clearly they hadn't read their own departments document

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭g0g

Less serious, but don't forget toboggans!!! Was in Carrickmines yesterday and 53°N was only shop with any left, and there was 40% off them too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Rogueish

During Ophelia I discovered that we didn't have (couldn't find) matches and candles were scarce. I had bought in extra water and still have it. Will get some more.

Yesterday I popped into Tesco and stocked up on candles, matches, torches including two small wind ups. I have the grocery shopping to do today so will stock up on food for freezer friendly meals. Saying that I have a gas hob so cooking hasn't been a problem before. Will prob order two bags of coal tomorrow too, the woodshed is well stocked enough..

The electronic devices and power packs will have to stay powered up. Might pick up a couple of hot water bottles too. Note to self a proper hob top kettle would be a good idea..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

I might just get up 5 minutes earlier to clear any frost/snow from the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

listermint wrote: »
    Eh just buy a wrap of pipe insulation it's a couple of euro.

We're not living in the hills of Albania

I'm living in the hills of North Cork Tipperary- is that close?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

g0g wrote: »
    Less serious, but don't forget toboggans!!! Was in Carrickmines yesterday and 53°N was only shop with any left, and there was 40% off them too!

One of the best and most dangerous toboggans I've ever seen was an old car bonnet with a bit of washing line tied to holes punched in the front corners to hand on to - those were the days :D

Safe enough for the rider but dangerous for anyone else on the slope at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

my3cents wrote: »
    Depends on the rate of flow. We had a field trough that comes off the house supply that leaked a lot, when I fixed it the whole line that fed it froze up in cold weather when it never had when there was the leak.

Obviously water flowing through the pipe is warmer than the freezing point of water so if the water runs through the pipe then it can warm the pipe on the inside faster than its loosing heat from the outside. Because physics.

Just don't waste water!

Not to belabour the 'because physics' bit, but if temperatures around a pipe are low enough for long enough, it's freezing.

Off topic, and counterintuitivelly, if the water is hot enough, it may actually freeze faster.

https://arxiv.org/pdf/physics/0512262.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Clamball

In the last long cold snap in 2010 people did take to walking on the road for better grip as the footpath were lethal with slick frozen snow. Neighbours were out trying to remove the solid frozen ice but made little progress. Eventually the ptb recommended that all households spread ashes from the fire on the footpaths outside their own house to help with grip. Once one person in our street started to do this everyone was out. It worked perfectly, and when the snow eventually melted it was a simple matter to sweep up the ash. In a town/city you are responsible for the footpath outside your house so be a good neighbour and help with the grip.

• Advertisement

Clamball wrote: »
    In the last long cold snap in 2010 people did take to walking on the road for better grip as the footpath were lethal with slick frozen snow. Neighbours were out trying to remove the solid frozen ice but made little progress. Eventually the ptb recommended that all households spread ashes from the fire on the footpaths outside their own house to help with grip. Once one person in our street started to do this everyone was out. It worked perfectly, and when the snow eventually melted it was a simple matter to sweep up the ash. In a town/city you are responsible for the footpath outside your house so be a good neighbour and help with the grip.
    Funny how short intergenerational memory is. That would have been a matter of course for your great granny.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭snow_bunny

I've seen pretty much every species of bird in the garden this morning thanks to word spreading about the great food!

There's been an Amuse-bouche followed by an 8-course taster menu, all served up since 7am. The menu included soaked dried fruit, porridge oats, sunflower seeds, mixed nuts, sausages, apples and suet balls...they're all absolutely stuffed!

Time to convert the old baking tray into a hot tub for later in the week!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

I'm stocking up on the double because Wednesday and Thursday will be mayhem
    IMAG7001_zpsvwgtx4ja.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭mobil 222

snow_bunny wrote: »
    I've seen pretty much every species of bird in the garden this morning thanks to word spreading about the great food!

There's been an Amuse-bouche followed by an 8-course taster menu, all served up since 7am. The menu included soaked dried fruit, porridge oats, sunflower seeds, mixed nuts, sausages, apples and suet balls...they're all absolutely stuffed!

Time to convert the old baking tray into a hot tub for later in the week!

Where were the crows :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

It's going to be the worst snowfall since 1982 here is dublin back then
    IMAG10970_zpsceh0awwt.jpg

I've bought my wife a new brush in case the power goes and she can't use the vacuum, she can still clean the house.
    Do ye have a son called Bert?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057844974
    Yeah. That didn’t work out.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Don't forget to insulate outside taps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭minibear

I just remembered something else that catches us every time when the power goes. Our cordless phones won't work if there's no power. So if you can root out or buy an old fashioned plug straight into the socket phone it would at least ensure you still have that. Particularly important for older people living alone, especially if it's rural. (sorry if it's already been mentioned, I haven't read every post)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

listermint wrote: »
    Eh just buy a wrap of pipe insulation it's a couple of euro.

We're not living in the hills of Albania

My horses poop is free. Beat that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭mobil 222

At the end of the day I would safely say there is not one person here that has found the weather threads useful in some way
    I remember coming on here about 10 days back when there was mention of cold weather and the possibility of snow.
    It would have been very easy to switch off and have a laugh to myself, or come on here and make rude remarks and not give a sh..t about who you might be offending.
    I am here to listen, to take advise on board, agree or disagree with it.
    I checked my water meter yesterday and found no insulation in the pipe up to ground level.,that was mentioned here on Friday and the chances of it freezing.
    Protecting the connection on your Gas Cylinder, small but very important.
    And a small thing like changing water for the birds.
    Folks I for one is very appreciative of what goes on here.
    We should look at the work that has been done over the years by a lot of posters which takes a fair bit of time to organise

I am situated on the North west coast which has taken its toll over the years and reading the weather threads has been a source of 'lets say satisfaction' at most times.
    There are not many posters her covering the Sligo area but I do remember a few years back during one of the bad storms how someone had made a comment about all the trees on the Sligo /Manorhamilton road and the dangers of them falling. That afternoon I was due to use that road to check out a work related item in that very area that had been mentioned.
    I waited the few hours until the worst was over and as I was 5 Mile out the Manorhamilton road I encountered a blockage.

I was told that in a small section of the road people were caught with downed trees each side of them and they could not move.
    So I look at it now I could have been on the road at the height of the storm and entered this bad section for trees ,,, but I took note of what the person had mentioned on boards. It could have saved my life ! that answer I will never know.

So I say again people who are doing the hard work here are doing it for a reason and not for the fun of it, or to annoy people.

At the end of next week if all this has happened on the East and South Coasts
    i will probally turn around and say' Good enought for ye' and if it comes my side ' Thats yer fault ' and if it does not come at all ' thats every ones fault':D:D:D:D
    I rest my case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭ironkiwi

Anyone know where I can get snow/ice grips for shoes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

ironkiwi wrote: »

The internet is a wonderful place for finding out things :D

https://www.google.ie/search?q=ice+grips+for+shoes&oq=ice+grios&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l3.9015j0j7&client=ms-android-xiaomi&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭snow_bunny

mobil 222 wrote: »
    Where were the crows :D

They took off to the roof with some of the sausages, my view wasn't good enough for them!:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Going to go get some coal and kindling today, some bird food for the wild birds. We currently throw stuff on the ground for them but I'm sure specific food in a hanger will be better if there's snow on the ground.
    Will do an online shop for delivery Tuesday afternoon. Just some extra bread, milk, water and cupboard food. Maybe some cigarette lighters too.
    Got new wellies for the toddler, have his snow suit ready. would LOVE to get a sled I can pull along. I'm wondering if I couldn't make one from a plastic Tesco grocery box. It has holes in the bottom though so would get stuck? Any ideas there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

gozunda wrote: »
    Well rotted Horse manure from a heap is an active heat source - if you can get your hands (!) on any ... ;)

Sure is,used to dig holes in the muck heap on cold days and put my frozen feet in, exceptionally warm, even if it was smelly as a kid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭brookers

The amount of people who dont even know that snow is coming this week is unreal, mentioned it to at least 4 people this morning and all had not heard anything and one even saying this will never happen, just more hype etc...I reckon a lot of people will be badly caught out, I just hope the farmers are bringing their ewes and lambs down from hills into sheltered areas......

I’ve personally compiled a ‘go kit’ inspired by the SAS. It consists of 2 weeks worth of MRE’s, a water purification rig, hand and foot warmers, an emergency beacon, a summit suit and a small (30 min bottle) of O2. Also a set of Yak Trax

I’m concerned this might not be enough for this code red event? Any other suggestions on things to add?

A sense of humor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

I just did a full stocktake. I have enough food provisions in to last until 23rd March on full rations. I have enough fuel to last until April. Water shouldn't be a problem.

For emergency, I have already identified the neighbour and family member that I will eat first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,212 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

brookers wrote: »
    The amount of people who dont even know that snow is coming this week is unreal, mentioned it to at least 4 people this morning and all had not heard anything and one even saying this will never happen, just more hype etc...I reckon a lot of people will be badly caught out, I just hope the farmers are bringing their ewes and lambs down from hills into sheltered areas......

I agree. I'm getting a lot of eye rolling when I mention it. If some get caught out, I've little sympathy for them. No excuse in this day and age. However I do hope people remain blissful until I stock up tomorrow.:D

Another thought if not already mentioned, might be a good idea to keep the car filled up with fuel. You never know if you need to make an emergency run or if you'll be able to fill up if you can get out on the road. A spare can of fuel might also be a good idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Whispered wrote: »
    Any nature boffins with tips for helping the birds. We have a few that visit the garden regularly. Most notably 3 robins who rule with iron beaks :D

Also would the likes of crows and magpies be as vulnerable as the smaller birds in weather like this?

Enclosed back garden with (indoor) dogs so I'm assuming we don't need to think about hedgehogs and urban foxes?

There'll be no fear of crows anyway the baxtards

I agree. I’m lambing at the moment but am also at the ready to kill some of my stock for their wool if the house insulation and heating system fails.

You’ll also need a pick axe handle with a few nails driven through the end for when the post snowpocalypse zombie hordes arrive.

Probably no harm throwing a few wraps of barbed wire round the end as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭iPhone.

Does anyone know where I can get chains for my car. Am thinking I might be needing them

HERE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

ironkiwi wrote: »

Dealz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I’ve personally compiled a ‘go kit’ inspired by the SAS. It consists of 2 weeks worth of MRE’s, a water purification rig, hand and foot warmers, an emergency beacon, a summit suit and a small (30 min bottle) of O2. Also a set of Yak Trax

I’m concerned this might not be enough for this code red event? Any other suggestions on things to add?

Move from Alaska.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Dreading this because of having to travel to and from work, but very appreciative of all those who are sharing their expertise. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭sdanseo

iPhone. wrote: »

Those Snow Socks are €22 in MicksGarage instead of €75 in halfords:
    https://www.micksgarage.com/d/tyre-snow-socks/products

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Have the BBQ ready and my camping stove! I've also filled up a 25 litre demi john just in case!

sdanseo wrote: »
    Those Snow Socks are €22 in MicksGarage instead of €75 in halfords:
    https://www.micksgarage.com/d/tyre-snow-socks/products

You can pick them up today in Halfords. Online purchase will likely be late. Halfords are on the ball. Wonder what they were charging in December?

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Have some rope in the car. If you get stuck just wrap some around the wheels as it helps to get grip.

• Advertisement
Advertisement